Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2007, 15:39   #91
BHPian

Warming up

Warming up as in

1. Turning the ingnition key and wait for a while before cranking?
2. Idling till the temp indiacator touches the base mark?

Talking about a petrol car. I ask the first Q since once a driver form my Corsa dealer said just turn your ignition key and wait before you start the engine.

Last edited by wheelsNsqueals : 8th August 2007 at 15:47. Reason: forgot to mention details
Old 8th August 2007, 16:13   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Folks,

Running-in is more than just limiting the car to a high RPM/Speed and not pushing it beyond a specified limit. Run in is a process that is typically refered to Engine because it needs running in the most. Engine piston and cylinder are machined to a high degree of tolerence. Piston runs at a very high speed in the cylinder which makes engine more suseptable to damage. Engine is also the hottest part of the car. For the above main reasons Run in is required most for an Engine rather than any other parts of the car. Other car parts do need running in but in relatively lower scale.
i was about to make the same post...

the reason the factories leaves high tolerances in the engine is because metal expands and the gaps get filled in basically. drive the car fast in the beginning and the metal will expand wrongly and your engine might seize or you'll have degraded performance

which comes to blueprinting the engine.

what these guys do is polish your piston heads, and reduce the tolerances so that everything that moves inside the engine is a perfect fit.

which is why you should always get any mods etc done after your car has done it's run in..

Old 14th August 2007, 15:26   #93
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am running in my new Palio Stile 1.6 Sports. I took it to Agra when it had done just 26kms on the ODO. The whole way i kept the car under 2500 rpm across gears and had a top speed of 85 in the 5th. Got a FE of 12.2 on the highway. I am thinking of following this only till 1000 kms after which ill get the oil & oil filter changed and then take the RPM's upto 3000 rpm till the car reaches 1500 kms.

Post that i'll rip. Is that OK?

Last edited by ReNaGade : 14th August 2007 at 15:27. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 14th August 2007, 16:42   #94
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Renegade,

You are on the right track; just remember to increase the self-imposed revv limits gradually.
Old 14th August 2007, 18:26   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNaGade View Post
Hi Guys,

I am running in my new Palio Stile 1.6 Sports. I took it to Agra when it had done just 26kms on the ODO. The whole way i kept the car under 2500 rpm across gears and had a top speed of 85 in the 5th. Got a FE of 12.2 on the highway. I am thinking of following this only till 1000 kms after which ill get the oil & oil filter changed and then take the RPM's upto 3000 rpm till the car reaches 1500 kms.

Run in till about 2.5k. I did that with mine. The engine is super smooth and the FE i get is also pretty good. The dealer tells me its more than what others with the same car are getting. Change oil, oil filter and air filter ( not really required ) at 1000kms.
Old 4th September 2007, 14:44   #96
BHPian

I am currently running in my new Getz by keeping the revs below 2K and up-sifting at 1800 / 2000 rpm. Currently I have just 150 kms on the odo, and I plan to do the oil change at the first service.

BTW, the car manual says -
"Maintain the engine speed between 2000 and 4000 revs."

I didn't understand this. How can we drive with the rpm between that range. Has anyone come across such an instruction in your manuals?
Old 4th September 2007, 15:51   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
I am currently running in my new Getz by keeping the revs below 2K and up-sifting at 1800 / 2000 rpm. Currently I have just 150 kms on the odo, and I plan to do the oil change at the first service.

I didn't understand this. How can we drive with the rpm between that range. Has anyone come across such an instruction in your manuals?
follow the manual, but ensure that the progression between the rpm limits are smooth and not flooring.
Old 4th September 2007, 16:15   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post

They dont ask you to drive between only this, its just what they feel is best for your car, engine and FE. thats what i feel.
Old 4th September 2007, 18:36   #99

This is my first post here. Need some suggestion from you experts. Its been one month I bought my Alto Lxi. Just comleted my first servicing. Reading this thread i got to know that synthetic oil should not be used along with engine oil in the first service. But my Maruti service guy told that some lubricant oil will ease the engine operation and really good for my engine. So I asked him to put that which cost around 450 bucks extra. I believe that was synthetic oil.(Do not remember the name he told)

My question: Will it really ruin the run in process of my car? If so is there any way out to..

Somebody told me that Initially I should always keep the A/C on so that the engine is tuned to take the load, is it true?

What is the Gear:Speed ration of Alto?

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by rajib28 : 4th September 2007 at 18:48.
Old 7th September 2007, 09:11   #100

cypher, thanks for the question. was wondering if I was the only guy on this forum who found keeping the car at 3500 RPM difficult. i own a verna and the verna manual says the same - rpm between 2000 and 4000. Really tried hard to keep the rpm at 3500 after the first service. i have given up. in the city, where the bulk of the running in is going to happen (atleast in my case), there is no way I am going to do anything more than 2000 rpm on an average.
Old 7th September 2007, 10:49   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNaGade View Post
Hi Guys,

Key to proper run in is continuos variation of Speed/Engine RPM. Please vary engine RPM from 1500-2500 RPM for first 1000 KM. then after the oil change increase the RPM range to 3000 till about 1500 KM and then increase to 3500 RPM till about 2000. After 2000 you can rip.

It is also advisable to do an Italian tune up every week after 2000 KM of run. An Italian tune up is redlining the car after the engine warms up by gradual accelaration and then holding the RPM around redline for about 30 sec to a minute. This pushes the engine to its limits and ensure proper mating of piston with Cyclinder. It also removes deposits in the engine to some extent.

Advantages of Italian Tuneup -
1. Increases Engine compression and bring is close to the specs.
2. Reduces Oil burn and loss of engine oil.
3. Increases FE on the long run.
4. Reduces deposits on the cyclinder walls. Decarbonization of engine can be delayed to as late as 40000 KM.

Caution - Accelarate Gradually to redline only after the engine has attained warm up temperature (Temprature dial should have moved up half way).
Old 11th September 2007, 12:55   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirosden View Post
cypher, thanks for the question. was wondering if I was the only guy on this forum who found keeping the car at 3500 RPM difficult. i own a verna and the verna manual says the same - rpm between 2000 and 4000. Really tried hard to keep the rpm at 3500 after the first service. i have given up. in the city, where the bulk of the running in is going to happen (atleast in my case), there is no way I am going to do anything more than 2000 rpm on an average.

Dirosden, I agree. Up-shifting at 2K revs feels normal for the car. Taking the engine to 3K feels like I'm pushing it. 4K would be "race-mode" I guess.

Driving between 2K and 4K, sounds like Hyundai are suggesting a hard run-in. Is that correct?

I asked my dealer and he told me to keep the revs low. So, I'm sticking below 2K revs for now.
Old 13th September 2007, 07:40   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
As long as you don't exceed the limits its okay. 50kmph for 4th gear is fine, wherein 40kmph will be a bit low.
When company says shift to 4th gear at 40, its for mileage, runin limits are close to 80kmph for 4th gear.

Anyone knows when is the best speed to shift gears when it comes to Aveo 1.4?
Old 13th September 2007, 12:04   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajib28 View Post
This is my first post here. Need some suggestion from you experts. Its been one month I bought my Alto Lxi. Just comleted my first servicing. Reading this thread i got to know that synthetic oil should not be used along with engine oil in the first service. But my Maruti service guy told that some lubricant oil will ease the engine operation and really good for my engine. So I asked him to put that which cost around 450 bucks extra. I believe that was synthetic oil.(Do not remember the name he told)
welcome to the forum. it will be an engine oil additive it cannot be a synthetic oil.it costs around Rs.650-800 per ltr.synthetic oil should be used after 10k on odo.it will not ruin your engine it might delay the run in process

Last edited by ad75 : 13th September 2007 at 12:12.
Old 4th October 2007, 16:46   #105

i'm buying a Zen Estilo. would it be ok if I took the car out on a 1300 km road trip a couple of days after buying it? it's going to be open highway 99% of the way.Im getting the car in 2 days and planning the road trip next week.

Last edited by GTO : 4th October 2007 at 17:56. Reason: Please do NOT type in SMS / Short form typing style and with excessive dots (.......). Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks