Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 09:26   #136
J.Ravi

Nowadays, even car thieves have become innovative, according to this report in today's Deccan Herald:
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT-vehiclelifting.jpg  

Old 5th May 2010, 21:55   #137
BANNED

Nice Thread!!
I was wondering if anybody knows a way to test if the engine immobilizer is really working. (Assuming i don’t trust the dashboard indicator)
I ask because of my neighbour’s experience. His Scorpio which had an engine immobilizer was stolen from outside his door. He has no clue how they were able to take it but is suspecting that the immobilizer was disabled at the service station when the car went in for a service.
Comments are welcome.
Old 5th May 2010, 22:07   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfilinto View Post
Nice Thread!!
I was wondering if anybody knows a way to test if the engine immobilizer is really working. (Assuming i don’t trust the dashboard indicator)
I ask because of my neighbour’s experience. His Scorpio which had an engine immobilizer was stolen from outside his door. He has no clue how they were able to take it but is suspecting that the immobilizer was disabled at the service station when the car went in for a service.
Comments are welcome.

Make a print of the immobilizer equipped key and get a copy made from the local locksmith. The car should not start with the bare metal copy (keep the original immobilizer key away, maybe 50 meters).
Old 24th May 2010, 10:37   #139
BHPian

Coolest Anti-Car Jacking Device... side flamethrowers from South Africa

Not really a practical application, but I think that these side-mounted flamethrowers will deter any would-be carjacker . Why isn't this available in India?

Here is the video for it:
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:21   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay123 View Post
Guys we can also use tire locks like this but I doubt if these are available in India.

Hi,

Now a days Bengalooru traffic cops are using like this device to lock the cars those parked in NO parking area.
Attached Images

Old 22nd June 2010, 19:58   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarao View Post
Hi,

Now a days Bengalooru traffic cops are using like this device to lock the cars those parked in NO parking area.
This and gear locks are available from Index of /
Old 16th July 2010, 18:53   #142
Senior - BHPian

Warning From Police !!!

Today I got an Email forwarded: I thought it could be useful to all.

WARNING FROM POLICE !!!
Subject: Warning From Indian Police Dept - It can happen to anyone....Warning. .!!!!

WARNING FROM POLICE:THIS APPLIES TO BOTH WOMEN AND MEN BEWARE OF PAPER ON THE BACK WINDOW OF YOUR VEHICLE. NEW WAY TO DO CAR-JACKINGS.

Heads up everyone! Please keep this circulating. You walk across the car park, unlock your car and get inside. You start the engine and put it into Reverse.
When you look into the rear-view mirror to back out of your space, you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear screen. So you stop,and jump out of your car to remove that paper (or whatever it is), because it is obstructing your view. Then when you reach the back of your car, is when the car-jackers appear out of nowhere. They jump in and take off. They practically run you over as they speed off.

And guess what, ladies? I bet your purse is still in the car. So now the car-jacker has your car, your home address, your money, and your keys. Your home and your whole identity are compromised!
BEWARE OF THIS NEW SCHEME THAT IS NOW BEING USED.

If you see a piece of paper stuck to the back window, lock your doors and just drive away. Remove the paper later. And be thankful that you read this e-mail. I hope you will forward this to friends and family, especially to women. A purse contains all kinds of personal information and identification documents, and you certainly do NOT want this to fall into the wrong hands.

Please follow and tell others:
If you are driving at night and were attacked with eggs on your car's windshield,DO NOT operate your wiper or spray any water. Eggs mixed with water become milky and block your vision up to 92.5 %.You are forced to stop at road side and become victim of robbery. This is new technique used by robbers. Take care and Safe Driving. Please share with whom you care.
Old 16th July 2010, 19:12   #143
BHPian

I got a feeling that I read about this e mail already somewhere else.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post1810864

Of course, repetetion of such important information should be welcome.

Murthy

Edit: Post no.123 of this thread itself (in the previous page)

Last edited by gavinimurthy : 16th July 2010 at 19:14.
Old 16th July 2010, 19:24   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Not really a practical application, but I think that these side-mounted flamethrowers will deter any would-be carjacker . Why isn't this available in India?
Flame throwers are abundant on South Africa where there are more car jacking incidents. I saw this in some documentary.

Quote:
Hi,

I would like to know who the contractor is for these equipments. I would like to buy 2-3 pieces myself.
Old 5th August 2010, 20:22   #145
Senior - BHPian

wow,this thread is a sure eyeopener.For the car jacking problem,reminds me of a scene in from the movie "mad max" where a guy tries to car jack mel gibsons car,he had strapped an explosive under his car.He of course had a dog too.
Old 5th August 2010, 20:42   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Like prince said, would like to get one for myself. then i would park in a no parking and lock myself in. only to open it when driving out.
Problem is.. the make of the B cops immobilisers and yours should be the same or else you get double locked. with only one key.
Old 5th August 2010, 22:42   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
(keep the original immobilizer key away, maybe 50 meters).
my swift diesel is parked right next to the boundary wall and the distance (diagonally) is definitely within 50 mtrs though I stay on the second floor.

I'm sure most of us have their cars parked within 50 mtrs of the OEM key.

Does that mean that its open to getting jacked-off?
Old 13th August 2010, 21:24   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Does that mean that its open to getting jacked-off?
I really don't think immobilizer key works from that far! Otherwise, it would become a waste investments (how many people park their cars more than 50 m away from where they keep their keys in homes?).

To my mind, the required distance would not be more than 10 meters.
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:30   #149
BHPian

A well written thread.

Whats a distributor rotor? how to remove it?

Use of a cut off switch in a secret spot is a great idea.
Carrying the parking ticket with you. ( Got me thinking, how valuable this is and how i have never thought of it or did it)

Is it possible to fit immobilizer for any accessory shop ?

Use of a tyre lock is a great idea. but do you have the time use it every-time and heart to get dirty.

Autocops with sensors are good, but it turns out to be a nuisance most of the times ( having a tough time with my autocop, sensor at the lowest setting but still starts beeping for the smallest of the vibration, end up deactivating all the time, help on it ? )

Valuable points to be added:

Use good tinted glass and those front glass Shields when you get out of the car so a thief cannot see whats inside the car
Don't blast away music to show off your ICE at-least in your neighborhood
Locked garages are always best
Lock the house gate
Leave the garage light on through the night
Tip everyone around your car ( watchman, valet, ...)
Don't tempt anyone (by being careless) You are capable of making a crime -> perfect crime

Last edited by GTO : 4th September 2010 at 18:34. Reason: STRICTLY no SMS language please. One more infraction and you are banned. Corrected
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:44   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Don't laugh, but if the car has alloy wheels with large enough "spokes" (what else to call it?), how about passing a single, strong weld-less chain through all the wheels and securing it with a solid Nav-Tal or such lock? For good measure the chain can be passed around some stationary object rooted to the ground as well! It will be crude, but effective IMO! Can this be done?
That's exactly what I've seen being done in Vaishali and Indirapuram, which is in Ghaziabad and certainly has a bad rep for stolen cars. I guess this is the 'down-to-earth' approach we have to follow The residents of an apartment complex there build a cement porch with hooks embedded in them, so that they can lock their cars in at night...

Most Viewed