Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2012, 21:00   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Yes its possible. The product person would suggest you the model and how best to utilize it depending on the Car.

Going by Thief's logic, If a car does not have an ECU (Pajero Excused) it must be pretty old and may not command a value in the stolen market or parts bazaar. For Non ECU Vehicles, Gear Lock + Steering lock will more than sufficiently shoo away the thief as it acts as a visual deterent. Instead of sawing or welding through a gear & steering lock of a TBHPian he would rather try his hand on the car of a not so car savvy Non TBHPian.

If the install is done professionally by professionals (example Xenos), where they saw out the bolt head, and the only way to remove the gear lock is to raise the car on the ramp and drill a where the bolt is fastened. It is not possible to do this on a street car theft rampage.
That is really good to know. Thanks for that information.

I asked because while the older car logic may not apply to something that is 15 or 20 years old, it will definitely apply to older/classic vehicles and by putting this information up we are helping other TBHPians

So essentially in a carb fed vehicle the idea would be to cut off the fuel supply so that the vehicle stalls, correct.
Old 1st April 2012, 16:17   #182
BHPian

Hi,

Can a Gear lock be installed in an AT? We've booked a Vento AT and I'm thinking if it can be installed in it.

Thanks,
RS
ronline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 00:37   #183

Looking to buy a Club Steering Wheel Lock. There are listings on ebay, but they ask for over Rs. 5000, way too much for a product that retails in the US for $40-50. Anyone know where I can get one (in Delhi or online) more reasonably priced?
Old 27th June 2012, 14:50   #184
BHPian

It's better to have a high end GPS installed as once the Car is stolen, the key is to recover it fast before the thief actually dismantles it and sells it off as spare parts.

Gear lock's can be cut off easily with the right kind of tool. Anti theft alarm systems does in no way protect you if the thief cuts the glass of the car and then enters inside.
Old 27th June 2012, 16:39   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronline View Post
Hi,

Can a Gear lock be installed in an AT? We've booked a Vento AT and I'm thinking if it can be installed in it.

Thanks,
RS
Yes gear lock can be installed in an AT vehicle. You can lock the car in the "N" Position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walchan99 View Post
Looking to buy a Club Steering Wheel Lock. There are listings on ebay, but they ask for over Rs. 5000, way too much for a product that retails in the US for $40-50. Anyone know where I can get one (in Delhi or online) more reasonably priced?
If its an international seller, its worth paying 5000. You will get steering locks for as low as 500/- from your local accessory store, but quality is a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo car View Post
It's better to have a high end GPS installed as once the Car is stolen, the key is to recover it fast before the thief actually dismantles it and sells it off as spare parts.

Gear lock's can be cut off easily with the right kind of tool. Anti theft alarm systems does in no way protect you if the thief cuts the glass of the car and then enters inside.
The best way is to "proactively" lock the car everytime its parked, using the GPS System locks. This will make life difficult for the car thief. If locked using GPS, The car cannot be virtually moved.

Gear locks can be cut but its not possible to do on the street. You need to lift the car on a ramp, cut the bolt using a rotating cutting disc or heat cutting machine. In addition, you may have to use a Hight speed steel drill bit to drill a hole where the screw is there to remove it. I am looking at 2 hours at the very least to remove it completely. Motion sensors available on top model systems alarm when a thief enters the car.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 09:25   #186
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Read the thread end-to-end. Some amazing tips there!

Most of the new cars are coming with inbuilt security systems with intrusion detection. My XUV has it. A cousin booked a i20, which again has the system.

Was wondering if solutions like AutoCop still add value. If there is a motion-sensor, impact-sensor as part of the solution, possibly it does make a sense.

GPS tracking devices looks like the best bet. Have gone through the thread where a Bolero was recovered with Mahindra's own GPS tracking solution. Somehow, I have not seen my Mahindra dealer offering anything OEM on the GPS tracking side. Let me check with a Mumbai based dealer.

Let me also explore what AutoCop and Xenos have got to offer currently.

Thanks again for all the experience sharing. Its good to be paranoid than sorry.
Old 6th August 2012, 15:46   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Was wondering if solutions like AutoCop still add value. If there is a motion-sensor, impact-sensor as part of the solution, possibly it does make a sense.
Hi Sanjay - Yes Motion sensors do make sense to protect your car from theives who want to steal you belongings "Inside" the car and not the car itself. These theives look out for In-dash decks, Laptps, Tablets, Ladies hand bag and anything & everything they can find.

Satellite lock will help you make your vehicle immobile, but Impact & Motion sensor will prevent theives from stealing your belongings when the car is parked and you are not around
Old 1st September 2012, 01:28   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by walchan99 View Post
Yes the prices quoted are a bit high. Buy it from Junglee.com, which in turn is going to take you to Amazon.com in case it isn't available with any of the partner Indian websites.

I bought it using the Netsafe card from HDFC bank from Amazon.com and the standard shipping option to Bangalore usually was 8-10 days.

There a few sensors available too which you can check out here. Are these any better than the Autocop motion sensors? Is it compatible with Autocop or Xenox or will it go only with a Viper security system.
Old 29th October 2012, 16:40   #189
BHPian

A simple padlock from Link costing 200 bucks in the steering mounting below the dash will prevent the car from being steered. It is very difficult to cut due to its inaccessibility and in conjunction with any good immobilizer ( like CATS) or a good security system gives good security IMO. I have been using the same for the last 13 years.
superlux is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 17:56   #190
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlux View Post
A simple padlock from Link costing 200 bucks in the steering mounting below the dash will prevent the car from being steered. It is very difficult to cut due to its inaccessibility and in conjunction with any good immobilizer ( like CATS) or a good security system gives good security IMO. I have been using the same for the last 13 years.
Sounds interesting!
Where do you attach it? Can you share a picture please?
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 12:29   #191
BHPian

Election season again, all SUV owners around Mumbai, please be careful about your vehicles
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/18551031.cms

PS: Mods, posted the same message on other thread also, please feel free to delete on of them.
Old 1st March 2013, 18:54   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronline View Post
Hi,

Thanks,
RS
Not sure about the vento but you can refer this link http://www.tcat.com.my/construct2.html
Old 5th April 2013, 15:04   #193
BHPian

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but recd this news on high tech theft

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/...in-long-beach/
Old 1st July 2013, 12:50   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Folks,

I would like to know that among all the fuse(s) in the car, which fuse, if taken out from slot will refrain the car from starting (neither by self cranking, nor by pushing) ?

In my Zen, I see there is a 30A fuse. Is it for the starter motor? It will be great if someone can share that which fuse is for which system.

Thanks,
Saket
Old 24th January 2014, 02:56   #195
BANNED

A share by HTP (Hyderabad Traffic Police) on their FB page for giving out information to help locate stolen cars if such type of methods are used.

Found this method good enough with some tweaking at points to keep the car safe with the immobilizer and other electronic gadgets.

Quote:
A useful tip for car owners !!! (Share.....Share..... Share..)

How to Immediately Get Back Your Stolen Car !

It is a fantastic idea for those who can't afford car insurance or Tracker System. I'm forwarding this to all my friends.

How to Get Back Your Stolen Car?
It takes only 2 minutes for a car thief to runaway with your car. No matter you have a tracker and auto-alarming devices fitted in your car.

The best safety for your car is a live and active Mobile Phone hidden in a safe place in your car:

1. Buy any low price mobile phone with longer standby time.

2. Install a mobile connection which has best network in the country.

3. Turn this mobile on complete SILENT mode (double check it should not vibrate while you turn it on SILENT mode).

4. Wrap it up slightly in a plastic sheet so that it should not get dirty and dusty during its hidden use.

5. Make sure it is perfectly responding by calling its number from another mobile phone.

6. Hide this mobile in a safe place in your car. And that’s it…!!!

If your car is stolen, immediately inform your local Police Help Line. Give them phone number of the mobile hidden in your car. Police can easily track the location by calling that number. Chances are that you may get back your car within the shortest possible time.

And finally do not forget to charge this mobile at least twice a week and hide it back in your car in active position.

Please share this message with all your friends. Admin..SK
What say guys about this and how much true or realistic does this stand in today's situation?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks