Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2015, 09:29   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsna777 View Post
I had a swift zdi, and it was stolen in january this year in Moti Nagar Delhi. . ..

Please advise me what are my choices here.
Hey, sorry for your your loss, I know what it feels like - we had an Activa stolen. If you want a really easy system for a car tracker, keep a cheap android phone with internet and GPS enabled somewhere inside your car. With Google latitude, you can get real time location of that device. You'll need to keep it in a hidden location, with a power connection/battery pack to last a while.

Also, the basic premise of car security system is that your car is more difficult to steal than someone else's. So do check out some security systems , and maybe you might like some.

Also ask the dealer to give in writing that VW cars are impossible to steal.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 21:07   #227
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT

http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...car+anti+theft

Amazon has this simple lock type cluch lock device. A bit tedious to use but could be effective.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:25   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
. With Google latitude, you can get real time location of that device. .
Google latitude services are stopped. The best idea would be to fit a tracking device to your car like how all call center cab operators have. I think there are a lot of service providers for that.
girimajiananth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 17:36   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/275-4289219-9611463?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=onam+technologies+car+anti+theft

Amazon has this simple lock type cluch lock device. A bit tedious to use but could be effective.
Have you been using this device? If yes, could you please post some pictures?
Old 22nd February 2016, 19:16   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
Have you been using this device? If yes, could you please post some pictures?
No buddy i do not have the device installed in my car. I just happened to come across same on Amazon so decided to post it here.
Old 15th April 2016, 08:56   #231
Senior - BHPian

Theft prevention in the 21st century

I woke up to read a disturbing article in the papers today.

http://www.timesofindia.com/city/del...w/49741508.cms

I've got a Honda Civic and a Grande Punto, with only the former reinforced with a gear lock. At the time of buying it in 2007, I was told that it wasn't necessary but I got it installed for peace of mind. When I bought the Punto in 2009, I was convinced that the modern cars were secure enough to warrant any additional protection.

Three months back, when the ignition lock in my Civic failed and Honda quoted an enormous figure to replace the same, I relied on a local trusted Keymaker. The ease with which he accessed and repaired and replaced the same left me in awe and feeling vulnerable at the same time. I let that thought pass although I started employing the gear lock again, a practice I had left for the last three years.

Now after reading this article, the ease with which these criminals get through modern security systems and even traditional measures like gear locks is scary. One assumed that it would be the Marutis etc being easy targets but high end cars are also being stolen with relative ease.

In such a scenario, how do we protect our vehicles? What can be considered as fail safe measures?
Old 15th April 2016, 09:20   #232
BHPian

Re: Theft prevention in the 21st century

The answer to your question in one word 'NOTHING'. There is nothing that can be called as fully fail safe in order to prevent theft of your car in an age where a car like Mercedes S class can be knicked in a jiffy.

What can one do is however to make the life of a car thief a bit more difficult. The thief is there to steal a car in as little time as possible, hence the more number of theft deterrents in the car, the more likely that he'll quit the process. The gear lock which you have deployed is a step in the right direction, it may not be a failsafe thing but is surely a deterrent. One more that can be done to make his life a little more complicated is to remove a relevant fuse from the fuse box, which will render the car immobile. I do the same thing in my 800. As everyone knows that 800 is the easiest thing to steal, more deterrents are required for it. By removing the fuse, he is more likely to be confused. He is not likely to diagnose the car in the short window of time that he has. Not a failsafe way but surely a deterrent. So to sum up, nothing is failsafe in 21st century. Only thing that can be done is to deploy as many deterrents as possible and following other precautions also.

Last edited by GTO : 15th April 2016 at 15:05. Reason: Language
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 19th July 2016, 21:11   #233
BHPian

Here is an article from a former car thief that interested me and am posting it here. All suggestions made by the author to prevent/delay car theft seems good enough.

Mods: Please move/delete the thread if necessary.

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 19th July 2016 at 21:14.
Old 30th November 2016, 23:05   #234

I was going through this thread and so I thought I'll share something I found on the Internet here.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...itch-15699546/

These guys have some pretty good ideas when it comes to making you car almost theft proof.
Old 6th February 2017, 10:28   #235
BHPian

Car theft is a very frequent occuring in Delhi but today's TOI has this news where the thieves are only stealing the ECM of particularly one car, the WagonR.
They do this by force opening the bonnet and nicked the ECMs of a dozen WagonRs at a locality of Southwest Delhi.

LINK

Now my humble F10D Wagon R is also being used in Delhi and is parked on the roadside only. Worst thing the car is a LX model and doesn't even have a central locking.
Guys, what all security features should I install in my car to make it less prone to theft.
I can understand there is nothing like a complete fool proof anti theft devices and they only provide us some more time untill the thief decides to either "skip" this particular car or worse, if he says "Challenge Accepted".

Can a central locking system protect me in this particular case of ECM or battery thefts. If yes, kindly suggest some reliable aftermarket brand.

Also, is ECM theft covered in Insurance? I have a comprehensive insurance policy. Understandably, not a zero dep.

Thanks in Advance guys.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 6th February 2017 at 10:30.
Old 16th April 2017, 19:07   #236
BANNED

Guys could you please suggest some good anti car theft systems? There are some thefts taken place in my area and am a little worried.
Old 17th May 2017, 09:02   #237
BHPian

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post my experience, but since this is the only thread that has details about car theft, I'm writing it here.

I bought a Hyundai Xcent CNG (registered as a Taxi) in Ahmedabad this year. The intention was to explore how lucrative the possibility of driving for Uber is, after hiring a driver. We got a driver (he was an acquaintance of my dad- he used to take him to office 6 years ago) and gave him the car keys in April. There was a short strike by Uber drivers in the city, and during that phase, he took on some other transport assignments with a company. I stay outside the country and could talk to the driver only once in the evening. He refused to drive for Uber, suggesting that the strike was still ongoing and he could be hurt if they decided to attack the car. Since he was driving for the company, I relented and allowed him to carry on (I started looking for another driver in the meanwhile).

He took around Rs. 20,000 from my dad (even before he completed the first month) saying that his parents needed help in the hospital. We believed him and agreed to loan him the money. His salary was fixed at Rs. 15,000 for 10 hours of work plus a certain fraction of the bonus if he did well. This was on the higher side for Ahmedabad. Even bus drivers here earn around Rs. 10,000 per month, but since he was an acquaintance, we decided to pay him more.

He was supposed to get paid by the company on 12th May (last friday). Since Saturday morning, his phone is switched off and he has disconnected all forms of communication. Luckily, there was a GPS tracker in the car and dad visited the location indicated by the tracker to find the car parked by the side of the road. He was shocked to see this, but I was relieved- I knew that he had run away after taking the money from the company and he had the car keys with him (even the papers in fact, since he said he wanted to be "safe in case the traffic police stopped him").
There it goes. We lost close to Rs. 60,000 in 1 month (he drove 2,000 kilometers for the company) and we were on the verge of losing the car. Even now, the car is parked there because my dad doesn't know what to do about it. Should we report it to the police? Will that be helpful at all? Should we just request the dealership to get us a new key and drive the car away? I am not sure. I'm shocked at how easily people can betray you, especially after you trust them and take care of them. We bought the XCent because he liked it more than the Zest or Dzire. We took him shopping while getting the car. And then this happens. The scene seems straight out of a movie.

I apologize for saying this so bluntly, but I have really started believing that you have to have an iron grip over the blue collared workers in India. There's no scope for compassion at all. Someone had advised us to keep his identity cards at our house so that he'd have to get them before leaving his employment, but we thought it would intrude upon his privacy. If you're employing someone as a Driver, please visit his house, his ancestral house to verify that he's not lying about his address (in this case, the address on the driving license seems real but he left the house on Saturday as well- no one knew his whereabouts.). Also call and verify the contact number of someone in their family- wife, parents etc. Do not give any money to them without their having earned it- even if they say it is for a funeral. I'd even recommend re-checking the police verification details- just to ensure that they did not lie about that as well. Finally, keep them at a distance and keep make sure that they are slightly scared of you. Always remember that their trust can be bought by someone else for a very low price, and avoid investing any emotional value into the employer-employee relationship. What I've written sounds harsh, but that's the truth about the unorganized sector in India. These people trade trust and ethics so easily in life.

After this incident, I've decided that we will keep the car for personal use after re-registering it as a private vehicle- if he does not run away with the car within the next few days - before we can get a duplicate key from Hyundai.

If there are any legal suggestions from experts on TeamBhp about a possible recourse, I'll be very grateful. It is not the money that I am worried about. I do not want anyone else to face a similar situation, especially since this person might go on to drive for someone else later.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 17th May 2017 at 09:06.
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:37   #238
BHPian

Saw the following on Facebook today , guys in nioda and around be careful. This seems to be a new trick.
@ MODS: did a search and did not find this anywhere, please remove if this is a duplicate.

Important message from my friend. Forwarding to all my friends 👇🏻

Hi guys
Want to share what happened yesterday with me while i was travelling to Noida Nsez.
This happened at around 1:00 pm today (27/04/2017) when i was travelling in my car with a colleague of my mine and a middle aged guy crossing the road pointed that oil is leaking from my car. I ignored him thinking it might just be an innocent guy confusing the water coming out due to ac for oil but with in a few moments my eyes began to etch and again a couple of guys on a bike pointed the same again.
It didnt seem right to me as to how a guy on a bike going in the same direction as me see whats coming from the front of my car and also none of the cars indicators pointed otherwise.
So i gather my wits and see that I'm being followed by a couple of bikes and one in front , who pointed out the leakage, wasn't moving too quickly either , he was trying to keep it just ahead of me. They had their faces covered with a cloth (2 guys on each bike)except the guy who was riding the bike in front
By this time my eyes were starting to hurt very badly and the cabin had started suffocating. I switched the ac and the fan off but didn't open the window , fearing the worst, and started driving a little quicker and didn't stop till i found a fuel station(that was about a km) I quickly took a u turn and got inside the station and then open the windows. We waited a few minutes and then came out and saw that someone put some oil mixed chemical on the front grill which smelled horrible. My eyes and my nose were burning as hell.
I talked to the people at fuel station and they told me that something same happened a couple a days earlier but at a late hour and they took that guys car and when he retaliated tried to harm him as well.
This is their modus operandi. Guy crossing the road will spray the chemical on the grill and point u out. You will come out to see and he and his members will pick up your vehicle. Or u might wait but the effect of the chemical will make u come out and now being suffocated and blinded by the chemical you will be an even easier target for these people.
We stayed there for about 40 mins cleaned ourselves and the station people helped me to clean the front of my car aswell.
Im sharing this with you guys so you can be aware that they are now trying not just to pick things from your vehicle (like the thak thak incidents) they are going further and robbing you of your vehicle and are not afraid to harm you either. Just want you guys to be safe.
Thanks to the almighty and the best wishes of my friends and family came out unharmed but a bad day or decision, things could have been a lot different.

In the end just want to say share this with family and friends so we all can make better call if and when needed.

I also saw some a few replies to this post from people who had the same experience. A sane mind and belief in the car gauges is what is necessary.
iceman07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 04:23   #239
BHPian

Saw this posted on FB on HVK forum. This is not exactly a car theft but it is quite shocking. It happened in Bengaluru.

The victim had parked his Toyota Innova in Palace grounds​ car parking and came back to find that his entire center console with music system, ACC, MID and airbags were stolen and it was also a job done by a professional. They gained access by breaking the rear left door's quarter glass. The car park security were unhelpful and he has filed a complaint with the cops.

SOURCE

ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT-img_20170531_041924.jpg

ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT-fb_img_1496183742251.jpg

ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT-fb_img_1496183729272.jpg

ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT-fb_img_1496183726233.jpg

ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT-fb_img_1496183734293.jpg

MODS since this is currently the active thread on Car theft though it would be appropriate here. If not kindly move it to the right thread.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 04:44   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post my experience, but since this is the only thread that has details about car theft, I'm writing it here.

I bought a Hyundai Xcent CNG (registered as a Taxi) in Ahmedabad this year. The intention was to explore how lucrative the possibility of driving for Uber is, after hiring a driver. We got a driver (he was an acquaintance of my dad- he used to take him to office 6 years ago) and gave him the car keys in April. There was a short strike by Uber drivers in the city, and during that phase, he took on some other transport assignments with a company. I stay outside the country and could talk to the driver only once in the evening. He refused to drive for Uber, suggesting that the strike was still ongoing and he could be hurt if they decided to attack the car. Since he was driving for the company, I relented and allowed him to carry on (I started looking for another driver in the meanwhile).

After this incident, I've decided that we will keep the car for personal use after re-registering it as a private vehicle- if he does not run away with the car within the next few days - before we can get a duplicate key from Hyundai.

Get the car towed to your home or service center. Even with the steering locked, you can tow it by lifting the front end. If that is not possible then get a mechanic to break the ignition lock barrel or remove the tie-rods to manually steer the vehicle by the wheels.

Where is the 2nd(spare) key that you got with the car?

Do whatever you can to get back the car, as soon as possible. Also make sure that you check with the police that there is no pending case/traffic violation associated with the car when it was being driven by your driver.
Any crime committed by your driver can become your problem otherwise. If you don't want to take this risk- lodge an FIR and inform the police that you have located the car using the GPS.

Keep us updated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks