Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2017, 12:00   #241
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT

10 Tips To Prevent Car Theft
Snapshot: Car theft is a reality that we more often get to hear about from our relatives and friends. It's a harsh reality of which we can be victims too. Here are few tips that would help you secure your car!
Read more at https://autoportal.com/articles/10-t...heft-6770.html
Old 9th July 2017, 13:59   #242
BHPian

These are some safety features which got online to prevent a car jack, and found it quite useful. These apply mainly to the hi-tech vehicles.

Don’t plug random USBs into your dashboard. Data-enabled USB ports – used to update system software – offer direct access to your car’s neurosystem.

Buy an OBD lock. The on-board diagnostic system is your car’s built-in link to the outside world, the portal through which all repairs, mechanical or otherwise, are diagnosed. All cars have a port that allows technicians to access all the relevant computers controlling your car. Therefore, it is also the easiest way to get inside your car’s brains. This subterfuge requires access to your car, but once in the potential for damage is pretty much limitless. So lock it up. Besides, your OBD port is also used to access your car’s Electronic Data Recorder, a chip that records exactly how – as in how fast – you drive. So the OBD lock also promises privacy, something you might find important if you get in a collision and someone tries to access your car’s accident data without your permission.

Use a good old-fashioned steering wheel lock.

Don’t use your remote keyless system to lock your doors. it turns out the simplest hack in the automotive world is still just breaking into your car to steal all your goodies. And the simplest way to “open sesame” is scanning your push-button locking system. There’s all manner of ways to do it, but the one thing in common is that they all require you to lock your vehicle remotely and then walk away from the vehicle. The simplest solution, therefore, is to forego the key fob and use the central door lock button to close up shop. No transmission; no hacking. Of course, it doesn’t matter if you use a keyless system to enter your car; you’ll be driving away from the threat.

This one is going to seem odd – completely over the top, in fact – but you might want to start putting your keyless fob in the refrigerator at night. Or in a box with some tin foil lining. Not as common as the simple “transmission” hack noted above, this exploit – that’s cybertalk for getting up to no good – involves a slightly more complicated “amplifier” that fools your car into thinking the fob is close by, therefore allowing access to your car. More importantly, if your car has push-button start, it also fools the security system into thinking the immobilizer is nearby. Not only can thieves now rifle all your belongings, they can also steal your car.

thanks
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 20:15   #243
BHPian

Dear bhpians;

Today I found my 2011 City's boot lock somewhat tampered with. The key hole is pushed in by 2cm from its original position. The key is not going into the groove for some reason, so I am unable to open the boot with the key, however, it is openable from the internal boot release button.

I don't think it was an act of vandalism, as there is no other mark or anything on the car. The keyhole on the driver's door is working normally. There is no keyhole on the passenger door.

Was this an attempt of theft?
I have heard of the bootlock being tampered with, to make a key mould in cars like bolero, old Pajero, old Scorpio, etc...

TIA
Old 28th November 2017, 05:24   #244
Senior - BHPian

These guys just keep getting smarter at what they do. This video from the BBC shows a new way to steal a car using two radio transmitter relay devices. One device is held right next to the house and the other right beside the car. It seems to be relaying key code information which allows the thieves to unlock and drive away. The car looks like a AMG C Class.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-421328...ught-on-camera
Old 7th December 2017, 18:40   #245
BHPian

Got a simple mechanical clutch lock for my Brezza. Product is available on Amazon, although I got it through a direct contact of the manufacturer.

It works by preventing the clutch pedal from getting pressed. Many modern engines don't even start without depressing the clutch pedal.

I feel a mechanical device is better to prevent thefts, as thieves with immobilizer neutralizing skills are likely not equipped to defeat such low-tech devices. At the very minimum it will increase the effort and time required to steal the car, which increases the possibility of getting caught in the act.

You simply lock the clutch pedal by inserting the lock from above
ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT-img_20171207_180201858.jpg

View the lock from below
ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT-img_20171207_180233794.jpg

Simple and strong lock, can be used across multiple vehicles as needed
ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT-img_20171207_180526260.jpg
shajoshi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 10:26   #246
BHPian

I have a question - Is it possible that a car having immobilizer installed could still be started by someone not having the keys and the car driven away?

I parked my Alto K10 Vxi at a metro station. And when I was back it was gone. Could it be started without the keys?
Old 24th May 2018, 18:52   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-riedAway View Post
I have a question - Is it possible that a car having immobilizer installed could still be started by someone not having the keys and the car driven away?

I parked my Alto K10 Vxi at a metro station. And when I was back it was gone. Could it be started without the keys?
Well the thieves today are modern enough and have access to tools to make the keys even for a car having immobilizer, 4 - 5 years back the technology was new and it helped save our car but as an extra protection always opt for a good quality gear lock as they can only be hacksawed and the thieve won't be interested in going that extra mile. In all our cars before any accessories gets installed , we get a gear lock installed. But the biggest question what happened to your car, did you file an FIR then?
revvharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 19:55   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
But the biggest question what happened to your car, did you file an FIR then?
I had parked it at a so-called authorized (free) parking place and it got stolen from there. I have lodged an e-FIR, awaiting copy thereof and an IO to be appointed. The police is hopeful of providing a no-trace report (and not the car) in 45 days. At least there is something they are sure of!

I had to intimate the insurance company within 24 hours of theft, that I have done. The insurance company procedure is long one too and they say not might take 4-5 months for claim settlement. The car was under bank loan and have intimated the bank as well. They want the EMI coming and have shown no concern. It's a sorry state of affairs with no coordination between various agencies involved. One just has to wait and watch.

Thanks for your concern. Really appreciate it!
Car-riedAway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 01:03   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sorry to know that the car has been stolen.

One way to steal the car having the immobilizer installed is to tow it away, lifting from the front.

There must be a CCTV at the Metro station parking lot. Ask for the footage, that can show how the car was taken.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 02:37   #250
BHPian

Quote:

Either it was towed away. Towed away from a metro parking? I think people would notice. What about the parking guys? Do they assume no responsibility?

-or-

Engine Immobiliser system is a part of the engine control unit (ECU). When enabled, it cuts off the spark. The car will crank but the engine won't fire up. The system works by verifying the unique code stored on the key chip through a short-range RF-transponder in the steering column and disables the Immobiliser function when the correct key is inserted. If an incorrect key is inserted, the car fails to start. Of course, the code can be cracked given enough time, but it would probably take a couple thousand years to arrive at the correct combination, dependent on OEM implementation of the encryption. What thieves really do is force themselves into the cabin by manually unlocking the car through master-keys and/or breaking & entering. They pop the hood up and remove the wiring to the battery. This disables the anti-theft alarm. Then they proceed to replace the ECU with a flashed/modified one which has no immobiliser function. This process is expensive due to costs involved in procuring the flashed ECU in the first place and takes time. The car may then run erratically due to imperfect fuel map on the flashed ECU, but it gets the job done. The car is driven to a hideout and thoroughly salvaged for parts.

My best guess is the people at the metro station are involved and the cops might be too. It isn't possible that the thieves are just hanging around the car with loose wiring and slicing through the cabin and no one notices. I've had numerous things stolen at the metro station parking. There was no response to my FIRs. Such are the people in our country, brother. I hope you find your car or the insurance pays you handsomely.
typlo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 08:42   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Sorry to know that the car has been stolen.
It is a DDA authorized parking but is a free one. I will check with the Police as regards the CCTV footage or check if someone towed away any car. The problem is that the parking has three entry ways and it s quite possible that anyone towing away the car could have taken it from the entry at rear which has lesser crowd movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typlo View Post
Either it was towed away. Towed away from a metro parking? I think people would notice. What about the parking guys? Do they assume no responsibility?
The parking was unmanned even though there is a message board stating that this is a "DDA Authorized parking". It is free parking as of now. There is a police post within 100 meters of where I parked my car and it got stolen, so is the state of affairs.

As regards the Maruti immobilizer, a friend who works with a high-end car company told me that the Maruti immobilizers are very primitive ones and easy crack. Thieves generally carry master keys and can easily crack such codes in the immobilizer. High-end cars provide higher security and are difficult to crack without any access to the actual keys.

So to the people out there, you never know what type of security level your car has and so it is always better to install additional security measures like the gear lock, handle locks etc.

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2018 at 11:04. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 4th January 2019, 18:34   #252
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza stolen!

A Vitara Brezza has been stolen from Delhi. It was equipped with keyless entry and start. Given below is the facebook link for the same Video!

Quoting what the owner said in his Facebook post
Quote:
Hello friends .
Our car Brezza got stolen yesterday .
Registration number DL 12CQ 1198
It was a zdi+ keyless entry model we bought approx 45 days back
As you can see in video within 22 seconds they started a keyless car.
Shame on #marutisuzukiindia #marutisuzukibrezza Maruti Suzuki Arena for making such a car which has that much poor safety features. #dontbuyBrezza

Link

Mods, didn't know where to post it. Please edit/delete if necessary
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT-screenshot_20190104183253_facebook.jpg  

Neeraj1903 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 18:44   #253
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza stolen!

I have seen similar video in FB where a brand new Mercedes C Class is being stolen which was again a key-less entry car. As far as I know this theft works as below

1. With a use of a transponder, they will attract signals from the key which is placed inside the house, possibly at a place where the signals can be received - for example near a window.

2. With some enhancer tool, they make the car's computer believe that the key is inside /within proximity and it unlocks the door.

Last edited by Superleggera : 4th January 2019 at 19:09.
Old 4th January 2019, 18:58   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
I have seen similar video in FB where a brand new Mercedes C Class is being stolen which was again a key-less entry car. As far as I know this theft works as below
It seems you are talking about this incident.

Thread. (Thieves steal Mercedes in under a minute using Relay Box)

Here is a detailed thread on the same topic.

Thread. (Got Keyless entry & go? Your car could be easy to steal)
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 09:37   #255
BHPian

There seems to be more to this incident than meets the eye, especially in the clip. This theft is definitely not a 22 second heist.

Note that no one opens the driver's door and gets in the car. He's already well seated with the window wound down. Secondly, the hood was already popped open from inside before the start of the clip. It can be easily spotted looking at the panel gap between the front fender and the bonnet at the start of the video and after the person closes it.

Given these things, i fail to understand why the affected person has edited out the video when the thief approaches the car and manages to enter
niteshbids is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed