Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2010, 14:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay123 View Post
Guys we can also use tire locks like this but I doubt if these are available in India.
These are available in India all right but are mostly used by the cops.
Old 14th January 2010, 14:50   #47
Senior - BHPian

^^Are these tyre locks available for general public and if yes, where ? Ebay ?
Old 14th January 2010, 19:23   #48
lsp
BHPian

Great thread Dippy.

It would be interesting to know of some ingineous ways which are emoployed by people touring places eg taking away the fuse. I think the vehicles are very susceptible to theft then.
Old 14th January 2010, 21:21   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Setup would take time or research in the market. Get an 800 buck cheapo (or even a second hand one for that matter )and keep it in the car. Charge it periodically (will take less than an 20-30 minutes per week.)
Ahh! If only the cops would be fast enough to initiate investigations on the Mobile service provider side. If the theives detect the phone first then they get the phone free.
Now the real trouble is to hide the cell somewhere inside the car so that the thieves cannot find it easily. This would give us sometime to work with the cops to initiate the investigations.
Old 14th January 2010, 22:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
Due to cheaper phones, May be a hidden device (GSM Phone) (powered from car battery and in-silent mode), which can be tracked, can be used.
May I invoke all the hardware engineers to come up to such installations, I am sure it will help everyone and everyone has a spare phone also.
This can be easily done with software.

A software can run on cell that sends "Base Station ID" to a fixed number every 30 mins via GPRS or SMS.

Basically this will tell the owner which tower cell was talking to. based on this, approx location can be identified.

EDIT : Even a cell phone is not required. There are GCM boards that are available for 1000 Rs that do not look like cell phones. Those are sturdy and are designed to be used in automobiles. A regular cell phone will go bust if left in a car that is parked in sun.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 14th January 2010 at 22:59.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2010, 23:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
also a gps tracker also is a very efficient device to find out the position of your stolen vehicle.
Thats a brilliant idea for sure. Also, I believe there is an engine immobiliser which can be activated remotely to stop the thief while fleeing with the car. I remember seeing this for the first time about a decade ago in one of the auto expos.

However, this has gained more popularity with the cab/fleet agencies to track their vehicles that individual car owners. Members in the forum having this tracker with remotely activated immobiliser installed in their cars can throw more light on this.
Old 15th January 2010, 12:32   #52
BHPian

hola!

besides routing vehicles to nepal via the porous bihar border for illegal sale and dismantling for usable parts, they are also used by tourist operators (especially those who are not recognised by the tourism board)

coming to remote security, i have heard of a company called Micro which install these in India. any unauthorised entry can be detected and the owner is sent a message (apparently whereever he/she is around the globe). on the receipt of such a message the owner can immobilize the vehicle remotely. you also have the option of fitting a tiny camera inside the vehicle.
Old 15th January 2010, 12:39   #53
BHPian

How about a removable "steering wheel" like Mr. Bean has in his car ?
Old 15th January 2010, 12:48   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon009 View Post
How does the Immobilizer system (iCATS not sure ) in new Maruti cars work? Are they really fool proof
Link to thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
May I invoke all the hardware engineers to come up to such installations, I am sure it will help everyone and everyone has a spare phone also.
Link to thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay123 View Post
Guys we can also use tire locks like this but I doubt if these are available in India.
One surely can. Keep in mind that if a thief gains access to your car, he can also replace the locked wheel with a spare. Of course, the key is to make things as difficult as possible.
Old 15th January 2010, 14:09   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Lessening the appeal of your car:
  • Buy a market dud : Cars like the Fiat Palio, Ford Mondeo and Mitsubishi Cedia found few takers in the new car bazaar. Good news is, thanks to their dismal market performance, even fewer thieves are interested in these cars.
Great thread Dippy.

And the best advice is above. I will tell you how; I have Palio Stile 1.1, which is the least sold model. One night I parked it on street outside my house and forgot to put gear lock and door look too (happened second time with me, so careless). There are couples of other cars too right next to each other. In morning I heard the commotion outside and found one Santro eRLX was stolen which was parked right next to mine. My stereo and laptop was lying in car clearly visible, and door was not even locked. But from the situation I came to conclusion that those thieves haven’t even bothered to look at Stile, leave alone trying to open or steal anything from it.

So the dud model saved me Vitamin M and trouble. I was earlier planning to replace it this year, but now going to spend few more years with her without worries.
Old 15th January 2010, 15:02   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
Your thread deserves it,
You bombay guys are lucky to get it done free by the cops, but in bangalore we have dont have an alternative even if we are willing to pay for it,

come on bangalore bhpians, any solutions for this query
I dont believe it is free.
We have to pay for the same as this is mandatory in Mumbai. The cost is approx Rs 250 - 300 for etching on all the 6 glasses.
Old 15th January 2010, 17:01   #57
Senior - BHPian

I think only cars parked inside the premises with the gates locked at night will ever be safe. If roadside parking for the night is unavoidable, ensure it is parked under a bright street light. If there is none located nearby, try and install a lamp on your own fence/compound wall at your own expense and park the car underneath. If it is an apartment block and there are a few more car owners, this can be organized more easily and expenses shared.
Old 15th January 2010, 20:37   #58
BHPian

I am not sure how microchipping in puppies work. I am yet to inject the microchip in my puppy but I was told that microchip helps in identifyiing your pup if it is lost. It seems the micro chip has some transponer within which can be read by some reciever.

My point is, if a small pup can be made secure by using a microchip, why can't we use the same microchip in our car ? Inject the microchip in one of the seats or some other part and then can't we track the car ?

Well, I am not sure how the microchip can be read in case the puppy is lost, but if it is possible, then I think we should be able to do the same in our cars ? Am I stupid ?
Old 15th January 2010, 21:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

This microchip needs to be read from a few centimeters.

It can not be used to track the pet. Once a pet is found and sent to pound, there they run the scan to get "ID" from implanted chip (if any). That ID helps in locating owner.

There are other gadgets that have GPS + Cell in a pet's collar. It is similar to car's tracking system. It needs to be recharged periodically.
Old 15th January 2010, 21:31   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
also a gps tracker also is a very efficient device to find out the position of your stolen vehicle.
Great Idea. I am planning to fix a warning sticker first thing on my scorpio ("GPS Tracker ON"). Of course, I'll actually buy it a little later.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks