Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2010, 21:27   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
Somebody had told me eraly on in life that " Always give a second thought to events , and always have "Situational Awareness" - be aware of your surroundings and what you are doing or what is happening around you.

Still follow it. It is always to drive away from your parking lot and go a KM away and then look at the paper on your rear screen or that annoying sound all of a sudden in the bonnet.
makes me remember that 'spark under your bonnet' scam.
Old 24th January 2010, 17:30   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

+1 to that. What on earth is an "israeli" gear lock? Please post some pictures.
Israeli Gear Lock is the original 'U' type gear lock system manufactured by an Israeli Co. called Mul-T Lock and distributed by a Co. called Guarantee Enterprises based in Ludhiana. I got this gear lock installed in my Indica in Aug 2000 for Rs.4500/-. Recently I went to the same showroom in Lajpat Nagar Delhi to fix the same gear lock in a friends new Manza, and we were told that these locks aren't available anymore, so we settled for a Autocop version for Rs.1050/- incl fitting. I wonder how effective Autocop is going to be since it costs a fraction now.
Can an immobiliser be fitted in a Manza which comes with a central locking as it is? Any idea about the cost?
Old 24th January 2010, 22:57   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
  • Photo copies only : Do not leave your driving license and original registration papers in the car. These documents can be doctored, and it is possible that the thief will impersonate you when selling the car. Keep only photocopies of registration & insurance documents in the car and carry your driving license with you at all times.
Pardon my ignorance, but I thought one needs to keep original documents in your car. Is it permitted by law and across the country?

I never got myself challan'ed, but heard that they sometimes take the car papers also. How would taht happen then in case of photo copied docs?
Old 25th January 2010, 10:30   #94
J.Ravi

Cops and RTO guys insist on original documents. So, I carry my Fiat Linea's original RC and my driving licence [both are chip-embedded smart cards] in my wallet. The rest of the original documents like insurance policy, PUC, are kept in the vehicle.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 25th January 2010 at 10:33.

Old 25th January 2010, 19:11   #95
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but I thought one needs to keep original documents in your car. Is it permitted by law and across the country?
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Cops and RTO guys insist on original documents. So, I carry my Fiat Linea's original RC and my driving licence [both are chip-embedded smart cards] in my wallet. The rest of the original documents like insurance policy, PUC, are kept in the vehicle.
Cops have always been okay with a xerox copy of documents. They only insist on the original driving licence. Atleast, that's my experience in Maharashtra.
Old 25th January 2010, 19:21   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Now with the smart cards, I don't know how it works. I have never carried original RC in the vehicle, even once since 80s. Xerox was always accepted by cops. Only DL I carry in original.

All my vehicles have RC book or just RC sheet. I don't intend to destroy or lose them by carried it everyday in the vehicle.
Old 25th January 2010, 20:10   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Now with the smart cards, I don't know how it works. I have never carried original RC in the vehicle, even once since 80s. Xerox was always accepted by cops. Only DL I carry in original.

All my vehicles have RC book or just RC sheet. I don't intend to destroy or lose them by carried it everyday in the vehicle.
Quote:
Cops have always been okay with a xerox copy of documents. They only insist on the original driving licence. Atleast, that's my experience in Maharashtra.
So far I had been keeping attested copies of the RC and Insurance in the car. That way cops don't crib. However, I have no idea how I would get an attested copy of the smart card.
Old 25th January 2010, 23:38   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
So far I had been keeping attested copies of the RC and Insurance in the car. That way cops don't crib. However, I have no idea how I would get an attested copy of the smart card.

According to my knowledge only photocopy of insurance, Valid PUC and driving license are the mandatory things which we need to carry. No RC book or attested copy of smart card is required in Maharashtra. Even if you do not carry PUC or Photocopy of insurance, you can surrender a license get a deposit receipt of Rs. 100 and collect it back after showing required valid documents within given period of time.
Old 26th January 2010, 06:04   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While traveling across different states or longer distances, it is better to take originals with you as you cannot come back and get them in case they are needed. A friend once had issues with Tamil Nadu Police at Kerala-TN border near Mudumalai Forest Check Post (Nilambur-Mysore Road). He had copies, but the cops were insisting on originals. He ended up paying bribe.

I remember reading HVK Sir advising to carry originals of RC, DL, Insurance, PUC.
Old 26th January 2010, 06:40   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
While traveling across different states or longer distances, it is better to take originals with you as you cannot come back and get them in case they are needed. A friend once had issues with Tamil Nadu Police at Kerala-TN border near Mudumalai Forest Check Post (Nilambur-Mysore Road). He had copies, but the cops were insisting on originals. He ended up paying bribe.

I remember reading HVK Sir advising to carry originals of RC, DL, Insurance, PUC.
But, do not leave the original documents in the car while it is parked overnight. Always take the originals and keep with you. Vehicles with registration numbers belonging to other states tend to attract thieves. And of course, follow Dippy's suggestions while parking (2nd post of this thread).
sbraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2010, 07:20   #101
Senior - BHPian

In MH, like GTO said if you carry an original copy of a driver's license and everything else is in a duplicate form then its managable. Unless you are stuck into some deep problem, then they'll ask you get the originals.
Most importantly if the cop is money launderer and if you show him the originals, there are good chances of him keeping them and demanding what hell he wants and one will have to cave as the originals are with him. So at the most keep the originals somewhere safe but do not hand it over to the cops. If there is some problem with the duplicates then the originals are worth a show. But definately no originals upfront.
And ohh yes, if you can speak the local language then you can get away with routine checks 9/10 times.

Last edited by Eddy : 27th January 2010 at 21:41. Reason: Please do not use foul language, even indirectly. Thanks.
Old 26th January 2010, 17:22   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Most importantly if the cop is money launderer and if you show him the originals, there are good chances of him keeping them and demanding what hell he wants and one will have to cave as the originals are with him. So at the most keep the originals somewhere safe but do not hand it over to the cops. If there is some problem with the duplicates then the originals are worth a show. But definately no originals upfront.
And ohh yes, if you can speak the local language then you can get away with routine checks 9/10 times.

Exactly what corrupt sergeants do in Kolkata.

Last edited by Eddy : 27th January 2010 at 21:41.
Old 27th January 2010, 12:10   #103
Senior - BHPian

Car-jacking

Received this mail sometime back. Never heard of this technique before, and it sure sounds scary!!

Mail:
If you are driving at night and were attacked with eggs on your car's windshield, do not operate your wiper or spray any water. Eggs mixed with water become milky and block your vision up to 92.5 %.
You are forced to stop at road side and become victim of robbery.
This is new technique used by robbers.

Take care and Safe Driving
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2010, 17:52   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Received this mail sometime back. Never heard of this technique before, and it sure sounds scary!!

Mail:
If you are driving at night and were attacked with eggs on your car's windshield, do not operate your wiper or spray any water. Eggs mixed with water become milky and block your vision up to 92.5 %.

This was in news in Delhi sometime back.

Came to know another new "Technique" of car jacking when I was at my Doctor's place in Delhi. This happened at Dwarka.
A group of folks on a road side at around night were trying to push start a Omni Van. A labourer(the guy didn't earn more than 5-6K) was was passing by. The driver and a guy asked him for help so that they can start the car. Once started, they offer him the lift as apparently they were also going in the same direction. They then move the cab to secluded place and rob that poor guy off. His throat grabbed and as he was about to become unconcious, he heard someone saying "Chodh de yaar warna mar jayega" (Leave him else he will die).

Lesson: - "Neki Kar Joote Kha"

This is so so so disgusting man.
Old 28th January 2010, 15:24   #105
BHPian

Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

Mail:

Urban Legend. See snopes.com: Eggs Thrown at Cars

Most Viewed