Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 23:22   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT

I found this article in a leading AutoMag. Check this product (CLICK HERE)

I am also attaching a basic PDF from the same site, to demonstrate, how etching could be a DIY Job.

VIN Etching - Basic Instructions.pdf.pdf

P.S: I am not associated with that company in anyway. I am regular reader of leading auto magazines. There was an advertisement for the same, which i am sharing with fellow TBHPians.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 15th November 2011 at 23:26.
Old 16th November 2011, 00:36   #167
BHPian

Scopriobharath
Hi
Great link.Is it available in India?
Regards
Old 16th November 2011, 15:04   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Scopriobharath
Hi
Great link.Is it available in India?
Regards
It is very much available in India and very much in Bombay (Kurla)

Am quoting the address for easy reference.

OMKAR ENTERPRISES
3/13, L. I. G. Colony,
Vinoba Bhave Nagar,
Kurla (West),
Mumbai - 400070.
Maharashtra, INDIA.

Tel No.: +91-22-32577168, +91 98929 92287, +91 90227 33232
Email: enquiry@auto-glaze.in
Old 16th March 2012, 14:13   #169
BHPian

I can vouch for the buy a market dud tip. I accidentally left my car open for a couple of nights and no one touched it. No one wants a bright red Opel Swing!
Viraat13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 16:50   #170
Senior - BHPian

From what I can see here in this thread, auto theft cannot be stopped. What we need to do is put as many deterrents in the way as possible so that the thief just looks for an easier target.

I used to use a gear and steering lock in Africa but living in Coorg has spoilt me. I intend to get as many security devices as possible for my car.

Bangalore members please advise, which is the best place to get things like gear and steering locks, glass etching etc. from. Would it be JC road.
Old 16th March 2012, 21:55   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
From what I can see here in this thread, auto theft cannot be stopped. What we need to do is put as many deterrents in the way as possible so that the thief just looks for an easier target.

I used to use a gear and steering lock in Africa but living in Coorg has spoilt me. I intend to get as many security devices as possible for my car.

Bangalore members please advise, which is the best place to get things like gear and steering locks, glass etching etc. from. Would it be JC road.
I would really suggest you to buy branded stuff from an authorized dealer. Non-branded ones are not much rigid.

please use this link to check authorized dealers in Bangalore for Xenos Gear locks(LINK). It costs you around 1600/-
Etching kits are available. It is available in Mumbai, but the courier the same to you. Instructions are available on thier site on how to etch the glass.

For Maximum peace of mind, invest in a GSM Security system costing from around 6,000/-. You can lock the car by SMS.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 16th March 2012 at 21:57.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 22:31   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I would really suggest you to buy branded stuff from an authorized dealer. Non-branded ones are not much rigid.

please use this link to check authorized dealers in Bangalore for Xenos Gear locks(LINK). It costs you around 1600/-
Etching kits are available. It is available in Mumbai, but the courier the same to you. Instructions are available on thier site on how to etch the glass.

For Maximum peace of mind, invest in a GSM Security system costing from around 6,000/-. You can lock the car by SMS.
Thanks for that link and that information. Will check it out and ensure I get original equipment.

Does the GSM system you are referring to work in conjunction with a central locking system or independent of it. Does it need to be charged periodically or is power to run it taken from the car battery itself.
Old 16th March 2012, 23:23   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that link and that information. Will check it out and ensure I get original equipment.

Does the GSM system you are referring to work in conjunction with a central locking system or independent of it. Does it need to be charged periodically or is power to run it taken from the car battery itself.
It works in conjunction with the Central Locking. You can lock all doors, immobilize the engine (models with immobilizer example Innova). The power is taken from the Car Battery. the GSM system (Top end) has about 6 hours of backup power.

You need a smartphone to install the software that controls the Security system.

There are numerous threads and posts on GSM Security system. Check how a scorpio and bolero were stolen and recovered using GSM Security system.
Old 17th March 2012, 13:00   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It works in conjunction with the Central Locking. You can lock all doors, immobilize the engine (models with immobilizer example Innova). The power is taken from the Car Battery. the GSM system (Top end) has about 6 hours of backup power.

You need a smartphone to install the software that controls the Security system.

There are numerous threads and posts on GSM Security system. Check how a scorpio and bolero were stolen and recovered using GSM Security system.
Thanks for that info. So essentially what it lets you do is disable the car from a distance provided they have not found the system and disabled it. Also, does this system have GPS. I ask as this is very useful for helping to locate the car. Sounds like it from what you say.

Is a system like this very small and easy to hide in a car. I have an Alto and Esteem and both of these are not cars with lots of hidden areas where you are unlikely to spot something.
Old 17th March 2012, 18:40   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that info. So essentially what it lets you do is disable the car from a distance provided they have not found the system and disabled it. Also, does this system have GPS. I ask as this is very useful for helping to locate the car. Sounds like it from what you say.

Is a system like this very small and easy to hide in a car. I have an Alto and Esteem and both of these are not cars with lots of hidden areas where you are unlikely to spot something.
Yes Ganapathy - You can disable the car from a distance. If you go in for middle models they have an interface which can tell you where in India your car is. you vehicle will appear on a map which will look somewhat like Google Maps.

The ideal and best ways out are these -

Proactively lock the car using the SMS Code always (addition to the car's default system) whether in a shopping mall or at your house or even if you are at your local restaurant for Lunch. This will ensure No one can drive the car away.

Secondly - you have a feature called "Perimeter fencing / lock" In the map like interface you can configure your default area (ideally your house / apartment parking) within a radius of say 5 meters. Once you car leaves this radius, you will receive an alert on 3 sim cards (can be configured to number of your choice. Parents / spouse / anyone). Once you receive this alert, you can disable the car through SMS.

Hope this helps
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 18:27   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is very much a stealth install. The average thief cannot easily spot this device. The installers make it a stealth install and if at all the thief manages to find this device and cuts power supply abruptly, the system would send you a warning / disable the engine.
Old 19th March 2012, 19:10   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is very much a stealth install. The average thief cannot easily spot this device. The installers make it a stealth install and if at all the thief manages to find this device and cuts power supply abruptly, the system would send you a warning / disable the engine.
Bharath, thanks for all that feedback. I will definitely get this security system installed on both my cars.

A quick question, does this system only work on cars that have an ECU to run the engine. Am assuming that is how the engine is disabled.
Old 19th March 2012, 19:40   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bharath, thanks for all that feedback. I will definitely get this security system installed on both my cars.
A quick question, does this system only work on cars that have an ECU to run the engine. Am assuming that is how the engine is disabled.
Yes the car is primarily disabled by cutting-off the ECU but there are systems which cut fuel to the engine / Disable starter Motor etc (non immobilizer vehicles like Pajero), there by stalling the vehicle.
Old 19th March 2012, 19:51   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the car is primarily disabled by cutting-off the ECU but there are systems which cut fuel to the engine / Disable starter Motor etc (non immobilizer vehicles like Pajero), there by stalling the vehicle.
That is good to know. So theoretically this can be installed on any vehicle. Or does it have to be fuel injected. Can it be installed on a carb vehicle that has no ECU, is what I am asking.
Old 19th March 2012, 20:05   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is good to know. So theoretically this can be installed on any vehicle. Or does it have to be fuel injected. Can it be installed on a carb vehicle that has no ECU, is what I am asking.
Yes its possible. The product person would suggest you the model and how best to utilize it depending on the Car.

Going by Thief's logic, If a car does not have an ECU (Pajero Excused) it must be pretty old and may not command a value in the stolen market or parts bazaar. For Non ECU Vehicles, Gear Lock + Steering lock will more than sufficiently shoo away the thief as it acts as a visual deterent. Instead of sawing or welding through a gear & steering lock of a TBHPian he would rather try his hand on the car of a not so car savvy Non TBHPian.

If the install is done professionally by professionals (example Xenos), where they saw out the bolt head, and the only way to remove the gear lock is to raise the car on the ramp and drill a where the bolt is fastened. It is not possible to do this on a street car theft rampage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks