Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2015, 21:27   #211
Team-BHP Support

Re: ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT

Someone had shared it on Facebook:

Best to not leave the laptop, laptop backpack, tablets (mounted on the dash), hand bags and suit cases on the seats. Dump them in the trunk.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 22:35   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Someone had shared it on Facebook:
Goodness! That fella looks like a pro. Never thought a slingshot can be used to break a window. From the date on the video, it looks to have happened mid 2014. Hope he was nabbed and booked.
Old 20th April 2015, 10:21   #213
Senior - BHPian

Why a remote car key should be kept in a refrigerator freezer.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...c-thieves.html
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 13:05   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

Wow, there are more "innovations" happening in ways to combat security than to make it more robust.

Recently, I even purchased a key online which can copy the code of your remote into the blank remote.
Old 20th April 2015, 14:29   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Instead of sawing or welding through a gear & steering lock of a TBHPian he would rather try his hand on the car of a not so car savvy Non TBHPian.
IMO, the best way to ensure that your car is safe, it to make sure you park it next to an easier to steal car. A thief will always go for an easier prey.

Could removing a wheel deter the thieves ? Suppose I am uncertain of my parking spot, or I'm parking somewhere unfamiliar, could I just jack up the car and put one wheel in the boot and take the tools with me ? I am certain that no thief will be willing to go through the hardship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

Technology, sigh, at times it is useful but often misused. The thieves have really out-smarted the car manufacturers by this.
Old 20th April 2015, 15:58   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Could removing a wheel deter the thieves ? Suppose I am uncertain of my parking spot, or I'm parking somewhere unfamiliar, could I just jack up the car and put one wheel in the boot and take the tools with me ? I am certain that no thief will be willing to go through the hardship.
hi - Yep - that would be a deterrent, unless the thief wants to steal the steel wheels

The only challenge is the pain of installing the wheels again and again and in case, one does it in a hurry, there could be too much camber of the wheels, thereby causing premature wear and instability at high speeds
Old 20th April 2015, 18:13   #217
BANNED

Quote:
Do you think you'd have so much time and patience to go through all this exercise twice a day (Minimum)?!

Wouldn't it look silly when all this drama is done.. Onlookers watching once you arrive at a parking spot, you come park the car, jack it up, remove the wheel, shove in the boot, shut it and lock the car and walk away.

Thanks all the checking etc done at mall entrances where will you keep the tools?
Old 20th April 2015, 18:24   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A better option is to remove the main fuse. Or even better, remove the distributor cap if that is easily doable in your car. I don't expect thieves to troubleshoot a car while stealing it.
Old 20th April 2015, 23:13   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Do you think you'd have so much time and patience to go through all this exercise twice a day (Minimum)?
Not an everyday solution, but can be used when in dire need. e.g. new town, unknown locality, etc
Quote:
Thanks all the checking etc done at mall entrances where will you keep the tools?
But I still doubt the security checks they do. I have been asked only once (Inorbit Vashi) when I was carrying a swiss knife about the purpose, but no where else am I stopped till date despite scanning my backpack though those x-ray machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
A better option is to remove the main fuse. Or even better, remove the distributor cap if that is easily doable in your car. I don't expect thieves to troubleshoot a car while stealing it.
Yes! this might be a better solution. And while we are discussing removable things, how about an F1 style quick release steering wheel ?
Imagine the thief's expression when he finds no steering wheel after getting in!
Old 24th May 2015, 18:35   #220
BHPian

I need advise on a case where car key has been lost. Though the owner has a duplicate key but what are the security implications of having lost a key.
Is there a need to inform the insurance company or lodge a FIR.
shall the car locks be replaced as a safety measure.
Old 24th May 2015, 19:36   #221
Senior - BHPian

instead of trying all this difficult stuff, why don't we plan to carry a vehicle wheel lock (as carried by the RTO, lock a wheel when we park the car, and unlock it when we want to drive away?
Old 24th May 2015, 20:48   #222
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik hill View Post
I need advise on a case where car key has been lost. Though the owner has a duplicate key but what are the security implications of having lost a key.
Is there a need to inform the insurance company or lodge a FIR.
shall the car locks be replaced as a safety measure.
Lodge an FIR, go to the car manufacturer, give them the copy of the FIR (IF they ask) for the keys lost and ask them to change all the locks on the car. Get you a new lock set with programmed keys on the ECU so that the new set of keys are recognised.
Old 25th May 2015, 01:14   #223
Senior - BHPian

The recent reports says that cars with keyless push-button engine start/stop switch are more vulnerable to theft when compared to cars with the traditional key based ignition.

There are several sources that mentions that insurance companies refuse to cover cars with push button start in some countries.
( one such link)

Last edited by for_cars1 : 25th May 2015 at 01:15.
Old 28th September 2015, 04:29   #224
BHPian

I had a swift zdi, and it was stolen in january this year in Moti Nagar Delhi. The car is exactly 1 year 11 month old at that time. I would have spent at least 200 hours running around police stations, insurance office and courts. Believe me this is the most frustrating exhausting physical activity I have done in my whole life. I am yet to get the insurance and not sure If I would get it. I had no security systems installed on the vehicle. I sincerely request you to have some security system installed. I will be loosing a lakh at least even if I get the insurance amount. On top of that the physical activity, time lost. And funny thing is that Delhi Police did not even come to the spot at all after registering the FIR.

Anyways I am getting a polo GT tsi. I know it has an immobilizer system. But have seen videos on youtube where people defeat the device with ease. So I don't want to take any chances. When I spoke to the dealership, they are against me installing a gear lock (is it even possible, given its an automatic?) or any other GPS system, threatening I would loose warranty. They ignorantly boast it's impossible to steal a VW car and not even a car has been stolen till date.

Please advise me what are my choices here.
Old 4th October 2015, 07:37   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsna777 View Post
I had a swift zdi, and it was stolen in january this year in Moti Nagar Delhi.

They ignorantly boast it's impossible to steal a VW car and not even a car has been stolen till date.

Please advise me what are my choices here.
Sorry to hear about your loss. I know it is a pain to lose a new car, that too less than 2 years old.

Your VW Dealer is wrong. it is very much possible to steal "any" car. The only trick lies to make the car less appealing to steal.

It is very much possible to install gear locks in an automatic vehicle.
The above wont make your car impossible to theft, but will make the thief move on to another more vulnerable car.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 4th October 2015 at 07:40.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks