Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2019, 23:06   #256
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Hidden master switch : Especially popular with the Jeep & Gypsy folk. Such a switch basically breaks the power supply from your battery to the ignition, or shuts off the fuel pump altogether. It is installed at a location in your car that's known only to you. Again, the key is to deter the thief as much as possible.
One of my favourite YouTubers, ChrisFix, shows us how to install a hidden kill-switch in our cars. It's a complete DIY, and very easy to set up!

Last edited by boniver : 30th April 2019 at 23:32.
boniver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 13:11   #257
BHPian

Tesla Model S stolen in just 30 seconds using a keyless hack
According to media reports, the camera installed in the driveway captured the theft
In the video, one of the thieves is seen holding the key fob attack system before his accomplice reversed the Tesla and drove it away
Read further:
https://www.livemint.com/auto-news/t...798674213.html
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT-teslamodelskske621x414livemint_1566799121235.jpg  

Last edited by virgopal : 26th August 2019 at 13:18. Reason: Adding image
virgopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 11:30   #258
BHPian

All 4 wheels of a Creta and a Seltos stolen in Delhi (https://gaadiwaadi.com/all-4-wheels-...tolen-details/)

What is strange is the way both the cars have been supported using bricks, looks like it may have been done by the same culprit/s. Eerily, they have targeted the Hyndai/Kia siblings in this case.

Also, I am not much acquainted with the new connected cars technology. Isn't it supposed to give a warning through the app when this incident was happening?
Old 6th July 2020, 11:47   #259
BHPian

Is there a gear lock for AMT cars? I have recently purchased a Swift VXi AMT and looking at installing a gear lock (if possible). Thanks!
Old 16th September 2020, 21:16   #260
BHPian

Dear Fellow BHPians,

I'm planning to buy a new car - Creta 2020 which will be equipped with Bluelink feature ( remote immobilization, location tracking, geo fencing etc)

I'm planning to further use a steering lock if I've to park my car in open at not-so-safe location.

My doubts are:

1. Considering thieves are also quite tech-savvy these days, how tamper-proof is bluelink technology especially immobilizer

2. Is there something which I can do to have a better sleep if I'm parking my car at tricky locations?

Cheers
deepakdograbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 13:57   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakdograbhp View Post
Dear Fellow BHPians,

I'm planning to buy a new car - Creta 2020 which will be equipped with Bluelink feature ( remote immobilization, location tracking, geo fencing etc)

Cheers
I have the same question! Looking forward to suggestions.
Old 5th November 2020, 15:57   #262
Team-BHP Support

My in laws place has no guest parking so I have to park on the road, often overnight. Lately there have been many car thefts, so I have decided to get some sort of protection for my S-Cross.

If foolproof, good but something that makes the thief's job harder and encourages him to pick the next car should also do.

Any suggestions? I have seen some cars using this, but is there something better?

https://www.amazon.in/Sevia-Anti-The...googinhydr1-21
Old 5th November 2020, 16:11   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
My in laws place has no guest parking so I have to park on the road, often overnight. Lately there have been many car thefts, so I have decided to get some sort of protection for my S-Cross.

If foolproof, good but something that makes the thief's job harder and encourages him to pick the next car should also do.

Any suggestions? I have seen some cars using this, but is there something better?
Hi. The link that you’ve posted is good if there’s a risk of theft even by towing away a vehicle. Else, just pulling out the main relays for the ECU and starter would be a good surprise for the crooks. Small inconvenience but doesn’t take more than minute to execute.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 17:48   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hi. The link that you’ve posted is good if there’s a risk of theft even by towing away a vehicle. Else, just pulling out the main relays for the ECU and starter would be a good surprise for the crooks. Small inconvenience but doesn’t take more than minute to execute.

Regards.
+1

A trick I have used in the past is to disconnect the negative cable from the battery. Yes, you lose your ECU and ICE settings and the car's immobilisation "alarm" system will not work. In the US I have seen quick disconnect systems that achieve precisely this

An extreme but admittedly not very practical suggestion - if the place is really dicey just disconnect your battery and take it with you. Thieves never carry batteries they're just too heavy and slow them down. My car's 45 AH battery weigh about 12 kgs (the Fiat's 50 AH battery is about 14) and most modern car's have batteries that weigh 10-20 Kgs and possibly even more.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 18:01   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

Regards.
When I park at not so safe places, I carry some fuses/relays with me. Mostly it's the fuel pump and/or starter motor related. Everything else works so the cars appear "normal" to thugs from outside.

This act of mine was a topic of joke in my colleague circle, until a friend's 2019 Ciaz got saved by this same trick. Thieves got access into his car by damaging the driver side ORVM, only to find that it won't start.

Wish I could witness the looks on their faces, after putting in so much effort.
Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 10:48   #266
BHPian

Strange no one mentioned installation of CCTV cameras, as the best deterrent for thieves, every household should have them.
Keeps a check on outside and indoor activities (house helps, etc).
You can keep checking on your mobile, both your cars and home.
Rest the fuses removable etc, as suggested should keep you in peace.
Old 6th November 2020, 23:21   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
When I park at not so safe places, I carry some fuses/relays with me. Mostly it's the fuel pump and/or starter motor related. Everything else works so the cars appear "normal" to thugs from outside.

This act of mine was a topic of joke in my colleague circle, until a friend's 2019 Ciaz got saved by this same trick. Thieves got access into his car by damaging the driver side ORVM, only to find that it won't start.

Wish I could witness the looks on their faces, after putting in so much effort.
Am a complete novice- how to remove fuse/relays?
Old 8th November 2020, 07:44   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_rdey View Post
Am a complete novice- how to remove fuse/relays?
Also keen to know this. Unfortunately such incidents are on the rise. So want to be little geared up for my new Creta 2020.

Can anyone also help me understand if faraday pouch is worth a shot?

I'm further planning to use a brake lock which could be little inconvenient for the thief to cur through due to its position.

@all - Am i sounding paranoid with too much thinking? In my defence, Creta 2020 being high in demand is very much prone to thefts.
Old 8th November 2020, 16:17   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakdograbhp View Post
Also keen to know this. Unfortunately such incidents are on the rise. So want to be little geared up for my new Creta 2020.

Can anyone also help me understand if faraday pouch is worth a shot?

I'm further planning to use a brake lock which could be little inconvenient for the thief to cur through due to its position.

@all - Am i sounding paranoid with too much thinking? In my defence, Creta 2020 being high in demand is very much prone to thefts.
Have you got a gps tracker installed? I am looking for a trustworthy accessories shop in South Delhi for my new Ertiga. Please let me know if you know of any such store that is not a rip off
Old 8th November 2020, 20:57   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_rdey View Post
Have you got a gps tracker installed? I am looking for a trustworthy accessories shop in South Delhi for my new Ertiga. Please let me know if you know of any such store that is not a rip off
Hey, my car is expected to be delivered this week. So havent ordered anything as yet. I assume if a gps tracker needs to be installed, it has to be discreet as first thing a thief will do is to disable bluelink tracking/any gps tracker linked to obd port.

Found this to be useful -
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0855TMDY3/..._DZaQFbBX4ZHFQ

its a kinda power bank powered tracking device which needs to be recharged every 20-22 days with frequent monitoring. Can be hidden anywhere in the car and will work independent of ECU.

Last edited by deepakdograbhp : 8th November 2020 at 21:01.

Most Viewed