Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 18:03   #1
BHPian

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)

It was the summer of 2007, in the middle of a concrete jungle, rusting in the compound of a government building, I saw a jeep from the distance that was unmistakably a LHD...

Employed as territory manager in a telecom company, I had just finished a morning sales meeting at my distributors office and had stepped out for a cup of chai when this jeep caught my attention (yes in the exact condition you see in the pictures). I immediately hurried to inspect the jeep and inquired about the departments intentions of disposing/auctioning it only to be told they were too busy with more important things. I decided to follow up and keep track and told very few people about its whereabouts.

Later in 2010, my father a budding jeep enthusiast (thankfully my interest rubbed off on him as well) visited the office to check on the jeep and to our surprise, it was being auctioned. Call it luck, destiny or anything similar but we made it just in time and bought the jeep.

Here are some pictures of the 3b when she was standing in the department compound:
Attached Thumbnails
Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-o1.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-o2.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-o3.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-o4.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-o5.jpg  

Old 13th May 2011, 18:07   #2
BHPian

Re: Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)

and some more of the Jeep when it was brought home....
Attached Thumbnails
Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-o6.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-o7.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-o8.jpg  

Old 13th May 2011, 18:12   #3
BHPian

I see that this is an AP Registered one, did you buy it in AP or in MH? I am confused as your location reads Mumbai and the vehicle says AP. However, congrats on your purchase. Hope to see it regain its lost glory soon.
Old 13th May 2011, 18:13   #4
BHPian

Another restoration thread that I would be glued to. Congratulations on this original LHD CJ3B Willys.

The thread naming "rust to riches" suites the post perfectly.
Old 13th May 2011, 18:31   #5
BHPian

Between 2010 to now, we have been working hard on the jeep to bring it back to life... My intention was to 'Restore' this jeep and not just rebuild it..

The plan: First work on the mechanical and then the body.

Reality check: The Jeep had been last used in the mid 70's before it was left to rot. To add to its misery, it was parked under a rain water drain which ensured a constant stream of water not only during the monsoons but every time the AC's above were turned on. The engine bay had been cannibalized and the plugs removed resulting in water making its way into the engine.The floor pan had rusted to paper thin and I could make holes in the jeep with just my bare hands..

Surprise: The jeep had mostly American parts. The rear diff was a DANA 44 and the front DANA 25. Both these were in great condition. It retained its original long Toledo data plate that had never been removed (later it reveled the original CJ paint underneath). The engine number and the chassis numbers matched the M&M data plate. The tail gate although bent was in good nick...
Attached Thumbnails
Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-o9.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-o10.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-o14.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-o15.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-o12.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-o13.jpg  

Old 13th May 2011, 18:39   #6
BHPian

Woww....Congratulations on this original LHD CJ3B Willys. Will be following this thread

-Karumbaiah
Old 13th May 2011, 19:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Attari ji - Atta boy! One more of these beauties going to spring back to life!

A question,

The data plate screws - was it a star screw in those days?

Overall - Awesome catch!!

Last edited by Shubz : 13th May 2011 at 19:56. Reason: didn't realize year of make is in the title
Old 13th May 2011, 20:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Attari. The pitiable condition that this jeep was in, needs guts to acquire and restore it back to originality.The jeep is Government of A.P. owned.
I am not sure as to what stage of restoration you are in now? While you are restoring the points that need attention are:
-the speedo and meter cluster has been changed to the Indian version. All LHD's had the imported big round one, with a red needle and the fuel and temperature meter within.
-the stepney bracket has been shifted from the right side end (beyond the rear wheel) to the back of the jeep.
-The carburettor and fuel pump were of Carter make in the American LHD jeeps.This carburettor here is a Solex that came in Indian ones.I have not been able to see the fuel pump in your jeep. The Carter's were more fuel thirsty than the Solex.
-the paper tray below the dash (right side) is a welded add-on for the babus paper/letter space and work.
-the seats appear to have been modded (lots of foam) to be comfy for the government babus to travel.
-the rear bumper is original with the WILLYS angular cuts on both sides lower part.
-the front parking lights are original. The rear taillight console is original. Rear indicator covers are missing.
-the headlights appear to have been replaced.Try and get the original ones fitted.
-the manually operated wiper on the right top is missing.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th May 2011 at 20:54.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 03:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Attari ji - Atta boy! One more of these beauties going to spring back to life!

A question,

The data plate screws - was it a star screw in those days?

Overall - Awesome catch!!
Shubz,you ask an very interesting question... While I was doing research on the Cj3a (Which I shall be restoring soon after) it came to light that around the end of production which would end 52 early 53 Willys has started using the star screws. This was possibly because of the introduction of mechanized tools.. Now ideally this would have continued into the 3b's but as you can see mine had the regular ones and i doubt is they were ever changed. I would attribute this to the fact that this jeep was assembled in India..

Would love to know more about the M&M assemble line and to what extent did they assemble jeeps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Congratulations Attari. The pitiable condition that this jeep was in, needs guts to acquire and restore it back to originality.The jeep is Government of A.P. owned.
I am not sure as to what stage of restoration you are in now? While you are restoring the points that need attention are:
-the speedo and meter cluster has been changed to the Indian version. All LHD's had the imported big round one, with a red needle and the fuel and temperature meter within.
-the stepney bracket has been shifted from the right side end (beyond the rear wheel) to the back of the jeep.
-The carburettor and fuel pump were of Carter make in the American LHD jeeps.This carburettor here is a Solex that came in Indian ones.I have not been able to see the fuel pump in your jeep. The Carter's were more fuel thirsty than the Solex.
-the paper tray below the dash (right side) is a welded add-on for the babus paper/letter space and work.
-the seats appear to have been modded (lots of foam) to be comfy for the government babus to travel.
-the rear bumper is original with the WILLYS angular cuts on both sides lower part.
-the front parking lights are original. The rear taillight console is original. Rear indicator covers are missing.
-the headlights appear to have been replaced.Try and get the original ones fitted.
-the manually operated wiper on the right top is missing.
Anjan, the Jeep is nearly restored and I shall be putting up pictures soon. Most of what you have pointed out as been take care except the carter fuel pump (I only managed to get one recently) and I have removed the rear indicators. The manual wiper is missing and I have not been able to get one yet.. I am also looking for a correct Trico vacuum wiper motor for the driver side...
Old 14th May 2011, 06:51   #10
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Attari on this superb buy. These kind of direct buys which have elements of spotting an opportunity, follow up, keen anticpation and some luck give most pleasure.

Having seen the work on your low bonnet earlier, I am sure this will be a good looker and the rust to riches will wonderfully play out.

By the way did you also get a trailer? I did spot a trailer in one of the pictures.

Cheers

KPS
Old 14th May 2011, 09:08   #11
BHPian

Superb buy Attari , were you able to get through the RTO formalities , in AP that seems to be major headache now , with new GO in place .which department was it from by looks it should be waterworks or R&B
Old 14th May 2011, 14:04   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Today I saw the original meter. It has warning lights for engine oil and battery charging (ammeter). The make is "Autometer license by Motometer."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attari View Post
Anjan, the Jeep is nearly restored and I shall be putting up pictures soon. Most of what you have pointed out as been take care except the carter fuel pump (I only managed to get one recently) and I have removed the rear indicators. The manual wiper is missing and I have not been able to get one yet.. I am also looking for a correct Trico vacuum wiper motor for the driver side...
Attari, would be waiting to see how the final look of the classic Willys is? Yes, you are right the Trico vacuum wiper motor should be a very good addition.The most easily available spare for this wiper is the plastic, vacuum pipe.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 14th May 2011 at 14:06.
Old 16th May 2011, 07:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Congrats Attari on this superb buy. These kind of direct buys which have elements of spotting an opportunity, follow up, keen anticpation and some luck give most pleasure.

Having seen the work on your low bonnet earlier, I am sure this will be a good looker and the rust to riches will wonderfully play out.

By the way did you also get a trailer? I did spot a trailer in one of the pictures.

Cheers

KPS
The trailer you see was a M&M and I already have one, so dint pay too much attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovergen View Post
Superb buy Attari , were you able to get through the RTO formalities , in AP that seems to be major headache now , with new GO in place .which department was it from by looks it should be waterworks or R&B
The formalities nearly drove us mad. Our country desperately needs a fresh set of people governing it and a serious change in our attitude. I got the papers out and I am proud to say that not a single paisa was paid as bribe.. BUT it almost took the fun out of this jeep at one point..
Old 16th May 2011, 10:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nice find Saif ...soon you will have a mini Jeep museum at your place
Old 16th May 2011, 13:56   #15
BHPian

Congratulations!

Subscribing to the thread and eagerly waiting for updates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks