Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 14:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)

I was determined to bring this jeep back to its former glory and thus post some research on the internet and a few clues that my jeep provided the following was decided:

1. A MPH speedo meter
2. Sheller steering wheel with the flat smaller horn button (not the MB/GPW type)
3. A single HALL type tail light on the driver side
4. A reflector on the rear passenger side. (the second tail light was an extra option, just like the front passenger seat, the rear seat, the second vacuum wiper in place of the manual hand operated one, etc)
5. Individual front seats
6. Complete top assembly
7. Original pain scheme (Black on the chassis,engine,windshield,seats and fuel tank. Body would be the same blue that was found under the data plates)
8. Carter YF carburetor

The decision to go with a single tail light was taken after much debate. While safety on Indian roads would stipulate tail light on both sides, I decided against it only because my jeep showed no signs of having the second one.

Another tough decision was the removal of the rear indicator lights. While these seem to be an Indian addition and were very much present on my Jeep, I dint see them on any of the documented original 3b's of the same period in the US.

After collecting parts for my 1943 MB, the 3b was a piece of cake.. I was lucky enough to get most of them here itself and had to look for a few in the US. For eg: the front parking lights, the tail light and the steering wheel were from here and the speedometer, correct switches, carter carb etc were got from the US.

Below are a couple of pictures of the parts that were sourced.
Attached Thumbnails
Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-tb1.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-parking-lights.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-hal-tail-light.jpg  

Old 16th May 2011, 14:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attari View Post
I was determined to bring this jeep back to its former glory and thus post some research on the internet and a few clues that my jeep provided the following was decided:
congratulation mate,i have the similar jeep from the Govt of Punjab auction,luckily she was not rusted and garaged since 70's waiting for her turn for restoration, pls share some pics of your jeep

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th May 2011 at 13:24. Reason: lease DO NOT quoting large text, videos and pictures as it inconveniences our mobile users. Repeat will attract infraction
Old 16th May 2011, 16:15   #18
BHPian

Attari,

congratulation. ALL the best for your project.
Old 16th May 2011, 16:59   #19
BHPian

An awesome catch Attari ji. The data plates holding up this long seems to be a surprise considering the spate of the rest of the CJ3B. And seems like you are very particular in sourcing the rest of the missing parts. Kudos.

Cheers
Sun
Old 16th May 2011, 18:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am also looking for a correct Trico vacuum wiper motor for the driver side...
Do let me know if you find one extra That is the only thing I am missing in mine.
Old 17th May 2011, 12:35   #21
BHPian

here are the pics of my jeep,i removed the headlamps as they were original prestolite made in USA written on them ,will try to retain the glasses and change the reflectors
Attached Thumbnails
Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-img2011051701907.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-img2011051701906.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-img2011051701908.jpg  

Old 17th May 2011, 13:41   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
here are the pics of my jeep,i removed the headlamps as they were original prestolite made in USA written on them ,will try to retain the glasses and change the reflectors
OHH!! thats a really nice jeep inderpalgill... Which year is it? How is the hand break leaver placed? is it the L type of the T type?

Were you able to find the Serial number of your jeep? it will be stamped on the right (passenger side) chassis horn that meets the front bumper..

Ok gents, like I mentioned earlier the jeep is in an advanced stage of restoration and here are few pictures that were taken a couple of weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-001.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-0002.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-0003.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-0004.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th May 2011 at 13:22. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post
Old 17th May 2011, 13:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Wow Saif ...you don't mess around do you. The work is going great. There is a little wave in the right top ofthe dash that doens't look good, you should have it attended to.

Whee are the pictures taken. There are so many Jeeps to be seen, are they all yours ????

What is that cream car in one of the pictures
Old 17th May 2011, 14:29   #24
BHPian

Quote:
OHH!! thats a really nice jeep inderpalgill... Which year is it? How is the hand break leaver placed? is it the L type of the T type?

Were you able to find the Serial number of your jeep? it will be stamped on the right (passenger side) chassis horn that meets the front bumper..
Thanks mate the handbrake is L shape and is 53 i guess,the number i will try to find and update,will start the restoration soon,the speedo as is your is missing,any help for the same will be appreciated whats the status of your jeep
Old 17th May 2011, 15:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Wow Saif ...you don't mess around do you..
Wasif bhai, If only I owned so many jeeps... everyone at home is quite irritated with what they call my obsession and i would rather call it my indulgence..

These pictures were taken in Jaipur where my jeep is being restored at Mr. Indravija Singh's workshop (aka Tony Singh). In fact all my jeeps are or have been restored there (we are now starting work on my cj3a).

I find him not only economical (even though the jeeps have to be transported back and froth from hyderabad to jaipur) but most knowledgeable and very efficient. Unlike most jeep workshops his specializes in restoring jeeps of all vintage and they know exactly what goes where. Mr. Singh and his son Adhiraj are both jeep enthusiast and besides having quite a bit of practical knowledge they are open to research on the internet and have access to most of the original manuals. Any doubt is quickly clarified by accessing tons of research material on the internet and various forums. This reflects in the work and most importantly I am at peace when the jeep is being worked on there....

I am not sure of the cream car. Mr. Singh does have a few vintage cars as well. Both owned and restored for others.

Quote:
Thanks mate the handbrake is L shape and is 53 i guess..
3b's from 53 to end 56 had a 5 meter cluster on the dash. The single meter unit was introduced in early 57. The L shape hand break lever was removed and in its place the T shape handle introduced in the early 60's in fact 61 to be precise. Thus your jeep must be between 57 to 61...

here is an interesting article for dating a Cj3b based on interiors.. Interior Details on the Jeep CJ3B Page

Regarding a single meter cluster:

-if you are keen for a MPH meter, I would recommend ebay.com , you will be able to find one anywhere between $30 t0 $145 depending on its condition. The one you see on my dash was for $55.

-If you are keen on a KPH, then those are available here in India and are priced Rs.1500 upwards.. Although you will have to do a bit of searching...
Old 18th May 2011, 11:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Wasif bhai, If only I owned so many jeeps... everyone at home is quite irritated with what they call my obsession and i would rather call it my indulgence..
sir, i was wrong for the hand brake and rechecked yesterday again and clicked a pic too, the brake is T shaped and dash has one big whole for a single meter and switches just as your dash seems to be, being new to the jeep stuff,pls suggest what year is it the RC book reads 53 and in the name of Govt of Punjab and hence exempted for tax,but i had to pay from the date it was auctioned and tfred in my name,another interesting fact is the jeep is not with OHV engine it has the side valve engine and the engine number too matches the RC book,whats the mystery

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th May 2011 at 13:21. Reason: Please DO NOT quoting large text, videos and pictures as it inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!
Old 18th May 2011, 12:57   #27
BHPian

Quote:
sir, i was wrong for the hand brake and rechecked yesterday again and clicked a pic too, the brake is T shaped and dash has one big whole for a single meter and switches just as your dash seems to be, being new to the jeep stuff,pls suggest what year is it the RC book reads 53 and in the name of Govt of Punjab and hence exempted for tax,but i had to pay from the date it was auctioned and tfred in my name,another interesting fact is the jeep is not with OHV engine it has the side valve engine and the engine number too matches the RC book,whats the mystery
A 'go devil' engine in a Cj3b from a govt department is strange.. I have never heard of one and would attribute it to a engine transplant sometime during its service in the govt. The T hand break and a single big meter confirms that your jeep is a post 61 and pre 66 as thats when we start seeing JEEP being embossed in india and some early ones were LHD as well.

Anyway, a few questions come to mind regarding your jeep:

1. What is engine serial number? and the block casting number? ignore the RC please check the engine itself. (you will find the engine number on the boss above the water pump OR behind the oil filter. The casting number will be on the passenger side of the block at the bottom)

2. What is your chassis number? again check the jeep and not the RC.

3. is your tool box lid curved at the edges or is it square in shape? a photograph would help.

Please remember that gauging the year of manufacture of any vintage jeep by the entry on its RC book would be futile. The serial number and a few other clues in design and body changes can be more reliable. I own 3 jeeps and none have the correct year mentioned on the RC.
Old 18th May 2011, 13:13   #28
BHPian

Quote:
A 'go devil' engine in a Cj3b from a govt department is strange.. I have never heard of one and would attribute it to a engine transplant sometime during its service in the govt. The T hand break and a single big meter confirms that your jeep is a post 61 and pre 66 as thats when we start seeing JEEP being embossed in india and some early ones were LHD as well.

Anyway, a few questions come to mind regarding your jeep:

1. What is engine serial number? and the block casting number? ignore the RC please check the engine itself. (you will find the engine number on the boss above the water pump OR behind the oil filter. The casting number will be on the passenger side of the block at the bottom)

2. What is your chassis number? again check the jeep and not the RC.

3. is your tool box lid curved at the edges or is it square in shape? a photograph would help.

Please remember that gauging the year of manufacture of any vintage jeep by the entry on its RC book would be futile. The serial number and a few other clues in design and body changes can be more reliable. I own 3 jeeps and none have the correct year mentioned on the RC.
that sounds really informative, i forgot to add the picture and will check the numbers and the lid shape by evening,the jeep has the air cleaner embossed made in usa,and so are the prestolite made in usa headlamps, so does that mean the jeep was made in usa?here is the dash pic
Attached Thumbnails
Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-img2011051701912.jpg  

Old 18th May 2011, 15:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:
that sounds really informative, i forgot to add the picture and will check the numbers and the lid shape by evening,the jeep has the air cleaner embossed made in usa,and so are the prestolite made in usa headlamps, so does that mean the jeep was made in usa?here is the dash pic
I would predict more likely assembled in India by M&M.. My jeep too had quite a few American parts.

Looking forward to the information requested earlier...

rgds
Old 20th May 2011, 17:38   #30
BHPian

Attari, congrats on adding a Willys CJ3B to your Jeep Collection(your Willys MB which is a gem as well).

Your restoration is coming up very well and your Jeep looks awesome in Blue (BTW, I have a 55 CJ3B in the same color...yet to be restored). The blue you have chosen - is it "Blue Comet Poly" as per the shade samples on the CJ3B page? Jeep CJ-3B Paint Samples 1955-58 If yes, please do let me know the color code you have used as I too intend to paint my 3B the same color.

@Inderpalgill: Congrats, thats a nice Jeep you have found. Are those Prestolites Sealed Beams? If you don't mind can you please post another pic. Please do try and restore the Sealed beams if you can...instead of using just the glasses. I knew Prestolite made some other electrical parts like Rotor, distributor parts etc, but this is a great find. I remember reading somewhere that head light beams were usually GE and Westinghouse.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 20th May 2011 at 17:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks