Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2011, 18:22   #31
BHPian

Re: Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)

Awesomeness would be an understatement to this beautiful restoration. A true CJ3B is back to it's glory days.

Just a question. When did they (company) moved the extra wheel from the side of the jeep to the rear end of the vehicle.
Old 20th May 2011, 19:20   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attari View Post
I would predict more likely assembled in India by M&M.. My jeep too had quite a few American parts.

Looking forward to the information requested earlier...

rgds

When are you posting the FINAL look of your Jeep....?

With the kind of crisp and clear restoration work that is happening, we are really eager to see the final outcome.
Old 20th May 2011, 23:12   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Attari, congrats on adding a Willys CJ3B to your Jeep Collection(your Willys MB which is a gem as well).

Your restoration is coming up very well and your Jeep looks awesome in Blue (BTW, I have a 55 CJ3B in the same color...yet to be restored). The blue you have chosen - is it "Blue Comet Poly" as per the shade samples on the CJ3B page? Jeep CJ-3B Paint Samples 1955-58 If yes, please do let me know the color code you have used as I too intend to paint my 3B the same color.
I remember your post and jeep very well and its colour combination. I must be honest with you, dint go by the paint chips but tried matching the colour to the one we found behind the original data plates.

You have the rarer of the 3b's with the 5 meter console and that is someting to treasure... hope to see your restoration soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj3bDog View Post
Just a question. When did they (company) moved the extra wheel from the side of the jeep to the rear end of the vehicle.
usually the M series (Military series like the MB, M38, M38A1 and the M606) jeeps had the wheel mounted at the back. All CJ's came with factory fitted side spare wheel mounts. However I think there is some information regarding mounting the spare wheel on the tail gate of a CJ and how it was a modification that may have been done by the dealers.. need to double check on that.

Incidentaly i dont tthink the same stands for jeeps that came out of M&M, may be someone with more knoledge on jeeps in India could help by providing some information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
When are you posting the FINAL look of your Jeep....?

With the kind of crisp and clear restoration work that is happening, we are really eager to see the final outcome.
Hi Pavan, The jeep arrived today from Jaipur in the evening and developed a small oil leak (a leaking oil pipe) which has led to the whole engine bay being covered in oil. I intend to fix this tomorrow and with a few final touches in place like the 4wheel drive stencil and data plates in place will put up some pictures.
Old 21st May 2011, 19:09   #34
BHPian

Here is an update from me.. After a quick fix on the oil line and a clean up of the engine bay, I drove the mighty hurricane for a few miles and have a smile I still cant wipe off..

Let me emphasis again, there is nothing like a carter carb on a jeep. If its the OHV then it must be the YF and on the 'go devil' engine a WO.. I know the petrol prices have gone up but even a bigger hole in my pocket wont make me change back to the sloex.

The final touches on the jeep were the stencils and decals and an original CJ3b battery bracket.

The jeep still needs a little attention in regard to the fuel pump (intend to put a carter that i got from ebay), and wipers, but largely i think its pretty much complete.

Hope you all like the pictures.. (please ignore the shadows, i took these pictures during sunset under the cover of trees)
Attached Thumbnails
Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-aa1.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-aa2.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-aa3.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-aa4.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-aa5.jpg  

Attari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 19:12   #35
BHPian

pictures of the interiors & engine bay...
Attached Thumbnails
Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-aa11.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-aa6.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-aa8.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-aa9.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-aa10.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 21st May 2011, 19:40   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attari View Post
pictures of the interiors & engine bay...
You Bet.... We are enjoying the End result....

Very crisp and cutting tooo FINE.................One of the FINEST CJ3B's seen on the Forum...

Congratulations once again.

Try working a period look for the Number plate too.....

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 21st May 2011 at 19:42.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 19:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

The willys is fantastic.
Is that speedo original or a retro?
Old 21st May 2011, 20:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

This is probably one of the finest jeeps I've come across in the recent times. looks a million buck$$ cheers! the only suggestion i can offer is to get rid of the LHD and 4WD stickering / lettering on the back.. it takes away the originality of the jeep.

Last edited by smsrini : 21st May 2011 at 21:01.
Old 21st May 2011, 21:18   #39
Senior - BHPian

Hi Saif,

Awesome. The eye to detailing is evident. I love the perfection you try to achieve. I am loving all the decals that you have put. Hats off to you.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 22:18   #40
Team-BHP Support

Nice! How long did it take in total and it would be good to know the details of the workshop and if possible the cost involved also.

Did you do all the procurement of parts yourself or was it done by the shop.

Anyways great jeep and i like the color.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 22:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
This is probably one of the finest jeeps I've come across in the recent times. looks a million buck$$ cheers! the only suggestion i can offer is to get rid of the LHD and 4WD stickering / lettering on the back.. it takes away the originality of the jeep.
The fonts and letters are original lookalikes.
See the pics.
Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-4_wheel_drive.jpg Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-4wd_tailgate_stencil_classic120x120.jpg
Old 22nd May 2011, 00:42   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The willys is fantastic.
Is that speedo original or a retro?
Hi Rajeev, The speedo is an original take off from a jeep in the US. I got it in working condition and it needed only a clean up.. In case youre wondering about the meter setup being original, it was introduced on the Cj3b's in 1957.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
The 4 wheel drive stencil was very much present on jeeps at the time. The stencil itself went through many changes and this particular one was common starting 57. There is quite a bit of reserarch done on this topic..

Regarding the Left hand drive stencil in this particular font: While there isnt much informatin nor any doccumentation on the international forums, I had seen it on one of UBS's jeeps and earlier this year I got a few very rare Black & White photographs from a fellow bhpian and was amazed to see a similar stencil on the jeep. The photograph was taken in 56.

The only difference, the jeep in the photograph had the 4 wheel drive stencil on the left (when viewing from the back) and LHD on the right. I followed the US way of 4 wheel stencil on the right. (obviously jeeps in america dint need a LHD stencil )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Nice! How long did it take in total and it would be good to know the details of the workshop and if possible the cost involved also.

Did you do all the procurement of parts yourself or was it done by the shop.

Anyways great jeep and i like the color.
Jaggu, in all the jeep cost me (including purchasing and transportiong to and fro from hyd to jaipur) around 2lac and nearly a year to complete. in fact less.

I sent the jeep to Mr. Indra Vijay Singhs workshop in Jaipur. AKA Tony Singh.

For all those who are restoring a jeep or intend to, the avaliability of parts is becoming eaiser day by day. The US is a treasure trove and besides replicating everything they seem to have a large stock of NOS and take out parts. The cost of shipping? well all I can say is if you make a list first and order in big lots it works out econimical. I sourced most of the parts myself and Mr. Tony Singh was most helpful in case emergencies. His workshop is a jeep heven and the mechanics there do a brilliant job.
Attari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2011, 10:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

That's a fantastic restoration of a LHD Jeep !! Great work !

Just 1 question - The hub/wheel center of the front wheel looks a little odd; it looks like that from the Armada/Armada Grand. Can you tell me what it is?
Old 22nd May 2011, 10:48   #44
Senior - BHPian

Very nice job Saif...so the Jeep is back in Hydeerabad now. Its nice to see an APY regestered Jeep, matches the regestration on your Fiat
Old 22nd May 2011, 10:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

Attari,
Great effort and job on a very well done restoration!

The Mahindra plate on an LHD, I am asking myself, why did Mahindra assemble or sell a LHD Jeep in a RHD country? I always was under the impression that RHD Jeeps only were assembled, manufactured or retailed in India.

Try changing the air cleaner to carb. boot, you still can get the original in Hyd.
Is there any way you can get rid of the arched rear, top panel, does not go well here.
Regards,

Most Viewed