Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2012, 23:20   #196
BHPian

Re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

HI Rahul Bhai

Thanks for uploading the pics of the carburetor service ,It has cme out really well Yesterday I happen to take her out for a small ride and was amazed that the smothnessstill persisted. In fact It as become more smoother than my bike, Cheers to the simplicity and the technology of those days where in things were built to last.

Thanks
Sushil Narayanan
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 23:32   #197
BHPian

Re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Wow! is the only word that comes to mind quickly. You have one of the best looking scooters out there. The whole thread made me nostalgic, even my father had a blue Chetak (MZC 1066). This was sold off some time in 1994-1995; I don't know where it is now.
You have spent a lot of effort on the restoration, and the final outcome is worth it. The attention to detail is just fantastic, even the handle grips are authentic. Brilliant Do keep maintaining the scooter even in future, even if you don't drive it too much !How many kilometers had you clocked before the restoration and how many after the restoration?
Hi W.A.G.7
Thanks for the compliments Buddy. Its indeed nice to know that What started as a small wish for me to preserve my fathers memory is creating waves of nostalgia amontg others. In fact this is one thing that all of us can relate to. going on drives with our fathers sitting on the tiny little seat on the front.

Yes you are right the scooter has come out really well because I really invested almost 6 to 9 months in its restoration . thanks for the rains that caused the delay. but neverthe less it came out well.Thanks to the efforts of my mechanic who could understand my passion and the wishes of all my fellow team bhpians. Well your wish is my command brother, I shall maintain her like this forever.

Now coming back to your question "How many kilometers had you clocked before the restoration and how many after the restoration"

Its hard to say that because when the scooter was in regular use the speedo cales was always used to getting weared off because of which the speedo never used to work.

When my dad got it done up firat time in 1990 she had already completed 55000 kms then when i got it done way back in 2002 again i guess the reading showed somewhat similar. In between although the scooter wasin use daily the speedomater was not working for about 5 years. finally got it serviced in 2004 again and got the reading to 00000 in the last seven years in hyderabad it had run about 16000kms with 2 years again because of the speedo problem.
I would suggst easily around 1.lack kms if we look at it from the time it was purchased.

But now after restoration I am happy to et you know that i have completed 800Kms and in another 200 kms my scooter is due for its first service . shall keep you all updated with the information soon.

Thanks again

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 9th June 2012, 17:17   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
Yesterday I happen to take her out for a small ride and was amazed that the smothness.
Glad to hear that the scooter is performing well. Please get a new set of tyres of the scooter. Ceat Secura will be the best option. Shine them up with the good old Cherry Blossom shoe polish i.e. the wax one and NOT the liquid polish. It takes time but is worth the effort as the shine will last for months. I had polished my red scooter's tyres 1.5 years back and they still have the blackness in them. Check out my last post with the pictures.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.

Last edited by Scarlet_Rider : 9th June 2012 at 17:18.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 08:24   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Glad to hear that the scooter is performing well. Please get a new set of tyres of the scooter. Ceat Secura will be the best option. Shine them up with the good old Cherry Blossom shoe polish i.e. the wax one and NOT the liquid polish. It takes time but is worth the effort as the shine will last for months. I had polished my red scooter's tyres 1.5 years back and they still have the blackness in them. Check out my last post with the pictures.

Rahul Waghmare.

Hi Rahul Bhai

Thanks for the inputs .yes thats the only thing remaining to make the scoot look just out of showroom. will surely implement the same one of these days

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 7th July 2012, 08:27   #200
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I have just observed that my thread just completed one year. I would like to extend my thanks to everyone who had psted on this thread and encouraged me in the project from time to time.
Last but not the least most importanatly team bhp for provding me an opportunity for the same

Cheers and Thanks again.

Have loads of updates which will be posted soon

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
sushil_n79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 22:04   #201
BHPian

Sushil : I have a Bajaj 150 User Manual at home. Let me know in case you want to photocopy it. I can also send you high resolution pictures of all the pages. Do keep this thread active with all the updates on your scooter. Wishing you many happy (s)miles!

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 5th August 2012, 20:50   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Sushil : I have a Bajaj 150 User Manual at home. Let me know in case you want to photocopy it. I can also send you high resolution pictures of all the pages. Do keep this thread active with all the updates on your scooter. Wishing you many happy (s)miles!

Rahul Waghmare.
Hi Rahul,
Thanks for the invitation brother. I shall surely be obliged if you do the same . I guess its more difficult to maintain the scooter in its peak that to restore her and get her to that position. I sure do appreaciate your inputs in the same.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 5th August 2012, 22:23   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have just observed that my thread just completed one year. I would like to extend my thanks to everyone who had psted on this thread and encouraged me in the project from time to time.
Last but not the least most importanatly team bhp for provding me an opportunity for the same

Cheers and Thanks again.

Have loads of updates which will be posted soon

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Its also many months since the beauty is back on the roads. I have also spotted its pictures in a V & C display at Hyderabad. It stands out from the rest. Please keep it that way.
Happy rides!
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 20:23   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Its also many months since the beauty is back on the roads. I have also spotted its pictures in a V & C display at Hyderabad. It stands out from the rest. Please keep it that way.
Happy rides!
Hi Anjan Sir,
Thanks for the warm wishes and the compliments.yes I shall try my best to keep it the way it is.Like I had heard someone say on team bhp...restoration is a life long process. we always find things that we an improvise on. Just wanted to know what pictures have you spotted in Hyderabad and What is V & C ... Kindly enlighten me on the same please.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 21st August 2012, 23:09   #205
BHPian

Hi Sushil,

Congrats on your restoration.

Thanks to your restoration,let just say the temptation of getting back my dad's scooter (BAJAJ CHETAK) got re-ignited.

For almost 1 year i have been asking my dad for the where-abouts of his scooter. I finally had to come upon your thread to understand how badly i want that scooter, though i have a bike.

So finally after a lot of pleading and begging, finally my dad tracked down the person to whom he had sold the scooter in 1997. Unfortunately for me, that guy had sold the scooter to some other guy, who was involved in an accident. I don't know much about what exactly happened, all i know now is that the scooter is located at a police impound in Karjat with an accident case over it.

I am trying to get it back,but would need your help in understanding how do i go about it.

Lets just say that it was our family's pride and joy and i don't want it to just go!!!!. It served our family with utmost dedication just like the horse it was named after.

My queries are:-
1) Let's just say the case is a recent one and if the accident was not a major one. How do i go about in getting back my family's pride.

2) If the case is closed, as per my understanding, the cops usually auction of such vehicles and get whatever they can. Can i go and approach the cops in such instance and request them to handover the vehicle and i would clear the dues if any.

3) In case, i am able to get the vehicle back, would the case be a hinderance in getting the vehicle registered again,considering the vehicle would have a closed case over it and it would be almost 20+ years old vehicle.

Best regards,
Roshan

P.S.:- Please don't tell me to forget it,cause it's that scooter or no other scooter.
Old 28th August 2012, 21:12   #206
BHPian

Hi Roshan,
Well First of all Thanks for the compliment and welcome to the thread that has been really close to my heart. well your passion for the same is understandable as after restoration of the same when you ride it you will cherish all the nostalgic feelings of your past and will be really satisfying.

Dont worry I can understand the way you feel so I am not going to ask you to forget it or go for any other scooter.

I ll be answering your queries once I am back home in detail .Right now posting from office

Kudus to your passion

Cheers

Convey my regards to your father and family

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th September 2012 at 21:56. Reason: Deleting quoted post.
Old 2nd September 2012, 00:01   #207
BHPian

My queries are:-
1)Let's just say the case is a recent one and if the accident was not a major one. How do i go about in getting back my family's pride.
This is really the sadest part that the vehicle was involved in an accident and has case pending overit. There are many things hidden on this part which has to be resolved before you transfer the scooter in your name

.Please ensure that the scooter has a clear chit from the court before you transfer it to your name. If the vehicle did have at least a third party insurence when the accident occured then you may try and contact the RTO to find out if they were given a copy of the insurence.

IF you get the insurence details you can contact the insurance company with the policy number to see if there has been any application for accident or a claim. this will give you the idea of how severe or light the accident was.

Alternatively you can also visit the RTO office or the RTO website to get the details of the current owner.to know in whose name the scooter was when the accident occured as its very commin in india to purchase the vehicle but forget about the name transfer .

Hopefully that should not be the case but if that happens then you might get into trouble if the proof of sale is not found. Therefore please ensure that you have all the valid proofs of the sale of the vehicle preserved with your dad and even before contacting the police/Court onthe same. .or atleast a stamp paper to certify that on so n so date the scooter was sold to the person .

Also once the above is found you can try contacting the person who purchased the scooter from your dad to get the details of the person to whom he sold the scooter Once you have the required sale details of the scooter try enquiring from the police station about the Details of the case of the copy of FIR if possible.which will also give you the details of the case if its resolved or closed on account in unavailability of evidence and stuff like that .

2) If the case is closed, as per my understanding, the cops usually auction of such vehicles and get whatever they can.
If the case is resolved that means that the concerned persons filing the case might either have got the claim from the insurance company or might have gone for the compromise . iwhatever is the result you will need to have a proof of the same to ensure that the vehicle that you are intending to purchase is not having any accidnet charges against the same.

If the case was closed you will need to find out what was the reson for the closure of the same was it on account of absconding owner or lack of evidences or withdrawn . then you can speak about paying the price for the scooter as per its current value.

Can i go and approach the cops in such instance and request them to handover the vehicle and i would clear the dues if any.
Once you obtain theclear chit from the cops you only have to pay the cost of the scooter to get it from them thereby enduring that its transferred back to your name . I would suggest whatever dues are there for the scooter if the case was closed would have been written off as a bad debt if you offer to pay the fine for the crime that you did not do you are opening a box full of worms, which can backfire at you even in the future and can go against also in the case when the vehicles are auctioned the notice is given from the court about the same.

3) In case, i am able to get the vehicle back, would the case be a hinderance in getting the vehicle registered again,considering the vehicle would have a closed case over it and it would be almost 20+ years old vehicle.
Once you get a cleam chit for the vehicle and have transferred the same in your name you wil need to visit the RTO to get the same reregistered with a fitness certificate and a greentax pmve you have the required documents you can start the restoration of the same depending upon the curent state.you may think of seeking help from you family RTO agent on the same who willensure that ateast the registration process is hassle free and quick enough

Please let me know about any help that you may need on the restoration ,I will be able to guide you in totality.

Please don't tell me to forget it,cause it's that scooter or no other scooter.
Your passion and affection for the scooter is commendable and is resposible for taking you this far to get the details of the same.Trust me the feeling orf riding a fully restored scooter espeacially the one that you grew up with cannot be expressed in words .Those are nostalic feelings and pride moments which have to be experienced. All the best
for getting your scooter back brother I am sure you will be able to do it.

Thanks and Regards
Sushil Narayanan
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 18:56   #208
BHPian

Hi All

Good Day

It had been a really long time since I updated the thread with the details of the scooter.In fact had been really busy for a while at work and home , just realised about the same today when a close friend enquired about the progress , hence an update as of now

The scooter has completed 850Kms as of now and is currently hibernating under cover because of the rainy season.I have followed the procedure of storage of the scooter as mentioned in the owners manual. A big thanks to Rahul Waghmare for the same.

I want to take utmost care of it and prevent it from rust. In fact I got this idea from one of our team bhpian from mumbai who used to do this to their fiat1100D. I thought of applying the same to the scooter as well. Thanks to team bhp once again for creating a forum through which we share information which is useful for each other.

I will be attaching the close up images of the owners manual soon.

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 8th September 2012, 14:47   #209
BHPian

Thanks Sushil, for your reply.

Unfortunately, i have been exiled to dubai for due to office work. I will be back home in december for a month, only then can i start hunting for him in totallity.

Until then it's dreams of L221,that would keep me going.

Look forward to your tales of scooter ki sawari.

Regards,
Roshan

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th September 2012 at 07:45.
Old 14th September 2012, 17:48   #210
BHPian

Hi All
I am back with the owners manual as promised. Though not very clear but at least we can see how detailed the oweners manuals were in those days.

Presenting the bajaj 150 Owners manual
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0570.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0571.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0572.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0573.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0574.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0576.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0577.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0578.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0579.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0580.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0581.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0582.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0583.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0584.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0585.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0586.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0587.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0588.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0589.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0590.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0591.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0592.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0593.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0594.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0595.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0596.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0597.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0598.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0599.jpg  

Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks