Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 16th April 2018, 08:49   #301
BHPian

Default Re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind511 View Post
I will do that. Haven't dismantled the scooter yet. I am travelling on work for a couple of weeks. Will get back and search for any traces of old paint left.
This is how she looks after a basic service. All the cables and fluids have been changed and rusted fitments have been chromed.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-img20180407wa0061.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-img20180407wa0060.jpg  

aravind511 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 22:50   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind511 View Post
This is how she looks after a basic service. All the cables and fluids have been changed and rusted fitments have been chromed.

Your scooter is looking beautiful,in the earlier pictures it was looking as if it had a metallic paint job but now it looks original.
Samanyu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2018, 02:57   #303
BANNED

Default Re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Good Day Everyone

I have been away from this thread for a long time and have not been able to update you all on the current situation of my scooter. I completed the second service for the scooter around two months ago. And once again the scooter is back in its original form running without any troubles.I shall share the cost factor of the same in some time.

I tried the multi quote feature and i was bad at it and as I am unable to use the multi quote feature dont know why despite m efforts i just cannot get it right. I am using specific statements as a reference in answering the related queries. Request moderators to excuse me for the same.
Its time to wake this thread up. I picked up a 1978 model bajaj 150 today. I hope it's okay if I post it here in this thread rather than opening a new one.
I would like to thank you for reviving the thread and its something which was pending for a long time. COngratulations on the new acquisition of the bajaj 150 it looks nice.

Found this sticker partially peeled off inside the front fender on the RHS. Does this imply that the scooter is in its original paint? Expert opinion needed please.
If you look closely in the peeled area you can see the traces of parrot green colour on the lhs inside the gray part. though very light in colour but gives you an indication of the earlier colour.however as sumayu pointed out your scooter looks good after the basic service.

Also another place that you can see the original shade is inside the fork. you may have to remove the handle to remove the fork to see it you need to look at the side which is behind the horn where we fix the bearnings or the oart which is under the mudguard towards the inside.. Thats how my painter figured out the original shade. The shade that i was guessing while resoring my dad's scooter was a shade darker.but the painter was able to trace it just on time.
The pricol meter looks after market to me with black dial with red and yellow inserts and a red needle. But my mechanic claims it is original one. Will upload pics soo. But sadly no one seems to be interested much ��

I understand these days none of the mechanics seem to be interested in the olden scoters as it involves time and labour except a few old ones who still value the scooters of the past. Pricol meter with black dial that you have is the after market ones. The original one that came with the scooter was of Yenkay make with gray dial and white letters. you can check the images in the initial pages of this thread.

It will be great if I can find those stickers again. Do you have any pointers where these can be found?

I would request you to let me know what stickers are you referring to. Are you referring to the bajaj 150 sticker which is on the rhs near the handle lock.

Regards
Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 27th July 2018 at 03:28. Reason: editing for ease of reading
sushil_n79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 13:00   #304
BANNED

Hi Everyone

Today's update

I Dont understand why people are always in a hurry,I was crossing the road on the scooter when a moron on the bike came and hit at the right cowl...first dent after 7 years of restoration☹😡😭😭☹.luckily no paint got scrapped.

Feeling really bad.... I feel of late it's getting challenging to ride the two Wheelers like scooters on the road.

How I miss the old times when the roads were empty and people were sensible.

Apologies for the language but I did not have better way to describe the biker.

Will contact the denter n the painter but before that will share the pics shortly and request inputs.

Till then take care and drive safe.

Regards
Sushil Narayanan
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 18:26   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind511
Wow, what a beauty. Good work on the restoration.

We had the same scooter, but of 1972 vintage (GJI-3105). We used it till 1996 after which it was sold to a friend, who used it for a few years and then dumped it for scrap I think.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 13:17   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Wow, what a beauty. Good work on the restoration.

We had the same scooter, but of 1972 vintage (GJI-3105). We used it till 1996 after which it was sold to a friend, who used it for a few years and then dumped it for scrap I think.
That's great. This has been a great buy for me. It's my daily ride now. No hiccups whatsoever. Starts in 2 kicks even if it's kept idle for a couple of weeks. I really enjoy the slow pace it rides at.
aravind511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 13:26   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
Hi Everyone

Today's update

I Dont understand why people are always in a hurry,I was crossing the road on the scooter when a moron on the bike came and hit at the right cowl...first dent after 7 years of restoration☹😡😭😭☹.luckily no paint got scrapped.

Feeling really bad.... I feel of late it's getting challenging to ride the two Wheelers like scooters on the road.

How I miss the old times when the roads were empty and people were sensible.

Apologies for the language but I did not have better way to describe the biker.

Will contact the denter n the painter but before that will share the pics shortly and request inputs.

Till then take care and drive safe.

Regards
Sushil Narayanan
Thank you for the help Sir. I could not find traces of any other colour on the parts you mentioned. I was thinking about restoring it to factory specs, but have decided to use the scooter for the time being. It doesn't look like it needs a restoration now. It's running exceptionally well so that I don't want to mess things up by touching it now
aravind511 is offline   Reply With Quote