Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2011, 21:52   #106
BHPian

re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Exceptionally good finish and nice retro choice of colour.
Hyderabad is really blessed with the best craftsmen around.
The under belly of the tub has some paint chipped off. Do get the painter to cover up those surfaces..rust may catch up once again.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 00:19   #107
Senior - BHPian

re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
What a coincidence! I happened to see a Chetak with a similar tail lamp yesterday on my way to office. The spare tyre was fitted around the tail lamp. But the head lamp was the regular round one. Could not take pics as I was in the office cab and the scooter headed in a different direction.
Don't worry Rahul bhai the scooter you saw is a normal Cheatak with that tail lamp spare wheel fitting, it was later replicated by few scooterist because of it unique look and styling, the scooter which I was spoke about comes with the bajaj Super handle similar to the one which you have now.

Rahul bhaiyya If I have to give you exact idea then it would be like this.. replace your small tires to the cheatak ones along with the cheatak front mud gaurd and then have this spare wheel and tail lamp fitting, have those round indicators which came on initial cheatak, super on handle bar and domes that is how this special model used to be with electronic power system.

@ priyadarshan I am as well surprised to see this unique looking handle, I am not sure if bajaj has exported few models as Cheatak deluxe but I haven't seen any of these in my entire 33 yrs of life but nothing is seems to be special compared to our cheatak except the speedometer, the suspension remains the same as our scooters rather like LML ones. bajaj could also catered this model to fellow countrymen also. I would love to have that special electronic model with the spare wheel fitment in case anyone comes across.
Old 9th September 2011, 10:22   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
Hi All

The moment of truth has finally arrived. I visited my painter today and saw the scooter its come out really well. Without wasting further time I ll upload some pictures for you all right from when the paint was applied and it was wet.
Attachment 606624

Attachment 606625

Attachment 606626

Attachment 606627

Attachment 606628

Attachment 606629

Its surprising to know that the wet paint looks a different shade and after the same dries the paint looks like as below.

Attachment 606630

Attachment 606631

Attachment 606632

Attachment 606633

Attachment 606634

Attachment 606635

Attachment 606636

Attachment 606637

Attachment 606638

Attachment 606639

However the gloss that we see here is without the polish. my painter says after the fitting is over he will polish it completely before it is ready for use.Hope you enjoyed the pictures .
Request inputs from the experts

PS. I just noticed that my thread has crossed the 100 posts mark

Thanks again for the valuable suggestions.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Wow.. the colour has come out really well. It looks nice even without polish. and quite period too.. Eager to see the assembly.

"These trapazoid headlight Bajaj chetaks are available dime a dozen in Mallepally area.They can be pickep up at a value ranging from Rs.1000 to Rs.3000.One mechanic has 10 of them and doesnt know what to do...no takers."

Ram sir, any chance of one of those chetaks being 1978 or earlier?

Priyadarshan

Last edited by priyadarshan.b : 9th September 2011 at 10:28. Reason: Added some text
Old 9th September 2011, 12:27   #109
Senior - BHPian

Sushil,

I have been visiting your thread regularly, but never posted. After seeing the paint, I must say awesome. The way you are on to restoration, tear down way is just the stuff that is desired. for that. Color is subject to personal taste, once done may be black seats and black rubber will complement it better.
Old 9th September 2011, 12:39   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Exceptionally good finish and nice retro choice of colour.
Hyderabad is really blessed with the best craftsmen around.
The under belly of the tub has some paint chipped off. Do get the painter to cover up those surfaces..rust may catch up once again.
Hi jeeva

Thanks for the compliment and for the suggestion regardng the underbody,Yes i will get the same rectified one the fitting is through and when visiting the painter for getting the polish done.

Thanks again

regards

Sushil Narayanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Wow.. the colour has come out really well. It looks nice even without polish. and quite period too.. Eager to see the assembly.
Priyadarshan
HI Priyadarshan

Thanks for the compliment brother. yes you will see the details of the reassembling of the same just like how you saw at the begining of the thread. how is your preparation for restoration of your scooter going on?

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Sushil,

I have been visiting your thread regularly, but never posted. After seeing the paint, I must say awesome. The way you are on to restoration, tear down way is just the stuff that is desired. for that. Color is subject to personal taste, once done may be black seats and black rubber will complement it better.
Hi Manish bhai
Thanks for visiting the thread so freaquently, its an honour for me. As far as the colour is concerned did not think much as had decided to get it done in the original shade when it was purchased. This used to be a very popular shade in the year 1974.

once done it will be black seats and black rubber to complement it better.

Thanks for the suggestion , I am glad that we are in the same page regarding this.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by karlosdeville : 9th September 2011 at 13:56. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 9th September 2011, 14:42   #111
BHPian

Quote:

HI Priyadarshan

Thanks for the compliment brother. yes you will see the details of the reassembling of the same just like how you saw at the begining of the thread. how is your preparation for restoration of your scooter going on?

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Hi,

Unfortunately no progress on restoration process. Little tight on budget and time at this moment. So i am just keeping myself occupied with collecting spares for my scoots for the time being. All of my three scoots are in good condition and most of the stuff running so it wont be a very detailed restoration. May be a fresh coat of paint and some mechanicals will do.. All the best with your remaining work..

Priyadarshan
Old 10th September 2011, 08:13   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Unfortunately no progress on restoration process. Little tight on budget and time at this moment. So i am just keeping myself occupied with collecting spares for my scoots for the time being. All of my three scoots are in good condition and most of the stuff running so it wont be a very detailed restoration. May be a fresh coat of paint and some mechanicals will do.. All the best with your remaining work..

Priyadarshan
Hi Priyadarshan.

Good that you are getting prepared for the restoration job thoroughly, appreciate it indeed. Good to know that your scooters are in good condition. Not to contradict what you are saying but when you start the restoration hope the mechanic also feels the same.For example my father's scooter was also in decent condition before I started the restoration its only after I started off that I came to know that there was trouble lying ahead and decided to do a thorough job as once restored I need not look at it for a long time. So do not worry if you are not able to restore her immediately as I know if does take time for things to materialize. In fact you will not believe I was planning for this restoration for the last 2 years but it got materialized only now. hope it gets completed as expected. So whenever you start ensure that you leave no stones unturned. Like what Anjan sir says and I quote"restoration of a classic is a life long process. we always have somethings to improve on " All the best brother. This is something I learnt from my close friend who is also a mechanic in Bhopal "Jaldee ka kaam shaitaan a kaam hota hain"

Thanks for the best wishes for the remaining work , I need everyones best wishes now more than ever and moving towards the completion of the project.

regards

Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 10th September 2011 at 08:18.
Old 11th September 2011, 00:02   #113
BHPian

[quote=sushil_n79;2432656]

Her Pictures at the painters place waiting to be reborn....

..........She is back to where she started from after rebirth (back to the mechanic's place)

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-276.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-278.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-279.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-280.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-282.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-283.jpg

The re-assembling will start next week.my mechanic is waiting
to complete the small service jobs of the pending customer before he fully gets on the assembling part he says want to give it undivided attention.

Hopefully she should be completed by next week. as of now enjoy the pictures. will post some more once the re-assembling starts.till then...

Take Care and Keep Smiling always.

Sushil Narayanan
Old 11th September 2011, 10:56   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

..........She is back to where she started from after rebirth (back to the mechanic's place)

Great to see the paintwork done at last! Looking good.

Sorry if this has been asked before btw, but what paint have you used?
Also sushil, are you painting the drums silver? Didnt these come in the body colour even on the bajaj 150s?

Last edited by Stanher : 11th September 2011 at 10:58.
Old 11th September 2011, 11:26   #115
BHPian

[quote=Stanher;2501475]Great to see the paintwork done at last! Looking good.

Hi brother,
Thanks for the compliments, appreciate your inputs indeed.

Sorry if this has been asked before btw, but what paint have you used?
I have used the Nexa 2K paint, available in india through Asian Paints.

Also sushil, are you painting the drums silver? Didnt these come in the body colour even on the bajaj 150s?
I am quoting the response given by Anjan Sir here"
The brake drum cover was body coloured Sushil. There was no zinc plated component visible outside on the front wheel.Even the lower front brake lever, on the wheel drum was body coloured, which I can correctly remember. Perhaps the brake drum cover was galvanised with zinc and the body colour was applied over this.I am saying this because in older scooters scratches revealed the galvanised/ zinc coated drum cover"

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. No idea why the painter did like it. perhaps for it to be visible in case wheels are changed at night ...will try to get it rectified.

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 11th September 2011, 13:43   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have used the Nexa 2K paint, available in india through Asian Paints.
Good!
You find many people advising you to still go for the horrid ASPA cr@p!

Quote:
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. No idea why the painter did like it. perhaps for it to be visible in case wheels are changed at night ...will try to get it rectified.
Actually I'm not surprised- Hyderabadi painteraan have of late strangely taken a liking to silver paint on the rims of every vehicle- scooters as well as cars! You find even Chetaks with it, even Heralds (the few that are left) and Ambys too!!

In fact, the only cars that originally came with silver rims were fiats and none among scooters AFAIK!
Old 11th September 2011, 17:07   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi..
I have a question for all the experts here. I have come across two features of Chetak as shown in the below picture, namely, trapezoidal headlamp & tail lamp with a bracket. But i have not across any scooter which has both of them together. Can anybody throw some light on this? Did chetak ever came with both the features together? If yes, what would be the probably period of manufacture?
Priyadarshan
Priyadarshan, though I do not consider myself an expert, but as far as my memory goes, the combination you have asked for, I believe never came in any Indian (meant for export too) Bajaj Chetak.The first Chetak ever I saw was in early 1975 (one of the first ever) - a tomato red one, that Bajaj Auto had presented its local dealer with.Its stepney was located within its rear left side body cover, that was the storage space in the Super and the later Chetaks.This was much like the LML Vespas.The body was tomato red and the wheel discs silver coloured.The fit and finish was awesome.The taillight was like the export quality Chetaks and not like the one you have queried.It had a single long seat and not the 2 seat configuration as in the Indian market.Thereafter, in 1977, 78 and later ,the TIME magazine featured Chetak advertisements regularly and I have posted some of these on the advertisement thread. The whole shape is no different.But I do not have any news of how the Chetaks were between 1975 till 1977 and the benefit of doubt about the trapezoidal headlamp and the tail lamp bracket coming together, as you spoke of is always there.And after 1979 or so the Chetak was for all of us to see here in the Indian market.

Quote:

Attachment 607538

Attachment 607540

Attachment 607541

Attachment 607542

Attachment 607544

Attachment 607545

to complete the small service jobs of the pending customer before he fully gets on the assembling part he says want to give it undivided attention.

Hopefully she should be completed by next week. as of now enjoy the pictures. will post some more once the re-assembling starts.till then...

Take Care and Keep Smiling always.

Sushil Narayanan
Sushil congratulations the final jobs are getting over. The scooter will soon stand on its wheels and will be ready for your use. Do keep us posted.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 11th September 2011 at 17:11.
Old 11th September 2011, 19:51   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Sushil congratulations the final jobs are getting over. The scooter will soon stand on its wheels and will be ready for your use. Do keep us posted.
Hi Anjan sir,
Good evening
Its a pleasure seeing your post. thanks for the wishes regarding the same.
My painter ended up painting the front drum in silver colour. Should I ask him to change it to body colour or leave it the way it is?

The scooter will soon stand on its wheels and will be ready for your use. In-fact my mechanic said will call me when he starts reassembling so that I can take the pictures. Will surely keep you all posted.

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 11th September 2011, 20:29   #119
BHPian

Hey Sushil
It seems quite late to respond but better late than never.
Few possessions become part of our growing and an inseparable part of it.
Its a very heart touchy restoration, you made me nostalgic and miss my dad's Bajaj.
Anyways will follow yours
Wish you all the very best in the whole process!
Honda Monk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 22:26   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Anjan sir,
Good evening
Its a pleasure seeing your post. thanks for the wishes regarding the same.
My painter ended up painting the front drum in silver colour. Should I ask him to change it to body colour or leave it the way it is?

The scooter will soon stand on its wheels and will be ready for your use. In-fact my mechanic said will call me when he starts reassembling so that I can take the pictures. Will surely keep you all posted.

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Hi Sushil, believe since you have taken immense care and interest in restoring your scooter, its better to get the painting done in the original paint scheme- body coloured drums and wheel discs.May it will be a bit taxing, but will be worth it simply for the original looks.Cheers and Best wishes!
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks