Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 11:18   #1
BHPian

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

An Appeal to All
This thread is not only a medium for me to present to you all the details of the restoration project but also to tell my story and experiences with the bajaj150.As its an emotional moment for me to revisit the nostalgic past ,in the memory of my dear father Late Shri S.Narayanan , hence its a personal request from me to all, that since this thread is very special to me, please refrain from any comments of personal nature as it is just not a story but my experiences that I will be sharing with you. However any inputs and information shared, which is helpful in my project will be appreciated.
Last, but not the least I take this opportunity to extend my Heartfelt thanks to team bhp for creating a medium for us to share our stories.

My Dearest bajaj150
Her journey through the years from being called MPD to MP04.

This story dates back to the time when my father Late Shri S.Narayanan was working in BHEL Bhopal and was married in the year 1965. In those days the life was tough for him being the eldest son of the family, but still he had the kind of vision to look at things beyond the present . As the delivery of a new scooter was on allotment basis in those days, and the waiting period in Bhopal was around 6 to 8 years, My dad booked our new scooter the bajaj150 and while waiting for it acquired a vespa150 in 1969 from his colleague one Mr Mehta at Bhopal for Rs4500/-(Rs Four thousand five hundred only) which used to be a big amount in those days considering the fact that even the costliest area in Bhopal where the Rich and affluent people stayed a 60:40 plot was available for mere Rs 15000/- so you can make out its value in todays currency.

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-vespa-old.jpg
Later he discovered from his mechanic that the previous owner of that vespa 150 had done some work in the engine which was not revealed and was a worrying factor in those days as owning a scooter was not a common sight in those days as the majority of people used to travel by bicycle and to add to it getting a vehicle which has incurred some work in the past was a definite NO. So when my father reconfirmed the same with his friend , he reassured him that even if he sells the vespa in the as-is condition it will fetch more value than what he had acquired it for.
This was so true because in the year 1974 my father sold the Vespa 150 for Rs 4500/-.when he was allotted the brand new bajaj150 for Rs3500/- /-(Rs Three thousand five hundred only).

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-bajaj150.jpg

Although the above picture was very old and in black & white but I was told that the new bajaj150 was bright and shiny with lots of chrome in it especially the classic mirror.(as told to me by my mother). I guess the original shade was Sandy brown, something like thisRestoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-bajaj150-original-shade.jpg .
My Affair with her started in the year 1982 when I was barely 3 or 4 years old. I remember each morning before going to work my father would give me a small ride in it. There were day when as a Kid I used to be there before my father and summon him by standing on the kick and pressing the horn button with my little fingers, which used to make the horn sound a little, while the vehicle was parked on the stand.
This vehicle proved to be and is still a very lucky mascot for out family as there were instances when my parents especially my father was saved by near fatal accident and came out unscratched. From that day onwards she became a part of our family was the first vehicle for my father, my brother in law, my elder brother and for me till we had other additions to our fleet.

Past Restorations

Apart from the Fiat 1100d the bajaj150 was the daily workhorse till 1990. At that time my father felt that it was time to give her a fresh coat of paint and a new set of piston and rings. He got it done in Bhopal and gave her a new lease of life. I remember asking my father one day if this oldie could be fast, to my surprise I got to know that when she was new she used to easily touch the 100kmph mark and now with the new set of pistons it could touch 95kmph easily but he forbid doing it too often as he felt that it was not good for the engine to be pushed too hard.
I remember that during that time as my elder brother is in a transferable job he was posted at Indore(M.P), which is about 180 kms from Bhopal and since he needed a two wheeler there , my father advised him to use take the bajaj150 in Indore. So he along with my cousin brother Ramesh drove it to Indore and was being used there for three years till my brother was transferred. Later it was bought back to Bhopal as my father again felt the need for it while restoring the Fiat 1100d .
In the year 1995 when my brother was posted back in Bhopal the bajaj150 again became the daily workhorse. In the year 1996 I learnt to ride the scooter from my brother and became proficient in it. Then in the year 1999 it had to undergo engine overhaul because of a broken counter gear which was repaired by my trusted friend and mechanic jaabeer ali. In the year 2002 when I started working and went to Mumbai my dad gave her one coat of paint without dismantling the same. I shall remain thankful to the same friend for undertaking the project in my absence and ensuring that it was delivered to father on time. Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00517.jpgRestoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00518.jpg

When I came to hyd in 2004 my father advised me to get the scooter along with me as it will be helpful for me and by then we already had 2 cars and 2 wheelers including the bajaj150. I will always be thankful to him for this kind gesture. In the year 2007 after losing my father it was really tough for me and I took almost 3 years to get on with life.
So now its my fathers scooter that I am planning to restore to prestine condition and my mother is helping me on this to let me know how our dear bajaj150 looked when it was new.
Therefore with all these memories in mind I have started this restoration project with help from my dear friend bala who is a part of HCSC(Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club). I will stop writing now and let the pictures do the talking.[ATTACH]Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-img_1118.jpg[/ATTACH]

Current Plan overview:
Dismantling each part , Complete denting, flooring, wiring, paint in 2K colour, reassembling and fitting.
Estimated time : approx 1 month.
I will be keeping you all updated on the weekly progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-img_1114.jpg  

Last edited by navin : 10th December 2018 at 14:18. Reason: typo
sushil_n79 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 12:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

best of luck with the restoration of the Little Bajaj. Go with original colors if possible please dont go bling colors.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Wow !!! Nice thread. We had a 1972 Bajaj 150 - got through allotment at Gujarat for Rs3000. We retained it till 1995 when we sold it at Kerala for 5000 (talk about resale value).

During 1992-94, I used to ride it at Chennai and while reliability was not too much of an issue, FE definitely was. It gave a pathetic 18kmpl - remember this was when HH was advertising 80kmpl or so. We then did engine reboring etc which brought up the FE to 30kmpl - I remember being so estatic about the rise in FE.

Last I heard, the 2nd owner junked the scooter after using it for a few years.

One of the few snaps of the scooter
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-bajaj150.jpg

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 5th July 2011 at 13:07.
supremeBaleno is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 13:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Sushil..Im glad to see you start the restoration of your scooter.Good Luck.
hillram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 13:56   #5
BHPian

Good luck with the restoration. You are lucky to still have the scooter with you know and you can restore. Thats not my case.

We had a 1983 Bajaj Chetak at home, blue in colour. Got allotted at Kozhikode, was transported by train to Cochin. Used to ride it initially standing in the front and later moving to the back seat. When I joined engineering college, this was the only 2 wheeler available at home and so took it to college every day, until I bought a Yamaha 135. I too had my name written on the same spot in blood red colour, as you have your name. I also had a small drop of paint that was made to look like blood under the name. After the Yamaha came in the scooter was given to a cousin, who then sold it later to some one else. If I had it with me now, sure would have attempted a restore. Now waiting for the right moment to start the restore (partly) of the Yamaha instead, been waiting for a while now. Hope to get it done soon.

All the best with the effort.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 5th July 2011 at 13:58.
basilmabraham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 14:25   #6
BHPian

Sushil, that was a heartening background of the Bajaj.
The old "hamara bajaj" ad still brings back old memories of those days. Good luck with the restoration.
jeeva is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 16:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
best of luck with the restoration of the Little Bajaj. Go with original colors if possible please dont go bling colors.
Hi Desideep,

thanks for the best wishes. I am sure with all those wellwishers wishing me luck the project should come out well.

request you to please explain what is bling colour .

I have plans to restore it in the original shade sandy brown in 2k which should give it the period looks.

Thanks for the inputs.

Take care and keep smiling always

Sushil Narayanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Wow !!! Nice thread. We had a 1972 Bajaj 150 - got through allotment at Gujarat for Rs3000. We retained it till 1995 when we sold it at Kerala for 5000 (talk about resale value).

During 1992-94, I used to ride it at Chennai and while reliability was not too much of an issue, FE definitely was. It gave a pathetic 18kmpl - remember this was when HH was advertising 80kmpl or so. We then did engine reboring etc which brought up the FE to 30kmpl - I remember being so estatic about the rise in FE.

Last I heard, the 2nd owner junked the scooter after using it for a few years.

One of the few snaps of the scooter
Attachment 572584
Hi Mate,

Thanks for sharing your story with me. Its indeed an inspiration for me. even I had mileage problems initially which was corrected later on. the max that my fathers bajaj 150 ever gave was 50kmpl on a highway..this was less than 2 years ago. of course after getting the bike this is used only as a weekend drive but still an amazing feeling to ride a 3 geared vehicle.

its sad to know that the 2nd owner had junked it ...nice picture you have in there reminds me of our BHEL colony in bhopal... I hope that u are able to find a bajaj 150 for yourself sometime in the future.

all the best for the yamaha restoration.

take care and keep smiling always

regards

Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2011 at 11:11. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 5th July 2011, 17:47   #8
BHPian

God bless and good luck with your restoration which is not only a labour of love but a worthy tribute to your late father who I am sure must be smiling wherever he is.
Respect your family values and appreciate your sentiments.
All the very best in life.
Old 5th July 2011, 19:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987 View Post
God bless and good luck with your restoration which is not only a labour of love but a worthy tribute to your late father who I am sure must be smiling wherever he is.
Hi there
Thanks for your blessings and best wishes . yes I only wish he would have been here to assist me in this project but like you said I am sure he must be really happy seeing me take this up,
Thanks for the appreciation. I am sure each one of us has it hidden somewhere underneath. really appreciate your post... when ever I encounter any difficulties in this project I am sure to read your post and get pepped up again.

Take care and keep smiling always

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 8th July 2011, 01:35   #10
BHPian

Hey Buddy,

Glad to see you finally restoring your Bajaj 150! It was long due! Wishing you all the best with the restoration and keep this thread updated. Do post the details of the colour that you have in mind.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Scarlet_Rider is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 02:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Hey Buddy,

Glad to see you finally restoring your Bajaj 150! It was long due! Wishing you all the best with the restoration and keep this thread updated. Do post the details of the colour that you have in mind.

Rahul Waghmare.
Yes! it's a long due project finally coming to an action "better late than never" all these while it was like my signature . Susheel apart from being a HCSC is a friend to me, we worked together and he used to come to me to find out what is to be done, where, how much etc etc I am happy for the scooter that the Right decision is taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987 View Post
Personally I am glad that I am doing his prized possession also because it not only has a sentimental value and a special place in Susheel's heart apart from this I might also get some blessings from his dad doing his ride.
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 16:28   #12
BHPian

Hey Buddy,

Rahul Waghmare.

hey Rahul

Thanks for the wishes brother Yes indeed it was long due I am planning to go with the original shade sandy brown , you can see how it looks in the details I shall keep everyone posted as and when the updates happen,.

Yes! it's a long due project finally coming to an action "better late than never" all these while it was like my signature . Sushil apart from being a HCSC is a friend to me, we worked together and he used to come to me to find out what is to be done, where, how much etc etc I am happy for the scooter that the Right decision is taken.

Hey Bala
Yes you are right i just happen to catch the running train.... jokes apart.... I am glad that the process has finally started and I am sure with you being in there she will look exactly the way she was, when she was young....

Personally I am glad that I am doing his prized possession also because it not only has a sentimental value and a special place in Sushil's heart apart from this I might also get some blessings from his dad doing his ride.

Yes you are right Bala, I am really glad that I am seeking guidance from you in this project and Yes she is really special to me.... in fact looking at my passion , my wife believes that the bajaj150 is my first wife and she is happy with it...moreover this vehicle is so special for our family that not only my father, but also my mother will be blessing you with all the good things in life. infact she already is asking me to convey her blessings to you as I am typing this.

Thanks again for the wishes guys.

Take care and keep smiling always.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 8th July 2011 at 16:33. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 8th July 2011, 22:54   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Sushil, nice to read that you are restoring your Bajaj 150.The best part of it is that your family has owned the scooter since 1974.I am sure you will get most spares in good supply at Hyderabad. For the 1974 kind of looks,it will not need much of efforts as there were minimal changes all through it model life. Chrome mirrors will be a good ornamentation. The original tail light will also be needed.The speedo was the same (light grey and blue combo dial) till the Super came along.
Please keep on posting the pictures. Wishing you all the best for the project!
Old 8th July 2011, 23:22   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see your passion towards your family scoot, sushil!

Nobody in my family owned a 2-wheeler before myself but for those that have had one in their family since generations, its a saga by itself I guess!

Try for the original bajaj 150 tail-lamp (see pic.), actually the base on these was black plastic instead of the aluminium ones of the Vespa although the shape was the same.

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-baj150.jpg

Or, alternatively, can take a Vespa tail-lamp and paint it matt black!

PS: Just curious- why the MH scooters logo (which came on the priya)?

I reckon the 150 had the same logo as the old Chetaks/Supers?
Old 9th July 2011, 00:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow nice scooter shyam, I love the body line, low in the rear, where was this, banglore?. I guess the mechanic might have been confused with priya monogram with bajaj but now it's not going to be repeated..Bala is there I am also eyeing on one scooter in my locality and hope will get her, there are couple of square handle cheatak I want to own but there is a lot of luck factor involved in this so waiting for my angels to fly above me.

Last edited by chanu : 9th July 2011 at 00:21.

Most Viewed