Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2011, 13:41   #61
BHPian

re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Sushil : You can try hunting for this tail lamp at some shops in King Koti and near Ek Minar Masjid (Nampally). Check out the discussion on pages 16, 17 and 18 of the HCSC thread for the names of these shops. All the best in your hunt!

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 10th August 2011, 16:18   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
Need help to get this tail lamp assembly in hyd attached image below for reference..Someone please help me Ram bhai, Bala, Rahul and everyone else please help me in getting the same
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Sushil : You can try hunting for this tail lamp at some shops in King Koti and near Ek Minar Masjid (Nampally).
Or Scooter Palace @ Ramkoti. They do had one sitting in their display case which was not for sale I think. But they did have other pieces too, I once got one for a friend from there.
Old 11th August 2011, 15:22   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Scooter Palace @ Ramkoti.
This shop is also one of the few shops that still stocks parts for scooters. (Also mentioned in the discussion on pages 16, 17 and 18 of the HCSC thread.) The owner said that he may have a handle bar with the rectangular head light for the Bajaj Super in his godown. This is what I am hunting for!!
Old 11th August 2011, 23:19   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This shop is also one of the few shops that still stocks parts for scooters. (Also mentioned in the discussion on pages 16, 17 and 18 of the HCSC thread.) The owner said that he may have a handle bar with the rectangular head light for the Bajaj Super in his godown. This is what I am hunting for!!
Rahul if in case he refuses/don't find collect it from me I have one with me which I kept it for a another project.
Old 12th August 2011, 09:51   #65
BHPian

Hey guys..

This is a bit off topic, but since you have mentioned a handle bar with rectangular headlight, i could not stop myself from asking this. What was the last year Bajaj Super came with a rectangular head light? Same question goes for Bajaj Chetak as well. I ask this because i am looking for a Chetak with rectangular headlamp..

Priyadarshan
Old 12th August 2011, 13:50   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Rahul if in case he refuses/don't find collect it from me I have one with me which I kept it for a another project.
Thanks for the kind gesture Bala!! Let me see if I can hunt one first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
What was the last year Bajaj Super came with a rectangular head light? Same question goes for Bajaj Chetak as well.
My Bajaj Super is a 1982 model having a rectangular head light. I don't recollect seeing any Chetaks with one as well. I think it was available only for a few years in the early 1980s but I'm not an expert!!

Experts comment!! The focus of the rectangular head light was very bad, hence I had changed to a circular one when I had repainted my scooter in 2004. The big mistake that I did was to exchange the handles rather than keeping the rectangular one and buying a circular one. Hence I am hunting for one now.

Rahul Waghmare.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 14:05   #67
BHPian

Quote:

My Bajaj Super is a 1982 model having a rectangular head light. I don't recollect seeing any Chetaks with one as well. I think it was available only for a few years in the early 1980s but I'm not an expert!!

Experts comment!! The focus of the rectangular head light was very bad, hence I had changed to a circular one when I had repainted my scooter in 2004. The big mistake that I did was to exchange the handles rather than keeping the rectangular one and buying a circular one. Hence I am hunting for one now.

Rahul Waghmare.

Thanks rahul. I too remember to have seen Bajaj Supers with rectangular headlamps from year 1982. A friend of mine has an early 1983 bajaj super which came with round lamp. So we can say that 1982 was the last year for bajaj super.
But i am not sure about Chetak. We have one chetak advertisement from 1978 in another thread which shows chetak with rectangular lamp. As you said many people converted to round headlamps due to poor focus. But now its not the criteria for me so i am looking for an original chetak which has a rectangular lamp or atleast which had a rectangular lamp originally.

Priyadarshan
priyadarshan.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 17:41   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Rahul Waghmare.
AFAK 70's cheatak were the ones to sport those trapezoid then it came to super. I know two scooter which I am in pursuit to get but none of them are interested in selling though they are not using them, they both are 70's, what I like in them apart from the handle is the spare wheel bracket, which is quite impossible to see now. Abroad the similar scooter has got LML type front suspension setup, another rare model is the one below in the pictures (blue and white combo) which has got super handle on cheatak kind 4 gears, ignition switch was on the handle and round indicators on handle and side domes, two square reflectors on the front mud gaurd, tail lamp and spare wheel were on the rear where the number plate is fixed it was the first Electronic scooter which used was sold as a premium scooter in those days (told by one of the uncle who use to own one he was an NRI and brought himself this expensive scooter and used to get it done up where dads used to do his 1964 vespa) I still remember this scooter was in light sand color, and used to have a whistling sound when raised. I love early electronic models for their engine note.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-bajaj087.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-square-handle.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-vp1895179_1.jpg  

Old 19th August 2011, 11:11   #69
BHPian

Hi everyone,

The current progress on the restoration project is that the scoot has left my denters place and landed with the painter he says that the body will e prepared for painting by this saturday and painting will be done hopefully by 25th of August 2011, This ensures that the scooter is ready by eid i.e sep 2nd as per my painter , keeping fingers crossed

@bala ....what is the progress on the bangalore scooter restoration please keep the thread updated

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 24th August 2011, 02:57   #70
BHPian

Hi All

Sorry for the delay in posting updates as my system at home conked off had to rebuild it completely over the weekend . Now coming to the point The Updates on the scooter as of now:

I had been to the shop elcids in old city as per the advise on page 14,15 and 16 of the HCSC thread to get the tail lamp assembly, but since it was not available off the shelf gave advance for it. he is quoting Rs 1200/- for it Ram bhai please suggest if its reasonable. as the shopkeeper claims that he is giving at a reasonable cost because I referred your name.

Apart from that like I mentioned in the previous post the denting work is completed which includes making the body rust free by changing the rusted parts, and the body is now with the painter getting prepared for the complete putty work and rubbing process before the paint job starts. (enclosing pictures)

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-185.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-186.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-187.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-188.jpg

The denter giving final touches to ensure she gets a perfect shape

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-189.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-190.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-191.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-192.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-193.jpg

More Pictures follows
Old 24th August 2011, 03:05   #71
BHPian

More Pictures follows[/quote]

Preparation of the body started for rubbing

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-195.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-196.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-197.jpg

More pictures yet to come

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 24th August 2011 at 03:13. Reason: correction
Old 24th August 2011, 09:37   #72
BHPian

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-194.1.jpg

some more to come ..
Old 24th August 2011, 09:43   #73
BHPian

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-198.0.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-199.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-200.jpg

Will monitor the progress again this weekend

Experts comment on the progress

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 25th August 2011, 12:42   #74
BHPian

Nice work going on there! Only thing scary is the monsoon season. The sun keeps playing hide and seek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
I had been to the shop elcids in old city
Elcids is very much a part of the new city! Looks like you haven't been to the real old city yet! Anyway keep the thread updated regularly.

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 27th August 2011, 19:12   #75
BHPian

Hi Everyone

I am back with the updates, rains has been creating havoc on the restoration process but my painter is going real slow and careful except for a stupidity which I will disclose later. for now i was able to get the Tail lamp assembly at Elcids in New Hyderabad
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-201.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-202.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-203.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-204.jpg

Heartfelt Thanks to all the friends especially Rahul ,Shyam,Ram and all others for their valuable inputs on the thread and of course the HCSC thread.

Now for the updates on the body front as had visited my painter after a week, was disappointed to know that because of the rains not much of the work has been done except applying putty and letting it dry.The Rubbing of the same will start this week hopefully should be completed by next week project getting delayed because of the rains. .

a few pictures for your reference

putty has been applied now body is ready to be rubbed with sand paper to get that smooth finish

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-205.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-206.jpg

This was my painters stupidity had left the body to dry after applying asthar(some form of preotection) in the sun and in the wet grass
seen traces of rust on the new floor board though my painter says it will go once its rubbed with sand paper. will do it and let me know next week. experts please suggest if this is possible ?

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-207.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-208.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-209.jpg

was really upset with my painter but again cannot help it much as climate is playing smart games hopefully the project comes out as anticipated.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 27th August 2011 at 19:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks