Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2011, 19:37   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune

I've just returned from a great drive we had today - fellow Beetlenuts from Bombay and Pune gathered at Volkswagen's Chakan facility for a plant visit.

8 cars left Bombay this morning, though only 7 reached the venue by afternoon. 4 of us from Pune reached much earlier, naturally.

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-01.jpg
Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-02.jpg

My 1956 Beetle was oldest, the newest cars must have been around 1972. TBHP was represented by the Shirkes (randomusername), Amit (blueoyster?) and myself. Kasli couldn't make it, but his lovely blue ragtop was there. The rain was a bit of a spoiler, but barring one car there were no problems. The Bombay boys are still on their way home.

Enjoy the pictures.

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-03.jpg

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-04.jpg

This orange car has had many performance mods, and has only recently come on road. The red cabrio is an original car, and the only cabrio at the event.

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-05.jpg

This was the longest drive I have taken my Beetle for (around 50 kms one way), and she fortunately behaved well. I had some teething trouble that I only recently sorted.

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-06.jpg

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-07.jpg

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-08.jpg

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-09.jpg

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-10.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 27th August 2011 at 19:45.
karlosdeville is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 19:42   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune

My second and last set of pictures. Incessant rains meant I couldn't get as many pictures as I'd liked.

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-11.jpg

The dark blue 63 Bug is a special car - the current owner bought the car a few years back from the first owner - an erstwhile Police commissioner of Goa, who had purchased the car new in Portugal, and DROVE the car to Goa back in the day! She is in fine fettle.

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-12.jpg

This bright green car simply cannot be missed when on the road! In regular use, she too originally came from Goa. Like many cars at the event.

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-13.jpg

This 69/70 orange Bug belonged at some point to Sippy - and can be seen in the original 'Khatta Meetha' movie, in dark green colour.

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-14.jpg

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-15.jpg

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-16.jpg

Annirudh's car was looking top notch, missed getting shots of the very cool interiors. And he will be pleased to know the ragtop didn't leak

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-17.jpg

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-18.jpg

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-19.jpg

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-20.jpg

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-21.jpg

Beetle Club drive to Volkswagen plant, Pune-22.jpg

A special thank you to the good guys at BSMotoring who made the drive happen. Do catch their next issue for coverage of the event.

Also a special thank you to the good guys at Dupont who specially made great quality custom car covers for us.

And of course, Volkswagen India for being gracious hosts, and MD Dr. Chako for spending time with us.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 27th August 2011 at 19:53.
karlosdeville is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 22:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

DROOLING PICS man. The rain adds that romantic touch to these SEXY beauties. The colorful hues by all cars is like rainbow of colors. If I was ever jealous of someone than its you today.

Ironically I was also in Pune today? Well not exactly in Pune but just at the outskirts of the city for some Industrial survey. Alas didn't catch any BUG on expressway too while returning.
I'm BUGGED :(

Which of these Bugs belongs to Mr. Shirke (randonusername)?

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 27th August 2011 at 22:58.
Old 28th August 2011, 09:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Superb pics and a great lineup of the Bugs. VW's plant seems to have a nice scenic background.
Was wondering apart from your Bug all other are having wipers. so this means you drove all the way without them or have you kept it inside after they fell off (true fiat style) That 3059 reg. Bug looks totally period.

Last edited by samsag12 : 28th August 2011 at 09:19.
Old 28th August 2011, 16:49   #5
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Must have been a fun event. Karl without the wipers it must have been difficult.

Another unique thing was that no two cars had the same colour. No white Bug surprisingly.

Cheers
Old 28th August 2011, 17:14   #6
BHPian

Fantastic pics Karl, looks like you all had fun. Loved the last couple of pics with the entire line up of colorful bugs - like a rainbow in the rain. Thanks for sharing.

Please post more pics of the engine bay of the modded beetle. TIA.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 28th August 2011 at 17:15.
Old 29th August 2011, 11:31   #7
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the thread Karl.

Is the Beetle is in good shape to go to Mahabaleshwar and get photographed at the royal gates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Which of these Bugs belongs to Mr. Shirke (randonusername)?

Raab Rakha.
The Maroon one.
Old 29th August 2011, 12:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Is the Beetle is in good shape to go to Mahabaleshwar and get photographed at the royal gates?

The Maroon one.
wonderful pics and a beautiful line up of 11 bugs, i wish i cud see some pics of one the way to chakan,pls share what all did you guys do,were you lucky to see the beetle production line- i wish i could be there,i earlier expressed my wish and idea on T bhp, of why not start with an event or a festival of get together at chakan once an year,may be on the birthday of vw every year,iam sure the number will increase in each passing year,an iam sad to live sooo long from chakan-any ways thanks for sharing such a beautiful pictures-

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : SMS / Slang language is not the preferred mode of communication on Team-BHP. We would much appreciate if you type your post out in clear and concise english for the benefit of other community members.

Thanks!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 1st September 2011 at 16:54. Reason: See note.
Old 29th August 2011, 18:35   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A special drive indeed. Thanks for sharing these pictures, Karl.

Interesting to see how each of the Beetles present is different in its own unique way. Congrats on your lovely bug. Bet you spend the entire of Sunday cleaning her & getting rid of any spot of rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
were you lucky to see the beetle production line
What production line? It's a CBU.
Old 29th August 2011, 19:00   #10
Team-BHP Support

Looks like a packet of Cadbury Gems strewn around in the parking Looking good indeed!

Am still trying to figure out the various permutation combinations these came out in. Hats off to the owners who keep these beauties running around.
Old 29th August 2011, 20:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Is the Beetle is in good shape to go to Mahabaleshwar and get photographed at the royal gates? WITHOUT WIPERS!!!

The Maroon one.
Thanks Kiran. I also see a white Fiat Select MHI 4671 parked near his covered Beetle everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Looks like a packet of Cadbury Gems strewn around in the parking Looking good indeed!
Damn JAGGU, either you are too fond of GEMS or your color calling is excellent. Indeed all those bug colors look like GEMS. I can vouch because I'm holding a GEMS packet right now in my hand.

Raab Rakha.
Old 29th August 2011, 21:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful line up of Yesteryear Beetles.What a colour spread and delight to see these cars.Im floored completely !!
Old 29th August 2011, 21:49   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Thanks Kiran. I also see a white Fiat Select MHI 4671 parked near his covered Beetle everyday.

Damn JAGGU, either you are too fond of GEMS or your color calling is excellent. Indeed all those bug colors look like GEMS. I can vouch because I'm holding a GEMS packet right now in my hand.

Raab Rakha.
Actually parle poppins is the candy with the exact match of colors!

Beautiful pictures. Although the rain probably prevented lesser pics being taken, but at the same time these beauties look better in the rain only!
Old 30th August 2011, 10:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
My second and last set of pictures. Incessant rains meant I couldn't get as many pictures as I'd liked.

A special thank you to the good guys at BSMotoring who made the drive happen. Do catch their next issue for coverage of the event.

Also a special thank you to the good guys at Dupont who specially made great quality custom car covers for us.

And of course, Volkswagen India for being gracious hosts, and MD Dr. Chako for spending time with us.
What a nice line up! It great to see a mark specific drive and that too a fairly long drive for classics. I wish there were more working Mercs of the 40s, 50s and 60s in Kolkata for a drive like this. I know a great 200 km drive (one way) where one could relax for a day and head back the next day.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 1st September 2011, 09:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Karl your car looks quite superb, is the front suspension a little higher than it should be? Kasli how did you car perform on the drive down?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks