Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2011, 20:14   #1
BHPian

Ford & Plymouth taxis in Junagadh

I am trying to gather information over the Ford/Plymouth taxis that run in the princely town of Junagadh. I have heard a lot of about the 1940s Plymouth taxis plying on the streets of Junagadh by the dozens. This actually is part of a study (and paper) that I am doing, and any information would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th September 2011 at 14:11.
Old 17th September 2011, 21:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Plymouth taxis in Junagadh

You mean they still "run" there?

That's a surprise for me for sure. Good luck. DO post some pics of the same if you can.
Old 17th September 2011, 22:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
I am trying to gather information over the Ford Plymouth taxis that run in the princely town of Junagadh. I have heard a lot of about the 1940s Plymouth taxis plying on the streets of Junagadh by the dozens.
Well, 'never heard of a "Ford Plymouth". Fords, yes AND Plymouths yes.
But AFAIK the two never merged to produce cars, atleast not in the 1940s/50s!

May be a different scenario now, you dont know who owns who!
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 22:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Well, 'never heard of a "Ford Plymouth". Fords, yes AND Plymouths yes.
But AFAIK the two never merged to produce cars, atleast not in the 1940s/50s!

May be a different scenario now, you dont know who owns who!
My bad, as I missed a / there! See what a missing punctuation can do to a sentence.

So, do you know of those taxis?
Old 17th September 2011, 23:48   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, do you know of those taxis?
I wish! I heard that Girnar also had lots of old Ford Taxis running around with Matador Diesel engines back in the 80s and maybe even 90s. Unfortunately(?) with the influx of newer cars, especially Diesel MUVs etc. older taxis have gone extinct.
Old 19th September 2011, 12:56   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford & Plymouth taxis in Junagadh

I believe 3 or 4 of them (Fords) still run in Junagadh, obviously battlescarred. I didn't see any when I visited though.

A couple of small pictures were posted, but I cannot find them right now. Check this link.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...tc-thread.html (The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread)

You will also see some taxis from Mahabaleshwar, but barring one Ford, they are mostly extinct now.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 14:39   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
You will also see some taxis from Mahabaleshwar, but barring one Ford, they are mostly extinct now.
Dear Karl - the Jeep Station Wagon Taxi is still running in Wai. There is one more Station Wagon under painting there. Then there is a Padmini with an absolutely original untouched front bumper. I go there and onwards to Panchgani quite often for "work". .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 15:10   #8
BHPian

It's True. There used to be many taxis consisting Ford four door, Mercury & Playmouth. I guess I did mentioned in one of my initial posts regarding this as I had plans to buy one. There were at least 5-10 running regularly until 2 yrs back when I inquired. Now a days not many. I do have photo of nicely restored one ford in my mobile which I'll share in a day or so. that guy was asking nearly 1lac plus.

But to get any with original engine is quite difficult. Since they run as taxi, almost all have diesel engines.

Still there are quite a few available in Junagadh, Dhoraji, Manawadar area.

Thanks,
Pradip.
pradipk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 16:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I believe 3 or 4 of them (Fords) still run in Junagadh, obviously battlescarred. I didn't see any when I visited though.

A couple of small pictures were posted, but I cannot find them right now. Check this link.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...tc-thread.html (The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread)

Thanks a lot karlosdeville. Would you tell me when did you last visit Junagadh? I hope there are a few 'alive' even now! Any information on the plymouths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
It's True. There used to be many taxis consisting Ford four door, Mercury & Playmouth. I guess I did mentioned in one of my initial posts regarding this as I had plans to buy one. There were at least 5-10 running regularly until 2 yrs back when I inquired. Now a days not many. I do have photo of nicely restored one ford in my mobile which I'll share in a day or so. that guy was asking nearly 1lac plus.

But to get any with original engine is quite difficult. Since they run as taxi, almost all have diesel engines.

Still there are quite a few available in Junagadh, Dhoraji, Manawadar area.

Thanks,
Pradip.
Thank you Pradip. Invaluable information. Would you have any information on whether there are Plymouths and mercurys in Junagadh even today? Can you also share any contact information (PM) of the person you were in touch with regarding the purchase? Was he a fleet owner?

Any more information about this would be very valuable to me!

Thank you , all.
Old 19th September 2011, 17:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot karlosdeville. Would you tell me when did you last visit Junagadh? I hope there are a few 'alive' even now! Any information on the plymouths?

Thank you Pradip. Invaluable information. Would you have any information on whether there are Plymouths and mercurys in Junagadh even today? Can you also share any contact information (PM) of the person you were in touch with regarding the purchase? Was he a fleet owner?

Any more information about this would be very valuable to me!

Thank you , all.
As I mentioned, couple of fords are still there and serving as a taxi on daily basis, means in good running condition. I'll check out regarding them as I'll be visiting junagadh very soon . It's my hometown.

Just to let you know little history behind those cars:

Junagadh state owned many such cars and other places which I mentioned in my previous post were under Junagadh state. At the time of independence, Nawab of Junagadh flew away to Pakistan leaving almost everything. Over a period it was believed that the drivers (or the people who used to take care of them) assigned to each cars became owners. Presently those cars doesn't belong to any single fleet owner. all are individual owners of them. There used to be one mechanic in Keshod who does all necessary work. I guess my uncle knows him (or has his contact details), who helped me when I wanted to buy one (though which never happened). Eventually I heard someone from Kolkata bought couple of cars and the cars which are left are considered as per present owner the gems and they want that price too !

I'll try to help you out, let me know what what information you want.

Thanks,
Pradip.
Old 19th September 2011, 18:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
As I mentioned, couple of fords are still there and serving as a taxi on daily basis, means in good running condition. I'll check out regarding them as I'll be visiting junagadh very soon . It's my hometown.

Just to let you know little history behind those cars:

Junagadh state owned many such cars and other places which I mentioned in my previous post were under Junagadh state. At the time of independence, Nawab of Junagadh flew away to Pakistan leaving almost everything. Over a period it was believed that the drivers (or the people who used to take care of them) assigned to each cars became owners. Presently those cars doesn't belong to any single fleet owner. all are individual owners of them. There used to be one mechanic in Keshod who does all necessary work. I guess my uncle knows him (or has his contact details), who helped me when I wanted to buy one (though which never happened). Eventually I heard someone from Kolkata bought couple of cars and the cars which are left are considered as per present owner the gems and they want that price too !

I'll try to help you out, let me know what what information you want.

Thanks,
Pradip.
Now that's great news for me, and I am sure you are the wealth of knowledge I was seeking. Thank you Pradip!

What I basically require is the robust history behind the start of this taxi era, and how it progressed to become what it was until a few years back. Also, I would like to know the status as of today. A brief background over their fare structure, numbers, models and operations would be also needed by me.

I know I am asking way too much, but poochne mein kya jaata hai. (Inspired by the recent tata sky promo). I also require a few high resolution pictures, but then can be arranged by me subsequently. Can I know when you would be visiting Junagadh next?

We can take this offline (to PM or phone) if you wish. Thank you in advance.
Old 20th September 2011, 14:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Now that's great news for me, and I am sure you are the wealth of knowledge I was seeking. Thank you Pradip!

What I basically require is the robust history behind the start of this taxi era, and how it progressed to become what it was until a few years back. Also, I would like to know the status as of today. A brief background over their fare structure, numbers, models and operations would be also needed by me.

I know I am asking way too much, but poochne mein kya jaata hai. (Inspired by the recent tata sky promo). I also require a few high resolution pictures, but then can be arranged by me subsequently. Can I know when you would be visiting Junagadh next?

We can take this offline (to PM or phone) if you wish. Thank you in advance.
No issues, PM me for further details. I'll be visiting there just after a week.
Old 20th September 2011, 14:52   #13
BHPian

Hello,
I request you guys not to take this discussion offline.
This is a chance that we all will get to know about these beauties who dominated the post war era. And Mr. Pradip here being from the same area, can throw some light on the cars that remain today. But thats just my opinion.

Regards,

Priyadarshan
Old 20th September 2011, 19:23   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

A couple of small pictures were posted, but I cannot find them right now.
Are these the pics. you refer to?

Ford & Plymouth taxis in Junagadh-juntaxi.jpg

Ford & Plymouth taxis in Junagadh-juntaxi1.jpg

Found them in this forum:

any silky beige i20 owners here - Page 14 | Buying a Car | Car Forums - CarWale

'wish there was atleast one showing the complete car.

Incidentally, I expected these taxis to be black and yellow. Or is that allowed only in the metros? It does have taxi plates though (now yellow)
Old 20th September 2011, 20:31   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

In the 1980's there was an article in a magazine on Junagadh Ford taxis. If my memory serves me correctly it was either "Probe" or "Mirror" magazine. I may have kept the issue, but will have to search a lot! There were scores of them running around and doing their duties in Junagadh town. Nearly all were dieselised. The Lions and the Ford taxis of this place in the Girnar Hills were quite famous.
In the Nashik- Trimbakeshwar route, where I had been around 1992 and also in 1993, Chevrolet Fleetmaster taxis were running and doing their duties. There was a virtual monopoly and no other taxis (yellow and black) could be sighted.These used to carry more than 20 passengers and were also dieselised.I am not sure whether these still run on the Nashik-Trimbakeshwar route even now.Peculiarly, the Nashik-Shirdi route or the Nashik-Igatpuri/ Chandwad route were not serviced by the Fleetmasters, but these were only seen on the Trimbakeshwar route. Incidentally, Trimbakeshwar is where the Godavari River originates and there is a huge temple here with a pond and the latter is believed to be the origin point of the Godavari.

Most Viewed