A Ford Truck of 50's-photo0281.jpg  

A Ford Truck of 50's-photo0280.jpg  

A Ford Truck of 50's-photo0285.jpg  

A Ford Truck of 50's-photo0279.jpg  

Top gear is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2011, 17:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Ford Truck of 50's

This is indeed a 1947 vintage truck, but expecting that all the mechanicals would have been changed to TATA as normally is the case.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2011, 17:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

That's super rare these days, yes all mechanicals may not be orignal. front wheel and the center part look like Tata
Old 20th November 2011, 18:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am no expert in vintage vehicles, but in the last pic, doesn't the wheel well look like it has been welded on to the base body to accommodate a wider wheel base? Or were these things like this only?

Nice truck though he shouldn't have welded the extra grills.Did you get any interior pics?
Old 20th November 2011, 20:58   #5

Ya it seems like he had made lot of welding work like you observed in the wheel well, but the driver to whom i talked was so elated and was in cloud 9 when i asked the details he started telling the front end is OEM built.

I could'nt take any Interior pics, but as this was spotted next to my work place, i may get a chance to see it one more time, i will try to get some interior pics next time if its seen, but as i rmbr it was mostly wooden dash, wooden glovebox

The support structure (box section tubes in present day trucks) between long rails (chassis long member) and rear luggage container was also a big wooden block bolted with U-bolts to chassis.
Old 20th November 2011, 21:04   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

It is quite a pleasant surprise to see the Ford truck still running on the Bangalore streets.This one can be from the period 1945 - 48. It must be costing lots of time and money for the owner to keep the old truck still running. All praises for him as no one keeps such old commercial vehicles these days. The truck must be having a diesel powerplant. The front wheels and the axle are perhaps borrowed from the older Tata/TMB trucks.The bonnet logo and some of the ornamentation still remain original.The grille looks a bit redone with the welding jobs newly done on the vertical members. The bumper in front is also a late addition.
These trucks were introduced by Ford in 1942 (model year 1942 started in September 1941)in the US , but soon due commencement to WW II on 7/12/1941 production was more war oriented by the company. Civilian production ceased by February 1942. Henry Ford's son Edsel died in 1943 and so these years were too bad for Ford that also reported losses in 1943. Henry Ford I was ageing and was unable to head his company. Edsel's eldest son (Henry Ford II) was then brought back from the US army (the US govt pulled him out of military service) and made Vice President to rescue the company. In fact, this is one of the first true truck designs by Ford as all other older trucks resembled Ford car designs. After the end of the war, production commenced in 1945 and this model was produced till around 1948, when a newer version replaced this one.
The original truck design was also used to build pick-ups as one can see in the pictures below.
A Ford Truck of 50's-19461947_ford.jpg
The trucks-rotting
A Ford Truck of 50's-fordhubcapcafe.jpg
A pickup
A Ford Truck of 50's-military-truckford.jpg
The military truck
(picture 2 from hubcapcafe and 1 and 3 from howstuffworks)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th November 2011 at 21:12.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks