Team-BHP - Help with identifying a scooter - Is it a Narmada 150?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   Help with identifying a scooter - Is it a Narmada 150? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/111789-help-identifying-scooter-narmada-150-a.html)

Hello!

I would need help from the experts with identifying a scooter.
I am pretty sure it is Indian, but that's about all I know.

Thanks in advance,
Norbert

Quote:

Originally Posted by limerick1999 (Post 2594875)
Hello!

Its difficult to tell from just the front view pic. but going by the handle-bar, horncast and mudguard, it could be a Narmada 150, a local scooter produced for a while back in the 80s I think. A kind of cross between an LML Vespa and Bajaj Chetak.
The maroon one in the background is a Vespa PL 170.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanher (Post 2595167)
Its difficult to tell from just the front view pic. but going by the handle-bar, horncast and mudguard, it could be a Narmada 150, a local scooter produced for a while back in the 80s I think. A kind of cross between an LML Vespa and Bajaj Chetak.
The maroon one in the background is a Vespa PL 170.

Quote:

Originally Posted by limerick1999 (Post 2594875)
Hello!

Thanks in advance,
Norbert

I am no expert but can identify a few things on the picture. The scooter is a cross-breed. The mudguard is of the Narmada 150 made by Gujarat Narmada Auto Ltd (GNAL). The handlebar is of a Bajaj Chetak post 1984, when they offered these kinds of handlebars which could be accessed for repairs from the underside by unscrewing two/three bolts on the left and right sides. Again the tool/glove box to its left has Narmada like styling.Then the empty slot for the logo below the headlight matches with that for the Bajajs or the Priyas.
More pictures will help a better identification.
Maybe for some different looks the owner tried to fit components of or like the Narmada, Chetak and so on.

With only front view, its difficult to tell which brand it is.
Can we have the rear view also....
I guess its a "NARMADA" scooter.

@ Stanher -- Yes that a Vespa PL170.

We had a sky color in 1982 (May be,can not say the accurate year).
Dad got that scooter for around Rs.10,000.

It was with us till 1991. At that time parts availability was a major issue for that scooter.

Whow, I'm seriously impressed how quick I got responses - thank you very much!
The Narmada brand is completely new to me, but the hedset hat GNAL stamped in it - I forgot to mention that, I thought that was a sub-puplier for parts.

Thanks again,
Norbert

Yes it looks very much like Narmada 150 Produced by GNAL group.

Check out this post from another thread which has a rear view picture of this scooter

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4v3 (Post 2394368)
I understand from a few Narmada Prince owners that the GNAL scooters have Bajaj engines and frame numbers, thus they were sourcing their parts from Bajaj.

I do believe though that the Girnar scooters were different, if one can make theories based on one picture. Who has a good picture of a Girnar Leo?

Here is for the 'little history' as we say:

Girnar Scooters was a company started by the Gujarat Small Scale Industries Corporation (GSIC). The Company likely went into production in 1978. Unfortunately, by 1982 the company suffered heavy losses. The government of Gujarat tried various methods to revive the company. It also had prolonged negotiations with Bajaj Auto Ltd. to see whether the scooters could be handed over to Bajaj. Unfortunately, these negotiations also failed.

Gujarat Narmada Auto Ltd. (GNAL): In 1986 Girnar Scooters became a subsidiary of fertilizir company 'Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers Co. Ltd.' (GNFC). Its name was changed to Gujarat Narmada Auto Ltd.(GNAL) and a new factory ground was set up at Valia, Bharuch district. The 600 workers of Girnar Scooters were shifted to the new location and thus saved from unemployment. The 28000 sq/m factory was built in Valia in 144 days, and finalised on the first of May 1986. By 1987 GNAL manufactured 30,301 scooters. Around 1987, GNAL signed an agreement with Yeu Tyan Machinery Manufactering Co, Taiwan for acquiring new technology for a 150 cc engine. A prototype for a threewheeler designed by the R and D department has been assembled and the design thereof has been sent for registration. GNAL closed shop in 1992-1993.

here is a Advert from an old Magazine

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 2083512)
Some old classic brochures/ advertisements after digging into my old magazine collection.

Narmada 150 in Indian Auto,1989

Definitely bajaj chetak handle
And maybe a bajaj super body.

Earlier these were known as Girnar scooters of Gujarat Scooters Ltd, which was subsequently taken over by Gujarat Narmada Auto Ltd. Just like the Priya scooters of Maharashtra scooters. But these were variants of the Bajaj 150 scooters with only three gears unlike the Chetak.

On a 2nd look the Front Mudguard looks from the LML Vespa NV 150, the sticker placeholder looks like that from a Bajaj scooter but then again I believe the GNAL had similar shaped logo(not sure though).

Bolted on blinkers, thus this would be a Gnal Narmada scooter. Girnar leo was different.