Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 15:17   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Manish, The car will leave in a couple of days, so plan early and come down. Today being Friday, the workshop is closed, why dont you make a trip tomorrow

Some more detailing work happened yesterday, Let the pics do the talking.
I will come probably tomorrow. This fresh set of pictures look good. I too like the lat picture of the rear, those original lights help a lot in the looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Channagidhe saar! The rear especially looks superb (NO other lights btw!)
Yes earlier I thought like MG there could be some kinda fancy lights . I have one car in bangalore being done up like that.

Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-dsc08779.jpg
Old 18th May 2012, 19:26   #92
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Channagidhe saar! The rear especially looks superb (NO other lights btw!)

BTW, an idea reg. the front grille, you can hide the imperfections in the bars/slats by fitting a nice period AA badge over there (I have 1 or 2 I think! ), kinda like this:
What an idea sirjee

Let me talk to Prashanth/Nomad aka (NOW ON T-BHP -- Voyager)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I will come probably tomorrow. This fresh set of pictures look good. I too like the lat picture of the rear, those original lights help a lot in the looks.

Sure Manish, let me know when you want to come.

Pending work.

1) Headlights
2) Fuel Tank cleaning
3) Door pad and Carpet installation
4) Dickey lock
5) Number plates
6) Wipers
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-imag_1926.jpg  

Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-imag_1928.jpg  

Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-imag_1930.jpg  

Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-imag_1929.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 20:51   #93
BANNED

Well.. The car finally went home to Nomad's house.

Mechanically its very much sound.

Due to Non-availability of fittings, there are few bits not done.

Upholstery work will be completed at the owners place due to the fear of them getting dirty at the workshop.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 00:36   #94
BANNED

Re: Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED

Visited the car today evening, Though the car is in a good nick, but the finishing touch is what its missing, i am dissapointed with my fitting guy

Very little but few vital fittings on the car not attended to the way it has to be, The fitting guys knowledge on these cars are very limited and he is only used to 2 door VW's and their easy mechanism, Its his mistake for admitting to do it himself and i could only cut a sorry face with my friend for this mistake, i must admint, there are a few things screwed up by the fitting guy.

Prashanth is a stickler for perfection, and he has his set of people coming over to attend to the remaining bits, i shall go over and learn a bit on how his people go about finishing with the door settings and other things. This is where i miss my regular tinker and fitter. Just wish i could get him back.

Parts that have remained elusive till now,

1) Headlight beams
2) Body chrome mouldings
3) Windshield rubbers
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-imag_2031.jpg  

Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-imag_2033.jpg  

Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-imag_2034.jpg  

Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-imag_2035.jpg  

Old 31st May 2012, 10:31   #95
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see some pics of the completed car at last. Paint looks amazing. Its sad to hear about the fittings (or shall i say ill-fittings).
This is why i prefer doing small fitting jobs myself, just can't trust any body with all those elusive trims and parts. Have learned this the hard way. When i restored my S1 i redid the complete upholstery myself, including fitting all the interior and exterior trims and pieces.
But i understand your problem as you are restoring this for someone else. Anyways i wish the car gets completed soon. BTW are there any plans to get this car detailed by our very own UD guys.

Last edited by samsag12 : 31st May 2012 at 10:35.
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 11:11   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Nice to see some pics of the completed car at last. Paint looks amazing. Its sad to hear about the fittings (or shall i say ill-fittings).
This is why i prefer doing small fitting jobs myself, just can't trust any body with all those elusive trims and parts. Have learned this the hard way. When i restored my S1 i redid the complete upholstery myself, including fitting all the interior and exterior trims and pieces.
But i understand your problem as you are restoring this for someone else. Anyways i wish the car gets completed soon. BTW are there any plans to get this car detailed by our very own UD guys.

Painter - There are almost no issues, All panels straight, no wavey panels, decent finishing, he's done the job as ordered, Still he's not perfect (No one's perfect anyways ) He has very minor things to do, maybe an hours work, which he will finish without any issues.

Upholstery guys - No issues again, as they too have done a pretty decent job as ordered, I got the inner chrome trims just recently that will go on the door pads, some more small things are still being searched around, they will complete the job.

Mechanic - Nothing much to worry as he's done his job as usual.

Electrician - Has done a decent job, yet to finish his job, and he will complete his bit once all the parts arrive.

Tinker - Has done a great job with the body work, panel setting done right. BUT when it comes to fitting stuff on the car, he's screwed up Yes, his lack of knowledge is limited on these cars, he's still young, but lack of foresight- he did one mistake of not telling me that he cannot do it This would have solved both our problems.

Anyways, nothing much to fret, its between friends and i will offer my full on support to Prashanth till the car is 100% complete.
Old 31st May 2012, 13:14   #97
Senior - BHPian

Nice job Pavan.
If the headlights are difficult to come by you can put FORCE MINIDOR headlights but you'll need to get them chromed as they come in black.
You can choose from HELLA (The best), Neolite & Geolite brands.
They fit 100%. (See my car)

Raab rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 31st May 2012 at 13:15.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 16:17   #98
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot on giving the insight into the work (done as well as pending) and the workers, who collectively made efforts to restore this car & succeeded. I really wish that it gets completed soon.
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 22:41   #99
BHPian

Pavan Excellent restoration dear and i really like the colour scheme it looks soothing to the eyes.

i never knew parsy likes 4 wheelers also

Also are the ignition coil (batla) available these days i am searchig few for my jawas

Regards,
Ranjit
jawabiker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 22:47   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawabiker View Post
Pavan Excellent restoration dear and i really like the colour scheme it looks soothing to the eyes.

i never knew parsy likes 4 wheelers also

Also are the ignition coil (batla) available these days i am searchig few for my jawas

Regards,
Ranjit
Prashy and 4 wheelers...! was that your question.

Look at the below pic ( taken at his house )
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-imag_2025.jpg  

Old 5th June 2012, 23:07   #101
BHPian

WOW this is some stable.

Have always seen Parsy 2 wheelers first time that i am seeking his collection of 4 wheels.

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 20th June 2012, 10:44   #102
BHPian

the car looks so beautiful!!! The sky blue and white just looks heavenly! Kudos man!!

Old 6th August 2012, 21:58   #103
BHPian

This thread has been Idle for quite a bit and thought i would restart it .I have finally got the car back on the road and was present at the FCB meet yesterday .

Just thought i would put together a overall history of the restoration of the car from my side along with details of the work happened in the past two months .

Firstly a big thanks to Pavan for doing all the running around ,following up and putting his 100% attempting to get things in place ,monitor progress ,co-ordinate etc .Being involved actively in the automobile field I understand how much of an effort it is to chase down tinkers, painters and mechanics .Kudos to the great enthusiasm and i owe you one my friend .

Project "milli" was started on the 1st January 2011 and it has been a slow one .Started more with "I want it the way i want it " than a budget it has taken quite a bit and many reworks to get to to where it is today and still not reached completion ,but no regrets,for it is getting to the spec i expect it to be . A brief history is below

1st Jan 2011 - Car was taken off the road stripped down at home .All fittings were locked up in a room and stayed in there .
2nd Jan 2011 - scraping work starts, conventional method ,paint remover and paint putty blade ,10 days to get the car to bare metal .no blow torch used!!
12th Jan 2011 -Car goes to tinker "karunakaran" in banaswadi .work starts ,most work done but body tapping not to spec as i didn’t want to use .
June 2011 -Car moved to one more tinker -Ajmat bhai for pure body tapping
August 2011 - Car readyafter tinkering but since i had no time car just sits .
20th 0ctober 2011-Car moved to Pavan for painting and some basic sheet metal work .
October 26th 2011 -Quotes provided and a go head for work given, work starts
November 11th 2011 -We tried spraying wash primer, Since it wasn’t meeting specific requirements Zinc oxide was used the conventional way .
November 26th 2011 -Car ready for final coat of surface .
February 25th 2012 - Car towed to the booth and the final paint goes on it .
March 2012 -Fitting starts ,upholstery ,Electrical s etc .
May 24th 2012 -Car was ready at the garage and was driven home .
May -Since I wasn’t really pleased with many bits on the restoration I decided to pull down the car and refit it again .Being a perfectionist i am usually paranoid about getting things the way i want, and it’s hard to get it right the first time .Thanks to my dad’s mechanic Murthy in spite of being retired came in and helped on the mechanical s and the wifey who filled in as the "flunky" while I did work on the car , and we did work most evenings till 1 in the night leaving the neighbors’ zapped .
August-5th 2012 - The car does her First run after the restoration ,about 10+ kms and did not miss a beat , back to the same spec mechanically as she was before and she is going to be used regularly .

Detailed list of tasks carried out and pics to follow .

Prashanth

Last edited by Voyager : 6th August 2012 at 22:01.
Voyager is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 00:08   #104
BANNED

There are few bits that i was really not happy with my people once the car was ready. My tinker was not able to do justice to what Prashanth and me actually expected him to do. Atleast my electrician upholstery guys and the mechanic did their best, though i would appreciate the Painter too for the kind of work done tailor suited to the Budget ( save for the last minute screw up of few small bits)

Good that we moved out the car once it was mechanically sound, I have been monitoring and offering moral support over the last month I hope Prashanth finds all those missing bits and gets done with 100% completion of the car.

Nevertheless, happy the car has come this far, and it can only get better from here.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-dsc02251.jpg  

Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-dsc02252.jpg  

Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-dsc02253.jpg  

Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-dsc02255.jpg  

Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-dsc02257.jpg  

Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-dsc02258.jpg  

Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-dsc02259.jpg  

Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-dsc02260.jpg  

Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED-dsc02261.jpg  

Old 7th August 2012, 11:23   #105
BHPian

These were the tasks carried out at home in the last two months along with the pending tasks .. i would like to get a view from the experts to add on to the pending tasks list .. will add in a couple of pics of the work carried out as well .

-Remove,tinker and and fix grill back as they were in bad shape .Thanks to my two wheeler tinker who did a good job on it .
-Reworked the front facia since it was fixed wrong a bit of tapping was done trying as much as to not damage the paint and refixed .
-Made radiator side shrouds,painted and fix to front facia as the Radiator was mounted on only one bottom mount .
-Removed steering box ,paint and fix both bolts as one was missing .
-Removed steering ends ,clean ,grease,paint and replace rubbers .
-Removed crankcase ,Painted ,changed gasket and refit .
-Removed oil filter setup ,cleaned return hole as it was fully blocked with no oil dripping down ,replaced filter and gasket and refitted .
-Removed front wheel cylinder as it was grabbing and grease spray on the rims ,found rusted inside and some waste put in the cylinder to stop leakage ,went ahead and decided to replace the brake cylinders and oil seals on the front wheels and brake cylinders on the rear wheels .While at it the brake plates were painted .
-Alternator bracket changed old one was in two bits and it was jammed in place.
-Bonnet release cable fitted
-Silencer had to be bended in place to reduce rattle ,but still needs rework.
-Horn fitted in the right place .
-Mirror fixed into the rear view mirror frame with a opaque film for the interior light
-Battery box fitted with flat head screws to ensure it sits firm .
-Oil return pipe replaced as it had deformed
-Accelerator pedal rubbers and bush kit replaced
-Internal Airflow box fitted
-Petrol filler cap mount rubber replaced with new ,filler piece painted and refitted with new hose and clips
-Carb removed and overhauled with a major kit as the acc pump etc had been tampered .
-All door locks removed and serviced
-All window winders removed and serviced
-New Edge beadings installed as they were just pushed in place earlier and one door was missing it .
-Door hinges pin had to be made and some banging had to be done to set doors ,we lost some paint in the bargain ..
-New glass channels installed as they were chopped off earlier and not running all the way down
-Fitted in door stoppers as they were missed
-Fitted dickey rubber
-Fitted bonnet spring
-Fitted new radiator hoses and clamps .
-Fitted gear box shroud and the left side plate to prevent water splash to delco
-Fitted right screws for the tail light as they had ugly long screws popping out .
-Fitted new indicator lenses as they had melted away thanks to the electrician who put in long bulbs and kept it on ..
-Fitted new balance rod bushes
-Fitted in the aluminum trims for the windows with the joint clips .
-Roof steel Trim fitted.
-Headlights fitted ,original rings were mated with the Suzuki samurai headlight beams and some rubber beading's for water tightness.
-Body beading's /trim fixed on both sides.
-Rear Fiat 1100 monogram fixed
-Upholstery and mats/carpets was fitted by the upholstery folks .
-Number plate remade ,the original metal nos were riveted in place and i managed to make small hols and tap them in for screws.The herculean task was to get the holes angled right .

Pending tasks

-Replace front and rear rubber beading as they are badly damaged
-Reweld silencer and maybe change muffler
-Rework on dickey hinges to enable fitment of the aluminum covers and stop play.
-Undo all electricals ,fix connectors for all connections ,currently they are taped up and some held with matchsticks shoved in,
-Rebuild the combination switch for headlights
-fix airflow regulation cable
-Fix the data plate
-Fit front seat slider as locks seem to be not working fine .
-Fit wipers
-Have seen rust underneath already so need a good cleanup and spray of Zinc oxide .
-Remove and refit bumpers as the gaurds and bumpers have lots of gaps now .Possibly need to shuffle the guards .
-White wall tires
-pull out rims and paint the inner sides ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks