Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2012, 02:49   #91
BHPian

Re: Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Now that you mentioned about rectangular handlebar, i got lucky with that recently.
Great news! Congratulations on the acquisition! When are you planning to start the restoration of your scooter? With summer almost around the corner, this is the best time for restoring vehicles.
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:40   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Great news! Congratulations on the acquisition! When are you planning to start the restoration of your scooter? With summer almost around the corner, this is the best time for restoring vehicles.

Well thank you for the wishes. Sadly i only have the handle so far. I am yet to get a nice Chetak which originally had rect. headlamp, ie. pre 1982. And I am going to be out of country for the whole summer so going to miss that opportunity. But keeping fingers crossed, you never know when you come across a gem of a scooter suddenly out of the blue. So wish me luck..

Priyadarshan
Old 2nd March 2012, 13:32   #93
BHPian

On my way to office, the cab picks up a few employees from a place near my house called Gunfoundry. The lanes and by lanes of this area has a lot of scooter owners having LML Vespas, Chetaks etc. I spotted a couple of Chetaks having rectangular head lamps. I also read somewhere on this forum that an area called Mallepally has a lot of these scooters lying with a mechanic. May be a trip to Hyderabad should be on your itinerary!

Last edited by Scarlet_Rider : 2nd March 2012 at 13:33.
Old 5th March 2012, 09:42   #94
BHPian

Weekend Update. Completed the following:
1. Rubbing Polish.
2. Monogram Fittings.
3. Instructions Stickers.
4. Protective Beading for the sides of the Floor. Picked up from Scrapped Car Beadings
5. Miscellaneous Tuning & Nut Tightening works.
6. White Handle Grips installed.
7. Tail lamp fitted.
8. Paint Touch Up, wherever chipped off during assembling.

Still Looking for:
1. The Original Rear Seat Plate.
2. Original Petrol Tank.

Problems faced:
1. The Coil from the Magneto which sends the current for the the Brake Light has gone Kaput. Does the coil from any Bajaj Scooter fits in it, or there is a sepcific Coil for Vespa ? Kindly guide. Planning to get the Coil work done Next Weekend.

Apart from the above mentioned issue, the babe is running like a dream

Also, coming weekend planning to take loads of Pictures. As unfortunately on the day when the polishing and fittings were done, i forgot to take the camera with me.

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 5th March 2012 at 09:47.
Old 5th March 2012, 14:39   #95
BHPian

You can use any coil that fits the Bajaj 150 or Priya. They are all the same. The best option is to replace all the three coils on the stator plate. Ensure to take the old coils with you when you go to purchase new ones. Also check the condition of the stator plate. If it is cracked, go in for a new stator plate along with all the coils. Also get the flywheel magnet recharged if required.

Another option you have is go in for a stator plate having 12V coils, so that the electrical system can be converted from 6V to 12V. However for this you will also need to change all the bulbs, the horn and the ignition coil to the ones having a 12V rating.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 14:48   #96
BHPian

Quote:
You can use any coil that fits the Bajaj 150 or Priya. They are all the same. The best option is to replace all the three coils on the stator plate. Ensure to take the old coils with you when you go to purchase new ones. Also check the condition of the stator plate. If it is cracked, go in for a new stator plate along with all the coils. Also get the flywheel magnet recharged if required.

Another option you have is go in for a stator plate having 12V coils, so that the electrical system can be converted from 6V to 12V. However for this you will also need to change all the bulbs, the horn and the ignition coil to the ones having a 12V rating.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Hey Rahul,

Thanks for the confirmation / information buddy. I will take the Coils with me, once i go there on the coming weekend.

In case of 12V, i think will need to change whole wiring harness ? that will be too hectic for me as my babe is assembled just few days back and dont want to mess it up again.

Kindly suggest.
Old 5th March 2012, 15:06   #97
BHPian

If the existing wiring harness is in a good condition, I don't think you need to change it. Sushil's Bajaj 150 has a 12V electrical system. May be he can throw some light.
Old 5th March 2012, 15:13   #98
BHPian

Quote:
If the existing wiring harness is in a good condition, I don't think you need to change it. Sushil's Bajaj 150 has a 12V electrical system. May be he can throw some light.
My Scooters Existing Harness is in a VERY Good Condition. I will check out with the Mechanic.

@Sushil Bhai, please throw some light on Rahuls though.
Old 5th March 2012, 15:47   #99
BHPian

Got a confirmation from two very reliable sources that the wiring harness need not be changed. Anyway let Sushil also give a confirmation and you can also check out what the mechanic says. Looking forward to more pictures!
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 16:12   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Got a confirmation from two very reliable sources that the wiring harness need not be changed. Anyway let Sushil also give a confirmation and you can also check out what the mechanic says. Looking forward to more pictures!
Thanks Rahul. Great piece of information for me. I will convey the same to the mechanic and will udpate the thread accordingly.

Sure, will post loads of pictures on the coming Weekend
Old 18th March 2012, 15:59   #101
BHPian

Apologies for not posting the pictures of the scooter..!! Here they are for your eyes only

Was tied up with work, due to which the below mentioned jobs are still pending:

1. Chaging of the Magnet Light Coils.
2. Searching for the Original Petrol tank.
3. Searching for the Original Rear Seat Plate: Was having a chat with Hillram Sir, for the Rear Seat Plate, he told that the plate which i am searching never came with the Indian Vespa, can anyone throw more light on the same ?
Attached Thumbnails
Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02306.jpg  

Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02308.jpg  

Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02309.jpg  

Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02310.jpg  

Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02311.jpg  

sharma_sanjeevi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 20:08   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
Apologies for not posting the pictures of the scooter..!! Here they are for your eyes only
Just one word for it- AWESOME! What a transformation! But most of all, glad to see the original tail-lamp, this gives a whole different look to the Vespa!
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 20:26   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Just one word for it- AWESOME! What a transformation! But most of all, glad to see the original tail-lamp, this gives a whole different look to the Vespa!
Thanks for the Appreciation Shyam..!!

Yes, you are spot on. The Original Tail Lamp makes this beauty look smashing this one is for you, i remember you stressed on getting the original tail lamp only in your earlier post on my thread

Now, just few minor jobs are left out that are pending. Hopefully, will get them done in the coming weekend.

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 18th March 2012 at 20:28.
Old 21st March 2012, 13:47   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post

Was tied up with work, due to which the below mentioned jobs are still pending:

1. Chaging of the Magnet Light Coils.
2. Searching for the Original Petrol tank.
3. Searching for the Original Rear Seat Plate: Was having a chat with Hillram Sir, for the Rear Seat Plate, he told that the plate which i am searching never came with the Indian Vespa, can anyone throw more light on the same ?
Sanjeev Sir, The scooter is looking smashing.. The original tail lamp is complementing the fine restoration job you have done on this scooter. I am sure she is a head turner when you get on the road..

Priyadarshan
priyadarshan.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 22:12   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Sanjeev Sir, The scooter is looking smashing.. The original tail lamp is complementing the fine restoration job you have done on this scooter. I am sure she is a head turner when you get on the road..

Priyadarshan
Thanks for the valuable comments buddy..!! You have played a BIG ROLE in restoring the scooter to this condition

Yes, She is a Head Turner wherever i take her . I am enjoying the attention she is getting.

Update:
Found the Original Petrol Tank. "Fresh from the Oven", i should say, it was removed from a scooter that was in running and came to scrap market.
The guy gave me the tank and i the most happiest person on this earth.

Will post the pictures of the Tank soon, just returned back from Official Tour.

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 21st March 2012 at 22:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks