Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2011, 11:03   #1
BHPian

Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150

Bitten by the scooter Bug again, earlier this year

Earlier in my school days, my father owned a Bajaj 150, It was the same color which is acquired by our fellow TBHP member, Sushil Naraynan. Our Scooter was sold by my elder brother 4 years back, without telling me. I was sad, very sad. But even after the scooter being sold, the memories of that Beautiful Machine kept luring me. I desperately wanted to own one.

And, above all, fond memories of my Late Father driving the scooter and i following him to get a ride on it in my childhood kept kicking me to acquire that beauty again. Wish, i can rotate the time anti clock wise and re-visit those Care Free & Golden Days with my father..!!

Started searching for the scooter on the net, found some good condition stuff. But the price quoted was EXORBITANT to say the least for some resotred and un-restored scooters. Kept searching for some more days, i even asked my friends at the home town to look for one in case available. They told me why are you buying a junk machine. One of my friend, who was with me in the school instantly re-collected and exclaimed "Oh Yes, Sanju" i remember that machine he told that he will definitely look for one. I was touched with his gesture.

Come 28th November 2011, found one scooter in Ahmedabad through net. The guy was quoting a very decent amount, contacted him and he agreed to send the Pictures of the beauty. Got the pictures in the evening and instantly fell in love with the beauty.

The deal was struck and the Gentleman agreed to handover and send the beauty to me in Mumbai. Unfortunately, there was a delay of around a month due to the paper work happening at a slow pace in the RTO. The scooter was in the name of Grandfather of the Gentleman. Who unfortunately is no more, and the registration was also expired. He was kind enough to arrange for the papers in place. Still the papers are
awaited and he has promised that he will deliver next week, once he gets them from the agent.

Come 28th December 2011, finally i laid my hands on the beauty on the outskirts of Thane, Bhiwandi road. The transporters truck was waiting for me to take the delivery there, i went there with a friend of mine. He was kind enough to take me there on his bike. Thanks Pankaj.

I waited with a bated breath to see the scooter in person. The driver slowly opened the latch of the container truck, and voila i can lay my hands on the scooter that i waited for so long. It was an amazing feeling. The scooter being tilted was overflowing and some petrol was also spilled on to the floor of the container. I dont know, why they brought the scooter with petrol filled in the tank. That is dangerous.

Anyhow, it took around 10 Kicks to being the engine to life. The engine came to life and the sound was awesome, i can straight away make out that NO Engine work is required. Gave the Driver "Chai Paani" and left the Bhiwandi stock yard. Went stright to the Petrol Bunk and got the tank full, and left for the journey to home. It was around 40 Kms run. I enjoyed every single moment of the ride.

The Engine performed really well, but there was some hissing sound coming. I stopped the vehicle and opened the engine side panel, the culprit was the broken Air hose pipe that connects to the Carburetter housing. Nothing serious, i continued the ride. After reaching near home, went straight to the mechanic and changed the Hose and changed the Engine Oil.

After this, the scooter was smooth as silk with no extra sound coming from the engine.

Now enough of Trivia i suppose..!! time to reveal some details about the scooter:
1. Make: Vespa 150
2. Purchase Date, by the first and the only owner: 19-11-1964.
3. Color: Off White. Dont know the exact name of the color.
4. Engine has PIAGGIO embossed on the casing below the gear box.

The physical condition of the scooter:
1. It is mechanically (Engine Wise) sound, and nothing to be done immediately. obviously some tuning will be done for the carburetter etc. nothing major on this part.
2. Bodyline: Yes, there is some rusting on the Dicky Panel & the Engine side panel, need to tinker and weld. Little bit rusting on the whole body, but nothing major apart from bothe side panels.

Spares which are needed:
1. Speedometer is not original, it is a Bajaj make. Wanted one on which Vespa150 written on the Dial or the Veglia meter.
2. Original Tail Light.
3. Seats (Front & Back): the owner has changed to single seat configuration. To acommodate the Petrol Lock, they have changed
the Petrol Tank to newer Bajaj Super tank. I think i will live with, as finding an original one would be diffcult. Suggestions needed.
4. Head Light: The rim of the Current one is rusted and has a dent on it.
5. Original Handle Grips.
6. Original Clutch & Front Brake Levers.
7. Original Vespa Rubber Set, containing all the exterior rubber parts.
8. Dicky Lock Original.

The above are the ones, that i can think of now. Rest will update as i move ahead with restoration slowly. Slowly because, i wont be able to spend much time on it, thanks to the hectic office schedules. So i will get only the weekends.

I took the camera to capture the whole delivery, but excitement was so that i forgot to even take out the camera from my laptop bag. I was desperate for it like a child for a toy.

Pictures coming soon..!! I will take the pics and post them for your valuable inputs, that will help me with the restoration of this fantastic machine.

Special Thanks to: PAVAN KADAM, sushiln_79 & insaneinsaan, for their valuable inputs.

@PAVAN Anna: I will disturb you rather often now for the parts. Please bear with me.
sharma_sanjeevi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 12:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150

Awesome..SS, looking forward to the pics..

I am on a similar hunt as well, a CJ3B petrol and a Bajaj Priya..

why Priya, because a Vespa 150 will be too much for me to handle and a Bajaj Priya will be the next best

if you come across something, please do let me know
Old 29th December 2011, 12:37   #3
BHPian

Thanks Anupam for the appreciation.

Yes, the Pics will follow soon, on this weekend.

And, best of luck for your hunt buddy. Sure, i will let you know.
Old 29th December 2011, 19:08   #4
BANNED

Good to see your thread Sanjeev.

I have the pics anyways, but dont want to spoil your party

Me too waiting for the pics..!

Let me know, when i should go for the shopping.?
Old 29th December 2011, 22:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Good to see your thread Sanjeev.

I have the pics anyways, but dont want to spoil your party

Me too waiting for the pics..!

Let me know, when i should go for the shopping.?
Thanks Pavan. Good to see you on my thread..!!

Yes, you do have the pics which the owner has sent Will click pics this weekend, and post accordingly.

Regarding the shopping, i will give a call to you. Just confirm the prices of the spares.

Again, THANKS A LOT for your support.
Old 30th December 2011, 09:25   #6
BHPian

Yesterday Evening, had a good look in to the Underbody of the scooter. There was rusting on the Flooring.

I think, the flooring will need a cut and replace job. Enquired about the flooring, it is available handy at cheap price. Will get one today.

The job of dismantling the scooter, denting & painting starts from tomorrow hopefully. Will keep updating the thread accordingly.
Old 30th December 2011, 10:18   #7
BHPian

Congratulations on the new acquisition. Hope it brings back the good memories from your earlier days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
The job of dismantling the scooter, denting & painting starts from tomorrow hopefully. Will keep updating the thread accordingly.
Do share the pictures from the restoration phase if possible.

Are you thinking of keeping the retro look or do you have something new in mind ?
Old 30th December 2011, 10:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSD View Post
Congratulations on the new acquisition. Hope it brings back the good memories from your earlier days.

Do share the pictures from the restoration phase if possible.

Are you thinking of keeping the retro look or do you have something new in mind ?
Thanks SwiftSD.

I will be sharing the pictures of the whole procedure as far as possible with you guys.

I want to restore the scooter exactly in original state. No, modifications for me.
Old 30th December 2011, 14:19   #9
BHPian

Dear Pavan,

Kindly guide me for the Paint removal, Denting & Painting process to be adopted for the restoration.

Your inputs would be of great help to me.
Old 30th December 2011, 16:33   #10
BHPian

Uploading Pics of the scooter, which i received from the Owner when we were finalising the deal

More Pictures coming soon..!!
Attached Thumbnails
Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-photo0013.jpg  

Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-photo0014.jpg  

Attached Images

sharma_sanjeevi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 15:54   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Uploading Pics of the scooter, which i received from the Owner when we were finalising the deal

More Pictures coming soon..!!
Congrats and nice to see your scoot. Very much restorable and will look a real stunner once restored, although the paint does have a nice patina for now!

Get the original seats and more importantly, the tail-lamp!
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 22:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Congrats and nice to see your scoot. Very much restorable and will look a real stunner once restored, although the paint does have a nice patina for now!

Get the original seats and more importantly, the tail-lamp!
Thanks Shyam. Good see you on the thread

Yes, the paint does have the shine till now. But it has started chipping off. Hope it will get restored the way i want it to be, wish me luck.

You are right dude, the Original Tail Lamps to enhance the looks of this beauty substantially. To let you know i am already behind "Pavan Anna" for the Tails lamps, Original Handle Grips etc.

Now, Time for the update: Today gave the scooter a good wash to ascertain that is there any other area like the floor board that is rusted badly.

By Gods grace nothing major on the body apart from the Flooring. Some rusting here and there. Hope this will help the denter to do his job with ease.

Removed the hideous Single Seat and fixed the Front Seat only for the time being, as the scooter is going in for Denting & Painting soon.

Question to fellow experts: Is the provision for the Mirror on the Handle Original or is it a modification ?

Bought the following today:

1. Seats (Front & Rear).
2. Wheel Rim.
3. Original Spaco Cable Set.
4. Front Mudguard Ornament, though not original but looks good. Can anyone help me getting the originall Fish ornament.
5. Minda Combination Switch.
6. Clutch & Front Brake Levers.
7. Gaskets for the Speedometer Housing (Clamshell).
8. Metal Flooring, the guy told me it is 19 Gauge. Seems to be very tough just like the scooters body.

As promised, some pictures which i clicked today:
Attached Thumbnails
Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02133.jpg  

Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02134.jpg  

Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02135.jpg  

Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02136.jpg  

Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02137.jpg  

Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02138.jpg  

Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02139.jpg  

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 31st December 2011 at 22:51.
Old 31st December 2011, 23:29   #13
BHPian

Some more Pictures. Was not able to upload them in earlier post:
Attached Thumbnails
Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02140.jpg  

Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02141.jpg  

Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02142.jpg  

Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02143.jpg  

Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02144.jpg  

Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02145.jpg  

Old 1st January 2012, 12:20   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Some more Pictures. Was not able to upload them in earlier post:

Wow Sanjeev, the progress is Brisk

If you are not able to get hold of the ORIGINAL meter, send me over the existing one.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 21:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Wow Sanjeev, the progress is Brisk

If you are not able to get hold of the ORIGINAL meter, send me over the existing one.
Thanks Pavan Anna. More Major Updates to share with you.

As discussed today morning, the Denting, Welding & Flooring started around 10:30 am today and finished ALL the above at 5:45 pm . Unfortunately forgot to take the Camera with me, so couldnt click pics of the process.

However, went again to the Garage, but it was dark there, everyone has gone due to Sunday. Clicked 2 Pics which i am sharing with you.

The Tinker did the flloring job with precision & denting was also very good & above all he was dedicated for my scooter today, as he was waiting for the spares of an accidental car to arrive, but it didnt happen. So i got lucky.

Now i need the following with your help:

1. Original Tail Light: Get me 2, i want to keep one in reserve.
2. Dicky Lock.
3. Original Clutch & Front Brake Levers.
4. Rubber Set.
5. Original front Mudguard fish.
6. Original Side Step: Vespa Written on it.
7. Badges & Stickers.
8. Original Vespa Chrome Rear View Mirror

Also, need guidance on selecting the paint. I will be going with the White Color, as it is the Original Color of the scooter. Let me know which paint brand to use.

Pavan, thanks a lot for helping me. if everything goes well and i receive the cosmetic items from you. The scooter will be ready by next weekend will be ready. But lets see how it goes..!!

Apologies if i have bugged you at a wrong time
Attached Thumbnails
Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02146.jpg  

Bitten by the Scooter Bug: My 1964 - Vespa 150-dsc02147.jpg  

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 1st January 2012 at 21:22.

Most Viewed