Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2012, 09:05   #31
BHPian

Re: From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle

I will let the experts decide and guide me on the year, model and other important information about my car. I hope one will volunteer to sum it all up and post a FINAL VERDICT soon! Meanwhile, I appreciate all the efforts and more pictures !!!
Attached Thumbnails
From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-cl-1.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-cl-2.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-cl-3.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-engine-1.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-engine-2.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-engine-3.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-mani.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-muf.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-push-out.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-steering-torsion-bars.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-rear-int.jpg  

Old 17th January 2012, 10:05   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srivathsa_Satya View Post
I will let the experts decide and guide me on the year, model and other important information about my car. I hope one will volunteer to sum it all up and post a FINAL VERDICT soon! Meanwhile, I appreciate all the efforts and more pictures !!!
Dear Sri, your new found love is a Oct' 1971 manufactured model and the engine is a 1300/40HP one. Goes without saying that it came out of the Wolfsburg factory in Germany.
Old 17th January 2012, 16:50   #33
Senior - BHPian

There were a lot of beetles that were the 1300S series. These cars had the 1600cc engine, elephant foot tail lamps but didn't have the curved windshields. These came in the Early 70's. This was Also called the Beetle GT in some countries.

Regards

Indrojit Sircar

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 17th January 2012 at 17:06.
Old 18th January 2012, 13:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Siddharth, i still did not get your funda about Flat windscreen Super Beetles

And FYI, All 1972 Type 111 are Handomatics (Automatics)

Anyways, not the right place to discuss the above topic.

Satya, can we have some better engine pics and the RIGHT thing do do right now is Order for the Birth Certificate from the VW Museum. That gives the perfect info regarding your particular car.

See the below certificate of my Beetle and Bus, the specifications and my car are Bang on with most of the informations.

Special thanks to Kasli for gifting these to me
The certificates issued by VW museum in the case of classic VW's, Morris club registry UK in case of Morris minor etc are generated based on the Chassis(VIN) number given to them by the owner of the car.
In India ,as many may be aware many specimens of popular classic cars (read Minors,VW,etc) run not on their original RC books but books of other similar scrapped/destroyed cars which have been foisted on them for registration purpose.Obviously it will have the chassis number(VIN) of that book on it.These days even new blank VIN plates of classic cars are available on ebay,etc. So the info given by the certificate can be taken as that of the particular chassis number .If only the car is really having its original chassis number on it ,can one say with cent percent confirmity that it is the data of the same car.
I know of a particular MM Lowlite sedan from Tamilnadu which was converted to Tourer and an original scrapped tourer's RC was used at the time of Fitness.The owner took the effort of getting a Certificate from the UK registry and uses it as a trumpcard to prove that it is indeed a genuine Tourer.He even managed to sell it as a TOURER for a premium price to a novice buyer who still is under the impression he got a genuine Tourer.
I have seen VW's,minors,etc with their original invoice of purchase,etc.In such cases you can be more sure about its geneology.
By the way, I dont see any mention of the engine number in the Certificate.dont they mention it there?
Old 18th January 2012, 14:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
I dont see any mention of the engine number in the Certificate.dont they mention it there?
Hi Ajay oflate they have stopped mentioning engine no's in the certificates, for data protection reasons. But at the same time they do issue a letter stating that the Engine no provided is indeed the one which orginally came with the car. Previously they use to mention the same on the certificate itself. Please find examples of both the letter mentioning that the engine is original as well as Engine no marked on the certificate (this was issued to me in 2000).
Attached Thumbnails
From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-vw_bug_certificate-.jpg  

67Bug is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 14:37   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Hi Ajay oflate they have stopped mentioning engine no's in the certificates, for data protection reasons. But at the same time they do issue a letter stating that the Engine no provided is indeed the one which orginally came with the car. Previously they use to mention the same on the certificate itself. Please find examples of both the letter mentioning that the engine is original as well as Engine no marked on the certificate (this was issued to me in 2000).
Sorry missed attaching the letter. Please find the same below.
Attached Thumbnails
From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-engine-letter-s-khona-375.jpg  

67Bug is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 14:39   #37
BHPian

Hi Satya!!!

A nice car indeed.
Also one car in the pics of your car is troubling me continuously since your first post.
The green car seen in the background....
Is it a Hindustan 14? If yes please post some details/pics of the same as well.
Is that one available for sale?
With Best Regards,
Abhijeet.
Old 18th January 2012, 20:37   #38
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijosh View Post
Also one car in the pics of your car is troubling me continuously since your first post. The green car seen in the background....Is it a Hindustan 14? If yes please post some details/pics of the same as well.
Is that one available for sale?
With Best Regards,
Abhijeet.
That is a low light Morris Minor. Not for sale, in fact it changed hand in the last few months only.
Old 23rd January 2012, 22:19   #39
BHPian

Some calm after the storm?!!!! Thanks Abhijosh.

I had uploaded pictures of the Engine, Clutch, Ports, etc., etc., It did not attract / draw any reactions!

We are slowly and surely trying to work on the car. As I interpret, the car (06 on the production plate) came out of the Wolfsburg Plant in ‘Pastel White’ color! Then, we found some yellow on top, other shades and of course the dual color of blue and white on top! All the old paint was scraped off the car. Some tapping, some rebuild, weld and some reinforcing is under progress. As I mentioned earlier, there is no target set for completion, however, we are not laid-back about the finish date and never under pressure for periodic updates. Some pictures, self-expressing.
Attached Thumbnails
From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-stripping-paint.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-stripping-paint-2.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-tap-prei.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-bf-1.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-flr-pan.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-int-wld-wrks.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-flr-pan-2.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-r-win-re-bld.jpg  

Old 11th February 2012, 18:42   #40
BHPian

Hi, back after a break!

Restoration work is slowly and steadily progressing on my car. Most of the tinkering and body work is complete. We are doing some painting trails for color selection (1,2,3). Some pictures attached for your views, observations and comments. I have started to source for some replacement and missing parts for the car. I will probably post my requirement on the appropriate thread.
Attached Thumbnails
From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-under-fender-paint-scraping-img_0230.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-rear-suspension-img_0241.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-rear-supspension-img_0243.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-fender-prep-img_0237.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-color-trails-img_0218.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 11th February 2012, 20:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

To me the first one is looking good, period and non glam perfect look. I would suggest go with that.
Old 22nd January 2013, 15:10   #42
BHPian

Any progress? It has been close to a year since.
Old 24th January 2013, 09:58   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton View Post
Any progress? It has been close to a year since.
Hi

Thanks, for asking !!!

It is dragging and crawling! I am slowly but surely getting to the finish line. Too many things happened and I decided to concentrate on completing the job and then post!
Old 24th January 2013, 10:20   #44
BHPian

Great, updating this thread shouldn't take away from the actual job at hand.

God speed!
Old 8th January 2016, 06:24   #45
BHPian

Hi Sathya,
Just came across this thread. How is this car doing?

Also, I want to clear up some mis-information in the thread for future readers.

1. This would be a model year (MY) 72 (as stated by others)
2. This is not a US model - most likely a French model (note ID plate is in French, no US style larger tombstone taillights with side reflectors, nor larger US front turn signals)
3. Superbeetles came with flat windscreen in MY '71 and '72 -- they were labelled 1302. Engine sizes were 1200 in 1302A, 1300DP in 1302, 1600DP in 1302S and LS. Btw, I have a '71 super.
4. Very few beetles came with Automatics (marketed in the US as autostick). Not true that all 111's (normal beetles with torsion bar suspension) came with Automatics. Most were manuals.
5. The French ID plate has some idiosyncracies -- for example -- most ID plates I've seen just have 2 number following Typ -- ie. Typ 11 or Typ 15. Yours has Typ 117AB1. I'm not sure yet what the remaining characters signify. 11 is sedan. 15 is convertible.
6. The z-link compensation linkages used in the rear were only for the later swing-axles models. VW did not import any swing axles beetles to the US after 68. Keep the z-link mechanism when you restore the car.

Do post pics of the car. Good to see another one being saved. Happy to chat with you if you need ay other info.

Byas
71Convertible is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed