Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 19:52   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 1946 Ford Anglia Restoration

A really superb resto there! Congrats! A bit , I first thought this is in Delhi seeing the first couple of pics. until I read your location in your avtaar!

Now that I know this is in Madras, I hope this didnt have a very large extent of corrosion before restoration? Any before pics.?

It looks like the early Anglias are relatively rare, compared to the Prefects, which I've seen quite a number of (my father had one too)

Incidentally, if this was a Madras car originally, was one of the previous owners of this car a film producer named R S Mani? He was the FIL of one of our family friends who told me that the gent too had a Ford Anglia like this until the early 70s, when he sold it for Rs. 800/-!!

Looking forward to seeing more pics.!
Old 10th February 2012, 20:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic restoration work there! Attention to detail is outstanding. Looks like it just rolled out of the showroom. And appreciate your resisting the temptation to go bling!
Old 10th February 2012, 21:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

I am neither an expert in vintage cars nor do I know anything about restoration, but from the pics; I can say you have done a fantastic job. The attention to detail is very much evident from the overall finished outcome. One of the best looking vintage cars that I have seen in recent times. Congrats and keep up the good work.

Only one request buddy: The photos could have been taken on the service road, instead of the busy 3 lane highway that we see. I hope you did not endanger yourself or anyone else while you were taking the photos. Drive safe and be safe.
Old 10th February 2012, 23:08   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a beautiful restoration job done Ford 1946.The attention to detail is quite praiseworthy. It shows that every nook and cranny of the car has been done up exactly as it was, when new.The interiors or exteriors? Which is more attractive to look at? A very difficult question, but looking at the dash and meters is a pleasure.The clock adjuster is so well laid out and the meters - one can never get tired looking at the pictures for many many minutes.
The dash design and a few meters were I believe common for the Prefect and the Anglia.The Anglia during its hey days, had the two door Standard Eight (Flying Spur), Morris Eight (two door) as its competitors.
Do post more pictures of your car. The engine bay pictures are still to appear.
Old 11th February 2012, 11:58   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Goodness, I'm not one to post in the Vintage car section, yet I was when I saw the pictures in the opening post.

The car looks so unbelievably simple & classy. This is definitely a benchmark for restorations, heartiest congratulations to you & the hard work that's gone into this car
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 14:21   #21
BHPian

Good Job. Loved the paint and the 'cute and curvy' dashboard. Could you also upload a pic of the steering wheel please

And, do you happen to have the pics taken before the restoration ?
Old 11th February 2012, 15:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Wow, what a brilliant restoration . The car has come out so neat. I like Anglia's more than the Prefect and Pop models (which are more common), I think the grills play that wow factor for me. Hat's of to you and yor restorer.
Old 12th February 2012, 11:50   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this your Anglia btw?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...1-img_9994.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...1-img_9938.jpg
Old 12th February 2012, 14:36   #24
BHPian

hi!i think that is very preety restoration job.Hats off to your passionate work and i love the pure metallic color.is this a 10hp car?
Old 12th February 2012, 20:57   #25
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

The more I see the pictures of the car, I am convinced that the head light alignment is not right. It is looking down instead of straight. Guess in the night when you switch on the head lights, it will feel that you are on in low beam all the time.

Picture so the car in the rally
1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-img_9938.jpg

Another car from the net
1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-ford.anglia.bristol.750pix.jpg
File:Ford.anglia.bristol.750pix.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I stand to be corrected

Cheers

KPS
Old 13th February 2012, 01:58   #26
BHPian

Hello again, Stanher, although the car is in Madras now it spent most of its time in Bangalore ,Rajasthan and Delhi as it was owned by an Airforce officer. Hence there was not much rust. Yes that is the same car at the rally. That was only the second time that I had taken the car out and it was quite an experience. I did try uploading some more photos yesterday but had a problem, am back home on Wednesday and will try again.

W.A.G.7, point taken. I made sure that I did not get in anyone's way. That is our so called IT highway in Madras and most of the traffic is on the opposite side of the road at that time of the morning.

GTO Thank You, coming from senior people like you that means a lot.

Piyush, yes this is a 10hp engine. The Anglia E494A came with a 8hp engine but the export version was renamed E493 OA/B for right hand drive cars and had a 10hp engine. They also had the same dash and meters of the Prefect.

KPS, yes I noticed that also from the photos the first day but the funny thing is that when looking at the car it does not look like the left headlight is tilted down, will have to check on it.

Will post some more photos when I am back.
Ford 1946 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 11:23   #27
BHPian

Here are a few more photos.

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-01.jpg

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-02.jpg

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-03.jpg

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-04.jpg

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-05.jpg

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-06.jpg

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-07.jpg

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-08.jpg

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-09.jpg

1946 Ford Anglia Restoration-10.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 15th February 2012 at 16:01.
Ford 1946 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 21:40   #28
BHPian

hi,your anglia is next only to perfect.well if you are interested then i know a guy who have a piston set with ring (fomoco make)for your anglia 10hp.pls let me know if you require 1 set.

Piyush, yes this is a 10hp engine. The Anglia E494A came with a 8hp engine but the export version was renamed E493 OA/B for right hand drive cars and had a 10hp engine. They also had the same dash and meters of the Prefect.
Old 29th March 2012, 10:40   #29
BHPian

[quote="piyush shah"]hi,your anglia is next only to perfect.well if you are interested then i know a guy who have a piston set with ring (fomoco make)for your anglia 10hp.pls let me know if you require 1 set.

Piyush, thanks but not now, if I do need them I will contact you.

Ford 1946
Old 29th March 2012, 12:39   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford 1946 View Post
Thanks for all the compliments, the paint work was not the original as the previous owner had painted it twice and it was a light grey when I got it. I chose the present colour as in the words of Henry Ford " you can have any colour as long as its Black"
The painter also did not think that it was necessary to go down to the metal, he only said that the preparation had to be done well or the new paint would react with the old causing a cracking effect, something which happened in places and had to be redone.
As regards the battery, it is now a 12v system although we have kept the meters and trafficators on 6v by using a step down circuit.
I guess I was lucky with this car as most parts are easily available from the UK. All the rubber parts and tyres along with a fuel pump and hub caps I got from Small Ford Parts UK. The next place where most parts which are no longer manufactured can be found is on EBay UK. Sometimes parts are at a fraction of the price that you pay for at the store.
Good restoration, lovely car ! Great job done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks