Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 13:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Very Rare Side Valve Ponton 180 1955 - Restoration Project

There is not much info on Side Valve Pontons on the net. What was the production period before they moved to the OHV and then the OHC engines ?
Old 10th April 2012, 13:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
There is not much info on Side Valve Pontons on the net. What was the production period before they moved to the OHV and then the OHC engines ?
Full specifications and production data is on this link.

Mercedes-Benz Ponton Overview and Production Data © www.mbzponton.org

Mercedes-Benz Pontons (1953-1962) © www.mbzponton.org is the most comprehensive website on Pontons.

@ Amol: It too thought that all the early 4 cyl cars had no quarter windows and didn't notice that this car has them. Maybe they were installed later?

Regards
mbz180

Last edited by mbz180 : 10th April 2012 at 13:59.
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 18:14   #18
BHPian

Congats, Saurabh on the Ponton acquisition.
I'm sure with your heart and soul put into it,
it will turn out a lovely car . All the best !
Old 11th April 2012, 11:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Congats, Saurabh on the Ponton acquisition.
I'm sure with your heart and soul put into it,
it will turn out a lovely car . All the best !
Thank you Sir! Its been a long time. I am trying to do my best on this one too. But this one is going to be a tedious time and money consuming restoration.

Cheers!
Old 12th April 2012, 00:17   #20
BHPian

i salute you for attempting this restoration from the pics i think this is going to be a hell of a tough job good luck
sierrakamat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 14:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

I don't know anything about restorations, but from the pics, I can see that restoring the body is going to be one tough job. The engine restoration looks like easier compared to the body.

All the best for the restoration, it will be nice to see the end result and the car running on the road.
W.A.G.7 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 19:13   #22
BHPian

HI Guys

Some slow and steady progress on this one. Its been an uphill task to get the parts. Lots have been fabricated for the engine alone. The engine oil and water galleries were all jammed and it has been a challenge to clean them all.

But Mr. Tutu Dhawan never looses patience with such a project!

Every piece, bit by bit has been put together and the engine is now finally ready!

The only challenge now is to get the right starter motor for this engine - if any one can help I will be greatly obliged! Please help me find one.

Here are the latest pics of the developments on the engine.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
My Very Rare Side Valve Ponton 180 1955 - Restoration Project-1404537350315.jpg  

My Very Rare Side Valve Ponton 180 1955 - Restoration Project-1404537350510.jpg  

My Very Rare Side Valve Ponton 180 1955 - Restoration Project-1404537350730.jpg  

My Very Rare Side Valve Ponton 180 1955 - Restoration Project-1404537350966.jpg  

SA7VA5 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 12:26   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

SA7VA5, would this be the oldest Ponton in the country? I've seen very few of these early cars, never seen a side valve car. I think there is a very early car at the Udaipur garages. Have you seen any other side valve cars?

Have you ordered a 'birth certificate'? I believe for Pontons it should be available.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 13:16   #24
BHPian

HI Karlosdeville

I guess it must be a very rare and old car. No I havent ordered the birth certificate for this car. Because I dont know how to do it! If you know how it is done or some one else on this forum knows please let me know and I will do it.

I have seen many Pontons but never a side-valve engine which makes it so rare! Mr. Dhawan who is restoring it for me has also never seen one ever while he has worked on innumerous Pontons. No one in the Vintage circuits here in Delhi seems have seen one or know of one yet.

Or may be its just that I havent yet come across the owner who has another one. But for sure it was a very rare find by chance. Luck by chance

Once again - any help on the starter motor will be really appreciated!

Cheers!
Old 24th July 2014, 11:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
HI Karlosdeville

I guess it must be a very rare and old car. No I havent ordered the birth certificate for this car. Because I dont know how to do it! If you know how it is done or some one else on this forum knows please let me know and I will do it.
Cheers!
Hi SA7VA5,

As someone who's been researching just this one series of Mercs for the last 14 years (and my own car, a 180a, is still not ready!), internationally, Pontons sedans are not rare at all. The most valuable are the 220S & 220SE cabriolets (the latter being fuel injected) and far behind in value are the 220S and SE coupes.

While many do not consider the 190SL to be a Ponton because of it's beautiful 300SL type body, technically it is a Ponton underneath, sharing uprated drivetrains and mechanicals from the 190 sedans. The 190SL's have been setting record prices in the past few years in international auctions. So if one considers them Pontons (I do),then they are by far the most valuable.

The fuel injected 220SE sedans are the most sought after in the sedan line up followed by, not the 220S but the 220a which was a precursor of the 220S.

As far as the 4 cylinder sedans are concerned, none of them are rare (again talking in the international perspective). However, as you rightly say, in comparison to other sedans, fewer of the 180 side valve models (the engine is a carryover from the 170 series) are known to survive compared to the later OHC cars. Merc used the 180 side valve engine as the OHC engine was not ready in time for the launch of the car. Although both the 180 side valve and the 180 diesel (the latter having a much longer production life) were both slow-ish cars which struggled to attain their modest top speed, customers in post-War Germany and Europe didn't mind since these cars were still amongst the best that was available and large numbers were sold.

Coming back to India, side valves are indeed rare. One has been up for sale in Calcutta recently, restored a few years back. There is another one rotting in Calcutta as well, but it is property of an erstwhile royal estate and will likely rot to the ground.

For the birth certificate of your car, as long as the car's title is in your name, you can send a mail to the MB Classic Center and obtain one for a charge of $100. Here's the link:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/enthusiast/classic_center

I'm also posting the link to the Ponton webpage that shows the exact production data for Ponton models:

http://mbzponton.org/valueadded/other/overview.htm

For the starter motor, I would strongly suggest that you join the International Ponton Owners Group (no charge) and you will likely get a lot of help from the forum members and obtain a starter motor for your car.

Here's the link to the forum:

http://mbzponton.org

Hope this helps.

Regards

mbz180
mbz180 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 11:11   #26
BHPian

Thanks mbz180!

I will definitely try the links and come back to you soon enough.

So with such extensive research that you have done I guess the conclusion is that the the side valve Pontons are indeed rare in India! And that does give the motivation to slog after getting this one to full glory.

Cheers!

Old 11th June 2015, 19:00   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear All

Very recently I have procured a very rare 1955, 180 Ponton with a side valve engine.

The vehicle is in a bad shape but am quite positive that will the help and support of all the people and their contacts on this forum I will be able to restore it to glory.

Cheers!
How is the restoration project progressing? Please could you share an update with pictures please. Thanks. - Narayan
Old 11th June 2015, 21:56   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Once again - any help on the starter motor will be really appreciated!
I'm sure you have seen this article before but just in-case you haven't here's some information on the starter motor -> http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/...rter_motor.pdf

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks