Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2012, 19:25   #16
BANNED

Re: 1969 Mercedes W114 Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post
Epoxy base?

Need a hydraulic ram or a screw jack to push out the pistons-Just a wild thought.

Lucky you. Jokers here charge a bomb and make a hash of everything.
Here's the link for epoxy primers..

Epoxy Primers - Epoxy Red Oxide Primer, Zinc Chromate Yellow Primer, Epoxy Zinc Phosphate Primer and Zinc Rich Primer Supplier & Manufacturer

The engine is stuck so badly that , we tried to give it a good tug with a towing truck, whatever lubricating solvents we could put into the combustion chamber we have done, still not much of effect
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 11:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
The engine is stuck so badly that , we tried to give it a good tug with a towing truck, whatever lubricating solvents we could put into the combustion chamber we have done, still not much of effect
Don't the crank may break. Why don't you just open it up and overhaul it. Will be cheaper in the long run.
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 14:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Here's the link for epoxy primers..

Epoxy Primers - Epoxy Red Oxide Primer, Zinc Chromate Yellow Primer, Epoxy Zinc Phosphate Primer and Zinc Rich Primer Supplier & Manufacturer

I agree completely with Amol. Do not use such force to turn the engine. If solvents and reasonable heavy torque has not worked, open up the engine. Remember, if the crankshaft does break, there is a possibility of bending or breaking a connecting rod too. And I don't know what the configuration of this engine is, but if the camshaft is turned by a chain (timing chain) then that will snap too.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 5th June 2012, 15:24   #19
BHPian

Pavan, please dont even think further. The engine has obviously jammed and any short cut attempts will ruin it. These are such simple engines to strip and re build. Find a good machine shop and let them do the job.Otherwise you may end up with a ruined bore, pistons, con rods etc etc etc.Then a Nightmare. I have faced this type of jam with rust formation due to water entering the combustion chamber causing the rings to bind with the bore in a manner un imaginable.
Old 5th June 2012, 16:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, but are you nuts? You will do untold damage to the engine if not already done. Sometimes there are no stortcuts, why do you do tinwork to your car and then paint it? A moviewallah would have painted that Merc so well you would have thought its a concourse car. Only they do it to look good for the camera.
Similarly, you cannot escape opening up the engine, you may spoil the cylinder lining, you have to dismantle the engine.
A Hispano Suiza V12 engined car was rolled down the slope to start her up, that was the start of her deterioration and even the ace mechanic in Pune could not fix her up. That car then left India unofficially.

Cheers to a good job
harit
Old 5th June 2012, 17:07   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Don't the crank may break. Why don't you just open it up and overhaul it. Will be cheaper in the long run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
I agree completely with Amol. Do not use such force to turn the engine. If solvents and reasonable heavy torque has not worked, open up the engine. Remember, if the crankshaft does break, there is a possibility of bending or breaking a connecting rod too. And I don't know what the configuration of this engine is, but if the camshaft is turned by a chain (timing chain) then that will snap too.

Regards
Prithvi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Pavan, please dont even think further. The engine has obviously jammed and any short cut attempts will ruin it. These are such simple engines to strip and re build. Find a good machine shop and let them do the job.Otherwise you may end up with a ruined bore, pistons, con rods etc etc etc.Then a Nightmare. I have faced this type of jam with rust formation due to water entering the combustion chamber causing the rings to bind with the bore in a manner un imaginable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Sorry, but are you nuts? You will do untold damage to the engine if not already done. Sometimes there are no stortcuts, why do you do tinwork to your car and then paint it? A moviewallah would have painted that Merc so well you would have thought its a concourse car. Only they do it to look good for the camera.
Similarly, you cannot escape opening up the engine, you may spoil the cylinder lining, you have to dismantle the engine.
A Hispano Suiza V12 engined car was rolled down the slope to start her up, that was the start of her deterioration and even the ace mechanic in Pune could not fix her up. That car then left India unofficially.

Cheers to a good job
harit
eeks... ooopss... and thousand pardons

Though i did not persue this method vigourously, i plead forgiveness from the guru's. Thanks for all the input, though what i did was a little Tug and pull. After which i stopped and , Now the engine is being opened at "Racetech" I should be hauling the engine block and the head to the lathe before weekend.

Will keep the pics flowing and ask for further help on the subject.
Old 6th June 2012, 16:51   #22
BANNED

Aahh...! its nice to see the Sheet metal work coming to a completion

Another week for the body tapping to end, later which my responsibility of the car ends ( As explained at the first post of this thread) I was given the responsibility of the sheetmetal work on the car and to get it in shape for the rest of the work to be done, later which the painting and other stuff will be taken care elsewhere.
Old 7th June 2012, 11:02   #23
BHPian

@Pavan,

Are you sure this is a W 114?

I have a feeling this was a diesel powered W 115, which at a later stage had the 6 cylinder engine installed. Why I feel this is so:

1. The speedometer is not a W 114 speedometer, all the shift markings point it to be a 220D speedometer. The W 114, model 230 would pull a 100 MPH in third gear and the speedo read to, if I remember correctly 140 MPH.

2. In your picture of the interior (with number 1433.jpg) I can clearly see the heater indicator for the diesel glow plugs.

If you are still using the diesel gearbox and final drive ratios then you'd better change those items too to really enjoy the thrust and smoothness of the 6 cylinder engine.

Any comments/opinions to my observations awaited.

Last edited by Alvis : 7th June 2012 at 11:09. Reason: correcting reference
Alvis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 11:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
@Pavan,

I have a feeling this was a diesel powered W 115, which at a later stage had the 6 cylinder engine installed. Why I feel this is so:
Wow! if your correct this may be one of those rare occasions where the engine was changed from diesel to petrol instead of vice versa. In India Meters are never an indication of originality as I have come across restorations especially Mercedes that had both petrol and diesel models available from the 50's sporting the wrong meters. A true test would only be a engine and chassis number that Mercedes can confirm is matching and original.

But great observation nevertheless.
Old 8th June 2012, 19:39   #25
BANNED

Quote:
@Pavan,

1. The speedometer is not a W 114 speedometer, all the shift markings point it to be a 220D speedometer. The W 114, model 230 would pull a 100 MPH in third gear and the speedo read to, if I remember correctly 140 MPH.

2. In your picture of the interior (with number 1433.jpg) I can clearly see the heater indicator for the diesel glow plugs.

If you are still using the diesel gearbox and final drive ratios then you'd better change those items too to really enjoy the thrust and smoothness of the 6 cylinder engine.

Any comments/opinions to my observations awaited.
Alvin my buddy, you are fantastic

Let me get the facts right,

1) I am restoring the shell of a W115 to be a W114

2) The engine and other stuff will be transferred from a W114 onto the W115 shell.

Initially my friend picked up a W114, but the body panels were beyond repair, almost dis-integrating , so we picked up a very clean W115 shell, We did a lot of research with the body style of the W114 vs the W115, every thing co-relates to the styling, only differences being the

1) Diesel engine + Gear Box + Diff's in the W115 - Which will be swapped from the W114

2) Headlights + Grille + Glasses + Seats + Suspension - Even these are swapped from the W114 to the W115.

And now the W115 will do a time-travel to become a W114 This is done only because the client wants a W114. Hope i am not doing any crime.
Attached Thumbnails
1969 Mercedes W114 Restoration-imag_1101.jpg  

1969 Mercedes W114 Restoration-imag_1175.jpg  

1969 Mercedes W114 Restoration-imag_1116.jpg  

1969 Mercedes W114 Restoration-imag_1178.jpg  

1969 Mercedes W114 Restoration-imag_1177.jpg  

1969 Mercedes W114 Restoration-imag_1346.jpg  

Old 8th June 2012, 21:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hope i am not doing any crime.
No crime done. However it would have been better to have told us the truth in the beginning.
kevinephraim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 14:30   #27
BHPian

Mystery Solved

From 2 near wrecks you end up with one good restored car. Fantastic!
Cheers! One for the Road.
basky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 14:34   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post
Mystery Solved

From 2 near wrecks you end up with one good restored car. Fantastic!
Cheers! One for the Road.
Agree totally on that, though i felt even that Green Merc was restorable, anyways i have no say on that.

The body work is almost done, couple of days, the car will leave the workshop for further works elsewhere, need to see how good it gets restored finally.
Attached Thumbnails
1969 Mercedes W114 Restoration-imag_2119.jpg  

1969 Mercedes W114 Restoration-imag_2120.jpg  

1969 Mercedes W114 Restoration-imag_2121.jpg  

Old 17th June 2012, 16:01   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Alvin my buddy, you are fantastic

1) Diesel engine + Gear Box + Diff's in the W115 - Which will be swapped from the W114

2) Headlights + Grille + Glasses + Seats + Suspension - Even these are swapped from the W114 to the W115.

And now the W115 will do a time-travel to become a W114 This is done only because the client wants a W114. Hope i am not doing any crime.
@Pavan,

There is no crime in saving a Merc!

There was no difference in the headlights, grille, glasses or seats in the W115 and W114.
The only difference was in the coil springs, which were changed to offset the extra weight of the six cylinder engine.

Keep up the good work and I am sure you will have a great car to enjoy.
Alvis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 09:50   #30
BANNED

Quote:
@Pavan,

There is no crime in saving a Merc!

There was no difference in the headlights, grille, glasses or seats in the W115 and W114.
The only difference was in the coil springs, which were changed to offset the extra weight of the six cylinder engine.

Keep up the good work and I am sure you will have a great car to enjoy.

My job ends here guys, I will be handing over the car back today. As the car owner is particular at getting the rest of the mechanical and cosmetic restoration elsewhere.

Complete Bodyshell restoration is done, its now left to see where it goes from now
Attached Thumbnails
1969 Mercedes W114 Restoration-imag_2169.jpg  

1969 Mercedes W114 Restoration-imag_2170.jpg  

1969 Mercedes W114 Restoration-imag_2171.jpg  

1969 Mercedes W114 Restoration-imag_2172.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks