Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2012, 11:43   #46
BHPian

Re: Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravipoll View Post
I need a windscreen for my Ponton, Millers price is something like $2000!!! Niemoller is a company that has quality parts, just last week got some from them. I would advise you to contact the Mercedes Benz Classic Center in Irvine, California (MBUSA) through their website and get in touch with someone called Tom Hanson. Should give you a better price.

Regards
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 19:24   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
I need a windscreen for my Ponton, Millers price is something like $2000!!! Niemoller is a company that has quality parts, just last week got some from them. I would advise you to contact the Mercedes Benz Classic Center in Irvine, California (MBUSA) through their website and get in touch with someone called Tom Hanson. Should give you a better price.

Regards
Prithvi
Prithvi,
Any idea/leads on procedures for shipment from US India ?
Old 10th October 2012, 10:14   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Prithvi,
Any idea/leads on procedures for shipment from US India ?
By shipment do you mean air or ocean shipping? If air then there's no problem but do not use USPS for a valuable and fragile item such as a windscreen. If you're buying from MBUSA, they ship via Fedex (expensive but the best) and MBUSA never undervalues so you will be charged duties which will be high, but this is the best method.

Ocean shipping is an option which on the whole will turn out to be cheaper but unless you have a very experienced and well connected CNF agent who will take care of all the paperwork for clearance at port in India, do not go this way. An IEC (Import/Export code) and a Trade License will be an added bonus. Since the article will be new it will pass physical inspection. But before you actually buy with the intent of using the ocean route, speak to your agent and go through everything in detail with them that the item will be cleared.

I had a nightmare in importing a roof for my car from the US so I know first hand!

Regards
Prithvi
Old 11th October 2012, 06:40   #49
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
they ship via Fedex (expensive but the best) and MBUSA never undervalues so you will be charged duties which will be high, but this is the best method.

Ocean shipping is an option which on the whole will turn out to be cheaper but unless you have a very experienced and well connected CNF agent who will take care of all the paperwork for clearance at port in India, do not go this way. An IEC (Import/Export code) and a Trade License will be an added bonus. Since the article will be new it will pass physical inspection. But before you actually buy with the intent of using the ocean route, speak to your agent and go through everything in detail with them that the item will be cleared.

Regards
Prithvi
I recently explored this option. Fedex quoted $1500 which did not make it economically viable. The other option is the shared container route by sea at around $600. These are by Mumbai based agents who specialize in transport household stuff of people who have been in short term assignment in US and are returning to India. You will pay based on the space you occupy in the container. The items will come by ship to Chennai Port and from there by lorry to Bangalore. Insurance will be a must as the risk of breakage would be there. Fedex is the best but very expensive

Cheers

KPS
Old 11th October 2012, 15:47   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
These are by Mumbai based agents who specialize in transport household stuff of people who have been in short term assignment in US and are returning to India. You will pay based on the space you occupy in the container.

Cheers

KPS
I was aware that returning citizens of India can transport their personal effects by sea though I didn't know that extra space in the same container could be used, by a friend say, for bringing in something else. I assume this will also be under the guise of personal effects of an Indian shifting residence to India?

Prithvi
Old 11th October 2012, 16:13   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was aware that returning citizens of India can transport their personal effects by sea though I didn't know that extra space in the same container could be used, by a friend say, for bringing in something else. I assume this will also be under the guise of personal effects of an Indian shifting residence to India?

Prithvi
I got some stuff through my sister on her returning back from UK. No customs and no extra charged to me. All was personal belonging .
Old 12th October 2012, 08:16   #52
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Prithvi
Small things will pass through with luck not by design. However large items could be check. Hence mentally be prepared to pay duty and hope that no one checks. Each person would have to declare what is being transported. The only pain is that items will have to be dropped off at a specific pick up point. I think they offer to pick up at a considerable cost.

Cheers

KPS
Old 19th October 2012, 11:13   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Small things will pass through with luck not by design. However large items could be check. Hence mentally be prepared to pay duty and hope that no one checks. Each person would have to declare what is being transported. The only pain is that items will have to be dropped off at a specific pick up point. I think they offer to pick up at a considerable cost.

Cheers

KPS
Sir Considerable cost is 10 times more than the product and its packing too is 15 times the price of the product Ravi has been making few arrangements for the glass to be air-lifted, hopefully it might come in soon.

Someone had asked for the pics of the car with its wheel trims, here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-imag_0932.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 11:30   #54
Senior - BHPian

Pavan sir, I have question,
does this car have a RHS rear view mirror? I see only the typical LHS mirror.(I believe this has to do with its origin? correct?)
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 21:41   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Pavan sir, I have question,
does this car have a RHS rear view mirror? I see only the typical LHS mirror.(I believe this has to do with its origin? correct?)

Yes, you are right. As the car was used initially in the United States the side rearview mirror was installed on the left side and a little further down the fender to provide for the angle of view. In 1967, even in the US, only the mirror on the passing side (overtaking side) was compulsory. I think later mirrors on both side became mandatory. In India we require one on the right side which has not been installed.
Ravipoll is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 18:20   #56
BANNED

A simple update.

Ravi managed to import the front Windshield for this Merc And the troubles he went through to get this shipped down makes up for the Joy after seeing it installed. Also we replaced the Faulty Steering Damper , and repaired the dripping Fuel pressure Regulator.

Next set of work to complete the car

1) Brake Booster replacement
2) Exhaust leak repair
Attached Thumbnails
Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-dsc05671.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-dsc05670.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-dsc05692.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-dsc05693.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-dsc05695.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-dsc05694.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-dsc05697.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-dsc05700edited.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 14:22   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As mentioned earlier in this thread, this car has been looked after with kid gloves. Well, there is one adolescent phase she went through:

My late elder brother, Ram, and Vicki Chandok were college mates in the 1970's in Chennai. Vicki was fully involved in motorsport, be it track or rally, and he had developed an indigenous racer built on a Herald chasis called the CAREX SPECIAL. In preperation, the Carex Special would be tested on the Sholavaram Race track with this car (yes, this beautiful Benz!) as the 'pace' car (whatever that means). This Benz has done power slides around the track, checked if the synchromesh gear box works ok , timed how long it takes to boil etc. However, couldn't check the max revs as it didn't have a rev counter. Vicki Chandok is now the President of FMSCI and may remember all this maasti.

After that period, my brother got his own Fiat car to mess around with and this car returned to the TLC days till it was garaged in 1994. Now Pavan has come by to give it its second lease of glory.
Hats off to you and your family for keeping this in such a prestine condition, whih I am sure partly must have bee due to you mom's love of the car, as well.

Ravi, I was often one of the hangers on at Sholavaram, inthe period you have mentioned. I do remember the Carex Special and the Benz pace car - and may have even met your late brother.

I am sure VC will remember all these. Coincidently I will be meeting up with him latter this week and shall definitely bring this up and shall show him the thread as well.

Since your PM is not active I am unable to send my contact details to you, but may be if you so wish, you can ask some one like Pavan Kadam - to pm me your contacts so that I can pass it on to VC, I am sure he would want to speak to you as well, after so many years it looks like.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Old 11th February 2014, 17:17   #58

Thank you Ram. Your mail brought back memories of Madras. This car is special to all of us in the family, it was bought when I was only 10 years old and in those days I was given pocket money by my Dad to wash and polish the car. Vicki should remember my brother , Ramchander, as they were pretty close.
Will keep you posted on further progress on the car.
Regards,
Ravi
Old 26th February 2014, 14:12   #59
BHPian

Ravi / Pavan

No more updates on the Black Beauty from 2 weeks!!? Still unable to believe my Eyes on the looks of this car which was lying idle for over 2 decades!
Would love to know if the Car's all Road worthy now with the Brake Booster & Exhaust Fixes.

Please do confirm if the Brake booster in this 67 model beast is on par with modern day cars?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks