Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2012, 11:26   #31
BHPian

Re: Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.

Amazing experience, this would be the best I have seen so far in terms of "Well Kept". Let me know if you need something from delhi, will be glad.....
911varun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 17:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

That's a fantastic car, in fact one of the best vintage cars I have seen on road. Wow...!! That's all I can say, speechless. It must be a dream come true for Ravi to see this car on road !
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 19:00   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911varun View Post
Amazing experience, this would be the best I have seen so far in terms of "Well Kept". Let me know if you need something from delhi, will be glad.....
Certainly Varun, thanks for the offer

I need the front windshield for this W110.. Can u please locate one for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
That's a fantastic car, in fact one of the best vintage cars I have seen on road. Wow...!! That's all I can say, speechless. It must be a dream come true for Ravi to see this car on road !
Its truly a Fantastic car, and a fantastic gesture came in from Ravi's side today, and i truly appreciate this. Thank you very much from me and on behalf of T-BHP

Here's what i received today.

Also, Ravi got himself a similar Scale model.

Most of the work on the car is now wrapped up, got the replacement Sealed beam, got the original horn to work.

PENDING WORK

1) Exhaust plumbing
2) Detailing the cars interiors and exteriors.
3) A long Test drive to ascertain its roadworthiness.
Attached Thumbnails
Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-imag_0426.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-imag_0427.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-imag_0430.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-imag_0433.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-imag_0431.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-imag_0432.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 11:36   #34
BHPian

This is a real beauty. Such cars freshen you up. These Mercs are immortal.

This car has a very nice shine and must admire the owner for keeping it so clean and in such a beautiful condition. Did these models have brake boosters?
wartikars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 00:30   #35
BANNED

Exterior & Interior Detailing

Now since 99% of the mechanicals are completed, we had discussions regarding detailing the Interiors and Exteriors, Nothing re-worked but getting rid of the Fungus formed on the upholstery. Oxidation on the paint.

I was contemplating on 3M while i remembered, Rather reminded by my friend Pradeep about Nirmal -ULTIMATE DETAILERZ

Results are here for us to see and i would love to have Nirmal put his valuable comments on this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-dsc03047.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-dsc03056.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-dsc03061.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-dsc03065.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-dsc03072.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-dsc03068.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-dsc03078.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-dsc03100.jpg  

Waking up a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200 - Videos added.-dsc03101.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 02:01   #36
BHPian

Re: Exterior & Interior Detailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Now since 99% of the mechanicals are completed, we had discussions regarding detailing the Interiors and Exteriors, Nothing re-worked but getting rid of the Fungus formed on the upholstery. Oxidation on the paint.

I was contemplating on 3M while i remembered, Rather reminded by my friend Pradeep about Nirmal -ULTIMATE DETAILERZ

Results are here for us to see and i would love to have Nirmal put his valuable comments on this thread.
Is that an Amway bottle in the 6th picture? Sorry if I am butting in, but what Amway product is used there? See Spray, for the windshield maybe?
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 16:14   #37
BHPian

That is just amazing! Except for those swirl marks, that paint job looks like it was done recently. Can't believe that you managed to make that reflection on a car that's been in storage for such a long time. Respect!
coloneljasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 18:01   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Now since 99% of the mechanicals are completed,
----------------------------

Awesome detailing job...!

Can you share what was done and how much it cost? (or send a PM)
AutoB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 09:02   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Is that an Amway bottle in the 6th picture? but what Amway product is used there? See Spray, for the winshield maybe?
Yes, thats an Amway bottle in the picture, they use it for storing & carrying around the products that they use as the bottles are supposed to be very durable & of good quality. Materials they use are all imported, from top manufacturers like Meguiars, Menzerna etc etc

Coloneljasi - It was discussed when we all met up that too much of paint should not be removed from the surface to maintain the originality as much as possible. Hence UD had suggested that aggressive compounding would not be done only just enough to get the gloss back safely.

UD team had worked on the car for 3 days in total restoring the exteriors and interiors - paint , chrome, dash, carpet, glass, rubber, plastic etc etc

Pics of the completed work coming up shortly, its a stunner
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 09:22   #40
BHPian

Awesome car, Cant believe my eyes that the car is with original paint. I must says Excellent product from MB, and what quality of paint, even after so many years it can put few new cars to shame. Amazing.
Old 20th September 2012, 15:31   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Is that an Amway bottle in the 6th picture? Sorry if I am butting in, but what Amway product is used there? See Spray, for the windshield maybe?
Yes I too thought it was See-Spray used for the glasses etc. until I read Pavan's reply.

Quote:
Materials they use are all imported, from top manufacturers like Meguiars, Menzerna etc etc
*Phew* Thankfully no Rin powder here, eh saar?

'love that wing mirror on the car btw!

Last edited by Stanher : 20th September 2012 at 15:32.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 14:10   #42
BHPian

Sorry for joining this thread now, but I've been inactive on bhp for a while. I must say that this really is the most original Fintail that I have seen in India. I couldn't believe my eyes at the number of genuine period MB accessories etc. in some of the pics! The paper fuse box legend is virtually intact (there were yellowish even when new) and even more amazing is that are still remnants of the engine valve cover paper decal. Truly incredible.

Pavan, when you said clutch type radiator fan I saw one pic of the fan that you posted and I did see some sort of clutch but what is the function? Great going on the work done already on the car; the inside of the carbs looked like it had caked red mud in it. Btw, has the engine been cranked and started? Please keep us updated.

Regards
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 21:00   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Sorry for joining this thread now, but I've been inactive on bhp for a while. I must say that this really is the most original Fintail that I have seen in India. I couldn't believe my eyes at the number of genuine period MB accessories etc. in some of the pics! The paper fuse box legend is virtually intact (there were yellowish even when new) and even more amazing is that are still remnants of the engine valve cover paper decal. Truly incredible.

Pavan, when you said clutch type radiator fan I saw one pic of the fan that you posted and I did see some sort of clutch but what is the function? Great going on the work done already on the car; the inside of the carbs looked like it had caked red mud in it. Btw, has the engine been cranked and started? Please keep us updated.

Regards
Prithvi
Prithvi you missed out on all the fun being away from T-BHP.

The clutch type radiator fan works on some thermal principle ( i am sorry for not being tooo technical ) When the engine is cold the Fan does not actually run, this allows the engine to achieve high temperature in a short span of time, once its heated up, the dissipated heat to the fan in-turn activates the clutch and the Fan starts to turn normally. This is what basic information i have.

Anyways, just go back a few pages in this thread, The engine is cranked, tuned and its now running on the road ( i have posted couple of videos too)
Old 5th October 2012, 21:15   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post

Regards
Prithvi
As mentioned earlier in this thread, this car has been looked after with kid gloves. Well, there is one adolescent phase she went through:

My late elder brother, Ram, and Vicki Chandok were college mates in the 1970's in Chennai. Vicki was fully involved in motorsport, be it track or rally, and he had developed an indigenous racer built on a Herald chasis called the CAREX SPECIAL. In preperation, the Carex Special would be tested on the Sholavaram Race track with this car (yes, this beautiful Benz!) as the 'pace' car (whatever that means). This Benz has done power slides around the track, checked if the synchromesh gear box works ok , timed how long it takes to boil etc. However, couldn't check the max revs as it didn't have a rev counter. Vicki Chandok is now the President of FMSCI and may remember all this maasti.

After that period, my brother got his own Fiat car to mess around with and this car returned to the TLC days till it was garaged in 1994. Now Pavan has come by to give it its second lease of glory.

To answer some of Prithvi's questions :
-Yes, the car has been started, and it needs some tuning.
-The 'clutch' type fan is sensor linked to a thermostat in the radiator which switches the fan to 'neutral' mode if the coolant temp falls. Also, it is essential in cold countries during winter to provide heating in the cabin. Not essential in tropical climates.

I have been trying to source a front windshield for the car. So far, I have identified the following sites:
1. www.millermbz.com
2. www.blueridgemb.com
3. www.niemoeller.de
There are many enthusiasts in Bangalore who are also scouring for the glass &
I would be most grateful for any help from the rest of India.
Ravipoll is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2012, 10:23   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravipoll
It
Do you know this car used 'white petrol' for some time ? No, not the adulterated stuff used by autorickshaws but it was 'premium' stuff dispensed only in select HP outlets.... it was the term used for HighOctane petrol. Without 'white petrol' these high compression engines would develop 'pinking' at higher altidudes (eg. Ooty)
What memories you evoke! White Petrol was the stuff of legend. Amongst other things, it was the only solvent used at the higher level Dry Cleaners too, which would have no adverse effect on delicate clothing!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks