Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2012, 09:17   #16
BANNED

Re: Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I meant the interior lights on the B and C pillars and importantly, the PAL monogram on the horn button of the steering. BTB is the steering original?
Oh, that, YES! They need to go. I am waiting to get my hands on original roof lamps for those. These were fitted by the earlier Mechanic (the ones on the C pillars are HORRENDOUS!!)

The horn cap needs the Fiat one. Looked everywhere for this. At one point, I came across someone in Hyderabad who was asking 5K for it! I needed some time to convince myself to go for the buy and when I finally did, it was sold :(

Yes, the steering is original.

Cheers,
Praveen
Old 21st October 2012, 09:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looked everywhere for this. At one point, I came across someone in Hyderabad who was asking 5K for it!
Wait this will come your way. Was there roof lamps, originally in C pillars in this model? Also fix original grab handles.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!-grabandle.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 21st October 2012 at 10:04.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 09:58   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome job, Praveen/CAC!
Although, if I might say this, I would've left the front grille and bumpers etc. as is rather than replate them, as from your photos they appeared to very much have their sheen and wouldve need just a polish job. The grille especially is made of Stainless steel so wouldnt need chrome plating. Unless it had some welding spot or such on it that marred its appearance.
Most of the electroplating jobs in many places in India are shoddy and arent done with the correct procedure (ie. copper plating first before the chrome plating), which results in the chrome tarnishing/rusting like there's no tomorrow within a span of as less as a year!
Worse still the chrome plating starts peeling off like film in many cases!! 'hope it stays intact on your car for long.
But from your side, you've done a fabulous job, next try and get a set of original hubcaps and WW tyres to add the final finishing touch!
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 10:13   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Wait this will come your way. Was there roof lamps, originally in C pillars in this model? Also fix original grab handles.
Hi Rajeev,

Eagerly waiting for the day!!

From what Kannan has told me, roof lamps came on the C Pillars.

FIAT EXPERTS: COMMENTS PLEASE?!

Thanks for reminding me about the grab handles! One question though. Were these simple handles just below the window frame or were these the leather straps (like the ones in Ambys)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Awesome job, Praveen/CAC!
Although, if I might say this, I would've left the front grille and bumpers etc. as is rather than replate them, as from your photos they appeared to very much have their sheen and wouldve need just a polish job. The grille especially is made of Stainless steel so wouldnt need chrome plating. Unless it had some welding spot or such on it that marred its appearance.
Most of the electroplating jobs in many places in India are shoddy and arent done with the correct procedure (ie. copper plating first before the chrome plating), which results in the chrome tarnishing/rusting like there's no tomorrow within a span of as less as a year!
Worse still the chrome plating starts peeling off like film in many cases!! 'hope it stays intact on your car for long.
But from your side, you've done a fabulous job, next try and get a set of original hubcaps and WW tyres to add the final finishing touch!
Thanks, Stanher!

I agree with you. The front grille and bumpers might have been fine with just a coat of polish. But the earlier Mechanic suggested that these (along with all other parts) be chrome plated.

As of now, the chrome seems to be holding up. Although, I have noticed a bit of rust on the inside of the front bumper, at one of the two places where its bolted onto the body :( Its not the bumper thats rusted per se, but the little piece of metal that holds it an ich or so in front of the body.

Yes, on the lookout for hubcaps and WWs, lets hope I can get my hands on these!

Thanks very much for your post.

Cheers,
Praveen

Quote:
Sorry, I missed the picture in your post. Wow, I NEED THOSE GRAB HANDLES!!

Were there anything for the front as well?

Thanks for the picture.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 21st October 2012 at 10:45. Reason: consecutive posts
Old 21st October 2012, 11:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Praveen, if you go through my car's thread. You will know about lot of original and period correct stuff. You call me any time to resolve any queries of yours.
Old 21st October 2012, 12:41   #21
BHPian

CAC444, amazing work done and what a transformation! Read your narration thrice!

One question: Is the non driver side rear wheel still a bit off center? Dont know if its the pics or the angle.

But what ever it is, congrats on being able to fulfill your childhood dream!

Cheers!
Old 21st October 2012, 13:18   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
CAC444, amazing work done and what a transformation! Read your narration thrice!

One question: Is the non driver side rear wheel still a bit off center? Dont know if its the pics or the angle.

But what ever it is, congrats on being able to fulfill your childhood dream!

Thank you! Glad that you enjoyed the narration.

Yes, the non driver side rear wheel still is a bit off center and has a bit of a wobble too. Kannan says its a faulty hub and asked me to leave it alone for the time being.

Cheers,
Praveen

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Praveen, if you go through my car's thread. You will know about lot of original and period correct stuff. You call me any time to resolve any queries of yours.
Thanks, Manish.

Will go through your thread in detail. Have done a quick pass on it but will do a detailed read-up. I'm sure I will pick up a lot of interesting things that I didn't know!

Cheers,
Praveen
Old 21st October 2012, 14:19   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC444 View Post
Thanks, Stanher!

I agree with you. The front grille and bumpers might have been fine with just a coat of polish. But the earlier Mechanic suggested that these (along with all other parts) be chrome plated.
Thats the problem with these guys!! Many of them have absolutely no common sense sometimes, making us unnecessarily spend on things that dont need/deserve it! And in the process ruin those things well in the long run.

My mechanic wouldnt recommend something like this but even otherwise I wouldnt listen, knowing the quality of the chrome plating here! If it gets rusted beyond maintenance, I'd rather go for a replacement than replating job.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 14:30   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Thats the problem with these guys!! Many of them have absolutely no common sense sometimes, making us unnecessarily spend on things that dont need/deserve it! And in the process ruin those things well in the long run.

My mechanic wouldnt recommend something like this but even otherwise I wouldnt listen, knowing the quality of the chrome plating here! If it gets rusted beyond maintenance, I'd rather go for a replacement than replating job.
I agree with you. But I just recollected that the inside of the bumpers were quite rusted (especially the rear one), although on the outside they remained OK. Maybe the chrome plating was needed for the bumpers. But the grille could certainly have skipped chrome plating. I am sure Kannan would have recommended just a coat of polish for the grille.

EDIT: Even for the rusted bumpers, the guy should have simply replaced them! :/

Anyway, I am now a bit more educated about this than I was when I bought Vinty thanks to both the mechanics in their own ways!

Last edited by CAC444 : 21st October 2012 at 14:36. Reason: Missed adding a point. Thought it would be better to edit than posting a new post.
Old 21st October 2012, 20:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi Praveen!!
Just went through your thread - congratulations on a fantastic achievement!! Vinty's looking like a million bucks. Lovely lines, and fabulous paint job.
Hope you do find the missing bits soon enough, and get her in 'Concourse' condition - where she's certainly headed!
Manish is right, your grille currently has a thick border - like that on a Super Select grille. The original Select grille must have a thin border, which is essentially not separate from the grill body, it is cast together in one piece. Also, there should be no 'FIAT' monogram on the grille. In fact, if you can source the very hard to find 'Millecento' logo in plastic, it will take your car's originality up by several notches!!
Check this picture of a very Oh-Ree-G-Nal Select I got from the net. Although this one's an LHD, she's a great example.
Wishing you many many miles of happy motoring with Vinty!!
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!-1100-original.jpg  

Last edited by SuperSelect : 21st October 2012 at 20:12.
SuperSelect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 21:01   #26
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC444 View Post
I was happy to know that my childhood dream was complete! Vinty was ready to hit the roads of Bangalore!
Cheers,
Praveen
Congrats on completing this project and wish you many miles of joy. The other Fiat Guru's have given their expert opinions (I am no Fiat expert) however since I am still the brick and motar guy, I have a simple solution for this badly smudged badge

Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!-20120923_102006.jpg

Use a thinner and clean this up. Mix some red paint & Araldite apply evenly and you will get a nice looking badge. You need to work on a trial an error basis before you get the adequate consistency of paint and Araldite mix. All the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Manish, most of us are disappointed you keep quoting your thread but there is no progress on your car!. May be you should take a tip from Praveen how to complete the car. In my opinion being perfect always is a waste of time. Be practical and finish your car. As a long time vintage owner, I can tell you the joy is in driving around. So move it and get your car running. Bring it to stock is a journey not the destination so originality can be achieved over a period of time.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 21:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Great way to fulfill your dream, enjoyed the writeup & those lovely pics. Must say Vinty (please share the reason behind this name) looks absolutely stunning in black.
Vinty is from vintage, I believe? Sounds nice and a great name to a classic car like this.
Great restoration. I respect your love for this great classic and the way you made it shine. Many happy miles on this great classic.
subratasenn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 21:26   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Hi Praveen!!
Manish is right, your grille currently has a thick border - like that on a Super Select grille. The original Select grille must have a thin border, which is essentially not separate from the grill body, it is cast together in one piece. Also, there should be no 'FIAT' monogram on the grille. In fact, if you can source the very hard to find 'Millecento' logo in plastic, it will take your car's originality up by several notches!!
Check this picture of a very Oh-Ree-G-Nal Select I got from the net. Although this one's an LHD, she's a great example.
Wishing you many many miles of happy motoring with Vinty!!
Dear SuperSelect,

Thanks for your kind words.

You're right. After reading Manish and your posts, I did a bit of look up online and confirmed that the thick border came with Super Selects. Plus, a dear friend of mine has a immaculately maintained SS in Mysore and I requested him to send me a photograph of his car - thick border once again! Plus it had a FIAT logo on the grille.

I have a question though. If the FIAT logo wasnt there on the Select, what was there? Will a Millecento logo be there on the grille of a Select???

PS
Old 21st October 2012, 21:28   #29
BHPian

HI there,

This is one awrsome thread and a restoration project upon reading it once felt really nostalgic. I can understand how you feel as I hhad also gone through the same. wil reread it again once I am back home, as would like to experience the nostalgic feeling again. Congratulations for the same and thanks for sharing your story with us.
Regards

Sushil Narayanan
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 21:30   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Use a thinner and clean this up. Mix some red paint & Araldite apply evenly and you will get a nice looking badge. You need to work on a trial an error basis before you get the adequate consistency of paint and Araldite mix. All the best

Manish, most of us are disappointed you keep quoting your thread but there is no progress on your car!. May be you should take a tip from Praveen how to complete the car. In my opinion being perfect always is a waste of time. Be practical and finish your car. As a long time vintage owner, I can tell you the joy is in driving around. So move it and get your car running. Bring it to stock is a journey not the destination so originality can be achieved over a period of time.

Cheers

KPS
Dear KPS,

Thanks for your kind words and especially for your tip on how to fix the smudged badge! I will try this at the earliest possible! Thanks very much indeed!

Regarding Manish taking a tip from me, all I can tell him is directions to LCK Garage! I am still a novice when it comes to Fiats and am learning almost on a daily basis since my joining Team-BHP a few days ago!

Cheers!
PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
HI there,

This is one awrsome thread and a restoration project upon reading it once felt really nostalgic. I can understand how you feel as I hhad also gone through the same. wil reread it again once I am back home, as would like to experience the nostalgic feeling again. Congratulations for the same and thanks for sharing your story with us.
Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Dear Sushil,

Thanks very much for your response! It is very encouraging to see that people loved reading about the project as much as I loved writing it!

Cheers,
Praveen

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Vinty is from vintage, I believe? Sounds nice and a great name to a classic car like this.
Great restoration. I respect your love for this great classic and the way you made it shine. Many happy miles on this great classic.
Dear Subratasen,

Yes, Vinty is short for Vintage I am happy that you liked the name, it (the name "Vinty") is something very close to my heart!

Thanks very much for your kind words,

Best regards,
Praveen

Last edited by karlosdeville : 22nd October 2012 at 10:42. Reason: Consecutive posts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks