Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2012, 22:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC444 View Post
I have a question though. If the FIAT logo wasnt there on the Select, what was there? Will a Millecento logo be there on the grille of a Select???

PS
Hey - in Selects, the 'FIAT' logo is on the Bonnet trim - like Vinty rightly has. It is not there on the grille. The grille is supposed to have the 'Millecento' font, as seen in the picture I've posted.
However, most Indian Selects did not have this 'Millecento' font, as I believe it must've simply fallen off or been vandalized!!
Even if you can get one made in plastic, it'll look wonderful.. Maybe you can have it on only for rallies / meets, and keep it home safely at all other times.

Super Selects have the 'FIAT' logo on the grille, and NOT on the bonnet trim.

Last edited by SuperSelect : 21st October 2012 at 22:12.
SuperSelect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 23:14   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Hey - in Selects, the 'FIAT' logo is on the Bonnet trim - like Vinty rightly has. It is not there on the grille. The grille is supposed to have the 'Millecento' font, as seen in the picture I've posted.
However, most Indian Selects did not have this 'Millecento' font, as I believe it must've simply fallen off or been vandalized!!
Even if you can get one made in plastic, it'll look wonderful.. Maybe you can have it on only for rallies / meets, and keep it home safely at all other times.

Super Selects have the 'FIAT' logo on the grille, and NOT on the bonnet trim.
You're right. The SS that my friend has in Mysore has the FIAT logo on the grille and not on the bonnet trim. This is his car.

Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!-photo-3.jpg

Also, regarding the SS grille moustache that my car seems to have grown :P.... Here is the photograph of the grille assembly when it returned from electroplating.

Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!-dsc_8714.jpg

Clearly, the moustache is an added extra it seems. What Manish and you are saying is, just the grille in the photo (without the two pieces on the top and bottom, which collectively make up the moustache) is what the Select came with. And of course, without the Fiat monogram. Right?

Thanks for this information!

I will try and look for the Millecento monogram.

Cheers,
Praveen
CAC444 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 23:35   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But I just recollected that the inside of the bumpers were quite rusted (especially the rear one), although on the outside they remained OK.
A coat of 3M anti-rust or zinc primer would've done the job, unless there were holes beginning to appear in the bumper, which would've indicated deeper rust. And in which case, many times rechroming doesnt solve the problem as the corrosion still remains so the part still rusts through eventually.

Quote:
You're right. The SS that my friend has in Mysore has the FIAT logo on the grille and not on the bonnet trim. This is his car.

Clearly, the moustache is an added extra it seems. What Manish and you are saying is, just the grille in the photo (without the two pieces on the top and bottom, which collectively make up the moustache) is what the Select came with. And of course, without the Fiat monogram. Right?
Correct. Plus the grille on the select is completely different from the SS grille, as you can make out in the pics. The SS grille is incidentally thicker and slightly tougher compared to the select grilles.

Last edited by Stanher : 21st October 2012 at 23:38.
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:42   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
A coat of 3M anti-rust or zinc primer would've done the job, unless there were holes beginning to appear in the bumper, which would've indicated deeper rust. And in which case, many times rechroming doesnt solve the problem as the corrosion still remains so the part still rusts through eventually.

Correct. Plus the grille on the select is completely different from the SS grille, as you can make out in the pics. The SS grille is incidentally thicker and slightly tougher compared to the select grilles.
There were no showstopper rust areas on the bumper, certainly no holes beginning to appear. We could have easily managed with anti-rust coating. Anyway, I did learn a lot as i said from both mechanics I am a bit more informed now about my car.

Regarding the grille, do you think I should "shave" the moustache off?!?! I'm not sure if they are holding the grille in place, will have to check that.

Also, when I bought the car from the first owner, it had the fuel filler door. Manish and I were discussing about this and he mentioned to me that Selects came with a fuel filler cap with a lock in it. However, he did mention that it might have been that mine was one possible one of the last few Selects produced so some parts might have come from the newer Super Selects. Is this a possibility? Would this also explain the mush on the grille?

Praveen
Old 22nd October 2012, 17:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Manish, most of us are disappointed you keep quoting your thread but there is no progress on your car!. May be you should take a tip from Praveen how to complete the car. In my opinion being perfect always is a waste of time. Be practical and finish your car. As a long time vintage owner, I can tell you the joy is in driving around. So move it and get your car running. Bring it to stock is a journey not the destination so originality can be achieved over a period of time.

Cheers

KPS
I am so sorry for that, but soon the car will be back on roads, I had very busy these days with work. But December being normally free due to Christmass, I would get more time to devote to my car.

Quote:
Dear SuperSelect,

Thanks for your kind words.

You're right. After reading Manish and your posts, I did a bit of look up online and confirmed that the thick border came with Super Selects. Plus, a dear friend of mine has a immaculately maintained SS in Mysore and I requested him to send me a photograph of his car - thick border once again! Plus it had a FIAT logo on the grille.

I have a question though. If the FIAT logo wasnt there on the Select, what was there? Will a Millecento logo be there on the grille of a Select???

PS
Praveen,

There are two cars in Bangalore (1959 - 60) who sport ELEVENHUNDERD scripted platstic logo on the front grill. So probably that was the one that used to come on Indian cars but we do not have any confirmation on that, it may also be an accesory and not mandatory option, MILLICENTO script grill badge on ITALIAN fiats is well documented. Some guys have bought MILLICENTO script grill badge from ebay.it and have installed on the indian cars.

I am looking forward to find an ELEVENHUNDERD scripted platstic logo to go with my car. If not available then probably fabricate it.
Old 22nd October 2012, 20:50   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on owning such a beautiful Fiat. You have restored her amazingly well, so much so that she looks like you bought her new from a showroom . Having restored a rusty Jeep, I know the effort that goes into this kind of a job. The only thing keeping you going is L-O-V-E. You have my respect for this level of attention to detail

Hope you have garaged parking. If not, be sure to use a body cover.

Drive safe man.

*Rates thread a fully deserved 5 stars*
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 21:04   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats on owning such a beautiful Fiat. You have restored her amazingly well, so much so that she looks like you bought her new from a showroom . Having restored a rusty Jeep, I know the effort that goes into this kind of a job. The only thing keeping you going is L-O-V-E. You have my respect for this level of attention to detail

Hope you have garaged parking. If not, be sure to use a body cover.

Drive safe man.

*Rates thread a fully deserved 5 stars*
Dear GTO,

Thanks very much for your kind words and for rating the thread so! You're right, its the love for such cars that keeps you going whilst you work on the rather long journey called Restoration.

Actually, I do have a garaged parking. However, I STILL use a body cover inside the garage or outside in the driveway!! Like so!

Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!-20120923_102859.jpg

Cheers and thanks once again,
Praveen
Old 22nd October 2012, 21:08   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I am looking forward to find an ELEVENHUNDERD scripted platstic logo to go with my car. If not available then probably fabricate it.
Manish,

When we meet, lets talk about this. Kannan had fabricated the Fiat 1100 logo (on the boot lid) for me. If we can agree on a font and dimensions, I could ask his help to get this done for us in Plastic.

Cheers,
Praveen
Old 22nd October 2012, 21:25   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the grille, do you think I should "shave" the moustache off?!?! I'm not sure if they are holding the grille in place, will have to check that.

Also, when I bought the car from the first owner, it had the fuel filler door. Manish mentioned to me that Selects came with a fuel filler cap with a lock in it. However, he did mention that it might have been that mine was one possible one of the last few Selects produced so some parts might have come from the newer Super Selects. Is this a possibility? Would this also explain the mush on the grille?
I'm not sure if the SS 'moustache' and 'lower lip' can be taken off the grille at this stage...the 'moustache' does have fitting screws on the inside IIRC so if they havent made holes into the existing grille and surrounding metal, then its ok to take them off I guess. First time am seeing this kind of combo though!

Reg. the petrol tank lid, yes the selects did come with an externally visible filler pipe with a locking lid, even manish's car did. None of them came with the flap as on the SS though AFAIK, all were just owner conversions. So were the many selects fitted with complete SS grilles which were considered better (stronger)
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 22:32   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hey Praveen - I'm inclined to agree with Shyam. The fuel filler lid must've been a later conversion, like many Select owners did. Try to get hold of the original cap, though it may not be advisable to fit it now - you could possibly keep it for the distant future - if and when you need to do a touch-up job..

Also, do check if the moustache is removable. I feel the basic grille itself may have the mounting screws. If possible - do get the moustache removed, it'll work wonders for the car's looks!!

And if you do manage to fabricate a 'Millecento' script in plastic - it'll be the icing on the cake.

Good luck!!
SuperSelect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 22:43   #41
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Here are some pics of Fiat 1100 Select.

Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!-copy-dsc01254.jpg

Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!-dsc00731.jpg

Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!-dsc00732.jpg

Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!-dsc00769.jpg
Karthik1100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 22:58   #42
BANNED

Quote:
if they havent made holes into the existing grille and surrounding metal, then its ok to take them off I guess.

Reg. the petrol tank lid, yes the selects did come with an externally visible filler pipe with a locking lid, even manish's car did. None of them came with the flap as on the SS though AFAIK, all were just owner conversions.
Thanks Stanher for the clarifications. I will check the grille tomorrow and see if the surrounding metal can be removed.

Reg the petrol tank lid, I guess this was a conversion by the previous owner :( I found a guy in Hyd selling the filler cap with lock. Asked Kannan about re-conversion from fuel door to fuel cap. He suggested that I leave it along for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Try to get hold of the original cap, though it may not be advisable to fit it now - you could possibly keep it for the distant future - if and when you need to do a touch-up job..

Also, do check if the moustache is removable. I feel the basic grille itself may have the mounting screws. If possible - do get the moustache removed, it'll work wonders for the car's looks!!

Good luck!!
Dear Super Select,

Yes, thats the plan. I will get the filler cap and keep it with me. Lets see when it will get on the car! For now, I guess I'll go with Kannan's recommendation of keeping the fuel filler door as it is.

Cheers,
Praveen
Old 22nd October 2012, 23:01   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
Here are some pics of Fiat 1100 Select.
Karthik!

Thanks a MILLION for these photos! EXACTLY what I needed!!! Especially the close up shot of the ELEVEN HUNDRED monogram is perfect for me to get them made! I will measure the size (using the number of grill holes it covers) and get it fabricated in BRASS. I guess that'll look closest to the original?

Anyone with any better ideas of what metal/non-metal I could use?

Cheers and thanks once again, Karthik!!
Praveen
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:11   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Reg the petrol tank lid, I guess this was a conversion by the previous owner :( I found a guy in Hyd selling the filler cap with lock. Asked Kannan about re-conversion from fuel door to fuel cap. He suggested that I leave it along for now.
Even I would suggest you leave it the way it is for now as you've just done up the car but do go for the fuel filler cap with lock now, if it is the original one!!
Your mechanic obviously doesnt seem to know the value of such rare, original items. At a later stage when it's feasioble to do up the car or just this job again, you'll be glad you bought it, as these are rare as hen's teeth now!
Just check if it is indeed the original one, someone did post pics. of it on team bhp (am too lazy to search for them at the moment! )
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:03   #45
BANNED

Quote:
do go for the fuel filler cap with lock now, if it is the original one!!
Dear Stanher,

Thanks for this.

I have been in touch with a guy in Hyderabad who has a few spares. Here are the pics. Good enough?

Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!-dicky-lock.jpg

Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!-fuel-cap.jpg

Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!-glass-beadings.jpg

Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!-roof-lamps.jpg

Also, he is charging 1500 for the fuel cap, dicky lock and roof lamps. I asked him for a set of front and rear glass beadings for which he is quoting 4000 (set of front and back). I also asked him for a set of 4 wheel caps. He said he just sold a set of 4 (steel) caps for 10,000.

Is it a rip off or do these things cost this much?

Cheers,
Praveen

Most Viewed