Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2012, 13:23   #61
BANNED

Re: Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!

Thanks a lot for your kind words!

Yes, the horn button needs to be "Fiat". I am looking for one such piece and will get the "PAL" one (that was installed by the previous owner) replaced as soon as I can find one!

Cheers,
Praveen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip27in View Post
The car looks immaculate! We had the same car till 1988! Your car made me nostalgic, took me back to those years so easily.

One thing I would like to suggest, change the Horn button to " FIAT" if possible. I suppose that's the original fitment for the car.
Old 25th October 2012, 19:12   #62
Senior - BHPian

@ CAC444 - Beautiful car - superb resoration do you have a picture of the ignition key? I would to see the picture of the ignition key.

@ Ravi - can you share a picture?
Old 25th October 2012, 19:37   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
@ CAC444 - Beautiful car - superb resoration do you have a picture of the ignition key? I would to see the picture of the ignition key.

@ Ravi - can you share a picture?
Thanks planet_rocker!

Will send you a photograph of the ignition key next week as I am travelling till Tuesday. Although, I dont think its anywhere close to the original. I am using whatever the previous owner handed over to me.

Praveen
Old 25th October 2012, 20:31   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC444 View Post
Thanks a lot for your kind words!

Yes, the horn button needs to be "Fiat". I am looking for one such piece and will get the "PAL" one (that was installed by the previous owner) replaced as soon as I can find one!

Cheers,
Praveen
I think I have a FIAT one lying at home. As luck would have it - I am looking for a PAL one for one of my Presidents
Old 26th October 2012, 11:46   #65
Senior - BHPian

my PP's ignition key is not OEM 'JAY", but i got something, which i fell in love with. take a look.

Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!-dscn1748.jpg
Old 26th October 2012, 12:23   #66
BHPian

Quote:
my PP's ignition key is not OEM 'JAY", but i got something, which i fell in love with. take a look.

Attachment 1005803
I have a president who's original locks were also Magneti Marelli - they were later changed to USHA.

I guess JAY was not the only OEM.
CrackedHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 13:28   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
I have a president who's original locks were also Magneti Marelli - they were later changed to USHA.

I guess JAY was not the only OEM.
Ahem! Yes JAY was not the only OEM supplier of ignition keys.

My Grand pa's 1987 Padmini and my 1988 Padmini came with JAY keys. I switched the oem keys to Magneti Marelli. Grand pa's Padmini still has the JAY keys.
Old 26th October 2012, 14:22   #68
BHPian

Re: Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100! [PART 2 of 2]

Quote:
PART 2 of 2

With all this done and with a coat of polish, I was happy to know that my childhood dream was complete! Vinty was ready to hit the roads of Bangalore! Here she is just rolled out of LCK Garage!

As of now, I am enjoying driving Vinty almost 3 days a week!

Cheers,
Praveen

What a great transformation! That first pic with the car all polished in black really opened up my eyes (literally, very boring day in office ) and I was hooked to go through your entire restoration story.

I like the dual tone colour combo of the seats and door pads. The interiors look fresh, airy and a comfortable place to be in.

I'm don't know much about classic Fiats, but as someone pointed out, I think removal of the new interior lamps on the C and B pillars would be good, but then I suppose if you do that, it'd leave holes in the ceiling lining.

Were reversing lamps fitted to these cars? Even if it is an addition, it's quite practical to have them. This is the only thing that I can spot.

The flowing manner in which you've narrated the story of the restoration made me feel that the job was finished in days but obviously not because it's a great job and Vinty looks brilliant

Prithvi

P.S. Pardon my ignorance, but what is an air pump?

Last edited by mbz180 : 26th October 2012 at 14:31.
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 16:22   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1005803
Does it says Globe Auto on the other side ? If yes then its most probably from the Premier President era as IIRC Selects/SS/Delights came with Magneti Marelli scripted on both sides of the key.
Old 26th October 2012, 17:00   #70
BHPian

Being a FIAT fanboy, it was half an hour of excitement that gave me goose bumps, and hours of eye drooling..
What an outcome Praveen, excellent job, hats off to you. One question: what was the total cost incurred?
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 00:51   #71
Senior - BHPian

Best!! Best!! The final result pics are droolmal indeed. Fantastic job at restoring a Fiat back to it's glory!! The black colour looks fabulous and the shine of the colour is itself worth a thousand words! The car reminds me of our first car a white Premier Padmini; and has brought back many fond memories of our car.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 12:20   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Best!! Best!! The final result pics are droolmal indeed. Fantastic job at restoring a Fiat back to it's glory!! The black colour looks fabulous and the shine of the colour is itself worth a thousand words! The car reminds me of our first car a white Premier Padmini; and has brought back many fond memories of our car.
Thanks a lot! Our first car too was a White Premier Padmini Deluxe BE and driving Vinty sure does bring back fond memories of our dear Premier padmini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Being a FIAT fanboy, it was half an hour of excitement that gave me goose bumps, and hours of eye drooling..
What an outcome Praveen, excellent job, hats off to you. One question: what was the total cost incurred?
Hi Ashish,

Thanks for your kind words! Well, the total cost was about 6 months and a million visits to the mechanics

Cheers,
Praveen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
I'm don't know much about classic Fiats, but as someone pointed out, I think removal of the new interior lamps on the C and B pillars would be good, but then I suppose if you do that, it'd leave holes in the ceiling lining.

Were reversing lamps fitted to these cars? Even if it is an addition, it's quite practical to have them. This is the only thing that I can spot.

The flowing manner in which you've narrated the story of the restoration made me feel that the job was finished in days but obviously not because it's a great job and Vinty looks brilliant

Prithvi

P.S. Pardon my ignorance, but what is an air pump?
Hi Prithvi,

Thanks a lot for your comments

Yes, I am going to leave the B and C pillar lamps on till I get the original ones. My first priority is to get rid of the rather hideous C piller tube lamps! I am getting a set of roof lamps from a slightly later Fiat to replace what I currently have.

Fiat Selects did NOT come with reverse lamps. These were fitted by the previous owner and I have left them there, though they dont work

The Air Pump is a system that blows air into the cabin. This consists of an Air Hopper with a fan in the bonnet which ensures air flow even when the car is not moving.

Cheers and thanks once again for your kind words.

Praveen
CAC444 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 19:42   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fiat Selects did NOT come with reverse lamps. These were fitted by the previous owner and I have left them there, though they dont work
Why??! It only ruins the authenticity of these cars! That they arent working would be more than good excuse to throw them off for good!

Or was it another suggestion from your good ol' mechanic to leave em on??!
Old 29th October 2012, 23:00   #74
BANNED

Stanher,

To be quite honest, it IS indeed the Cos_My_Good_ol_Mechanic_Said_So syndrome! :(

Those lamps will come off the moment I get back to Bangalore! Do I get the holes (left by the removed rear lamps) welded and painted?

PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Why??! It only ruins the authenticity of these cars! That they arent working would be more than good excuse to throw them off for good!

Or was it another suggestion from your good ol' mechanic to leave em on??!
Old 29th October 2012, 23:11   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Those lamps will come off the moment I get back to Bangalore! Do I get the holes (left by the removed rear lamps) welded and painted?
Unfortunately you will have to! A pity you didnt come across this forum BEFORE you got the car done up! You could've been advised better!

Or else if you'd rather not meddle with the bodywork for now, let the minor 'imperfection' stay on until you get the car done up next. But be sure to have them taken off for good then!

Last edited by Stanher : 29th October 2012 at 23:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks