Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2012, 12:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Wow very nice and quick restoration Sid, as I can't see too much on my iPhone will look at the pictures in detail a little later when I get on to another screen. Congratulations and the very best!
Old 26th October 2012, 13:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle

Sid,

A very nice restoration, the paint job is absolutely smashing. Please remove the horrid looking front cloth cover on the front.
Old 26th October 2012, 14:40   #18

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 26th October 2012 at 19:38.
Savin_Shetty is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th October 2012, 14:46   #19
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulation on restoring your dream car. Can you share pre-restoration pictures of the car.

Bangalore too boasted a beautiful super beetle which unfortunately was sold on to North. That car was most original and attached is a picture of the car, for your reference.

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-vin.jpg

Cheers

Subbaiah

Last edited by KPS : 26th October 2012 at 14:47.
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 15:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Some more miscellaneous pictures. Enjoy !!
Wow! I really enjoyed watching the pictures of such a lovely, bone stock original super Beetle, the interiors are so well done, she really looks like rolling out of the showroom, AC fitting is so nicely done that you didn't move any thing even the coil which is usually changed from shroud to the firewall in case of AC-great man, I am in love, think this is the only super Beetle in the country with such high levels of detailings and originality.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 26th October 2012 at 15:37. Reason: Punctuation
Old 26th October 2012, 17:08   #21
BHPian

OMG, this is one of the best restorations I have come across. Kudos to you Bug.. How much did the work cost you?
Old 26th October 2012, 17:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

WOW!! Hats off 67bug!! Possibly the best beetle ive seen. Congrats on the beauty. Im sure the resto was no easy job, but all the effort put in is shining through! PLease post the pre resto pix too.

Also, is the front bumper original? And the AC, is it possible to get say a more retro looking blower? This one takes away from the beauty of the interior.
Old 26th October 2012, 18:21   #23
BHPian

Bunch of guys on the forum requested me to send across pictures of the Bug in a pre-restored state...which means just before it was picked up. So, here you go and see it for yourself what a human expertise can do....as they say teamwork can move mountains what is a bug
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-img00012201112021505.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-img00013201112021506.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-img00014201112021507.jpg  

67Bug is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 18:24   #24
BANNED

A very good restoration Sid,

The car looks good, cant say about it being the ORIGINAL spec, as i feel there are few small things that the car needs to loose, Those american spec bumper stone guards, The nose bra, front spoiler below the bumper, the NON Super Beetle Indicators on the Fenders should go too, inside blower, and that chrome on the rear vents.

As you mentioned, its impossible to restore 100%, i think once you get there, this Super Beetle will definately be a Super One

All the best for that.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 26th October 2012 at 18:27.
Old 26th October 2012, 18:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Cosmetically a very good beetle.The interiors are really excellent.
But I think Sidharth, you seemed to have made some changes in the engine bay area.
What happened to the air hoses which come from either side of the fan shroud.
Also I see no Pierburg fuel pump.The Coil has been placed upright which is the otherway round in beetles. Also the air filter looks different from the usual Mann/Knecht types.
Old 26th October 2012, 18:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Cosmetically a very good beetle.The interiors are really excellent.
But I think Sidharth, you seemed to have made some changes in the engine bay area.
What happened to the air hoses which come from either side of the fan shroud.
Also I see no Pierburg fuel pump.The Coil has been placed upright which is the otherway round in beetles. Also the air filter looks different from the usual one seen in super beetles
Yes we had to do certain modifications to accommodate the A/C compressor due to complete lack of space in the engine bay unlike my bay window where there is ample of space to accommodate a 2x in size compressor. The original air filter does not fit anymore. There is no place for fuel pump now so have a electrical one fitted. Will check on the Bosch coil though.
Old 26th October 2012, 19:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
A very good restoration Sid,

The car looks good, cant say about it being the ORIGINAL spec, as i feel there are few small things that the car needs to loose, Those american spec bumper stone guards, The nose bra, front spoiler below the bumper, the NON Super Beetle Indicators on the Fenders should go too, inside blower, and that chrome on the rear vents.

As you mentioned, its impossible to restore 100%, i think once you get there, this Super Beetle will definately be a Super One

All the best for that.
Thanks Pavan for your kind words. Appreciated. I would not like to lose the hood bra or the overriders. The bra prevents chips & scratches on the paint. The front spoiler has been fitted as my evaporator is right below the hood and the spoiler will protect it. Moreover due to the evaporator there are holes on the front apron and spoiler helps the dust from accumulating out there. As for non-super Beetle fender indicators let the original brochure for RHD 1303 - Super beetle speak for itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscn1381.jpg  

67Bug is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 03:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

Great car buddy . The restoration has been simply amazing and one of the best till date. Some during the restoration pics ? Also wanted to know any overheating issues with the A/c ? Where have you placed the condenser and what make is the compressor? Looks like a sanden ?

I would think you should just detail the interiors and you are ready to go. And i would think that the electric fuel pump will be far better in the long run in my opinion.

Next time i am in Bombay i want a ride.
Old 27th October 2012, 10:11   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thought of sharing with all of you pictures of my freshly restored 1974 RHD curved windshield Super Beetle.
That's a lovely car Sid, congratulations. The colour has turned out spot on for a Beetle of this era. I would have lost the whitewalls and chin spoiler, though I love the overriders.

How long did it take you from start to finish? If possible do share details on the restoration process as it occured, it would be useful to many readers like myself.

I have an amateur question - the 1303 is a 1300cc engine and the 1303S is a 1600?

Happy motoring.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 12:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
freshly restored 1974 RHD curved windshield Super Beetle.
She's looking good, Sid! The before and after pics speak volumes.

It's very difficult to find the overriders, the square clock and a NOS headliner in such good nick. You are very lucky.

Personally I'd have used thin whitewalls, and installed either a Kamei spoiler or these overriders, but thats just me.

I'm glad you got rid of the porsche style whale's tail rear spoiler seen in the before pics
I'd suggest to retrofit the bra with tensioner cables (like on the the original VW part) to make it look more "skin tight"

As you know, I'm a strong advocate of the mechanical fuel pump, since it is much safer. It pumps just enough fuel that the engine can consume.
An electronic fuel pump can sometimes flood even a freshly rebuilt carb and this can be disastrous on a VW.
If you must use the electric fuel pump, pls ensure that you take care of the following, to make it a little bit safer :

1. The pump is rated for 2-3 psi, and definitely not more than 4.
2. If it has a pressure relief valve, nothing like it.
3. Most important : wire it through a relay connected to the ignition system so that the pump shuts off when the engine is not running but the ignition key is still at ON.
thebulletboy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks