Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2013, 14:52   #1

Need Help with parts for my MK1 Volkswagen Golf

Dear All,

Hi, this is my first post on Team-Bhp.
I just bought myself a 1978 VW Golf Mk1 (1100cc) LHD, from this Gentleman who had kept it like his baby. The car is been driven about 2 lac+ kilometers, and was a weekend ride for past 4-5 years untill it landed in my hands. The engine runs totally fine and has a deep note for firing. To make sure it is constantly in running condition, i drive it carefully to office daily as my office is about 6-7 Kms from my house.
I need to replace certain parts of the car, hopefully with genuine ones. Please try and help me out with some information regarding the following:

The Brake master cylinder:
My car was the first of the MK1s .. the braking mechanism came with NO servo / brake-boosters. The master cylinder directly rests on the chasis and is directly linked to the brake pedal.

I tried finding the part in Mumbai, and even succeeded in getting one, just to realise the brake cylinder dia as well as the fitment doesn't match. it looked exactly same as the one in my car but didnt fit. This is making me feel scared to order it online, as after all possible hassle that i'd happily do for the car, what if it doesn't match??
I need you to suggest me some reliable supplier in either Delhi / Gurgaon / Mumbai, where i can take my master-cylinder and buy a matching one.
Repairing the component was tried, and guys in delhi (mayapuri / kashmiri gate) too gave-up.
Specs: 20.6 mm dia master cylinder, without servo. oil reservoir needed. No electricals linked to it.
Master cylinder is of utmost priority to me

Apart from Master-cylinder, kindly guide me as where i can get the following parts:
  • Electrical wiring set
  • Logo (Volkswagen and GolfGL)
  • silver lining border that MK1 Golfs usually had
  • Solenoid switch repair/replacement for the ignition key (currently managing with a button start after the key ignition).
  • Radiator-repairing guy
  • last but not least, Place where i can buy the original shade paint, as during a repaint about 3 years back, the paint-job guy messed it up in quality as well as shade. I am attaching a current pic of the car, it should explain what color i am hinting to.
P.S: For Master-cylinder and electrical wiring set, i'd urge for a source from whom i can buy directly. For other things, even internet links are welcomed.

My apologies if in case this post seems a bit demanding /lengthy/troublesome as I am residing with my car in Gurgaon, and i am quite new to NCR as a whole.. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help with parts for my MK1 Volkswagen Golf-sdc11541.jpg  

Old 17th February 2013, 19:07   #2
BHPian

Re: Need Help with parts for my MK1 Volkswagen Golf

Nice Golf
Have you tried Ritilal & Co in Mumbai? They specialize in parts for older air-cooled Beetles but might have some parts for your Mk1.

If you can't get the parts locally, order online. For my dad's 1978 VW Bus we have had to order most parts online and have never had any problems with the parts not matching.

vwheritage.com has Mk1 parts. busdepot.com specializes in VW Bus parts but also has lots of Mk1 Golf/Rabbit parts .
RandomUsername is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 13:56   #3

Thanks a lot for the info! I tried this garage at Ness Baug in grantroad, but they seemed to be of almost no help as according to them, i need to get the vehicle along.
vwheritage.com has the required component, but its for golfs post 1984.
I'll surely try Ratilal & Co on next visit.
thanks again!
Old 18th February 2013, 21:23   #4
BHPian

The V dub seems to be in a superb condition. My friend here in pune also got a super example just days back. More pictures would be appreciated.
Old 19th February 2013, 10:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oMK1ar View Post
Dear ..............bought myself a 1978 VW Golf Mk1 (1100cc) LHD,..................need to replace certain parts of the car, hopefully with genuine ones. ........................
Hi! I have some experience in getting 1st gen Polo parts normally not easily available, in Germany. This guy works in a dealership, and trawls through all sorts of possibilities to get parts. Once you cross 25 posts, you can send a PM with your engine and chassis no, he located the Polo parts based on this info. Hopefully no alteration has ever been done, thats when you get trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
The V dub seems to be in a superb condition. My friend here in pune also got a super example just days back. More pictures would be appreciated.
Please put up some pictures of your friends car too

Cheers harit
Old 19th February 2013, 14:02   #6
BHPian

Yes Sir I will surely post some pics, in fact the owner is a silent member of Tbhp. So i guess i will ask him to do the honours himself.
Old 24th February 2013, 15:22   #7

Hey thanks a lot Harit! that seems so be a good option.. i'll PM you regarding the details of this person as soon as i am eligible to PM! And yeah.. No alterations have been done whatsoever to the car, except a locally fitted silencer, but i'm sure its got nothing to do with the braking hydraulics.
Thanks again!

Thanks Shreeram.. ya i'll post some more images after the car is back from a bit of touch-up and denting. I'd love to see images of your friend's car too. Is it the one in white diesel one with RHD???
Old 24th February 2013, 18:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oMK1ar View Post
Thanks Shreeram.. ya i'll post some more images after the car is back from a bit of touch-up and denting. I'd love to see images of your friend's car too. Is it the one in white diesel one with RHD???

Nope it is a maroon rhd with a sunroof.
Old 1st May 2013, 22:58   #9
BHPian

Looks like It's in a really Good condition! Congrats!
I also purchased a similar car last month,an mk2 Jetta and I am wondering where to get parts.
any idea?(contact numbers if possible as I'm all the way in Goa )
My parts list starts with:
1.windscreen (as mine cracked badly and require a Good new one for night driving, not used)most urgent!
2.original locks and doors handles
3.round head light grill
Condition isnt great but I could drive it without a problem from Bangalore home, to Goa with an amazing 30kmpl !
Dee_aRe_Cee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 23:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am a big Golf fan specially he Mk 4 and i have owned a Mk3 for some time, i love Mk1 but i have never laid my hands on one, i would love to help you i am in UK rite now let me know if i would be any help
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 13:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
Nope it is a maroon rhd with a sunroof.
Oh great! would love to see that in pics.
Pls try to share it with us, am sure it would be a delight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee_aRe_Cee View Post
Looks like It's in a really Good condition! Congrats!
I also purchased a similar car last month,an mk2 Jetta and I am wondering where to get parts.
any idea?(contact numbers if possible as I'm all the way in Goa )
My parts list starts with:
1.windscreen (as mine cracked badly and require a Good new one for night driving, not used)most urgent!
2.original locks and doors handles
3.round head light grill
Condition isnt great but I could drive it without a problem from Bangalore home, to Goa with an amazing 30kmpl !
Hey. I know a person who has scrapped his MK2 Jetta RHD just last month!
Kindly go to this place in Kurla called 'cst road'
Ask for Javed automobiles ('Dawood chacha ki dukaan'). Easiest way to locate him would be searching for some classic mercedes or audi being dis-assembled.

He has exactly what all you need up there!
all the best, and pls do post pics of your beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
I am a big Golf fan specially he Mk 4 and i have owned a Mk3 for some time, i love Mk1 but i have never laid my hands on one, i would love to help you i am in UK rite now let me know if i would be any help
Hi, and thanks a lot desideep!

co-incidentally i just got some parts delivered through vwheritage in the UK!
But thanks for your support, i'm surely going to bug you in near future regarding suggestions or guidance regarding certain parts

Last edited by karlosdeville : 27th October 2013 at 09:57. Reason: Consecutive posts
oMK1ar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 14:03   #12

Thanks everyone, for your support.
I tried to figure out is there any way to refurbish the emblems and logos, especially the ABS and plastic ones.
soon realized there isn't any way to mend it, and probably ordering was only way. to top all this, the realization that its not available even online (except some sites with exorbitant pricing), tried using some basic skills and support from some friends, this is what i landed up with!

-got the emblems removed carefully, washed, cleaned with soft emery paper.
-2 coats of matte black paint and carefully profile-cut 3M chrome stickers (sourced from friends, plotted using A-i on scanned images)

result seems sweet! cant wait to put it back on the car!
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help with parts for my MK1 Volkswagen Golf-wp_20130821_001.jpg  

Need Help with parts for my MK1 Volkswagen Golf-wp_20131026_002.jpg  

Need Help with parts for my MK1 Volkswagen Golf-wp_20131026_001.jpg  

oMK1ar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 18:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

WOW! That is an excellent way to salvage badges made of plastic. How will you stick it back? I guess by using some kind Automotive 2 Way tape. And was it entirely a DIY? If so, excellent work done.

P.S: A really lucky guy you are, for you have got one of my most favourite hatches ever, the VW Golf MK1. I am into German Classics BTW, the W111 being the all time favorite..
Old 26th October 2013, 22:17   #14
BHPian

I got most of spares from vwheritage . Before ordering make a list, you save on shipping cost. Like to see more profile photos. Special thanks for showing way to chrome the emblem.
Old 27th October 2013, 23:32   #15

@Fintail
thanks a lot
yes its a complete DIY with no external support except the paint shop guy who painted it black

Most Viewed