Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 20:26   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restoration of MDN 6494 ('55 Millecento) - In remembrance of my Father

Good Evening Dr. Kannan, sir, honestly; if you are to decide for a specific color then go for the exact shade as your car had earlier. By going for any other color its true identity will be lost. A replica of your original dream car is worth a million then making it pleasing with other shades. Any other shade will make the car look good but the original red will bring back the memories and its glorious past to life. Your priority for this car should be your guiding light. Just make sure its mechanically sound in all respects as suggested.

thanks

AD
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 12:30   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Good Evening Dr. Kannan, sir, honestly; if you are to decide for a specific color then go for the exact shade as your car had earlier. By going for any other color its true identity will be lost. A replica of your original dream car is worth a million then making it pleasing with other shades. Any other shade will make the car look good but the original red will bring back the memories and its glorious past to life. Your priority for this car should be your guiding light. Just make sure its mechanically sound in all respects as suggested.

thanks

AD
Thank you so much Mr. AD for your concern and advice. Will defiantly try to have the same color retained for my millecento. The only hurdle I need to cross is to convince my daughter on this. hope i can do that, but she wants the maroon color for the car, let me see what I can do on this.

Any way thanks a ton.

Another request Mr AD, Is it possible to get me a pair of the wiper blades and arm for my 1955 Millecento from anywhere there in Delhi? I was able to procure the later models arms and blades but not the ones for the mille. This request is for all the Fiat Family Members.

I have posted the pictures of the particular blades & arms.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of MDN 6494 ('55 Millecento) - In remembrance of my Father-download.jpg  

Restoration of MDN 6494 ('55 Millecento) - In remembrance of my Father-download-2.jpg  

Restoration of MDN 6494 ('55 Millecento) - In remembrance of my Father-download-3.jpg  

Restoration of MDN 6494 ('55 Millecento) - In remembrance of my Father-download-1.jpg  

Old 13th September 2013, 17:01   #93
Senior - BHPian

Dear Dr Kannan do not focus on things like wiper blades etc they can always be replaced at a later date when you get the correct ones. I will try to see if anything comes up in Mumbai.

I had another suggestion as far as colour goes. Since you are leaning towards Metallics. Why don't you go for the regular Burgundy with a extra coat of clear coat hard laquer. It will give you the shine that you are seeking from metallics without swaying away too much from originality. I tried this on one of my cars and its looking quite good. Also do try the second option shown by Manish with a shiny black top. I guarantee you, your car will turn out regal. The interior should be brown.

Last edited by the mole : 13th September 2013 at 17:04.
the mole is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 17:34   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post

Yes I agree with Manish the second option which is a 1100TV will look great if you follow it with the rims colours et all.
Manish did you notice its two tone with a black top
Yes Amol I do notice the black on top, this one looks so desirable. One of a kind in India, if we leave Dr. Behrams brown and black fiat.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 20:41   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Dr.Kannant - after reading the "black top" conversation, I am attaching two photographs of my 1967 model Fiat 1100 delight MRF6466. Enjoy!

Dear Manish - thanks! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of MDN 6494 ('55 Millecento) - In remembrance of my Father-fiat09.jpg  

Attached Images
File Type: bmp Copy of B2.bmp (351.6 KB, 246 views)
File Type: bmp B4.bmp (351.6 KB, 251 views)

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 13th September 2013 at 20:43.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 21:39   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Dr.Kannant - after reading the "black top" conversation, I am attaching two photographs of my 1967 model Fiat 1100 delight MRF6466. Enjoy!

Dear Manish - thanks! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
@ Mole, Thanks once again Mr Mole for your suggestions. Regarding the wiper blades and arms, since so many of u guys are following this thread ( my honour and thanks to on and all) I thought I will put in a word about the blades so that if I am lucky one of you might get it for me.

@ Mr Beharam & Manish - Behram sir, thats a wonderful car you got there. Would love to have the same combination of colours, but as I had mentioned earlier in the thread due to sentimental reasons we dont have a black coloured cars. Probably I will decide on the maroon shade. The colour is similar to that of your car but slightly darker with a metallic finish.

But I have still not ruled out RED, which so many of you have asked me to stick to.
Old 14th September 2013, 21:07   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkannant View Post
The only hurdle I need to cross is to convince my daughter on this. hope i can do that, but she wants the maroon color for the car.

I have posted the pictures of the particular blades & arms.
Good Evening Dr Kannan, Pertaining to the maroon color i would like to say that it requires more care as compared to solid red shade. Minimum 3 times in a day it needs to wiped so to maintain the sheen and shine. Its time consuming. If possible then convey this thought to your daughter but if she still wants it then probably you may need to for-go the original red.

As for the wiper blades, sir, as suggested here, these are minor things. As of now the main concern is to make the car sound in terms of mechanism and paint job. Go on with blades that were placed in premier padmini until you find the specific type. Its very hard to find the authentic spares of it.

thanks

AD
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 21:31   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post

Good Evening Dr Kannan, Pertaining to the maroon color i would like to say that it requires more care as compared to solid red shade. Minimum 3 times in a day it needs to wiped so to maintain the sheen and shine. Its time consuming. If possible then convey this thought to your daughter but if she still wants it then probably you may need to for-go the original red.

As for the wiper blades, sir, as suggested here, these are minor things. As of now the main concern is to make the car sound in terms of mechanism and paint job. Go on with blades that were placed in premier padmini until you find the specific type. Its very hard to find the authentic spares of it.

thanks

AD
Thank you so much for your concern Mr. AD, I really appreciate it.
Old 28th September 2013, 23:00   #99
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you so much for your concern Mr. AD, I really appreciate it.
Hi Guys ..... few colourful pictures of my car with the final base coat just before the final colour coating starts.
Attached Images

Drkannant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 08:33   #100
Senior - BHPian

Good Morning Dr Kannan, after a long gap i finally feel at peace with the dream car getting ready. In pics the efforts of painters is showing. The car looks very neatly done with base coat and i feel very happy to see that the variant of original color red is retained by you. Sir, really eager to see the dream car rolling out with shine and grace.

Suggesting you a small thing, there is a fellow bhpian @bikertillidie who recently acquired a Padmini Premier and is involved in the restoration of it so having so much of practical experience at hand you can check and advice him on needful.

thanks

AD

Last edited by ad3952n : 29th September 2013 at 08:34.
Old 29th September 2013, 11:25   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys ..... few colourful pictures of my car with the final base coat just before the final colour coating starts.
Seems to be coming out good, Dr. Kannan. But if I might ask, why the 'pretty pink' primer?! What colour do you intend to paint the car?
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 12:52   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Seems to be coming out good, Dr. Kannan. But if I might ask, why the 'pretty pink' primer?! What colour do you intend to paint the car?
Hi Stanher,
Thanks for the good words, ha ha 'pretty pink ' good one. I have decided on retaining the red colour but not the post box red as it was earlier. Decided on metallic red.

Actually thought of metallic brown but then due to sentimental reasons I have decided to retain red. The car in my town is known for its colour and antiquity. When I had been to my home town last week few of my dad's friends enquired about the car, asked me if I had sold it, but when I told them that I am restoring it in my father's memory they were so happy and all wanted me to keep it red. Even some of our TBHPians wanted me to keep it red.

Will post the pictures tomorrow, painting will start this afternoon.
Drkannant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 12:14   #103
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Stanher,
Thanks for the good words, ha ha 'pretty pink ' good one. I have decided on retaining the red colour but not the post box red as it was earlier. Decided on metallic red.

Actually thought of metallic brown but then due to sentimental reasons I have decided to retain red. The car in my town is known for its colour and antiquity. When I had been to my home town last week few of my dad's friends enquired about the car, asked me if I had sold it, but when I told them that I am restoring it in my father's memory they were so happy and all wanted me to keep it red. Even some of our TBHPians wanted me to keep it red.

Will post the pictures tomorrow, painting will start this afternoon.
Hi one & all

Finally the painting work is over and the car is back in the mechanics garage for the engine mounting and proceed.

Thete are some final engine works that Mr. Behram had asked to do and change, so that will be looked into and of course the cleaning and painting of the engine is due. Hope to finish all this by end of next week. Then planning to get the entire rewiring done with a person called Mr. Raghu, known for vintage car wiring. Finally the seat and upholstery work.

Any suggestions, advice or correction please feel free to tell me.

Posted few pictures after the painting work. Did not fix the bonnet and boot to avoid scratches during engine work.
Attached Images

Drkannant is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 14:15   #104
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Awesome!!

Why didn't you guys first fit the engine or rather complete the mechanical work and then do the paint finish!

Anyways, waiting for the complete pics!!
Karthik1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 14:54   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi one & all

Finally the painting work is over and the car is back in the mechanics garage for the engine mounting and proceed.
After much deliberation on the colour, I think it is a great choice. The flavour of red is retained, which is very much the identity of the car, yet the slightly darker/wine tinge to it adds a touch of class. The finish appears neat, with straight lines. Remember to paint the wheels light cream (like original), it will complement the car very nicely. I would have kept the engine bay in body colour though. I would strongly suggest that you re paint at least the wheel wells to body colour, it is immedeately noticable.

Do you have upholstery options ready? I would suggest a single tone dark tan/brown, again like the original, plus will match the exteriors.

Glad to see the original foot rests still intact on the floor - these are often removed when work is done.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 10th October 2013 at 14:57.
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks