Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2013, 16:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald

Fantastic restoration, and a beautiful result!

Do wish the owner paints the red bits in black, and gets rid of the Triumph badges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The wheels are actually supposed to be in a creamish white colour. But what if even otherwise? (I mean how does that affect the WW?)
Hello Stanher

I think I understood what Manish meant to say. The pure white colour of the wheels, along with the white wall tyres does not let the white walls stand out. Some contrast would have looked much better. Even the wheels being in the creamish white colour you mentioned would have been better I guess. But then, it's all subjective! If the owner likes it this way, so be it.

Cheers!
Viju is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 18:05   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Hello Stanher

I think I understood what Manish meant to say. The pure white colour of the wheels, along with the white wall tyres does not let the white walls stand out. Some contrast would have looked much better. Even the wheels being in the creamish white colour you mentioned would have been better I guess. But then, it's all subjective! If the owner likes it this way, so be it.
Traditionally Indian's have loved 'showy' items in their cars - chrome, badges, wood decor inside, and of course white wall tyres. Even for English and other European cars that didn't offer them in home markets. For example the Standard Pennant owner's manual printed for India shows the car with white wall tyres - not seen elsewhere.

So, many cars would get light cream wheels, to give the whitewall effect (of course, rather wishful). Another example that comes to mind is the 47 lineup for Chrysler/Dodge/DeSoto - where you could order cream wheel trims around the hubcaps to substitute white walls.

Of course, most people ended up fitting both, i.e. off white wheels with whitewall tyres. In this particular case I think it looks very nice, and the colour of the wheel looks nice, though a tad light.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 26th June 2013 at 18:08.
Old 26th June 2013, 20:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The wheels are actually supposed to be in a creamish white colour. But what if even otherwise? (I mean how does that affect the WW?)
By looking at the WW they looked a little jarring, with the same colour wheels (tough they are correct). No WW or thin WW would look more good, but that's my opinion.
Old 23rd September 2013, 14:47   #49
Team-BHP Support

Here's a Herald up for sale, only 20 miles on the clock
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed