Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2013, 07:12   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: '72 VW Beetle Restored! For 2 Indian Motorsport Stalwarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartikars View Post
Pavan Sirji. Its always a treat to see these restoration work of the Beetles. How much such beauties cost? And are there any auto transmission Beetles?

Keep posting ...
VW offered a semi automatic 3 speed gear box as an option. In essence, it did away with the need to use the clutch. I believe they are quite rare, at least I've never seen one, and I've owned and worked on quite a few beetles.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 10:14   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
VW offered a semi automatic 3 speed gear box as an option. In essence, it did away with the need to use the clutch. I believe they are quite rare, at least I've never seen one, and I've owned and worked on quite a few beetles.

Jeroen
Thanks a ton Jeroen. I have implants in my right hand which restrict me to drive a manual transmission car. I had tried driving one in Johannesburg but the pain started. But I dont want to miss the driving experience.
wartikars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 16:03   #33
BHPian

Superb work sir really nice looking Beetle. The color looks fantastic and modern. The interiors are simple but the vinyls in the seat look very nice. The alloys of the car also neat overall an awesome job Sir. Happy motoring keep clocking more kms.
alfaromeo1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 22:04   #34

What an amazing piece of restoration work. Kudos to you and your team. The existing alloys were an eyesore - I wonder how they looked originally though.
And one of your photos, reminds me of a 911 Whale Tail
nihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 23:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

I am not a "classic" car guy ...... at all!!!

But a bug always makes my heart skip a beat. A true icon.

I have always been curious around how much does it usually cost to own one (like the fine example showcased here. A ballpark number would do just fine too please).

Also; any known gremlins one needs to keep an eye out for post the full resto?

And before I forget; congratulations to Pawan on a job well done & the owners for .... well; owning such a beaut

I might be wrong but I think Pawan is the!! Go To guy for Beetles in all of India. I have not seen anyone do it better
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 08:12   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

As with just about any classic car, typically the biggest thing is rust. The Beetles are very prone to it. There are many things you can do to minimize rust for the future during the restoration process, but it will always remain an area of attention. Beetle rust in many places, but in particular the platform chassis is known to rust, due to its construction. Its a big thing, because a beetle gets just about all its strength and rigidity out of this platform chassis. Thats why they were used as donor cars for dune buggies. You would simply lift of the whole body and put a fiberglass buggy body on. Everything else remained in tact.

Im not familiar with the beetle parts supply situation in India, but worldwide parts availability is excellent. So, even if you have to get them from abroad you will always be able to source parts one way or the other. Beetles are very simple cars, very robust and have been known to clock unbelievable mileages. So, after a good restoration there isn't much that should spoil the fun of owning one. Rust being the medium to long term worry. Again, you can take preventive measures. of course, it makes a huge deal how the car is stored under what sort of environmental conditions that can make a huge difference on rust as well.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 08:56   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

This is wonderful. I often wonder why someone would buy a new Beetle from the showroom when there are such beauties out there that can be restored and brought to life! Would have preferred it in the classic "Love Bug" yellow myself but the steel gray is rich and those alloys go like a dream. Beautiful job!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 18:39   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30b16 View Post
... first tweaked by S Karivardhan , the 1641 engine with bits was purchased ...
Looking good, Sanjay, Arjun !
Is it a 1641cc or 1800cc? I think an album on FB mentions 1800?

Quote:
That exhaust is a Karivardhan Creation with two Bullet mufflers
The 4-in-to-1 headers that you guys previously had on this bug was a very intriguing design. Considering that it was designed locally back in the 80s, kudos to the designers.
While the VW Mexico sports exhaust that you have on the bug right now is a great performer, I'd keep aside the previous one, for days when nostalgia strikes!

I spy a deep sump kit hogging a couple inches of ground clearance!
Hope you guys have the the extension pickup tube clamped onto the stock pickup unit.
When you get a chance, sometime in the future, I'd suggest you replace the stock pick-up unit with the extra long one, and do away with the extension.

How does the single Weber perform? Any plans of a dual carb setup in the future?
thebulletboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 09:31   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
This is wonderful. I often wonder why someone would buy a new Beetle from the showroom when there are such beauties out there that can be restored and brought to life! Would have preferred it in the classic "Love Bug" yellow myself but the steel gray is rich and those alloys go like a dream. Beautiful job!
Noopster, Thanks that shade is PORSCHE QUARTZ GREY METALLIC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
Looking good, Sanjay, Arjun !
Is it a 1641cc or 1800cc? I think an album on FB mentions 1800?

The 4-in-to-1 headers that you guys previously had on this bug was a very intriguing design. Considering that it was designed locally back in the 80s, kudos to the designers.
While the VW Mexico sports exhaust that you have on the bug right now is a great performer, I'd keep aside the previous one, for days when nostalgia strikes!

I spy a deep sump kit hogging a couple inches of ground clearance!
Hope you guys have the the extension pickup tube clamped onto the stock pickup unit.
When you get a chance, sometime in the future, I'd suggest you replace the stock pick-up unit with the extra long one, and do away with the extension.

How does the single Weber perform? Any plans of a dual carb setup in the future?

The deep Oil sump is just clearing the ground 5 inches above, as against the stock height of 8 inches. Never had any issues while being driven 400 kms The deep oil sump comes with an extended oil pick up and is being taken off right now and we are running it stock till the thin line oil sump comes.

Single weber is just awesome, perfect for the sedate daily drive and apt for the boy racer, No Dual carbs anytime soon.

I also added a few Specials for Arjun, Old School RPM Guage, Sticker and a Push Start button.
Attached Thumbnails
'72 VW Beetle Restored! For 2 Indian Motorsport Stalwarts-dsc04324.jpg  

Old 24th November 2013, 11:20   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
The deep Oil sump is just clearing the ground 5 inches above, as against the stock height of 8 inches.
If the lowest point of the oil sump kit is 5 inches above the ground, and we assume that the suspension would bring it down lower by a modest 2 inches when any of the rear wheels roll into a pot hole, this would mean that any pot hole deeper than 3 inches could potentially cause the deep sump to take a hit.

The motor is a 1641cc, dual port, dual relief engine with a single Weber carb. IMO, if all the engine cooling tin, compartment seals and hoover bits are present, one should not face any problems of heating, even without the sump kit.

I have communicated my recommendation to Sanjay and will re-iterate here for the benefit of anyone else considering a deep sump kit for a Beetle on Indian roads : Think twice !
For added inspiration, here's a pic of an engine case that I have, which came to me along with a smaller mini sump kit. As one can see, a hit to the addon sump has pulled free a few studs, and some have sheared off taking along bits of the engine case.

'72 VW Beetle Restored! For 2 Indian Motorsport Stalwarts-damagedcase.jpg

Interestingly, VW offered quite a few addon options for vehicles headed to the Third World. Dished pistons & larger valves for low-octane fuel, higher capacity oil bath filters for dusty conditions etc. They also offered an engine guard which would install below the case and protect it from any damage. This came installed even on stock engines which, as you say, would be 8 inches off the ground.

'72 VW Beetle Restored! For 2 Indian Motorsport Stalwarts-engineguard.jpg

Last edited by thebulletboy : 24th November 2013 at 11:22.
Old 24th November 2013, 19:02   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I am not a "classic" car guy ...... at all!!!

But a bug always makes my heart skip a beat. A true icon.

I have always been curious around how much does it usually cost to own one (like the fine example showcased here. A ballpark number would do just fine too please).

And before I forget; congratulations to Pawan on a job well done & the owners for .... well; owning such a beaut

I might be wrong but I think Pawan is the!! Go To guy for Beetles in all of India. I have not seen anyone do it better
Thanks for the compliments.

If restored well A Beetle is The most Reliable and easy to maintain, daily drive Classic. About this car and my restorations , Well i never look at it as a Commercial aspect, It would solely depend on what someone wants to do with his car, and the condition of the car when it comes in.

So its an endless possibility with what and where you like to spend on.

Quote:

This was how we drove the car (Arjun and Me) in the 80's. That exhaust is a Karivardhan Creation with two Bullet mufflers, (which we still have along with a stinger tip).

So when Arjun and I saw the work that Pavan did with aircooled VWs, it gave us the confidence to create the look we always wanted and to get the bits that the final result needed. With all the available sources today, it was just a matter of finalizing on a dependable source and letting Pavan get on with what he does best.

The end result is what you see - moving air and water
Yes Sanjay, the look on yours and Arjun's face was worth all the effort, you guys were grinning ear to ear when i first showed the car to you guys at Nikhils Wheel alignment shop.

Moving indeed, You guys have corrupted mine and my other friends Brain My next 1968 Beetle Build off is going the same way - Headers, End-can, Alloys, Chrome engine tins, Dual tone paint scheme etc., etc., A total Cal-Look as against the ORIGINAL look as discussed at the beginning.

As long as i have people enjoying the process and enjoying the car after its restored, my job is done.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 24th November 2013 at 19:12.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 21:25   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I also added a few Specials for Arjun, Old School RPM Guage, Sticker and a Push Start button.
Hey Pavan, really appreciate your efforts and vision in building up this beautiful machine .

I sometime back clicked the same picture inside a Porsche 916 -

'72 VW Beetle Restored! For 2 Indian Motorsport Stalwarts-dsc_7588.jpeg
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 02:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hi PAVAN KADAM,

Excellent and tasteful mod.
Heard a lot about you from carbug from hyderabad.
Alloys and colour look too good
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 09:12   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Hey Pavan, really appreciate your efforts and vision in building up this beautiful machine .

I sometime back clicked the same picture inside a Porsche 916 -

Attachment 1170605
Only 120 mph on a Porsche ! mine says 200 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Hi PAVAN KADAM,

Excellent and tasteful mod.
Heard a lot about you from carbug from hyderabad.
Alloys and colour look too good
Thanks, Gautam is a dear friend, I can boast that I was instrumental in him buying both his VW's
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 11:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

Pavan,
The car has been wonderfully restored and done up pretty well. Was just wondering on the wheels, how did the orginal wheels look like?
Also did the beetle came with this particular shade in its year of manufacture

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks