Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2014, 10:34   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'

What an amazing restoration story that is, JayD! Being from Cochin, I am particularly proud to see such amazing work being done in God's Own Country! Like Prabal mentioned, the level of work that has gone into recreating this King of yours is way way above the non-sense going on in the other "restoration" threads.

That truly is a blessed car to have found its way into your garage. And having seen the way you keep your other cars, I am sure this one is going to stay like this for another 100 years. God bless!
Old 4th March 2014, 21:14   #92
BHPian

Thanks JayD for bringing back this car to life. Amazing job indeed. The Landmaster and Mark I in the background seem to be in great shape as well.

Somehow, the I gen 800 is looking like a classic among this august company.
Old 4th March 2014, 22:00   #93
Senior - BHPian

Great effort and commendable to the car looking superb from what it was. If you don't mind I would like to point out that with the help of the snaps the few things that would help the cars basic finish stand out . Please don't get me wrong here but just some observations.

The Chrome has really come out well ! How does she drive ? Have you done a few trials etc

Wish you all the best !

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-img_20131203_120502.jpg  

My '55 Dodge Kingsway 'Rustoration'-p1260801.jpg  

kasli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 03:59   #94
BHPian

What an awesome restoration !!!! Congrats Jay D.
Kudos to the "aashan", who did a wonderful job in the whole restoration.
Old 5th March 2014, 08:08   #95
Senior - BHPian

It’s time to put in a video of this amazingly restored Dodge Kingsway rolling through the streets of Cochin.
foby.sebastian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 10:37   #96
BHPian

Awesome work JayD. The car looks fabulous! Sincerely - it's just like a newly purchased one! All the efforts you put in restoring the King got rewarded very well. The second pic is going to be my wallpaper for the coming days! Waiting for the high res photo album.

Thanks for sharing the story and pics stage-wise, and in detail!
Old 5th March 2014, 10:53   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
With the work on the seat frame and springs done, it was now time to get the Upholstery done.

The colour chosen for the seats was a Medium dark brown. And the doorpads would be in 2 tone Brown and grey.

The foam on seats shown in the pics turned out to be a little higher than needed, that was later corrected. Also, the original Ashtray was added back on to the rear of the front seat.
This might be a bit off topic and incorrect too... About two years back when I had visited Colormech i think i had seen this ambassador in the picture fully stripped and work being done on it. Is it the same car and Do you have a separate thread for this car? Would love to see it...Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 11:13   #98
BHPian

Ive witnessed the project from the time the car was brought down with just bits and pieces. The transformation is just awesome with hard work, time, perseverance, dedication and passion incorporated to the highest level. One of the most original restorations done straight from the heart.
You are one of the lucky few to have a family that supports your passion and hats off to your dad who is one of the most knowledgeable persons in classics. Thread will be an asset to the team bhp restorations. Congrats once again.
Old 5th March 2014, 12:21   #99
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that's a lot of work/perseverance put in to restore a run-down car to such a beautiful condition. Great work, JayD !!!

BTW, I see a great looking M800 in one of the pics, but don't see a restoration-thread in your list of threads. Would be good to hear about that project too.
Old 5th March 2014, 15:19   #100
Senior - BHPian

This is A grade material. The sheer amount of time and dedication that goes into such projects is what differentiates a car aficionado from the rest of the car-lover crowd.

Kudos to the op and his father for taking us through this journey, of bringing back a king back to life.
Old 6th March 2014, 02:04   #101
BHPian

What a fantastic restoration job! It's awesome! It's beautiful!
Can we have a video clip of this beauty in motion?
regards,
Ashok
Old 19th March 2014, 19:45   #102
BHPian

Wow JayD. That's a superb job and a lot of passion and pain has obviously gone in doing the car. I have a 1956 Dodge Suburban that needs some work. Will lean on you for that one!
Old 19th March 2014, 21:08   #103
Team-BHP Support

What a fantastic restoration!

Congratulations and hats off to you on having undertaken and completed such a project.

Having had a Kingsway in our family, owned by my grand-father many years ago, it made for a very emotional read.

It's always fun following up on a thoroughly detailed, dedicated vintage car restoration project anywhere in the world but the added personal touches that enhance this aspect in Indian conditions, that western restoration projects just can't match.

Hope you and your family enjoy her for many years to come.
aah78 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 09:14   #104
Senior - BHPian

Wow JayD Chettah, awesome very nice resotration and very nice color choice. This has indeed come out very vell. I loved the part where you made a mould and re did the park light lenses. Can you tell us more on that and who did that job. This could help other too.

@Kasli: you are very correct on the windlace, infact I have seen in my Fiat too that the windlace was matching to the seat colors.
Old 22nd March 2014, 00:44   #105
BHPian

Hi, would you happen to have made any extra front indicator lenses ? Looking for a pair for my dodge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
The front Park light/indicator lenses were yellowed with age. Brand new ones were not available, so a mold was made of the original one, and new ones were made using it!

Attachment 1214678

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks