Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2014, 15:47   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Baby Hindustan Thread

Of late I have been looking to find details on the amusingly named 'Baby Hindusthan'. I have intentionally misspelled the title to assist searches. Here is what I could come up with so far. I am really looking forward to clarifications from those who remember the car

The 'Baby Hindusthan' was essentially a badge engineered Morris Minor, assembled (manufactured?) by Hindustan Motors alongside the larger saloons like the Hindustan 14, Landmaster and Ambassador. I used to be under the impression that they were always based on the last Morris Minor 1000 'Tiger' with the larger front and rear windscreens, but apparently I am mistaken. I do believe however that they were always OHV engines. Can anyone substantiate this?

From my (limited!) understanding, there were 3 main types of Babys (or should it be Babies)

1 - similar to the Morris Minor Series II - i.e. checquered grille, split front screen and small rear screen. Dash unknown, but probably identical to equivalent Minor

The Baby Hindustan Thread-101.jpg

The Baby Hindustan Thread-102.jpg

2 - 'Tiger' front grille but still split front glass and small rear glass.
Dash with central speedo, like 'Tiger' (thanks to wbd8779 for family pictures)

The Baby Hindustan Thread-baby01.jpg

The Baby Hindustan Thread-baby03.jpg

3 - Same as 2, but with larger one piece front rear windscreens. These seem to be the most common survivors

The Baby Hindustan Thread-hindustan01.jpg

The Baby Hindustan Thread-hindustan02.jpg

The Baby Hindustan Thread-hindustan03.jpg

I found these images as literature, showing 'Type 2'

The Baby Hindustan Thread-baby.jpg

The Baby Hindustan Thread-1956babyhindusthan.jpg

The Baby Hindustan Thread-hmbrochure.jpg

Could there have been a model like 'Type 3' but with the smaller rear windscreen? I have seen pictures of one such car, but maybe the front screen was altered to one piece

Can we also hazard a guess when the car was introduced? I know for a fact that they were available till atleast 1958 (looking at the RC book of a late car)

All images have been sourced from TBHP's fantastic archives
karlosdeville is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 16:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The Baby Hindustan Thread

All baby Hindustans came with OHV engines only. From 1953 to 1956 - 803cc OHV (austinA30) engine and from 1956 the 948cc OHV engine.

The horizontal grill bars must have been introduced from end 1954 models.

They were available in INDIA till 1958.

Last edited by GTO : 9th April 2014 at 17:20. Reason: Typos
ajay99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 16:57   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
From 1953 to1956 -803ccOHV (austinA30) engine andfrom 1956 the 948cc OHV engine
So say in 1955 there would be a Baby Hindustan with OHV engine, and a Morris Minor with sidevalve engine being sold side by side? Interesting. Was this confirguration (803cc OHV engine) available on the Minor anywhere else in the world?
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 17:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
So say in 1955 there would be a Baby Hindustan with OHV engine, and a Morris Minor with sidevalve engine being sold side by side? Interesting. Was this confirguration (803cc OHV engine) available on the Minor anywhere else in the world?

Hi

Thanks Karlos.

WBD8775 always brings a smile to my face , let me check if i have some interior pics , however as i remember it had the Central Smiths speedo in MPH (at least in wbd8775).

I remember my grandpa pushing it to 55mph on red road (circa 1985).
wbd8779 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 20:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NO, all Morris minors built till August 1952 (chassis no160001) had the old Morris eight side valve engine. Then the export models (4 door sedan) were fitted with OHV engine (called A series engine). The 2 door saloon and tourer still had the sidevalve engine till 23rd february 1953 when the last MM Series minor was built.

This A series engine continued till october 1956 when the 948cc OHV engine was fitted to minors worldwide.

Last edited by GTO : 9th April 2014 at 17:18. Reason: Typo
ajay99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 10:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Hi
WBD8775 always brings a smile to my face , let me check if i have some interior pics , however as i remember it had the Central Smiths speedo in MPH (at least in wbd8775).
Yes, one can make out the slight hump of the centre speedo in one of the pics posted by Karl in this thread. If you have any clearer pics of the dash, pls do share.

This is very interesting ! At least in the Morris world, the centre speedo was always accompanied by the curved one piece windshield. I have not seen any exception to this rule on a Morris Minor.

WBD8775 clearly has a split front screen and a centre speedo !
Did WBD8775 come off the factory line with this combo? If yes, then perhaps Hindustan mixed-and-matched parts in transition years to clear off excess stock of older panels?

Do you happen to remember the model year of WBD8775 ? And was the car with your family since new?

Last edited by thebulletboy : 9th April 2014 at 10:40.
thebulletboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 11:55   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
Yes, one can make out the slight hump of the centre speedo in one of the pics posted by Karl in this thread. If you have any clearer pics of the dash, pls do share.

This is very interesting ! At least in the Morris world, the centre speedo was always accompanied by the curved one piece windshield. I have not seen any exception to this rule on a Morris Minor.

Did WBD8775 come off the factory line with this combo? If yes, then perhaps Hindustan mixed-and-matched parts in transition years to clear off excess stock of older panels?

Do you happen to remember the model year of WBD8775 ? And was the car with your family since new?
In the first pic ypu can also see the trafficators

Yes WBD8775 was with the split windscreen and the central speedo since new. I will have to check the model year , it was bought as a gift to the family by my grandpa on the birth of his second son (my uncle ) , so the model year corresponds to his year of birth! will update after confirming.

It was bought new and sold as a one owner car to the scrappers in 92 or 93 in immaculate condition . I remember grandpa telling me that it had been delivered to him packed in a big wooden crate.

Last edited by wbd8779 : 9th April 2014 at 11:57.
wbd8779 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 16:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post

Even in the "'morris minor world'' centre speedo meter and split windscreen did exist
The Single instrument cluster at the centre flanked by open glove boxes on either side was introduced in October 1954 chassis number.286441.The curved single piece windscreen came only in October 1956 when the Minor 1000 was introduced.
So Hindustan motors never did any mix and match as infered in the quoted post.

Last edited by ajay99 : 9th April 2014 at 16:57.
ajay99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 16:05   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Baby Hindustan Thread

A couple of nice examples - one in Delhi and one in Jaipur

The Baby Hindustan Thread-baby.jpg

The Baby Hindustan Thread-03.jpg

The Baby Hindustan Thread-04.jpg

The Baby Hindustan Thread-05.jpg

The Baby Hindustan Thread-morris04.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 10th April 2014 at 16:11.
karlosdeville is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 16:45   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Another picture of the Jaipur car
Attached Thumbnails
The Baby Hindustan Thread-398.jpg  

KartikeyaL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 12:34   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

A 57/58 Baby Hindustan spotted in Pune by a friend

The Baby Hindustan Thread-photo.jpg
Old 1st August 2014, 11:25   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a question regarding the engine bay - on the home market Minor 1000 there were two plates on the tappet cover reading MORRIS and probably the other one gave valve clearances or some other instruction.

The Baby Hindustan Thread-06.jpg

The Baby Hindustan Thread-07.jpg

Did the Baby Hindustan have something similar?

Also who can help me with a scan of the owner's manual?
Old 1st August 2014, 12:32   #13

Quote:
Of late I have been looking to find details on the amusingly named 'Baby Hindusthan'.
==============
All images have been sourced from TBHP's fantastic archives
Thanks for commencing this extremely interesting post .... Karlosdeville

One of the interesting points to note is the "Hindusthan" spelling.. It has an extra "h" between the letters "t and a". In the later generations, as we all know it was spelt as "Hindustan" ..

I presume this was because of the company Hindustan Motors Ltd. undergoing this official edit in its company nomenclature..
Old 11th February 2016, 13:42   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a question regarding the engine bay - on the home market Minor 1000 there were two plates on the tappet cover reading MORRIS and probably the other one gave valve clearances or some other instruction.

Attachment 1269001

Attachment 1269002

Did the Baby Hindustan have something similar?

Also who can help me with a scan of the owner's manual?
At the recent vintage car rally in Delhi I got to see a nice original Baby Hindustan that is still with the first Doctor owner. After cross checking with 3 other cars (including this one owner car) I think it is safe to say that the tappet covers still stuck with the MORRIS lettering as seen here

The Baby Hindustan Thread-hindustan37.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 09:12   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

A rather rare brochure for the early model of the Baby Hindusthan - this is the first time I am seeing it.

The Baby Hindustan Thread-01.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks