Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2014, 17:01   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hindustan 14 Thread

Since most Hindustan 14 images are merged with the Amby thread, we really need an independent thread for this predecessor of the Amby, essentially the Morris Oxford Series MO. I'm sure experts will shed light on production history, timespan etc.

From my understanding there were two kinds of Hindustan 14s - one was the introductory model (1949?) with the cast front grille in one piece, and then the Newlook (1953?) with the two piece steel grille. The other difference between them was possibly the meter faceplates - plain in the original, and with a green border in the Newlook. Experts please confirm.

The Hindustan 14 Thread-a1.jpg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-a2.jpg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-a3.jpg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-a4.jpg

It is no coincidence that I start the thread a day after getting my hands on one

This is my 1954 Hindustan 14 'Newlook'. Practically one owner most of its life, unrestored, with original interiors but an overcoat of paint though. Many rare original parts are in place, though some obvious modifications need to go like the taillights, front parking lights and indicator stalk mechanism. Missing semaphores too.

The Hindustan 14 Thread-001.jpeg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-002.jpeg

Delicate trim is still intact, making life much easier for me.
The Hindustan 14 Thread-003.jpeg

Traces of the original blue are still present. Usually everyone re-paints the centre red.
The Hindustan 14 Thread-004.jpeg

Badge is rare as hen's teeth
The Hindustan 14 Thread-005.jpeg

Original interiors, good only as reference.
The Hindustan 14 Thread-006.jpg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-007.jpeg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-008.jpeg

Sidevalve engine fortunately intact and working well.
The Hindustan 14 Thread-009.jpeg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-010.jpeg

These fender mounted lights seem to be identical to Studebaker units, and I thought the previous owner fitted them, though I see 2 more cars have them. Possibly dealer option? Wasn't HM assembling Studebakers at the time?
The Hindustan 14 Thread-011.jpeg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-a5.jpg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-a6.jpg

Never noticed these sill plates before, nor the neat hinges for the sunvisors
The Hindustan 14 Thread-012.jpeg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-016.jpeg

I was particularly thrilled to see an India Super tyre. I think they stopped making these decades back.
The Hindustan 14 Thread-013.jpeg

Original jack and crank handle are also intact
The Hindustan 14 Thread-014.jpeg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-015.jpeg

Any other incorrect items I need to attend to? Can anyone help me with the missing rear bumper guards?

Last edited by karlosdeville : 2nd June 2014 at 17:13.
karlosdeville is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 18:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindustan 14 Thread

Congratulations on your new acquisition. I assume that the car has not been run since a long time, because the number plates are still in Black.
Though the engine looks in a very good condition.

Sorry, I cannot be of any help on your queries. I am just an admirer of vintage cars.

P.S. :- Have you bought a separate building/plot of land to park all your rare gems ? Finding a covered car park for 2 cars has become a problem in Pune. And parking these in the open (after restoration) is a big No No.
Old 3rd June 2014, 20:53   #3
BHPian

My dad owned one, his "first second hand". WBD603. White.

Now :
1) It had this strange fuel pump tak tak tak initialization sound, for 20 odd seconds after ignition but prior to crank.
2) Had a spring in the carburettor/throttle assembly, replaced with a Jotter pen spring jugaad when we were stranded in Simlipal forest.
3) It had a handle, like the ones you use for diesel gensets to manually start it when stalled or battery got discharged.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 3rd June 2014 at 20:56.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 09:48   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
My dad owned one, his "first second hand". WBD603. White.

Now :
1) It had this strange fuel pump tak tak tak initialization sound, for 20 odd seconds after ignition but prior to crank.
Nice - any pics from the family albums?

The sound is of the electric fuel pump, which gets much louder when the fuel level is low. The original ones were SU, mounted on the bulkhead, and carried on even in the Amby (though mounted in the boot). Very few cars still run it, opting for the more modern Ucal facet units instead (like mine).
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 10:52   #5

Congratulations on your new acquisition!! Its indeed a beauty. You should be able to get her back to full glory with a complete restoration. Interesting to see the original interiors intact even after so many decades!! Kudos to the owner who maintained it.

I beleive this is from one of the last Hindustan14s that were produced. After 1954 the landmaster series were introduced even though they had the same 1478CC engine from Hindustan 14.
Old 5th June 2014, 12:01   #6
BHPian

Hi Karlosdeville

Thanks for bringing up this vintage Amby.

I grew up in a place, where the famous HM Factory is situated and my family owned a Amby from 1963 to 1979. Not sure if it was Mark 2,3 or 4 as I was a kid.

Surprisingly, the HM Factory do not have any vintage Model Gallery or some Hall of Fame for its car. I think they should have one.
Old 5th June 2014, 14:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Since most Hindustan 14 images are merged with the Amby thread, we really need an independent thread for this predecessor of the Amby, essentially the Morris Oxford Series MO. I'm sure experts will shed light on production history, timespan etc.

From my understanding there were two kinds of Hindustan 14s - one was the introductory model (1949?) with the cast front grille in one piece, and then the Newlook (1953?) with the two piece steel grille. The other difference between them was possibly the meter faceplates - plain in the original, and with a green border in the Newlook. Experts please confirm.
Any other incorrect items I need to attend to? Can anyone help me with the missing rear bumper guards?
Karl,Good that you started a separate thread for Hindustan14,
The Newlook was produced for a very short period and only in hundreds before the landmaster was launched. try to fit the original "H"" stamped pedal rubbers also
ajay99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 16:24   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is an owner's manual for the Hindustan 14. Curiously enough, there is no mention of the name '14' anywhere, the car is simply referred to as the Hindustan.

The Hindustan 14 Thread-photo-1.jpg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-photo-2.jpg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-photo-3.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 15:58   #9
BHPian

I have with me quite some spares for Hindustan 14s which i had collected over time for my car which i parted with two years back. I will try to index them and post a list here. Owners in need may please indicate what they require.
Old 6th August 2014, 18:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Old photo of a Hindustan, giving a peek into the interior. Maybe useful as a reference to someone, or not.
This apparently Parsi lady is also seen in another photo of a Fiat, which I have posted in the FCCCI thread. I like the period transistor radio.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
The Hindustan 14 Thread-hindustan.jpg  

harit is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 10:06   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Old photo of a Hindustan, giving a peek into the interior. Maybe useful as a reference to someone, or not.
This apparently Parsi lady is also seen in another photo of a Fiat, which I have posted in the FCCCI thread. I like the period transistor radio.

Cheers harit
Neat picture, thanks. Strange to see a light coloured steering wheel - I was under the impression they were a dark brown. Or maybe they all turned dark brown from ivory. I was always keen to know if the steel trim was fitted to the door panels - seems they were. Not sure if the screws in the panels would have been there from new. Any idea? The mirror is a later/accessory unit.
Old 7th August 2014, 11:54   #12
BANNED

The first car registered in my name was a Sky Blue Hindustan 14 DLC26. I still remember it fondly.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 17:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Neat picture, thanks. Strange to see a light coloured steering wheel - I was under the impression they were a dark brown. Or maybe they all turned dark brown from ivory. I was always keen to know if the steel trim was fitted to the door panels - seems they were. Not sure if the screws in the panels would have been there from new. Any idea? The mirror is a later/accessory unit.
Hi!
I understand that the 14 came with a light coloured steering wheel too, and this was close to sandal paste. There were never any screws on the door trims. And have you ever seen a working rear screen? It used to be a spring loaded mechanism with a string running through the cieling and a ring close to the rear view mirror. You simply had to pull the ring and hook it to roll up the screen.
I used to have a beautiful and very original Hindustan 14 till about 2 years back, done all of 31k miles from new.
Shwetank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 17:37   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwetank View Post
Hi!
I understand that the 14 came with a light coloured steering wheel too, and this was close to sandal paste. There were never any screws on the door trims. And have you ever seen a working rear screen? It used to be a spring loaded mechanism with a string running through the cieling and a ring close to the rear view mirror. You simply had to pull the ring and hook it to roll up the screen.
I used to have a beautiful and very original Hindustan 14 till about 2 years back, done all of 31k miles from new.
Thats interesting - I've never come across such a system in a Hindustan before. Probably an accessory fitting? I doubt they were all offered with it. Nevertheless I will look for any clues in my car over the weekend.

Your 14 must have been one of the lowest milage cars around, shame you sold it. Any pictures to share? Where is the car now?
Old 7th August 2014, 18:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Thats interesting - I've never come across such a system in a Hindustan before. Probably an accessory fitting? I doubt they were all offered with it. Nevertheless I will look for any clues in my car over the weekend.

Your 14 must have been one of the lowest milage cars around, shame you sold it. Any pictures to share? Where is the car now?

Indeed a pity I had to part with it. Its with a collector in Chandigarh now. I'm posting some pictures here.
Attached Thumbnails
The Hindustan 14 Thread-picture-043.jpg  

The Hindustan 14 Thread-picture-044.jpg  

The Hindustan 14 Thread-picture-002.jpg  

The Hindustan 14 Thread-picture-045.jpg  

Shwetank is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks