Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2016, 18:51   #166
BHPian

Re: Our Lost & Found Classic - 1954 Dodge Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Well, it was the Dodge's turn this time. I am happy that the car will remain in Bangalore, with a KVCCC Member, who is very closely associated with the Nilgiris and last but not the least, knew Jack Lawrence.

Cheers

KPS
Sir,
I had a opportunity of meeting the Dodge up close last evening.
It was the ride of the bride& the groom for a family wedding of the new owner. She looks as good as new! Couldn't have missed the I Love Bangalore fender sticker
Unfortunately, I couldn't take any decent pics of the car due to bad light but she sure purrs like it came right off the assembly line!
aqualeo2040 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2016, 07:34   #167
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Sir,
I had a opportunity of meeting the Dodge up close last evening.
............ but she sure purrs like it came right off the assembly line!
Thank you aqualeo2040.

Yes, indeed she was standing brightly, even thought it was late evening. I too was so glad to see the car at the family wedding. Felt happy that the car is in very good hands.

Cheers

KPS
Old 31st December 2016, 08:49   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On 5th November the car made it home.
Congrats on a great restoration. Why has the MDN number been replaced by a KA-05?
Old 31st December 2016, 10:31   #169
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Congrats on a great restoration. Why has the MDN number been replaced by a KA-05?
NOC for transfer to Karnataka was taken in 2001. Tamilnadu has Annual Tax with 100% penalty. Karnataka has Life Time Tax. It would have been too expensive to keep the MDN number.

Secondly FC needs to be done every 5 years and since we live in Bangalore, it is easier to complete the same locally.

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 31st December 2016 at 10:32.
Old 31st December 2016, 13:52   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NOC for transfer to Karnataka was taken in 2001. Tamilnadu has Annual Tax with 100% penalty. Karnataka has Life Time Tax. It would have been too expensive to keep the MDN number.

Secondly FC needs to be done every 5 years and since we live in Bangalore, it is easier to complete the same locally.

Cheers

KPS
Isn't there some rule for Classic and Vintage cars which allows you to retain the original number even after transferring to another state?
Old 31st December 2016, 15:38   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Isn't there some rule for Classic and Vintage cars which allows you to retain the original number even after transferring to another state?
Definitely not in India!
I fervently wish there were such an exception though!
Old 4th January 2017, 19:36   #172
BHPian

Quote:
At home, we have parking space for two vintage cars only. For the last 25 years, we have consistently followed a policy of upgrading our cars. So, when we find a better car (Marque, Body Style, Production Numbers, history, closeness to originality, etc) one of the existing cars have to go.

Well, it was the Dodge's turn this time. I am happy that the car will remain in Bangalore, with a KVCCC Member, who is very closely associated with the Nilgiris and last but not the least, knew Jack Lawrence.

The parking is taken. More on the other car later
Attachment 1579306

The engine is in great condition. This morning we fired her up, and the water from the exhaust indicates good compression
Attachment 1579304

The Plymouth is unwilling to give up her parking
Attachment 1579305

We say bye to her.
Attachment 1579291

We enjoyed the ownership. Finding the car, after a hunt over many years and restoring was a wonderful experience. My parents relived some of the the old moments associated with the car and we were happy to able to share these nostalgic moments. This special car and Jack Lawrence will live on in our memories.

Cheers

KPS
Sorry to know that you had to part with Dodge.
Me being a native of Coonoor and also have a MDN beauty and with the history that dodge had, would have loved having it in my garage.

Eagerly awaiting for the Covers of your latest possession to go off and to hear the good old history that it beholds.

Cheers Mr. KPS
Old 4th January 2017, 19:52   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkannant View Post

Eagerly awaiting for the Covers of your latest possession to go off and to hear the good old history that it beholds.
Dr. Hope you've seen the thread - its already up

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ry-saloon.html

Cheers

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 09:28   #174
BANNED

Quote:
..........We enjoyed the ownership. Finding the car, after a hunt over many years and restoring was a wonderful experience. My parents relived some of the the old moments associated with the car and we were happy to able to share these nostalgic moments. This special car and Jack Lawrence will live on in our memories.
Cheers
KPS
I understand your sentiments, KPS, and endorse them fully. For us it is very akin to parting with one of our well-loved pets - as when we had to give away the pups from the litter. The parting is very painful & we decided to spey our Daisy to prevent any more heartbreaks subsequently.

Cheers,
Shashanka
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 03:43   #175
BANNED

Quote:
I would like to dedicate this thread to my dad, Prithvi Ganapathy and his ex-boss Jack William Lawrence. My Dad has always been a car and bike enthusiast........................The P25 engines are known to be bullet proof. As the saying goes, "The proof is in the pudding"! We are able to start the engine after almost 12 years without much difficulty!
More later
Cheers
KPS
What an extraordinary thread, KPS! And you bring it alive in such fascinating detail! In fact, we've just sent an e-mail to nonsuchestate.conoor asking them if they could let us know the Mumbai & Lucknow distributors for their leaf tea! We are addicted to our ritual cups and have so far made do with Goodrick & Darjeeling long leaf. And now, after your endorsement are looking forward to Nonsuch!. And like so many of the other members have remarked - I must say your Dad on the RE could indeed pass off as Clarke Gable!

Your experience of starting the engine after 12 years without much difficulty is proof that many American engines of the era were "bullet-proof". The fact that they had such low compr. ratios (in the range of 4+ / 6+ :1) no doubt added to their stress-free longevity. And also that they could be bored-out, over the years, to much larger capacity (without the head-ache of re-casting the block) without adversely affecting stress thresholds.

Kudos to your love & dedication in bringing this lovely car back from near extinction!

Last edited by shashanka : 7th August 2017 at 03:48.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 08:37   #176

Hi KPS,
Thanks very much for the fantastic history on your father and the vehicle. My grandfather is the Jack William Lawrence you refer to and my dad (born in Ooty) and I were hoping to get in touch with you if possible.
Best wishes,
James
Gollies is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 10:01   #177
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollies View Post
Hi KPS,
Thanks very much for the fantastic history on your father and the vehicle. My grandfather is the Jack William Lawrence you refer to and my dad (born in Ooty) and I were hoping to get in touch with you if possible.
Best wishes,
James
Dear James,

How exciting is this! So very glad that you could connect through TBHP. My father says you must be John's son! Both my parents are super excited!

Jack Lawrence was my Dad's all time favourite boss. His stories remain alive at home to this day.

Please do connect with me on subbaiahkp at the rate icloud dot com

Will look forward to hearing from you.

cheers

Subbaiah
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 11:40   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How exciting is this! So very glad that you could connect through TBHP. My father says you must be John's son! Both my parents are super excited!
KPS world is indeed getting smaller !! I can picture your Dad's face when he heard this. God Bless Him !

Hope they connect soon - hopefully there are some colour pics of Dodge - eager to see

Best Regards & Drive Safe
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 11:43   #179
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

It has been wonderful to have been able to connect with the Jack Lawrence's family in Australia. John W Lawrence, his son has been in regular touch with Dad and me.

He writes as below

Quote:
There are three things Subbaiah that I picked up in the TBHP Thread that I trust you don’t mind me bringing up:
• Dad’s middle name is Wilfred. For your interest JWL’s have been a family tradition since James William Lawrence 1881-1940. He was Jack’s Father. My middle name is Warwick.
• Dad was correctly in the British Army but spent the bulk of WW2 with the Indian Army based in Bangalore as an officer in the Queen Victoria’s Own Madras Sappers And Miners. He served with them in Burma and Malaya leaving the Army at Indian Independence in 1947. He reached the rank of Major at an unusually young age and apparently fulfilled the role of Acting Colonel for a short period, perhaps before Independence?? I’d like to share a copy of a newspaper article that I received in March from my cousin Penny. I think the ceremony was held on 24/10/1944?? But that needs verification. Three Indians received the VC and the widows of two others received posthumous VC and GC’s. Lord Wavell was Viceroy of India from 1943 to 1947.
• Samuel, who was Dad’s long serving stenographer, told me that he was sitting in the Dodge next to Dad at the UPASI event when Dad suddenly started to have a coughing fit, collapsed whist having a severe heart attack and dying very quickly thereafter. This followed them having taken part in the first stage of the event. The event was then called off.

I thought you should know this......

.....profoundly thank you for also dedicating the TBHP Tread to my Dad. Such a lovely thing for you to have done and for which I am forever grateful. Thank You.

John W Lawrence
Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 9th June 2020 at 11:45.
KPS is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 21:50   #180
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (3)

Started reading this thread as i saw your name on it @ Mr. KPS.
Loved it...
rohanhsaraf is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed