Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 15:51   #31
BHPian

Re: 1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration

Amazing work Karl.

Would love to see the finished version in person.
Old 22nd September 2014, 16:20   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

I've never been a fan of classics/vintage cars. Yes, I admire a nice classic in a detached way, but I'm not nuts about it.

But this write-up and photo-essay hooked me. I loved the intro where you introduced the Herald - that was so nostalgic. And then the detailed tear-down and build-up made for an engrossing read.

Lovely stuff, great work!
Old 22nd September 2014, 16:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Karl the car is coming out to be a stunner! The thread is truly written in a manner that is beautiful to read and I love how you have tied it with historical aspects of the brand and your family's passion for the marque.

I wish you many years of enjoyment in this car especially on the South India trip where the herald will truly be at home.
Old 22nd September 2014, 16:31   #34

Such exhaustive restoration and sourcing!!!
Cant believe the effort taken by you people!!
Great Job!
Old 22nd September 2014, 16:51   #35
BHPian

Hi Karl,
That is a wonderful job.I am sure that the car will be a looker.Congratulations on a job well done.
I have started restoration of my Companion but it could take atleast three months to
Complete.By the way could you let me know as to where you managed to procure the windshield rubbers as I would be in need of them for my Companion.
Thanks&Regards
Venkat Kumar
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:15   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat kumar View Post
By the way could you let me know as to where you managed to procure the windshield rubbers as I would be in need of them for my Companion.
I got them in Bombay itself, but there are no Companion units available - I had asked for my car as well. The best alternative is to adapt them from some UV like Maruti Omni. That's what I did for my Beetle as well, they work well though look a little ugly.
Old 22nd September 2014, 20:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 24th September 2014 at 11:29.
Equus is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd September 2014, 21:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

Heavenly Restoration. Pure Passion driving this thing you doing. The car will relive its glorious past in mondern days. Superb!
Old 22nd September 2014, 23:49   #39
BHPian

Awesome!!! No words to express the feeling karlos
Old 23rd September 2014, 00:00   #40
NKN
BHPian

Awesome work, can wait to see the finished version. I love the attention to detail.
On question though- The rear tyres are too tilted to the inside( not sure what the technical term is). Though I have seen it on other Herald's, this i felt was little over the edge- please correct me if I am wrong
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thanks Ram - this is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for, to help improve the car. We noticed the grain orientation early on, but since the piece was already cut, decided to overlook it in a moment of weakness. I really have no knowledge on the kinds of wood to be used, or the finishes. Thanks for this. I will probably remake a piece eventually, though for now this stays till the car is fully sorted mechanically and I use it for a while.
Karl,

The picture of the Dharmapur 6 you posted before in the thread - the dash of that car is a correct referrence for the wood finish. But the instruments would be black (including black dialed tri-lamp cluster).

I am reposting the picture here for ready reference

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-herald-dash.jpg

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:02   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
I am reposting the picture here for ready reference
Thanks Ram.

I have another doubt with regards to the shield badge on the bonnet.

The one on my car has the inlay painted a deep red. I remember the originals being white and blue, but this doesn't show traces of it being refinished - any chance these were also offered?

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-img_3601.jpg

The larger base badge below had the top portion damaged due to rust, fortunately I had a spare.
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thanks Ram.

I have another doubt with regards to the shield badge on the bonnet.

The one on my car has the inlay painted a deep red. I remember the originals being white and blue, but this doesn't show traces of it being refinished - any chance these were also offered?

Attachment 1291431

The larger base badge below had the top portion damaged due to rust, fortunately I had a spare.
Karl,

Its more than 32 years since I last washed our Herald or any Herald. But I am almost 95% sure that the Stanpro was not there in the bonnet on Indian Heralds - Our car didn't have it. The 64 Herald MK 1 of my cousin did not have it.

The only place the monogram was there was on the horn button.

May be I am wrong and the Stanher and others can give more authentic and correct info

Did the car on the owners hand book cover have it ? The copy you have posted is not very clear either

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:20   #44
BHPian

Dear Karlosdeville,

Nothing new to be said, what hasn't already been said about this brilliant restoration process. A simple stand up and SALUTE with a shut gob, nothing else.

But what you have done, is changed my mind. A while ago, during a family dinner table discussion, me and the missus having realised that we, in our early 40's were only a few years away from being destined to be "only two" again as the children would be moving out pursuing their own paths in life, were contemplating moving to the village disposing our city assets and retaining only what is necessary. We had initially planned to restore a Premier Padmini into a 2 door car, but now you have introduced this new "keeda" into my mind to the extent that I have completely abandoned the Premier Padmini dream.

Well, it is now I have to start afresh on sourcing and attempting to restore or outright buy a restored Standard Mark II (2 door). Some indicative costs into the purchase and restoration process would be very helpful (after the completion, that is)

Thank you. Again, thank you very very much

Cheers

Arun
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:48   #45
BHPian

This is phenomenal Karl! It's gonna be a great car!
All the best with the restoration...
Cheers

Most Viewed