Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2014, 18:18   #46
BHPian

Re: 1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration

I can only SALUTE! Waiting to read the report on the South India trip in this ageless beauty.
Old 23rd September 2014, 19:25   #47
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely phenomenal restoration!! It's as if I am watching Discovery Turbo. Hat's off man...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 22:36   #48
BHPian

Boyo, this is some piece of artwork right here. By your standards and those of few others, I guess we can never call ourselves car enthusiasts. I (used to) think that I love cars, but your thread and few others that i have read about detailed restorations have actually changed that perspective. Seriously this kind of love for an automobile is awe inspiring. On the other end of the spectrum are those car owners who treat their cars like junk. I have seen so many car owners abuse their cars, driving around with hung broken bumpers, gashes on the metal body, peeled off paint, broken indicators, dirtier than dirt interiors, etc. One of y neighbors belongs to this category. Well the gentleman really treats his dzire, ritz and a-star worse than Bullock carts. I ought to show him this thread man. Maybe with some luck can talk some sense into him. But as they say, to each his own.

Awesome stuff Karl.
rattanw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 22:59   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I have another doubt with regards to the shield badge on the bonnet.

The one on my car has the inlay painted a deep red. I remember the originals being white and blue, but this doesn't show traces of it being refinished - any chance these were also offered?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
I am almost 95% sure that the Stanpro was not there in the bonnet on Indian Heralds - Our car didn't have it. The 64 Herald MK 1 of my cousin did not have it.

The only place the monogram was there was on the horn button.

May be I am wrong and the Stanher and others can give more authentic and correct info.
The shield badge on the bonnet is most certainly original to the mk2- and I'm sure the later ones with the "Fat" C-pillar roof also had it. Here are a couple of those, one of those apparently period photo, with the emblem badge on the bonnet:

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-mk2sec.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-mk2ooty.jpg

The mk1 of course didn't have it on the bonnet edge, but on the grille surround, up center.

Also I'm sure the emblem badge was always blue and white, atleast on the Heralds. These were Standard-Triumph's trademark colours in the 60s atleast.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 08:20   #50
BHPian

Best restoration work seen so far in this forum . Excellent fit and finish till now . Kudos to your patience Mr . Karlos .
Old 24th September 2014, 10:13   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The shield badge on the bonnet is most certainly original to the mk2- and I'm sure the later ones with the "Fat" C-pillar roof also had it. Here are a couple of those, one of those apparently period photo, with the emblem badge on the bonnet:
Thanks Shyam. I stand corrected

Karl, you had mentioned the South India Trip - so are you putting in a Alternator and CDI in the Herald (of course this is easily reversible after the trip) as per the stipulations

I just would love to see you guys some where whilst you are in the south. I hope the car that is under "mega restoration" in a south indian city joins as well - would love to see that.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 24th September 2014 at 10:41.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 10:59   #52
BHPian

Amazing restoration work. It takes real passion and patience to do this kind of detailing. It turns out to be a reference thread for those who wish to undertake restoration projects. Kudos for the work, and awaiting to see the finished car. Haven't seen a Herald in that green shade yet.
Old 24th September 2014, 11:18   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Karl, you had mentioned the South India Trip - so are you putting in a Alternator and CDI in the Herald (of course this is easily reversible after the trip) as per the stipulations
The plan is to fit an alternator and electric fuel pump (fitted). I haven't considered fitting a CDI kit, not sure how to go about, whether it needs some skill to set up etc. I will be carrying extra points and delco cap as a precaution of course. What other spares do you recommend? I will be carrying a spare coil, hose pipes, fan belt, basic spanners, some wire, some cloth, oils, water and fuel. And of course, a fire extinguisher.
Old 24th September 2014, 11:31   #54
BHPian

Quote:
What other spares do you recommend?
Don't forget to pack in a lot of spare patience!

And of course, some sweets/chocolates/sugary stuff for an energy boost should you feel tired/sleepy on the long drive (seriously).

Nice thread, Karl. Good restoration, well-documented (informative) and interestingly written
Prabal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 12:15   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What other spares do you recommend? I will be carrying a spare coil, hose pipes, fan belt, basic spanners, some wire, some cloth, oils, water and fuel. And of course, a fire extinguisher.
You never can be prepared for this sort of trip. What you have mentioned is quiet good. Add water pump, if you have a spare, with all packings.

Most importatnt - Carry spare of the rear axle flange nuts & bolts. Originally they were the "fiber lock" kind. Also make sure that you check the tightness of the 8 nuts aleast once in two days. Hope the flanges/swing joints have been reconditioned/replaced.

I have a feeling the little one is going to do better than the the bid daddies

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 14:50   #56
BHPian

oh, I reached 4th page. I was in a trance till now watching the rebirth of a legend. I always liked watching the before and after snaps. But the way the thread progressed starting from the history till a full blown restoration, I've got to admit it's enlightening.
I was like a little kid staring in awe as a car rises from the ashes into a beautiful phoenix.

Full credit to our very own Kings of Restoration.

When I first went to watch "Lord of the rings:Fellowship of the ring", the movie ended and I was like "maybe it's a second interval, it'll start again". Only after I came home and searched on the internet did I find that it's the first part and there are two more parts.

My feeling is the same when I reached page4 now I'm eagerly waiting for the finished beauty.
Old 24th September 2014, 15:14   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

23th September 2014

The bumpers on the car had accessory chromed covers mounted, which protruded out in profile. To accommodate them the bumper guards had been scooped out (original lines in yellow, new altered lines in red)

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-old01.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-old02.jpg

We thought we could still use the altered guards without it having too much of an effect, but when it came to mounting them, the gap was too big. We tried locating spares, and I had a pair for the front but I could just get one usable piece for the rear (a big thanks to Pankaj thebulletboy). It had its share of rust, and was patched up and finished.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-001.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-002.jpg

For the left side we had no option but to try and repair the original guard, and since we now had a template for the original cut, it was filled in and finished. They should have gone for re-chroming today, and hopefully the results will be satisfactory.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-003.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-004.jpg

The roof, which needed much finishing over and over again, has reached final stages, and should be painted today. The final setting of all panels too is dependent on the fitment of the roof, so I am glad its coming in place. Since this is a roof from a Mark 1, we are fitting roof badges with Herald script, which look cool anyways.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-006.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-007.jpg

New holders were fashioned to take the bullet parking light lens. A ring will be stuck over it to look neater. We are still awaiting the aluminium sheet bases, which will be fitted once they arrive.
1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-005.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 16:48   #58
BHPian

What an amazing thread Karl!! Read it with such interest. Congrats!! One question: Have you tried sourcing MRF whitewalls for the car or did the car initially come with full black bias ply tyres??Thanks.
Old 24th September 2014, 16:50   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
One question: Have you tried sourcing MRF whitewalls for the car or did the car initially come with full black bias ply tyres??Thanks.
Whitewall production stopped ages ago, and infact even black wall bias ply tyres are no longer available. So, I had to fit radials, which was a shame.

I guess whitewalls were offered as an option when new, and were certainly very popular in period. Interestingly the original sizes were 5.20 13 (like in the home market), while higher 5.60 13 could be specified as an option.
Old 24th September 2014, 17:54   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Whitewall production stopped ages ago, and infact even black wall bias ply tyres are no longer available. So, I had to fit radials, which was a shame.

I guess whitewalls were offered as an option when new, and were certainly very popular in period. Interestingly the original sizes were 5.20 13 (like in the home market), while higher 5.60 13 could be specified as an option.
Are you sure about that Karl? I've heard you can special order them from MRF. Some new restorations on Landmaster's, Fiat's etc have them so i guess its still available. Not sure though...
If that doesn't work check if you have someone in Australia who can ship you them
http://www.antiquetyres.com.au/tyre-...estone-vintage

Last edited by car love : 24th September 2014 at 18:09.

Most Viewed