Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2012, 19:57   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Enfield Fantabulus?

A Fantabulus advertisement - this is the kick-starter version, that followed the self- starter Fantabulus era!

Enfield Fantabulus?-picture-022.jpg

@ The mole your Fantabulus paint is looking superb. How could you exactly match the shades with the original ? Feel not many of these may be surviving in India right now. Do keep us posted with more pictures.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd September 2012 at 20:12.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 10:29   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007
A Fantabulus advertisement - this is the kick-starter version, that followed the self- starter Fantabulus era!

@ The mole your Fantabulus paint is looking superb. How could you exactly match the shades with the original ? Feel not many of these may be surviving in India right now. Do keep us posted with more pictures.
Hi Anjan da, it was a tough job to get the exact paint shade but the scooter was in the hands of an old timer who was able to get the right shade based on photos of powertwins bike and the original faded paint on my scooter. We used "verde" from the 2k catalog as a starting colour and added dashes of this and that till we got the pleasing end result. I was quite impressed when I saw the end product myself. Regards Amol
the mole is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 13:48   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Hi Anjan da, it was a tough job to get the exact paint shade...
Hello Amol, how is the restoration going on? Really eager to see the scooter in it's present state. Thanks in advance!
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 18:46   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Hello Amol, how is the restoration going on? Really eager to see the scooter in it's present state. Thanks in advance!
Hi Viju the Scooter is getting there, working on the finer details. But she's painted and ready and gone for touch up. She looks beautiful. Will post something very soon. But thanks for asking.
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:09   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju

Hi viju as promised some pics but hell lot of detailing pending not satisfied with the body and paint 100 percent
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Fantabulus?-image564929075.jpg  

the mole is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 08:01   #201
Senior - BHPian

Some more pics as its raining in Mumbai I am unable to get the scoot out of the garage for better photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Fantabulus?-image3453002267.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-image849698277.jpg  

the mole is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 08:05   #202
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some more pics as its raining in Mumbai I am unable to get the scoot out of the garage for better photos.

Looks good Amol. Is the horn grill out of alignment?

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 08:20   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post

Looks good Amol. Is the horn grill out of alignment?

Cheers

KPS
Yes it does, the problem is its raining so heavily here that i am unable to send it back to the garage for some alignment issues.
Old 3rd August 2013, 14:43   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Anjan da, it was a tough job to get the exact paint shade but the scooter was in the hands of an old timer who was able to get the right shade based on photos of powertwins bike and the original faded paint on my scooter. We used "verde" from the 2k catalog as a starting colour and added dashes of this and that till we got the pleasing end result. I was quite impressed when I saw the end product myself. Regards Amol
Amol, the scooter in the latest pictures is looking superb. As you say you are not satisfied with the paint job, maybe it is the finishing. The shade appears to be exactly the same as the original, I believe.
Is the self starter working? Believe this model did not have the kick-starter option.
This will be among the handful of Fantabulus' surviving, more so in the original British avatar. And in the originality stakes, it beats the rest !
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 15:53   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
As you say you are not satisfied with the paint job, maybe it is the finishing. The shade appears to be exactly the same as the original, I believe.
Is the self starter working? Believe this model did not have the kick-starter option.
Anjan-da thanks for your comments, don't get me wrong she is well painted and all that. It's just the minor detailing as rightly pointed out by KPS like the horn grill etc that needs alignment, very minor but needs to be done. Everything else is pretty sorted out. She Self starts everytime beautifully. The Siba Dyna starter was sorted out the Battery charges well. Need to get the Fanatbulus script laser cut for the front in Brass and then chrome plated for the front panel on the left.

Powertwin was my greatest source of support and he helped me with a lot of parts and pushed me on.

All said and done she is a odd little thing isn't she? But put her next to my series 1 lambretta and she just takes over the show. No one even looks at the Lambretta! thats just how she is.

When it gets sunny, I'll pull her out for some detail photographs. Till then she's all covered up.
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 02:05   #206
eko
BHPian

I am posting article written by me on Fanatabulus, which appeared in Indian auto in ' 97.
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Fantabulus?-img20160903wa0019.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-img20160903wa0018.jpg  

Last edited by eko : 23rd May 2017 at 02:07.
eko is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 15:12   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

So far I haven't seen any documentation on the exact year of introduction of the Fantabulus, chanced upon this article from the Madras facebook page confirming it as 1961.

Enfield Fantabulus?-fanta.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 15:55   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

One of my uncle's owned a Fantabulous. He purchased it in 1968. It had IIRC a self starter. In those days with wait lists that ran into years for a Vespa and months for the Lambretta the Fantabulous was the only option if you wanted a scooter urgently and couldn't wait for months or years. I traveled on it on dozens of occasions. But even in those days it was a rare sight. I do not know where it did on reliability. It was an Indian designed product which was quite something for the 1960s.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 12th March 2020 at 15:59.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 19:08   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Cricketer Farokh Engineer astride an Enfield Fantabulus scooter, presumably a publicity shot in Chennai. This one seems to have extra indicators fitted to the legshield - maybe an option or accessory?
Note the 3 wheeler chassis advertised in the back.

Enfield Fantabulus?-fanta05.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks