Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 20:44   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Some how I have missed this thread, anyway not too late. Here is a Fantabulous which was parked ever since I know my dads mechanic. We used to use it as a bench for sit and chat purpose.

The engine from this scooter was removed and fitted in a Crusader as both were sharing 175CC villiers engine. The only working part in the scooter is seat plate and few body parts. This scooter still having the original color scheme. The pictures are for your eyes:
Lovely. So is anything up for grabs? Im missing the seat plate on my scoot
Old 20th January 2009, 10:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Lovely. So is anything up for grabs? Im missing the seat plate on my scoot

May be... I can try talking to him next time when I visit my hometown (Tiruvannamalai). Optionally if you think any of your buddies wanted to try contacting him directly I can guide them how to reach the garage where this scooter parked.

He had suvega in dismantled condition without RC and sold the same for Rs.2,500/- so this is just for his expectation benchmarking.

If you can buy the scooter you can use:

1. Seat plate
2. Body tub
3. Rear carrier
4. Tail lamp holders
5. Wheel hubs
6. Pedals
7. Frame (chassis)
8. Handle bar
9. Head light fittings
10. Front grill
11. Front Mudguard
12. Petrol tank (as model)
13. Original ignition switch (or fork lock switch)

Last edited by trammway : 20th January 2009 at 10:45.
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2009, 06:21   #63
Senior - BHPian

While we discussing the Royal Enfield Fantabulus, I found one of my friend in orkut got the original user manual for the scooter. Picture of the same from his Orkut album for all your eyes.

Look at the color scheme from the book (though in grey shade), it matches to the wreck I found from my home town.

Enfield Fantabulus?-re_fantabulus.jpg
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2009, 07:09   #64
BHPian

IF this helps .....

A long time ago, I do remember reading an arcticle about a Bruce Soares from Andheri Bombay who did rebuild one of these.

Bruce is a active rider with Inddiethumpers, a RE club in Mumbai.

Cheers!
Old 21st January 2009, 20:29   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While we discussing the Royal Enfield Fantabulus, I found one of my friend in orkut got the original user manual for the scooter. Picture of the same from his Orkut album for all your eyes.

Look at the color scheme from the book (though in grey shade), it matches to the wreck I found from my home town.

Brilliant! Can you give us the orkut link as well? I would love to have a photocopy of that.
Old 21st January 2009, 20:58   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Brilliant! Can you give us the orkut link as well? I would love to have a photocopy of that.
Ofcourse yes. This guy name is Aditya Bose of Kerala. Here is the orkut album link. This user manual is part of his fathter's collection. He also got a 20years old Omega Seamaster wrist watch

orkut -
Old 22nd January 2009, 20:57   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ofcourse yes. This guy name is Aditya Bose of Kerala. Here is the orkut album link. This user manual is part of his fathter's collection. He also got a 20years old Omega Seamaster wrist watch

orkut -
nice to see an old manual of a rare scooter. I think there may be lesser Fantabulus' preserved in India, as compared to Landmasters, Fiats(1950's and early 60's) and many other cars and scooters/bikes that still continue to be kept in good condition.The Fantabulus' competitor for rarity is perhaps the 175 cc Rajdoot Runabout scooter.
Old 18th April 2009, 21:36   #68
BHPian

Got it... Enfeild Fatabulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Cyrus Bhai, If so, please try to post some pictures

regards
@ Girish
Sure, will post my recently acquired " Fatabulus", yet to be restored though!!
You can see her in flesh, when you visit CBE
@ All other friends:
Even before picking this "Fatabulus" Scooter, I have written some technical details about this machine at some other sites & I have tried my hands on a RE Sherha powertrain ( engine & gear box), that too on a similar type of engine, with "Siba-Dyna start" as in Fatabulus Scooter.
Let me tell some facts & figures, with some peiece (Peace) of history about this scooter!!
watch out....tommorow
Old 19th April 2009, 09:05   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Some how I have missed this thread, anyway not too late. Here is a Fantabulous which was parked ever since I know my dads mechanic. We used to use it as a bench for sit and chat purpose.

The engine from this scooter was removed and fitted in a Crusader as both were sharing 175CC villiers engine. The only working part in the scooter is seat plate and few body parts. This scooter still having the original color scheme. The pictures are for your eyes:
During my High School & College days, I used to work on a couple of Fantabulous Scooters.
I have observed a couple problems with these scooters. While all other 2-wheelers were having spring clutches, the Fantabulous used a diaphragm clutch. After riding the scooter for some time, the clutch used to start dragging slowly.

The 2nd problem was with the self starter. The dynamo ( a big one at that) does the duty of the electric starter as well. While cranking, the ignition is cut off and when the key is released, the Starter circuit is disconnected and Ignition is switched on and the engine fires. Being a 2-stroke engine, the engine some times fires in the reverse direction and runs smoothly. Releasing clutch propels the scooter in the reverse direction and a few times accidents have happened.

Since there is a battery, a small ignition lamp similar to the ones in the newer bikes was provided. It was noticed that everytime the engine fires & runs in the reverse direction, the pilot lamp becomes very bright instead of going off. Replacing this small Ignition Lamp with a bigger one managed to attact the attention of the rider to this abnormal running condition of the engine and to switch the ignition off restart again. This modification prevented further accidents.

These are my recollections. I am not aware if any other Fantabulous Scooters had these problems. Any comments/update on this matter is highly appreciated.
One + point was this Scooter have a very very Bright Head Light when compare to most of the cars and bikes of that time. Thanks to the very powerful dynamo.

P.S.
Hope I am not boring you busy guys with vintage stuff.
Old 19th April 2009, 09:21   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
One of the three is the brake lever, the next one is for the First gear, and the third one is for the other two gears! i feel they should have added two more levers, one for each gear! That would have been fun na??

The scooter is not in kerala,chetta. Its in delhi. i don't know the owner though.
If I remember correctly, the Gear pedels work like the modern bike toe and heel gear selectors. front pedel to shift gear in one direction and the rear pedel to shift in the opposite direction.
Old 19th April 2009, 21:32   #71
BHPian

Some thing about Fantabulus

Hi All,
Even before picking my RE Fantabulus scooter just few days before,I knew some thing about "Fantabulus".
There is lot misconception about this machine amoung bike enthusiasts, now I have both Sherpa & Fantabulus,so think, Iam eligible to say few words about Fantastic Fantabulus!!.
( Let me post the pics later....., coz there is more chance to go off the topic (technical features)
1) Though both sherpa & Fantabulus had 173cc Villiers powertrain ( integrated engine & gearbox) they differ in crank case & gear box construction.
1a) Sherpa had two types of engines ---- one with "Siba-dyna start" & other one with pure conventional Kick start { so we are talking about the one with siba-dyna start only, in this thread}
2) Gear ratios totally differ,coz F'lus had 10" wheels & Sherpa is 18" wheels
( there are more parameters to be taken into account....lets stay Basic!!)
3)Clutch in F'lus is simple Multi plate ,oil running one, ( not diaphram clutch as told by some of our friend.,...........)
4)Sherpa has 18mm lodge type spark plug, whereas F'lus has 14mm short reach plug
5) Exhaust construction is entirly differant,....so needless to say there will be differance in " Exhaust Duration" ( this I am talking about Port location)
5a) this I am telling in particular,coz even I have heard about people "Transplating Engine from F"lus to Sherpa & visversa" on those days.
6) Gear shifter pedal (S) in F'lus is nothing but our " Toe& heel" operation, but ,the ergonomics of the pedals is so fantastic (toe position is in offset with the Heel shifter)
7)Now about the " Siba-Dyna start" in F'lus:
Though the construction is bit cumbersome & complicated, this is a best method,if one understands this method.........if he is going to lay his hands on this part of the machine!!
"I guess, this was the fundamental aspect, which made our mechanics(on those days) to keep away from this machine."
( still, you can see some old timers,flashing stories of reverse rotation of the engine & stuff!!.....how can this happen????
..........I'll be pleased to hear,if some one could explain this technically!!)
On my opinion, this Scooter would have been a smash hit in UK, market if Royal Enfeild, have not closed their doors at Redditch at 1964,provided if the export policy of Enfeild India, worked good.
As told by some in this thread, Battery quality would have been not up to the mark on those days.
Technical Details of Fantabulus:
Engine: Villiers two stroke, fan cooled, with built in self starter.
Bore X stroke : 59 X 63.5 mm
capacity:173cc / power out put: 7.4 Bhp @ 5000rpm
4 speed / final drive by chain thru' rubber cush drive in rear wheel.
Suspension : Front ;- Leading dual link pivotted fork with hydralic dampers.
Rear; - Single swing arm pivotted with hydralic dampers ( shockabsorbers)
Wheels: 10" splitable rims ...interchangeable F&R
Electricals: battery;- 6V^ 12 amp....2 nos connected in series
Head lamp ; Miller, pre focused 12 V 36 W / 36 w.
* Gear neautral indicator
** Ignition indicator light
*** Trafficators ( optional)
Un laden weight :130 kgms
will post my F'lus pics tommorow, yet to be restored though.
Old 19th April 2009, 21:38   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
During my High School & College days, I used to work on a couple of Fantabulous Scooters.

P.S.
Hope I am not boring you busy guys with vintage stuff.

Not at all, sudharma
Pleased to hear from you, No Bhpian will think its boring,.....if the post is related to Automobiles.
cheers!!
Old 20th April 2009, 13:32   #73
BHPian

Hi Powertwin

I have a 69 Sherpa and i have posted the pics on a Sherpa thread, i will be starting to restore mine during the monsoons when i am in India. Mine is running well and has no technical problems however will you be able to throw some light on the engine and some other techincalities that is on my Sherpa just for my knowledge
Old 20th April 2009, 21:12   #74
BHPian

My Fantabulus 1963

Here is my "Fantabulus Scooter" ( recently added to my collection, needs restoration though !!)

She has clocked just 17000 + kms till now ( she was off the road from 1972 onwards)
Original paint,with complete vital parts, except , the 5 position panel switch knob ( wipac), neautral lght, ignition light.
They have tried to start & layed their hands on the electrical circuit some time a year before, totally removed all wires &left as such, luckily they did not proceed further with engine & stuff.
The fuel tank was sent for cleaning & now they are searching
I was lucky enough to trace the original seat plate, with a upholstry guy with some regular moulded foam & a lousy cover.
ps: @ Karl : Ji can you send me few pics of the fuel tank ,showing all details with dimensions from that Fanta's you have posted in this thread.
pps: Complete electricals was fixed at my garage the same day and started with regular check ups & fed ups (?)
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Fantabulus?-f1.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-f2.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-f3.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-f4.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-f5.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-f6.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-f7.jpg  

powertwin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2009, 10:34   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Here is my "Fantabulus Scooter" (recently added to my collection, needs restoration though)

She has clocked just 17000 + kms till now ( she was off the road from 1972 onwards)
Original paint,with complete vital parts, except , the 5 position panel switch knob (wipac), neutral light, ignition light.
That looks like one of the best preserved scoots around. Congratulations. I would leave it in original paint if I were you

Shall gladly give you details on the fuel tank from my scooter two weeks later when I return home.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks