Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2009, 11:00   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Here is my "Fantabulus Scooter" ( recently added to my collection, needs restoration though !!)

She has clocked just 17000 + kms till now ( she was off the road from 1972 onwards)
Original paint,with complete vital parts, except , the 5 position panel switch knob ( wipac), neautral lght, ignition light.
They have tried to start & layed their hands on the electrical circuit some time a year before, totally removed all wires &left as such, luckily they did not proceed further with engine & stuff.
The fuel tank was sent for cleaning & now they are searching
I was lucky enough to trace the original seat plate, with a upholstry guy with some regular moulded foam & a lousy cover.
ps: @ Karl : Ji can you send me few pics of the fuel tank ,showing all details with dimensions from that Fanta's you have posted in this thread.
pps: Complete electricals was fixed at my garage the same day and started with regular check ups & fed ups (?)
Hi Powertwin,
Thats a nice machine you got there. It about 45 years since I worked on one of these Scooters. I may be wrong about the clutch being diaphragm type. I also had been looking a Fanta' for some time.

Please keep updating on your restoration progress.

Wish you all the best in the restoration work.
Old 21st April 2009, 11:06   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Here is my "Fantabulus Scooter" ( recently added to my collection, needs restoration though !!)
The black and white Lambretta visible in two photos looks really nice! Could you post pics of that in the "Lambretta Lovers" thread?
Old 21st April 2009, 20:46   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
That looks like one of the best preserved scoots around. Congratulations. I would leave it in original paint if I were you

Shall gladly give you details on the fuel tank from my scooter two weeks later when I return home.
Thanks a lot Karl......for you big heart,
But
How can we leave the rusted & dented portions as such ???
We can strictly follow the original paint scheme.
And
Do you have any pics of the scoot,showing the " hand painted details" on the middle of the front leg sheild ?
Old 22nd April 2009, 07:33   #79
BHPian

Mr. MKK that is a really FAntaBULOUS scoot. What next?

JayD has posted some nice pics here, which includes a front view but the painting is not clear. Hopefully he has another pic or probably knows the location of the scoot and can take a closeup view of it.

Cheers.

Last edited by TuffRyder : 22nd April 2009 at 07:36.
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:37   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But
And
Do you have any pics of the scoot,showing the " hand painted details" on the middle of the front leg sheild ?

Refer my post in the following page, you will see the rusted beauty still with the original paint scheme.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...abulous-4.html
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:19   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But
And
Your pictures are the most detailed I have seen till now. My scooter is beyond restoration with too many things not salvagable. There isn't even 5% paint left on it, forget paint details. But it feels nice to say I have one
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:45   #82
BHPian

Hi Powertwin

I can only express my feelings for your scoot in two words Fantastic and Faboulous

Lucky Man !!
Old 22nd April 2009, 16:14   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Powertwin:

Indeed a Fantabulous Fantabulus you have there!

Ironically I was told of one junking away at some place when I was in Vizag a few years ago- only the person who told me about it said that it was a Lambretta with a "square body" modification......so I thought it was some modded Lammy and avoided going to look at it! Only to realise later that it was a Fantabulus!

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd April 2009 at 16:19.
Old 22nd April 2009, 19:02   #84
BHPian

gREAT

Simply Fantastic Acquisition!

Keep it up!

Cheers!

Last edited by SA7VA5 : 22nd April 2009 at 19:03.
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:39   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Mr. MKK that is a really FAntaBULOUS scoot. What next?

JayD has posted some nice pics here, which includes a front view but the painting is not clear. Hopefully he has another pic or probably knows the location of the scoot and can take a closeup view of it.

Cheers.
Nopes. I have already seen those pics, that leg sheild " Hand painted logo" is missing, instead think they have put some water slde decal( enfeild).
Today with some "magnifying lens" I was able to make out ( though we cant catch in our cam, I have already tranfered the details in a tracing sheet...... have to check with my Dad's friend !!)
Old 23rd April 2009, 20:13   #86
BHPian

Fanta's gearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
One of the three is the brake lever, the next one is for the First gear, and the third one is for the other two gears! i feel they should have added two more levers, one for each gear! That would have been fun na??

Jokes apart JayD
See how the stuff works,from this schematic sketch.
Its a " toe & heel" shift pattern, but cleverly off- setted lateraly, since its on the floor board.
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Fantabulus?-figure.jpg  

powertwin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2009, 20:40   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

powertwin can be sure that this is the only original surviving example of the bygone era.The paint scheme is straight from the Madras Royal Enfield factory.Does the self starter work? The kick starter option was introduced only in 1970 or so. The self's used to conk off, leaving the riders in the lurch.There's a dash below the handlebar on nthe top inner side of the front guards.There used to be a switch and a light (maybe for highbeam) there as far as I can recall.
Old 23rd April 2009, 23:04   #88
BHPian

What about the Morris? in the 5th photograph?
Old 24th April 2009, 20:11   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
What about the Morris? in the 5th photograph?
Yes, its my Morris 1000 ( Tiger 1000),needs good paint job & upholstry work.
will take up the resto work after completing my Piaggio Ape' (1954- type B) & James ml restoration projects.
Other than that, she works to her full potential
Old 24th April 2009, 21:27   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
powertwin can be sure that this is the only original surviving example of the bygone era.The paint scheme is straight from the Madras Royal Enfield factory.Does the self starter work? The kick starter option was introduced only in 1970 or so. The self's used to conk off, leaving the riders in the lurch.There's a dash below the handlebar on nthe top inner side of the front guards.There used to be a switch and a light (maybe for highbeam) there as far as I can recall.
Well, anjan bro, this kind sharing thoughts & memories in the forum really helps the fellow members to get involved in the topic.

Yes, the self starter works (wasn't working till she came to me, "thats why she was passed to my hands!!!) :-) now fixed!!

About this starter - "Siba Dynastart"
The Siba"Dynastart, fitted to a number of British & other European motorbikes is also a DC-output generator. It incorparates a face commutatator within the rotor. When the Rotor is fitted the commutator bars impact with an arrangement of four carbon brushes. The brushes act like those of the spindle-type commutator to pick up current, transmitting to voltage control unit & battery for lighting & coil iginition.
Like the spindle commutator, the Siba will " motor" if current is reversed through the windings and this is employed to make the siba generator act also as a starter.

The brushes, therefore have double duty:
(1) Picking up current from the face commutator
(2) Delivering it back from battery to make the rotor spin & start the engine.

IN THIS TYPE OF SET UP : It is advisable to remove rotor at intervals of atleast 15000 kms, to inspect the brushes & clean the deposits in between commutator bars. Brushes are marked to show permmissable (max) wear. Only one should be dismantaled at a time, to avoid losing the predetermined setting of brush holders. The working involves removing engine cover (outer), extracting the rotor from the main shaft of the engine, Contact breaker mechanism (points....to say simple) is housed in the engine cover and cam is screwed to the rotor face. To do this properly all we need is a special tool (by siba), obiviously most of mech friends are pretty allergic, I think, even this also would have made our Old time mech gurus to say "Ho !! No !!".....Fantabulus.
.....Failure Fantabulus.

PS: How can one expect a dynastart unit to work good, without even cleaning the carbon deposits???
PPS: Many ex-Enfeild authorised service center mechanics, never knew to dismantale the rotor & above said stuff (1960's mechs I mean)

And about the "Controls & its location" you are right, let me post a sketch showing the details of the set up:

Panel Switch has five positions:
PK - OFF - IG & CH - H - L

PK - parking
IG & CH - ignition & charging( it must be in this position when running)
H - hl, speedo 7 tail lights on
L - all lightson except Headlight
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Fantabulus?-switch.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th April 2009 at 15:25. Reason: Post edited bigtime. PM to follow.

Most Viewed