Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2009, 15:02   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Ah... I don't know how many hands this scooter has jumped in a short time. After posting this picture when I was talking to powertwin, he stated that the same scooter was featured in an article in Hindu new paper(Dec 20, 2006), the person posing on the article is not my friend.

The Hindu : Metro Plus Chennai / Wheels : A Bullet in scooter's clothing

Now, you are referring the deal had happen in Kolhapur. WoW When was it put on deal in Kolhapur ? Is it after or before the hindu article mentioned above ?
From what I understand the bike was bought new in Kolhapur, and remained with one owner for many years, till bought and taken to Bangalore or Madras (I cant remember). I dont know the story from there on, but when in Bangalore/Madras, was offered to me.
Old 28th June 2009, 14:35   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This bike has been discussed earlier on the forum as well. I think she came form Kolhapur. Very nice scoot. It was offered to me for sale some time back, out of my budget at the time, and today as well. But in retrospect I should have followed it up.
Had you mentioned this before to me, we could have picked her up for our Indian classics museum Too late.
Old 28th June 2009, 19:18   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Had you mentioned this before to me, we could have picked her up for our Indian classics museum Too late.
Sorry for going but what's with this "our Indian classics museum??" What are you 2 guys upto now? Do you mind divulging the secret??
Old 28th October 2009, 15:36   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

For lack of a dedicated thread, this rare Rajdoot Runabout finds a place here

Enfield Fantabulus?-raj.jpg

Flickr Photo Download: DSCN2816
Old 10th December 2009, 23:29   #125
Senior - BHPian

A brand new Fantabulus rear break drum cum sprocket, I think this is shared with a 350cc standard bullet too.

Enfield Fantabulus?-fantabulusspro.jpg

Enfield Fantabulus?-fblussproc.jpg
Old 17th November 2010, 18:18   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
In an attempt to get some more missing parts for my Bobby I found a Fantabulous parked at my friend's place. This bike is not for sale, however I wanted to record the available fantabulous scooters in India. Hence the picture for viewing pleasure.

Attachment 149120

Attachment 149121

Attachment 149122

Attachment 149123

Attachment 149124

Attachment 149125

Attachment 149126

Attachment 149131
& Now none other than our GPV ( Girish )is the owner of this Fantabulus, but think it is a " KICK START" version, not a " Siba-Dyna start" one!!
@ Girish: some info about your fantabulus,if you don't mind
Old 18th November 2010, 09:00   #127
BHPian

Is this the same bike both Trammway and Powertwin mentioned?
Old 18th November 2010, 11:18   #128
Senior - BHPian

The Fantabulous has inspired me in those days with its herald car resembling rear. During my college days one of my friends had one. His elder brother had another one.

The Fantabulous had a Villiers engine which was also powering the Enfield Crusader bike.

Another thing to be noted is that the same Villiers Engine was the prime mover for the three wheeled Badal car produced by Sipani Auto.

Last edited by rajeev k : 18th November 2010 at 11:19. Reason: corrections
Old 20th November 2010, 22:12   #129
BHPian

A Correction !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The Fantabulous has inspired me in those days with its herald car resembling rear. During my college days one of my friends had one. His elder brother had another one.

The Fantabulous had a Villiers engine which was also powering the Enfield Crusader bike.

Another thing to be noted is that the same Villiers Engine was the prime mover for the three wheeled Badal car produced by Sipani Auto.
Of course FANTABULUS scooter has a Villiers 2 stroke engine, but that engine is different from that one from the Enfield CRUSADER
This engine of Fantabulus had different port timing & different Gear ratios
( as it is a integrated powertrain) & it had a special " Siba-dyna" start feature, which was first & last of its kind in any Indian automobile.
Nopes its absolutly wrong friend!!
BADAL - 3 wheeler had a 200cc , 2 stroke Italian engine, it had nothing to do with Villiers engine( British origin)
Though I couldn't get the exact name of the Engine manufacturer, for sure it was Italian stuff, resembling a Lambretta series 2 Engine, even with a close ratio gear train of Innocenti GP series.
A additional info: the name SIPANI AUTO was formed only when they were into Production of Dolphin cars @ mid '80 s only.
Old 20th November 2010, 22:13   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomus123 View Post

Yes, the same fatabulus,...likely to be early '70s I suppose
Old 25th December 2010, 15:14   #131
BHPian

re: Enfield Fantabulus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
& Now none other than our GPV ( Girish )is the owner of this Fantabulus, but think it is a " KICK START" version, not a " Siba-Dyna start" one!!
@ Girish: some info about your fantabulus,if you don't mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by glomus123 View Post

@glomus123 - Yes, that is the same Fantabulus and its safely parked in my garage.

@Trammway....don't worry, there will not be any changes in owner for some time....hehe

@Muthu sir, Its kick start and the RC book says 1970, rest as you know its 2stroke villers engine 150cc
7.4 Bhp
Foot operated gear

In November I took it for a ride of about 80 kms, which was sweet ride, very comfortable.

Fantabulus = it was claimed that it was short for fantastic performance, fabulous price (read in one of the RE blog spot)

cheers

Last edited by girishpv : 25th December 2010 at 15:19.
Old 19th May 2011, 15:47   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
My Dad used to have a Fantabulous. One thing he remembers about it was that the front and the rear were not aligned and hence had a slightly skewed appearance!
Can you get some clarifications from your Dad, regarding FANTABULUS....
* What you mean by saying front & rear were not aligned ??
you mean front & rear wheels ??
since you have mentioned "appearance" !!
Think you are talking about the looks...
Old 19th May 2011, 15:50   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
@glomus123 - Yes, that is the same Fantabulus and its safely parked in my garage.

@Trammway....don't worry, there will not be any changes in owner for some time....hehe

@Muthu sir, Its kick start and the RC book says 1970, rest as you know its 2stroke villers engine 150cc
7.4 Bhp

Foot operated gear

In November I took it for a ride of about 80 kms, which was sweet ride, very comfortable.

Fantabulus = it was claimed that it was short for fantastic performance, fabulous price (read in one of the RE blog spot)

cheers
Yep!! it is 2 stroke , Villiers engine 173 cc, not 150 cc ( guess a typing mistake)
Old 19th May 2011, 16:05   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Hey! If i'm not mistaken, this scooter had a self start!!! (it was the first in the country i think), also it was radically different from normal scooters in many ways, like its engine cover could not be completely removed, there was a hole or something to tune the engine,had twin tail lamps on mini 'fins', a spre wheel mounted SUV style, full length footboard... etc etc! There's an old man in kerala who still rides it daily, and he's the first owner of it!!
*If i'm not mistaken, this scooter had a self start!!!
>>From 1962 till mid 1967 it was a "Siba-dyna" start ( yes, self start version)

**it was the first in the country i think
>> yes you are right !!

***....like its engine cover could not be completely removed, there was a hole or something to tune the engine
>> No, the whole bottom portion under the seat can be removed with or without seat itself, by just unscrewing few bolts....it makes easy access of the engine & stuff for the Fantabulus TUNER ()
simply speaking it is more convenient than Lambs & Vespas in this aspect
>>> Jay D , you can observe 2 holes on the left & a single hole on the right side of the body
The front end holes are meant for ventilation , & rear left hole for operating the push pull fuel tap.
* had twin tail lamps on mini 'fins'
>> Nopes, they are not lights, just red reflectors

,BTW, are you still in India or abroad??
Cheers!!
KMK

Last edited by powertwin : 19th May 2011 at 16:07. Reason: spelling
Old 21st May 2011, 11:08   #135

Hello all. Am quite a newcomer to the Team BHP community.

I have recently acquired an Enfield Fantabuls Scooter and it was quite a herculean task though. ( Its quite a long story and would narrate that experience later) .

The Fantabulus thread on this forum is really informative with all vital expert inputs.

The Scooter needs some restoration and need all your help and expert advise for the same. Any suggestions of a good mechanic in Bangalore to do the work. Am uploading some pictures for your reference.

Its a 1967 Enfield Fantabulus. Kick start version. Been with a single owner and was not used for a very long time.
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Fantabulus?-photo0336_crop.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-photo0337_crop.jpg  

zingpacer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks