Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:15   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Im not sure about the electric start. Though I dont remember seeing a kick lever on it. Hmmm...! The rajdoot runabout for sure had a starter.

Any pics would be of great help. Next time you see one do get me some snaps.

Cheers
"The rajdoot runabout for sure had a starter."

@ Karl : No, Rajdoot Runabout was not a Electric starter...it is pure Kick start machine !!
Only Three , 2 wheelers pre mid '80s to have electric starter in India are:- 1) Fantabulus( only early models)
2) Sherpha ( only early models)
Both the above machines had the " Siba Dyna start" in a Villiers mill.
and other was a step through "PEGOUT SPORTIF", a 50cc machine, brought to us by m/s Chammundi Mopeds ltd., Tumkur ,Karanataka.
Yes, recently I have picked a Sportif also !!
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingpacer View Post
Hello all. Am quite a newcomer to the Team BHP community.

I have recently acquired an Enfield Fantabuls Scooter and it was quite a herculean task though. ( Its quite a long story and would narrate that experience later) .

The Fantabulus thread on this forum is really informative with all vital expert inputs.

The Scooter needs some restoration and need all your help and expert advise for the same. Any suggestions of a good mechanic in Bangalore to do the work. Am uploading some pictures for your reference.
If you would have gone through some previous pages in this thread, you can see compare the control set of " Siba-dyna start version" & "kick start version"

Its a 1967 Enfield Fantabulus. Kick start version. Been with a single owner and was not used for a very long time.
Hi Kevin,
So finally you have successfully posted the pics of you Fantabulus!
Overall, the scoot seems to be in pretty good shape, As the picture quality is not that good, can see your clutch levers has been replaced with RE Bullet sheet metal levers & guess it has been re-painted.
You asked for a 5 position wipac rotary switch (while discussing with me)
As your Fanta is a kick start version, it will have a 3 position push pull switch, for which I am posting a pic, which will clarify your doubts.
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Fantabulus?-5.jpg  

Last edited by karlosdeville : 23rd May 2011 at 18:38. Reason: Back-to-back posts
powertwin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:22   #137
BHPian

re: Enfield Fantabulus?

Hi Powertwin,
congratulations for the sportiff. Nice to see that somebody still finds it interesting. I have very fond memories of that moped, rather i learnt to ride on it. I am trying to convince a garage owner who's got couple of them with him, to give me one. I hope it works out.

Priyadarshan

Last edited by priyadarshan.b : 23rd May 2011 at 19:23.
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:37   #138

@ Powertwin. Thanks a lot for that bit of info. I would post some clearer pictures. The scoot is in good shape. No rusting and those kind of troubles including the tank. To my best of knowledge this vehicle is not been painted. The kick start versions were produced in single color, at the same time nothing to beat your eyes. At least thats what I have been told by the previous owner.

I would desperately need to source that three way switch. If you could give me some directions to procure the same that would of great help. The scoot got started without much efforts was the biggest turn on for me.
Old 24th May 2011, 08:10   #139
BHPian

Congratulations Zingpacer for the buy!! Seems the scootter in pretty good shape. Please do update us on the restoration!!

With thanks and regards

Quote:
@ Powertwin. Thanks a lot for that bit of info. I would post some clearer pictures. The scoot is in good shape. No rusting and those kind of troubles including the tank. To my best of knowledge this vehicle is not been painted. The kick start versions were produced in single color, at the same time nothing to beat your eyes. At least thats what I have been told by the previous owner.

I would desperately need to source that three way switch. If you could give me some directions to procure the same that would of great help. The scoot got started without much efforts was the biggest turn on for me.
Old 24th May 2011, 11:20   #140

Thanks @ Glomus. Would surely upload the pics. Planning to start the restoration work immediately. Hope everything pans out well and I would be able to garner those bit of missing links to make it perfect.

Kind Regards
Old 28th May 2011, 12:07   #141

Was doing some online search on Fantabulus scooters and I came across this DKR scooters of UK of 1960s.

D.K.R. Scooters

Out of all their scooters this model called "capella" caught my attention. It has got a lot of similarities with our Fantabulus in many ways. Let me paste the relevant portion here.

"1960 saw the launch of the 'Capella', powered by a 148c.c., single-cylinder, two-stroke Villiers engine, with a top speed of 53m.p.h. and a selling price of £144.9s.6d.
It was fitted with a 3-speed gearbox, Villiers carburettor, and had a kick starter.

There was also the ' Capella Standard', fitted with a 173c.c. Villiers engine, a four-speed gearbox, and sold for £152.13s.6d.

There were also two de luxe versions with an electric starter. The 173c.c. model was priced at £166.10s.10d. and the 200c.c. model was priced at £173.13s.10d.

Sadly production ceased in 1966, due to falling sales and increased foreign competition."

@ MuthuSir: Don't you feel a lot of similarities.

I could also locate a restoration work of the same in youtube( That is of a 150 cc Capella. Link enclosed bellow)

I felt our own Fantabulus looked much cuter compared to Capella. And she would have been a big hit in the UK market.
Old 5th June 2011, 20:18   #142
BHPian

Re: Enfield Fantabulus?

Quote:
Was doing some online search on Fantabulus scooters and I came across this DKR scooters of UK of 1960s.

D.K.R. Scooters

Out of all their scooters this model called "capella" caught my attention. It has got a lot of similarities with our Fantabulus in many ways. Let me paste the relevant portion here.

"1960 saw the launch of the 'Capella', powered by a 148c.c., single-cylinder, two-stroke Villiers engine, with a top speed of 53m.p.h. and a selling price of £144.9s.6d.
It was fitted with a 3-speed gearbox, Villiers carburettor, and had a kick starter.

There was also the ' Capella Standard', fitted with a 173c.c. Villiers engine, a four-speed gearbox, and sold for £152.13s.6d.

There were also two de luxe versions with an electric starter. The 173c.c. model was priced at £166.10s.10d. and the 200c.c. model was priced at £173.13s.10d.

Sadly production ceased in 1966, due to falling sales and increased foreign competition."

@ MuthuSir: Don't you feel a lot of similarities.

Zingpacer, I even have some literature about DKR scoots, which you have mentioned
Though, both ( DKR & F'bus) shared same power-train from Villiers ,There is some difference in the Chassis geometry, particulaly, Fanta has a bike type of rear swing arm chassis, hence Fantablus was termed as " a Scooter in Bike's clothing".
Just wait for a month, a article is published at "The Scootering" magazine's July 2011 issue, where you can see my Fatabulus, me & my article (written by Mr.Graham Finch), where we have discussed all these aspects ( but 'am afraid,where the name DKR, will be used, as we didn't get
any sort authentic papers of that period.)
Cheers!!
Old 5th June 2011, 20:23   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Zingpacer, I even have some literature about DKR scoots, which you have mentioned
Though, both ( DKR & F'bus) shared same power-train from Villiers ,There is some difference in the Chassis geometry, particulaly, Fanta has a bike type of rear swing arm chassis, hence Fantablus was termed as " a Scooter in Bike's clothing".
Just wait for a month, a article is published at "The Scootering" magazine's July 2011 issue, where you can see my Fatabulus, me & my article (written by Mr.Graham Finch), where we have discussed all these aspects ( but 'am afraid,where the name DKR, will be used, as we didn't get
any sort authentic papers of that period.)
Cheers!!
@ all : please find a article in " Scootering" magazine (UK), some thing about our guys
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MUTHUKUMAR - MAY - 2011.pdf (728.2 KB, 692 views)
Old 8th June 2011, 07:38   #144
BHPian

Quote:
@ all : please find a article in " Scootering" magazine (UK), some thing about our guys
Congratulations!! I have read the whole article. It has some nice photos too!!

With thanks and regards
Old 9th June 2011, 20:55   #145
BHPian

Wipac Trikon switch for Fanta !!

Have literally forgotten my Fantabulus for past 10 months or so...Mr.Graham Finch( of Scootering mag.U.K) & Kevin have re-ignited me !!
Result: went on to source a " Horn Grill cover" for my Fantabulus( thought of fabricating one)
& as a bonus picked another "Wipac trikon switch" also ( this switch is only for Siba-dyna start version scoots)

Also a original Wipac Tail light assembly for my BSA Bantam D1, second hand though!!( already had a replica light for my Bantam)

think, next restO will be Fantabulus
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Fantabulus?-sdc10064.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-sdc10067.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-sdc10068.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-sdc10069.jpg  

Enfield Fantabulus?-sdc10070.jpg  

Old 18th June 2011, 17:39   #146
Senior - BHPian

Dear Powertwin,

What are the closest matches to replacing the rear tail light reflectors for Fatabulus?
Also the drawing of the fantabulus on the cover of the owners manual shows the absence of the rear spare tire, was that an option? Did people get rid of it for a sleeker look? Also what is the best replacement for the tail light? Does a crusader one match?

rgds
The mole
Old 19th June 2011, 21:42   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Dear Powertwin,

What are the closest matches to replacing the rear tail light reflectors for Fatabulus?
Also the drawing of the fantabulus on the cover of the owners manual shows the absence of the rear spare tire, was that an option? Did people get rid of it for a sleeker look? Also what is the best replacement for the tail light? Does a crusader one match?

rgds
The mole
First congratulations for picking a Fantabulus , guess the scoot has reached your end, unlike the ROBY!!
About the rear Tail lights I have written in this same page....Yes they are NOT LIGHTS, it is just REFLECTORS,
Tail light is the same RE Bullet's tail light, which is fitted on the Spare Wheel cover( yes Crusader also shared the same Light...it is still the order for standard Bullets up to '78) Minda makes a good quality lights.
Regarding spare wheel:
It can't be option, as the very purpose of having a scooter is it that it has a spare wheel, without SW, it can't be ...& more than that as the TAIL LIGHT fitment area is in the Face of the SW plate.. hence it is not a option
will send you parts catalog to you next weekend..till then here you go with pics of the rear END REFLECTORSof this pretty old lady
powertwin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 08:58   #148
Senior - BHPian

Dear Muthu Sir thank you for the info, What make reflectors best suit the tail fins? I look forward to a copy of the parts catalog with anticipation.

On a funny note how will you get the opportunity to give me Roby related puns if i pick it up from you so fast right
Old 29th July 2011, 20:32   #149
BHPian

Enfield's forgotten FANTABULUS- from SCOOTERING mag!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomus123 View Post
Congratulations!! I have read the whole article. It has some nice photos too!!

With thanks and regards
This Fantabulus seems to reach at Indian hands, very ahead of its TIME
U.K's Scootering magazine 's August 2011 issue, was sent to me by the Editor Mr.Allan, as an article has been published about Me & My FANTABULUS, before it hit the stands I guess...
Here is the article>>
Scootering - August-11-Fantabulus.pdf
Old 31st July 2011, 20:26   #150
BHPian

Re: Enfield's forgotten FANTABULUS- from SCOOTERING mag!!

Quote:
This Fantabulus seems to reach at Indian hands, very ahead of its TIME
U.K's Scootering magazine 's August 2011 issue, was sent to me by the Editor Mr.Allan, as an article has been published about Me & My FANTABULUS, before it hit the stands I guess...
Here is the article>>
Scootering - August-11-Fantabulus.pdf
Very much enjoyed reading the very informative article on this great scooter in this month's Scootering magazine powertwin

Regards
Ed

Most Viewed